Home Sports Talk

NFL Playoff Thread.

2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tomorrow starts what all football fans look forward to. The march to the Super Bowl. I’m just going to discuss one subject and then add as the thread goes along.
Baltimore Ravens vs Tennessee Titans.
Actually it’s not about the teams. It’s not about 43 other starters. You know who I’m going to discuss.
Of course this is all about Lamar Jackson. Drafted by an established team in 2018. Made the playoffs and them lost to the Chargers.
2019 14-2 MVP First round by ousted by the Titans.
Playoff record 0-2.
2020. 6-5 and then the scheduling gods shined on them bringing 4 teams with a 15-49 record and the Browns their last 5 games for them to squeeze into the playoffs with an 11-5 record. The wins? 8 wins against teams with losing records. 3 wins, the Browns twice and the Colts. Not exactly world beaters who also squeaked into the playoffs.
2021. Losses ? Twice to the Steelers, Chiefs and Titans. Common thread? Division winners. Real teams.
Oh Mahomes is Jackson’s cryptonite! Wait Tennessee beat them twice in a row. Tennessee is their cryptonite? What if Tennessee beats the 3 times in a row? The Chiefs aren’t their problem. The Titans aren’t their problem. Good football teams are. Well Joe they ran for 400 yards against Cincinnati!! Yeah Cincinnati had their bags packed, in the trunk with the motor running. Well they beat the Browns!! Yeah it’s the Browns.
So here’s the $40 M question. If Lamar goes 0-3 or even 1-3 how you feeling about giving him a new contract to get to the playoffs and get ousted every year? Do you not see Justin Hubert, Joe Burrows and Josh Allen and say hmmmmm?
No doubt in my mind Lamar Jackson is the best athlete on the field no matter who the Ravens play. He’s exciting, he’s fun. He puts butts in the seats. They will beat bad teams. They’ll even beat a few good teams. They’ll win 9-10-11 games every year and be in contention. But that’s not why we play every Sunday.
I’ll leave you with Lamar Jackson very own words
“Not bad for a running back”

W.C.Fields
"I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check out what JuJu Smith Schuster said about the Browns, he says "I think they're still the same Browns teams I play every year. I think they're nameless gray faces. They have a couple good players on their team, but at the end of the day, I don't know. The Browns is the Browns."

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2021 10:40AM

Smith-Shuster is definitely a fine WR, but he continues a line of Steeler players who "feel their oats" and then do something extremely stupid. my Pittsburgh friends can recite the list because it's a long one, but the biggest players that come to mind are Bell and Brown. there is something about the Steeler bravado that gets into the head's of these guys and causes Pittsburgh management to replace them, a strength of that Team that resembles what Colleges do every year. right now I would take the Pittsburgh Steelers WR's over any Team in the NFL, but can they individually keep their heads right and stay together??

as for the OP question about Lamar Jackson, I think it boils down to a suggestion that he can only carry the Ravens so far but can't win the big games in the Playoffs. isn't that sort of the knock on running QB's?? I see the first game as really easy to sum up, it is two-fold: stop Lamar Jackson and you beat the Ravens, stop Derrick Henry and you beat the Colts.

my two game body of evidence with one Team suggests this. the Browns stopped Henry and beat the Titans rather easily. they played maybe their best game of the season against the Ravens a week later and lost because they couldn't contain Jackson. LJ is a great runner but probably an average QB. the NFL is all about schemes with the Defense trying to find one that stops the Offense. when some Team locks into a way to negate Jackson, and it will happen, all the others will copy it and leave the Ravens impotent.

Colts 30
    Ravens 17

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets amend your post and replace Colts with Titans. I know what you meant and you’re exactly right.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Since we are talking about Browns-Steelers
    Next up Browns-Steelers.

Until the Browns beat the Steelers they are the little brother who thinks they are a bad a$$. They been beat down all their lives and finally they’ve had enough so they challenge big brother to go outside. Well big brother is 4” taller and 50 lbs heavier still.
    But big brother was rested early this year. Ben had a year off and he looked fresh. But January isn’t September and 38 is starting to look 38. That’s my take on why they gave Ben the week off even though they had a chance for 2 weeks of home games. Big question is not this game for the Steelers but next week on the road, maybe in Buffalo.
    As for the Browns? Not this year little brother, not this year. Grow a few inches and hit the weight room and come back next year.

