Greatest Mint Medal ever,,,,,,,,,

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2021 11:01AM

@DCW said:

@JBK said:

@DCW said:
    $160? Jeez. What were they priced at previously ?

$40 (rounded up).

Ok. That is crazy. It probably has been discussed but can someone explain why the Mint would wake up one day and say, "We need to charge 4x more?"

I think they want to recover all the costs associated with the medal issues from sales.

It is very problematic if they are going to make the bronze buyers pay the freight for the Congressional Gold medals.

Plus, their calculations will be blown out of the water when sales dry up due to the price increase. And the govt bean counters will be shocked. :)

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d like to see more medal designers take on the “3/4 profile” that some ancient coins display. It’s an attractive look and I haven’t seen it done too often.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

@JBK said:

@DCW said:
    $160? Jeez. What were they priced at previously ?

$40 (rounded up).

Ok. That is crazy. It probably has been discussed but can someone explain why the Mint would wake up one day and say, "We need to charge 4x more?"

It's the inflation that they are telling us doesn't exist.

thefinn
  • Options
    MrSmithMrSmith Posts: 49 ✭✭

At $160ea I don't think many will sell. But being a low mintage does not make it rare, just look at the spouses. All the political comments only prove that even on coin forums the country has a long long road to travel to achieve unity. For even here art work cannot be appreciated without condemning the subject.

• Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Like all the modern US mint medals for the last couple of decades, this seems pretty plain to me. These end up being more a mirror to reflect one's political beliefs.

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

@johnnyj said:
    I have been a fan of this forum until this post. I am OUT

I have read all the posts in my thread and can't understand what has gotten Johnny all riled-up?

Can someone PM me the details?

I think Presidential medals are a good idea especially a Trump medal....... it's gonna be hard to erase that history !

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scary to think of, but think the mint will make any new civil war tokens or medals one day? Eeek. Let's hope not.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3stars said:
    What’s with the sailing ship on the FDR reverse? Is that from his time as a searcher on Oak Island?😂

Roosevelt's First Inaugural Medal in 1933 had shown a somewhat boring side view of the U.S.S. Constitution and the same quote from Longfellow, at Roosevelt's request. FDR had served as Assistant Secretary of the Navy during World War One, and he always loved sailing, which may explain his preference for "Old Ironsides."

As the sculptor who had done Roosevelt's Third Inaugural Medal in 1941 was sketching FDR for the Fourth Inaugural Medal in December of 1944, FDR told him to use the ship and quote again. The result was spectacular.

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    I'm still hung up on the 4x price increase. :D
    These things were poor sellers before, so the Mint jacks the price UP that much?
    Typical government agency logic.

Well, there's not a lot of point selling more at a number that represents a loss.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@DCW said:
    These things were poor sellers before, so the Mint jacks the price UP that much?

Well, there's not a lot of point selling more at a number that represents a loss.

Do you think they are going to somehow sell more at four times the price? Or even 25% of what they were selling at the lower price?
    Honest question here 🤔
    Makes zero sense to me, but admittedly I wasn't buying these things before.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@dcstuff said:

@Namvet69 said:
    What Forrest Gump said. Peace Roy

@Namvet69 said:
    What Forrest Gump said. Peace Roy

what does this mean ?

“My Mama always said you've got to put the past behind you before you can move on.” – Forrest.

"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get"

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DCW said:

Do you think they are going to somehow sell more at four times the price? Or even 25% of what they were selling at the lower price?
    Honest question here 🤔

It isn’t clear what the Mint’s intentions are in raising prices so dramatically.

That said, people do not make rational choices, especially when shopping. At times, raising the price of an item will actually trigger increased sales.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldenEgg said:

@DCW said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DCW said:

Honest question here 🤔

It isn’t clear what the Mint’s intentions are in raising prices so dramatically.

That said, people do not make rational choices, especially when shopping. At times, raising the price of an item will actually trigger increased sales.

They should try $240 in a couple of weeks

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

What I find interesting is that the US Mint obverse design is not original. It is the same design that Medal Craft mint published when announcing it would make the “official” medal celebrating the president’s inauguration.

This is the US Mint design:

And this is the design published by the Medal Craft Mint in 2017:

I haven’t followed these closely, but I’m not sure whether they actually executed the design, but they may have ended up issuing something simpler:

Regardless, of all of the higher quality Medallic productions celebrating the inauguration/presidency, they are all forward facing portraits. I wonder if that is a perspective that Trump prefers?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2021 7:18PM

@jwitten said:
    Scary to think of, but think the mint will make any new civil war tokens or medals one day? Eeek. Let's hope not.

By new civil war tokens and medals, do you mean ones they struck before?

The Paris Mint is regularly issuing new Libertas Americana medals, along with Intaglio Mint / Limited Mintage and others, all to collector acclaim, so why not the US Mint?

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldenEgg said:
    What I find interesting is that the US Mint obverse design is not original. It is the same design that Medal Craft mint published when announcing it would make the “official” medal celebrating the president’s inauguration.

