Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL Playoff Thread.

Comments

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    The Chiefs really need to get rid of Sammy Watkins.
    Someone posted on twitter that after the Browns beat the Steelers that the Chiefs
    will have some competition. Watkins posted that he wouldn't go that far as to say that.
    The kicker...... Watkins is of course injured like he always is and won't be playing against the Browns.

In Buffalo he was known as Sammy “feet of glass” Watkins. Or just glass. He missed half a season and finally Buffalo traded him off. The best ability is availability

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man the Rams haven't seen the ball since the OJ chase

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

watching the GB game. announcers are saying 9000 in the stands. sure looks like a whole bunch more than that to me. I wonder what the covid capacity is for Lambeau??

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems like there are more than 9,000 there. They're rowdy and making noise tonight!

• Options

It's now 32-18 Packers. It's over.

• Options

I'm getting ready for Bills vs Ravens. If Al Michaels isn't calling this game, they'll be heck to pay!

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lamar vs Josh

Mahomes vs Mayfield

Lamar/Josh vs Mahomes/Mayfield

Brady vs Brees

Brady/Brees vs Rodgers

life is good

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2021 6:36PM

@Justacommeman said:
    Good luck to Hammer, Hydrant, 2dueces and anyone else who has real fan skin in the game today

I will be sitting back and enjoying and then taking outside to 86 degree weather

Rams only chance today was with Wolford, who couldn't play. Goff is like the nags I bet, no closing kick. Send him to the glue factory.

I won the OC Covid lottery. I'm going to Disneyland tomorrow for my Covid injection.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buff/Balt. Another dud of a game after the can't miss/big buildup. 3 missed FG's so far. I changed the channel 1/2 ago. Maybe NO/TB on Sunday will live up to the hype.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

well, this is different.

it turns out that the Rams vs. the Packers was the exciting game(so far) that we get to watch today. I thought the Rams played pretty get but they just didn't have enough to hang with Green Bay. every time they'd stiffen on defense and move within a score the Pack would jump ahead. it was good game.

as for the Ravens vs. the Bills, how weird is this --- Lamar Jackson can't seem to run and Josh Allen can't seem to pass. whoever picker the "under" should be feeling good now as it seems the combined score will be under 20 points.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    well, this is different.

it turns out that the Rams vs. the Packers was the exciting game(so far) that we get to watch today. I thought the Rams played pretty get but they just didn't have enough to hang with Green Bay. every time they'd stiffen on defense and move within a score the Pack would jump ahead. it was good game.

as for the Ravens vs. the Bills, how weird is this --- Lamar Jackson can't seem to run and Josh Allen can't seem to pass. whoever picker the "under" should be feeling good now as it seems the combined score will be under 20 points.

Yes. Now that the under is covered maybe they will take the handcuffs off the offense.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@galaxy27 said:
    Lamar vs Josh

Mahomes vs Mayfield

Brady vs Brees

Brady/Brees vs Rodgers

life is good

Lamar vs Josh

Mahomes vs Mayfield

Brady vs Brees

Brady/Brees vs Rodgers

life is, for the most part, good

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

The two worst players on the field tonight (so far, anyway) are the two QBs. Jackson is making some incredibly poor decisions, and Allen keeps throwing to imaginary receivers 10 yards beyond his actual receivers. And both teams used all of their time-outs for no apparent reason. The net result is the most boring half of football I think I've ever seen. I'm not a fan of either of these teams but my wife, who is a Ravens fan, is sound asleep on the couch next to me.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

that is an accurate synopsis.

• Options

Update: the ineptitude of Jackson and the Ravens is no longer boring, it is hilarious. Allen's persistence in throwing to imaginary receivers far down field is just puzzling. Carson Wentz is watching this game and saying "I could do better than either of these guys". And he's right.

• Options

Clipboard in 2 years. You paying him $40 M for 1 playoff win?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2021 9:10PM

Congrats 2dueces. A win is a win and Allen played well enough. No turnovers in tough conditions.

As a fan with no skin in the game I can only hope for better games tomorrow

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Congrats 2dueces. A win is a win and Allen played well enough. No turnovers in tough conditions.

As a fan with no skin in the game I can only hope for better games tomorrow

m

Tough conditions. Bills defense came to play

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Allen probably played as well as any of the top QB's in the league would have played under those
    wind conditions. Should have had 2 TD passes but one was dropped.
    The only thing you need to know about how bad the wind was is Mr. automatic Justin Tucker missed two field goals.