W.C.Fields
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

my gut says Buff-Indy is going to be a tussle

Johnathan Taylor has looked like Marshall Faulk the past 6 weeks to the tune of 741 rushing yards and 7 touchdowns...........and Buffalo is middle of the pack against the run

conversely, the Colts have a very stout rush defense, thus it's going to come down to the arm of Mr. Allen to make plays...........and multiple weapons of his are banged up

i would not at all be surprised to see a one-score game.................either way

@galaxy27 said:
    my gut says Buff-Indy is going to be a tussle

Johnathan Taylor has looked like Marshall Faulk the past 6 weeks to the tune of 741 rushing yards and 7 touchdowns...........and Buffalo is middle of the pack against the run

conversely, the Colts have a very stout rush defense, thus it's going to come down to the arm of Mr. Allen to make plays...........and multiple weapons of his are banged up

i would not at all be surprised to see a one-score game.................either way

Not yet grasshopper, not yet. I’m saving the best for last.

W.C.Fields

Up next Rams-Seahawks
    Russell Wilson started the season in his usual “Why has he never received a single vote for MVP?” Then he went to western New York and we said “Ahhh”
    Wilson has been sacked 47 times, 3rd most this year. The line is porous and the defense the first half even more. Seattle made some trades to shore up the defense and it has certainly helped. DK Metcalf looked like the 2nd coming but has been absolutely absent the last month. Why you ask? Well I’ll tell you. Film and adjustments.
    Against the Rams Metcalf vs Ramsey. 4 catches in 2 games. Not exactly world shocking #’s. We all know about Aaron Donald and that Rams defense.
    Goff may play but I believe the Rams have a better offense with John Wolford. Why you ask? He fits McVays offense much better than Goff. He’s more athlete, they can call QB runs, roll outs and he can get some yards with his legs. After his first pass was intercepted last week he settled in and played a pretty decent game.
    The keys to the game are can the Seahawks muster a running game and can the Rams pressure Wilson enough to make him uncomfortable.
    I think the Rams offense will be fine. They will score 24-28 points. There are always upsets wildcard weekend. Unfortunately for Seahawks fans this may be one of them.

W.C.Fields

Next up two games because I don’t think these need to be spent much time on
    Bucs vs no name team and Saints vs Bears.
    Oh how the football gods shine on Tom Brady. The Bucs play a team with a losing record. No this isn’t week 16. This is the playoffs. Really a 7 win team when a 10 win team watches on the couch with you? Tom said oh yes the chosen one is shined on again. Only way the no names win this game is if they change the game time and don’t tell the Bucs. The Bucs have 93 star receivers and 9 more on the bench. Oh and a HOF QB and tight ends. Yes miracles happen. Yes I’ll apologize to no name fans. Yes I’ll eat crow. Ain’t happening.
    Bears at Saints. The Bears have been playing better. Yes Brees is banged up. But Kamara and Thomas are playing. The Bears benched their starting QB. So who’s starting for the Bears? That same benched QB. I’m going to take into consideration that the Saints seemingly never play up to their potential in the playoffs but come on. The Bears?
    I’m picking the Bucs and Saints by at least a TD or a garbage TD late for them not to cover.

W.C.Fields

Finally my game of the week. Bills vs Colts.
    Not much to say here that I haven’t already said all year. Bills are the best team in the league. They are red hot and having fun. They played 4 games in December and scored 34, 26, 38 and 56 points. They’ve won by at least 10 points the last 6 games and if not for a miracle 10 wins in a row.
    Rivers looks old. Not very good in playoffs and their pass defense is 20th in the league. Taylor is a absolutely beast at RB but can they score enough to even be in the game? Their starting CB is out. Of course I’m a homer but this game is OVER by halftime. Bills hang 49 on the Colts and Rivers plays his last game as a Colt.

That’s wildcard weekend my friends. Use my info wisely and I hope you hit the lotto.

W.C.Fields
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

what is the origin of Steelers bravado? They suck this year and generally have sucked for 40 years .

They have had good players but for 20 years the coaching has been awful. Tomlin is a moron and Cower was a dope too

@bronco2078 said:
    what is the origin of Steelers bravado? They suck this year and generally have sucked for 40 years .

They have had good players but for 20 years the coaching has been awful. Tomlin is a moron and Cower was a dope too

Bill Cowher has always reminded me of Sgt. Slaughter

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

I expect the Seahawks to squeak by the Rams. Should be a real slog-fest. The Hawks defense is much improved, but their offense is sputtering. That said, I think they'll finally give Chris Carson 20-25 carries, and try and grind it out. I hope Goff plays as he's easily rattled by the pass rush, something the Hawks do well. Don't want to see Wolford.