An interesting catch which convinces me even more that the U.S. Mint is all out of ideas.

I wonder if they made a deal with Medal Craft.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@coinkat said:

For those in search of a medal... Jo Davidson captures so much that places this Inaugural Medal in a class by itself.

Fantastic artistry. But don't think for a moment that FDR was universally admired at the time. :*

“Universally” is a strong word. No president has ever been admired “universally.” FDR was certainly one of the most popular presidents.

Just to make the distinction. This medal was the official 1945 inaugural medal, which is different from the mint presidential medals. The inaugural medals are only issued during the inaugural period. The mint’s presidential medals were issued for as long as the mint leadership decided to sell them. Therefore, the inaugural medals are scarcer and more valuable.

I know this is confusing to the casual collector. The situation is harder to figure out because the reference books on inaugural medals are not generally available.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:

@JBK said:

@coinkat said:

For those in search of a medal... Jo Davidson captures so much that places this Inaugural Medal in a class by itself.

Fantastic artistry. But don't think for a moment that FDR was universally admired at the time. :*

“Universally” is a strong word. No president has ever been admired “universally.” FDR was certainly one of the most popular presidents.

I might well be wrong, but I believe that some of FDR's popularity came later.

For example, in the 1940 election his opponent got just under 45% of the vote, and in 1944 it was just under 46%. Those were solid victories for FDR but there was a substantial part of the electorate which voted for someone else.

In his first two elections (in the middle of the Great Depression) his opponents didn't break 40%, so he was drifting downward in popularity in his 3rd and 4th terms.

There is some great exonumia and ephemera from that era on both sides of the issue. FDR's run for a third term, for example, was more than a little controversial.

History sometimes has a way of enhancing a president's popularity.

• Options

At $160 the era of high relief art medals from the U.S. Mint is going to come at an end. It probably costs a lot of money to make these medals. They must be struck two or three times with an annealing step in between. The question is does the U.S. Mint want to end the art mint medal tradition for the United States? It has existed since the earliest days of the mint. At the $160 price, that might be the case. If the mint has to charge more, they need to supply more with better surfaces, like those from the 1800s.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    At $160 the era of high relief art medals from the U.S. Mint is going to come at an end. It probably costs a lot of money to make these medals. They must be struck two or three times with an annealing step in between. The question is does the U.S. Mint want to end the art mint medal tradition for the United States? It has existed since the earliest days of the mint. At the $160 price, that might be the case. If the mint has to charge more, they need to supply more with better surfaces, like those from the 1800s.

The Mint should focus on medallic art that people want to buy so it can be a money making operation.

There are lots of ultra high-relief silver art rounds now that are popular which they can look at.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have purchased a few of the small mint medals in the past and always thought about getting a 3" one.
    With the coming price increase I figured it was now or never and the it is a nice likeness of #45 so I bought a few.

GrandAm :)
  • Options

@JBK said:

@BillJones said:

@JBK said:

@coinkat said:

For example, in the 1940 election his opponent got just under 45% of the vote, and in 1944 it was just under 46%. Those were solid victories for FDR but there was a substantial part of the electorate which voted for someone else.

In his first two elections (in the middle of the Great Depression) his opponents didn't break 40%, so he was drifting downward in popularity in his 3rd and 4th terms.

There is some great exonumia and ephemera from that era on both sides of the issue. FDR's run for a third term, for example, was more than a little controversial.

“Universally” says everyone agreed with FDR. Clearly that was not the case. He was tremendously popular, but there were those who disliked him, which makes “universally” invalid.

This is like the argument between the “universe” and the solar system. The universe means everything, not some part of it.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

So it now looks as if we got the wrong Baldwin on Saturday Night Live...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    RedStormRedStorm Posts: 221 ✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

Just to make the distinction. This medal was the official 1945 inaugural medal, which is different from the mint presidential medals. The inaugural medals are only issued during the inaugural period. The mint’s presidential medals were issued for as long as the mint leadership decided to sell them. Therefore, the inaugural medals are scarcer and more valuable.

I know this is confusing to the casual collector. The situation is harder to figure out because the reference books on inaugural medals are not generally available.

Thanks for the distinction on the presidential medal types. Between the official inaugural medals, the mint-issued presidential medals, and all the private issue medals in between and after, it can be confusing for sure.

• Options

I believe the 1945 Inaugural medal was struck at the Mint in a limited production run of about 3500. Other Inaugural medals have been struck by different entities such as Medallic Art Co and even the Franklin Mint. The first 50 of the 1933 Inaugural medals were struck by Medallic Art and the rest of the production went to the Mint.

The distinction made by Bill Jones is correct in that the 1945 Inaugural I posted was not part of the ongoing US Mint medal offerings...some of which are still available today.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@JBK said:

@BillJones said:

@JBK said:

@coinkat said:

“Universally” says everyone agreed with FDR. Clearly that was not the case. He was tremendously popular, but there were those who disliked him, which makes “universally” invalid.

This is like the argument between the “universe” and the solar system. The universe means everything, not some part of it.