Allen has come a long way. Played like a veteran, kept his team in the game and let the other QB make the huge mistake.

• Options

Congrats to 2dueces for the Bills win. The wind was a major factor last night. Of course I wouldn't know, because I fell asleep at 8:30 and missed the whole damn game. These strange hours are killing me man. I can't get back on schedule!

• Options

Last night came down to which team made the fewest mistakes. Bills had 2 penalties, no turnovers and very few negative plays. A running team like the Ravens got behind the chains often, 8 penalties a costly bad snap and a game changing interception. Bills were very disciplined on defense. The game plan was stop Lamar, play zone and have all eyes on him.
    They were very well coached last night and it’s about time McDermitt got his just do. Beane and McDermitt have assembled a complete team. Maybe not the best talent but they play as a team.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

one thing I have learned about tough weather conditions and wind watching the Browns play is that it sort of turns into a home-field advantage. Josh Allen should know, or needs to learn, what the wind does in his home stadium and pass accordingly. he seemed OK with throwing darts 10-20 yards downfield, but anything farther that he needed to elevate sailed on him. it's one reason why Teams up North tend to have solid running games.

looking at the running game, Green Bay really surprised me with the ease with which they were able to run on the Rams. conversely, the Bills showed no run whatsoever. that should be a concern to any fan of the Team. passing 37 times and rushing for 32 yards usually ends up in a loss.

it came to me last night night that Lamar Jackson is a contradiction, too much of the Ravens Offense while also being not enough of it. he is depended on for so much that when he's shut down, what the Bills did so well, the Ravens are finished. after watching him play for less than a quarter, I actually thought that they'd have done better with Huntley the entire game. Lamar Jackson as a passer will never get the Ravens where they want to be. it's like my Father used to say about Fran Tarkenton, "You'll never win with a scrambler" all over again. Jackson keeps 'em in the race but won't get them over the finish line.

is it just me or is the NFL getting to the point where the running game is frowned upon?? bring on the Brownies!!! win or lose I'll enjoy watching Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt in action today with a heavy dose of Baker Mayfield in a dangerous mood. after watching the two games yesterday I am reinvigorated and hopeful. B)

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think what these playoff games are showing is you have to have an elite passer.
    The arm talent wins the games, not running or defense.
    I know Aaron Donald wasn't 100% but Rodgers didn't have any problem with finding open receivers.
    The future of the NFL belongs to Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, maybe Mayfield?, and Brady until he's 50 or so. :)
    But Lamar Jackson, nope. Run all you want Lamar but sooner or later you have to pass and you can't do it.
    The Rams can win a lot of games with their defense, just not playoff games.
    The Ravens can win a lot of games with Lamar's running game, just not playoff games.

• Options

The Ravens can win a lot of games with Lamar's running game, just not playoff games.

Thank you @Darin for echoing what I’ve said since draft day 2018. But they sure hyped him up all week. Lamar, Lamar,Lamar and oh yeah some kid named Allen.
    The Ravens will beat bad teams. They’ll win a few against good teams. They’ll win 10 games a year. Remember how hyped they were when they won 6 in a row to get into the playoffs? Cowboys, Jacksonville, Cincinnati and the Giants.
    Buffalo wasn’t going to pound the ball into the middle of the line 3 times and punt like Tennessee.
    There is no doubt in my mind Lamar Jackson is the best athlete on the field no matter who they play. But that doesn’t make him a great QB. I’m using his own words. “Not bad for a running back.”
    So here’s the $40M question. Pay him $400,000 knowing you’ll never win a Super Bowl with him? Continue this offense with the next college QB paying him rookie minimum and trade Jackson before he holds the clipboard in 2 years.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@Darin said:
    I think what these playoff games are showing is you have to have an elite passer.

There was an episode of The Big Bang Theory where Amy confounded the gang by pointing out that Indiana Jones, the character, was irrelevant to the plot of Raiders of the Lost Ark. The Nazis find the ark, they open it, they get wiped out by the ark, and nobody ever sees the ark again; exactly the same whether Indy is there or not.

The same thing happened last night in Buffalo, with Josh Allen playing the role of Indiana Jones. Buffalo's defense not only held Baltimore to 3 points, they scored 7 points. Buffalo's defense won that game; the performance, indeed even the presence, of Josh Allen or anyone else on Buffalo's offense (including the imaginary receivers Allen through to all game long) played no role at all.