I'll guess 20-17...something like that.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    Not much to say here that I haven’t already said all year. Bills are the best team in the league. They are red hot and having fun. They played 4 games in December and scored 34, 26, 38 and 56 points. They’ve won by at least 10 points the last 6 games and if not for a miracle 10 wins in a row.
    Rivers looks old. Not very good in playoffs and their pass defense is 20th in the league. Taylor is a absolutely beast at RB but can they score enough to even be in the game? Their starting CB is out. Of course I’m a homer but this game is OVER by halftime. Bills hang 49 on the Colts and Rivers plays his last game as a Colt.

That’s wildcard weekend my friends. Use my info wisely and I hope you hit the lotto.

2deuces- I have to take exception to you saying the Bills are the best team in the league.
    The Chiefs beat the Bills in the regular season. Just because it happened earlier in the season
    before the Bills were red hot doesn't mean it no longer counts.
    Until the Bills beat the best they can't be called the best. They haven't won anything yet except a division title.
    Whoop de do the Chiefs have won like 6-7 of those in a row.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@Darin said:

@2dueces said:

2deuces- I have to take exception to you saying the Bills are the best team in the league.
    The Chiefs beat the Bills in the regular season. Just because it happened earlier in the season
    Until the Bills beat the best they can't be called the best. They haven't won anything yet except a division title.

Well what would my analysis be if there wasn’t a little controversy? I’m shocked no one has screamed bloody murder, got out one pitch forks and burned down my castle with my remarks about the anointed one. Maybe everyone is seeing what I saw from day 1?
    @Darin The week 6 game was just that. Week 6. This is a much different squad. We’ll see you in the AFC championship game, unless something happens to the Chiefs. Then the road to the Super Bowl goes through Buffalo.

W.C.Fields
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    Up next Rams-Seahawks
    Russell Wilson started the season in his usual “Why has he never received a single vote for MVP?” Then he went to western New York and we said “Ahhh”
    Wilson has been sacked 47 times, 3rd most this year. The line is porous and the defense the first half even more. Seattle made some trades to shore up the defense and it has certainly helped. DK Metcalf looked like the 2nd coming but has been absolutely absent the last month. Why you ask? Well I’ll tell you. Film and adjustments.
    Against the Rams Metcalf vs Ramsey. 4 catches in 2 games. Not exactly world shocking #’s. We all know about Aaron Donald and that Rams defense.
    Goff may play but I believe the Rams have a better offense with John Wolford. Why you ask? He fits McVays offense much better than Goff. He’s more athlete, they can call QB runs, roll outs and he can get some yards with his legs. After his first pass was intercepted last week he settled in and played a pretty decent game.
    The keys to the game are can the Seahawks muster a running game and can the Rams pressure Wilson enough to make him uncomfortable.
    I think the Rams offense will be fine. They will score 24-28 points. There are always upsets wildcard weekend. Unfortunately for Seahawks fans this may be one of them.

If Wolford starts Rams 16-13.

If Goff starts Seahawks 13-6.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@Darin said:

@2dueces said:

Well what would my analysis be if there wasn’t a little controversy? I’m shocked no one has screamed bloody murder, got out one pitch forks and burned down my castle with my remarks about the anointed one. Maybe everyone is seeing what I saw from day 1?

No one cares is my guess.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Well the day we waited for is here.
    Here’s my picks for the day
    Bills -6
    2 team teaser
    Rams +9.5
    Bucs -2

W.C.Fields

A thought I had a few days ago. Do you realize .4375% of teams made the playoffs. That tells me if half the league made it you really are a bad football team if you didn’t.
    Only team that really got dealt a bad hand was Miami at 10-6 when the Bears 8-8 and the no names 7-9 are playing this weekend. But everyone knows the rules.
    43%?

W.C.Fields

I'll be rooting for the Bills today!

edited January 9, 2021 10:51AM

They just showed Pinto Ron on TV!

edited January 9, 2021 11:32AM

Man, Josh Allen has a cannon of an arm. He slung that ball to Diggs all the way down field, and he did it effortlessly.

This game is close so far.

edited January 9, 2021 12:33PM

Josh Allen using his legs. Touchdown Bills.

edited January 9, 2021 12:35PM

@doubledragon said:

Me three. Your DD's and me. That was a great drive to end the half.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:

@doubledragon said:

Me three

m

Close game so far, we'll see if the Bills can pull away in the second half.

the sequence at the two minute warning has me puzzled.