Now we have a new description: "tremendously popular". If 55% of the vote represents "tremendously popular" that's fine, but I guess it's also possible to be "tremendously unpopular" at the same time. The subject of the medal in the OP probably earns both designations, for example.

I still maintain that the lense of history has redefined FDR's popularity. He is more popular today than he was then.

The ephemera and exonumia I have are reminders of the debates that were actually occurring at the time. That is one of the reasons I like collecting - these artifacts are a time capsule that preserve bits of history that sometimes get lost as time advances.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@coinkat said:

Not universally admired, but respected.

That is a beautiful medal.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fathom said:

@JBK said:

@coinkat said:

Not universally admired, but respected.

That is a beautiful medal.

My uncle always referred to FDR as "that crippled idiot", so he was not "universally" either liked or respected.

In fact, I would posit that most Presidents rank near the top of both "most admired" AND "most hated" - including and maybe especially #44 and #45.

• Options
    edited January 10, 2021 6:41AM

I knew a very conservative economics professor in undergraduate school who bragged, “I had four chances to vote for Roosevelt, and I missed every one of them!”

• Options
    edited January 10, 2021 9:58AM

We currently have a two party system... there will always be a percentage of the population that will whine and complain no matter what. So there is a point where there can and should be an agreement to disagree and stay topical to what constitutes great craftsmanship, art and design in a medal. One can look at the 1929 Hoover Inaugural medal and easily be impressed. Again and to the point Bill Jones made, the inaugural medal I am referring to is not the typical US Mint medal

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    bsshog40, am I to believe you are in agreement with the OP that this is the Greatest Mint Medal ever?? if not, I have a barf-bag handy for you to use, if yes, I will use it myself. B)

while the temptation for YOU to think there is somehow a current Political direction in some of the posts may/may not be correct. from a strict Numismatic perspective, this medal is seriously lacking.

rant on, dude. B)

I don’t think one needs to like the medal, in order to with agree with what bsshog40 posted (copied below).

“It's going to get to a point where pcgs will ban any threads that consist of political medals, tokens or anything else of the sort on these forums because we have a few people here that cannot respond in a numismatic fashion. Can some of you please GROW UP????”

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited January 10, 2021 8:47AM

Here is the text I wrote for the Hoover medal in my exhibit.

Herbert Hoover

Designer Henry K. Bush-Brown
    Diameter 70 mm
    Mintages 2 in gold, 1,012 in bronze
    Notes: Herbert Hoover banned many of the usual inaugural events such as the ball and a military parade, but he did allow a modest issue of inaugural medals to go forward. For that reason, this medal is collectable although it is not as inexpensive as the mintage of over 1,000 pieces might indicate. Designer Bush-Brown depicted aspects of Hoover’s professional life on the lower portion of the reverse. Herbert Hoover was a great mining engineer, and some of the tools of his trade are shown in that area.

Herbert Hoover was a great mining engineer. I have read that the texts that he wrote were still in use until the mid 1960s.

• Options
    dcstuffdcstuff Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

life is like a box of candy love this medal

• Options
    MrSmithMrSmith Posts: 49 ✭✭
    edited January 13, 2021 8:01AM

Apparently the $160 price tag wasn't a problem after all. Both medals, large & small are on "back order". Too bad there's no posting of mintages for the bronze medals. Or at least none that I've found. Would be interesting to see if the "back order" turns into a "unavailable". Did they mint low and get wiped out, or mint high and still get wiped out?

• Options

Interesting....

I did note a couple weeks ago that some other medals were also on BO. I guess there was a last minute rush to beat the price increase.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrSmith said:
    Apparently the $160 price tag wasn't a problem after all. Both medals, large & small are on "back order". Too bad there's no posting of mintages for the bronze medals. Or at least none that I've found. Would be interesting to see if the "back order" turns into a "unavailable". Did they mint low and get wiped out, or mint high and still get wiped out?

Current events have likely greatly increased demand for this particular medal.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@FreeThinker said:
    Well, if it counts, this is a medal that I consider to be one of my greatest design accomplishments for the United States Mint (my RaM initials are at left). This particular medal has been on display here next to my drawing table for nearly four years, along with other items I cherish.

One of the best aspects of working with the Mint for the past 17 years, in my humble opinion, has been the near total absence of politics involved in our work. We artists focus strictly on the "task at hand" so to speak, regardless of subject matter by setting aside our personal feelings and/or our opinions.

By the way, I also submitted designs for the OP's medal of our current president and approached that assignment exactly with the same objective as this one, to produce the best possible design, since these medals are made for ALL Americans.

Thx for the first hand insight!

Now, I have to ask: did they give you an example of your medal or did they make you buy it. :)

• Options

@MrSmith said:

Maybe some people ordered it during the last week of December to avoid the price increase. That’s what I did, and I received it last Monday.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Much prefer the sculpted look of old medals over the computer designed stuff made recently.
    It's really missing the touch of an expert artist's hand.
    No comment on the subject matter.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite is an early medal. This one isn't original, but a restrike.

Striking nonetheless . . . . . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

This discussion has been closed.