Indy has the ball, third and goal with the long time-out. if they have decided they'll go for it on fourth down and have time for discussion, why wouldn't they call two plays and run them in hurry-up fashion to take advantage of the Bills?? that and the defensive lapses after change of possession may cost Indy the game.

if the Bills come out and score after the half it's all over and I can work around the house till the next game.

edited January 9, 2021 12:56PM

@keets said:
    the sequence at the two minute warning has me puzzled.

Indy has the ball, third and goal with the long time-out. if they have decided they'll go for it on fourth down and have time for discussion, why wouldn't they call two plays and run them in hurry-up fashion to take advantage of the Bills?? that and the defensive lapses after change of possession may cost Indy the game.

if the Bills come out and score after the half it's all over and I can work around the house till the next game.

The Bills called timeout on third down.

I just started some yard work myself. I have the phone in one hand watching the game and a rake in the other. We had Santa Ana winds last night.

The Bills O line has been protecting Allen well and when It breaks down Allen has been great.

m

edited January 9, 2021 1:13PM

Colts miss the field goal. The Bills have to be licking their chops now.

@doubledragon said:

Colts game plan is good but not executing

m

@Justacommeman said:

@doubledragon said:

m

There's been too many mistakes by the Colts today. Dropped passes, the offsides on 4th down that led to the Bills touchdown. Sloppy.

Touchdown. Bills lead 24-10.

@doubledragon said:

@Justacommeman said:

@doubledragon said:

m

There's been too many mistakes by the Colts today. Dropped passes, the offsides on 4th down that led to the Bills touchdown. Sloppy.

Combine that with the fact that the Bills have the better QB and that's all you need to know

m

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watching Rivers is like watching a time bomb. When will the big mistake come? Tick, tock, ....

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

@Justacommeman said:

@doubledragon said:

@Justacommeman said:

@doubledragon said:

m

Combine that with the fact that the Bills have the better QB and that's all you need to know

m

Yes, the much better quarterback. The Colts have stunk in the second half this season, and they're following the script today.

edited January 9, 2021 1:36PM

The Colts just scored and then went for two and failed. Unbelievable.

it is sort of an unwritten rule that you don't take points "off" the board, Frank Reich has violated that rule and paid accordingly. strangely, as the Colts were driving downfield the thought came to me that the game was turning on Reich's play calling in the Red Zone. what does he do, beats the Bills defense to make me rethink that thought, only to follow it with the dumb two-point try.

if Buffalo wins, and I think they will, it is the fault of the Head Coach of Indy. the Colts have been competitive and for most of the first half they outplayed the better Bills. the problem is easy to see, though, since the Bills can score quick and the Colts are more methodical, needing too much time. that precious commodity is slipping away and now, thanks to Reich, they need two scores.

edited January 9, 2021 1:47PM

@doubledragon said:

@Justacommeman said:

@doubledragon said:

@Justacommeman said:

@doubledragon said:

m

m

Yes, the much better quarterback. The Colts have stunk in the second half this season, and they're following the script today.

I Ike the fact that Allen has 11 designed runs and are using all of his skill set. He is their best RB. Keep the ball in his hands

m

@Justacommeman said:

@doubledragon said:

@Justacommeman said:

@doubledragon said:

@Justacommeman said:

@doubledragon said:

m

m

I Ike the fact that Allen has 11 designed runs and are using all of his skill set

m

Yes, I love it when the big man takes off! The Bills got a field goal, it's 27-16 Bills lead.

edited January 9, 2021 1:57PM

Now that failed two point conversion is rendered moot. Game on

Colts only have one TO. That will hurt

m

this next drive by the Bills will tell us a lot.

The Colts just won'tgo away, it's 27-24 now.

This game is nerve wracking. An absolute slugfest.

edited January 9, 2021 2:15PM

I think that's a fumble

Great game

edited January 9, 2021 2:28PM

Bills win 27-24. Man, what a game.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

ok that prediction was a little better

boy am i glad that hail mary fell incomplete for the sake of 2dueces' health

btw #75 for Buffalo is the player of the game as far as i'm concerned

Bills win a tight one and get exposed a little bit by Indy. what hurt the Colts in the end is that they don't really have a quick strike threat when Hilton is covered like a blanket.

The Colts lost the game before the half when they didn't bust it up the middle twice in a row (if neccessary)
    for the TD. Should have had 7 points easy.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@galaxy27 said:
    ok that prediction was a little better

boy am i glad that hail mary fell incomplete for the sake of 2dueces' health

btw #75 for Buffalo is the player of the game as far as i'm concerned

I don't know, 2deuces might not have watched it since he had the Bills winning about 63-7.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

well that buffalo game was almost given away ;)