It's rare for a QB to be essentially a bystander to a playoff win, but it does happen and it happened last night. QBs already get way too much credit for wins and losses, but giving Allen credit for last night's win is taking it waaaaaaaaaay too far.

• Options
    edited January 17, 2021 1:46PM

@2dueces said:

Thank you @Darin for echoing what I’ve said since draft day 2018. But they sure hyped him up all week. Lamar, Lamar,Lamar and oh yeah some kid named Allen.
    The Ravens will beat bad teams. They’ll win a few against good teams. They’ll win 10 games a year. Remember how hyped they were when they won 6 in a row to get into the playoffs? Cowboys, Jacksonville, Cincinnati and the Giants.
    Buffalo wasn’t going to pound the ball into the middle of the line 3 times and punt like Tennessee.
    There is no doubt in my mind Lamar Jackson is the best athlete on the field no matter who they play. But that doesn’t make him a great QB. I’m using his own words. “Not bad for a running back.”

Surely you know he was being facetious with that comment. Then again maybe not.

Out of curiosity how many Super Bowls did Jim Kelley win? Surely Lamar will equal or exceed him. They are not easy to come by are they? As great as Bree's is he has exactly one. As great as Rodgers is he has exactly one.

Clipboard. Too funny.

m

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see Lamar Jackson as another Cam Newton. He'll good for a while with the running but he not a first class passer. So far he's yet to prove that he is a good play-off quarterback.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2021 2:02PM

@BillJones said:
    I see Lamar Jackson as another Cam Newton. He'll good for a while with the running but he not a first class passer. So far he's yet to prove that he is a good play-off quarterback.

True. Not yet. He's 24. I'll play the long time with him. At least he has the taste of playoff experience and it should make him hungry. He sure could use some more weapons. He sure could use some work on his mechanics like Allen did. I'm all about talent and since you can't teach speed so there is that.

As for last nights game I wouldn't have thrown the ball more then 10 times if I was the Ravens in those conditions. I go back to the Ravens first drive where they ran the ball effortlessly. But I give the Bills D all the credit. They bent but didn't break. Tucker hit uprights and a pick six is all one needs to know. That and the Ravens center who couldn't get the ball back to the QB. The one at the end of the 3rd put Lamar out of the game and almost got him killed.

Good luck with your Bucs tonight. I'll be pulling for you

m

• Options

quick, name Lamar's receivers. seriously, name them. and try not to laugh when you do. marquise brown -- all 165 pounds of him soaking wet -- is his #1. then who? can you name them? can you honestly say the name Dez Bryant with a straight face? where is his Davante Adams? his Stefon Diggs? his Tyreek Hill? his Mike Evans or Chris Godwin? his Michael Thomas?
    if Lamar didn't have an up-and-coming TE at his disposal, he'd be showing up to a gun fight with a box cutter every week.

but by all means, let's not take that into consideration when discussing his game when the ball leaves his hand

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    quick, name Lamar's receivers. seriously, name them. and try not to laugh when you do. marquise brown -- all 165 pounds of him soaking wet -- is his #1. then who? can you name them? can you honestly say the name Dez Bryant with a straight face? where is his Davante Adams? his Stefon Diggs? his Tyreek Hill? his Mike Evans or Chris Godwin? his Michael Thomas?
    if Lamar didn't have an up-and-coming TE at his disposal, he'd be showing up to a gun fight with a box cutter every week.

but by all means, let's not take that into consideration when discussing his game when the ball leaves his hand

No one is ever open consistently on the Ravens. How much did Diggs coming to Buffalo help his QB? I'd say an awful lot.

m

• Options

Don’t care who his receivers are. You built this offense around him and his talent. He can’t read defenses. He can find #2 or #3 read. He looks down his #1 and if it isn’t there he tucks and runs. Can’t change 18 years of football. Sorry. Jerry Rice, Chris Carter and Steve Largent will still net him 200 yards passing in big games. Defend him all you want but you can’t un see the truth.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Wow that is a great play by Sorenson. Terrible break for the Browns. Dayum KC is good

m

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

@Darin said:

There was an episode of The Big Bang Theory where Amy confounded the gang by pointing out that Indiana Jones, the character, was irrelevant to the plot of Raiders of the Lost Ark. The Nazis find the ark, they open it, they get wiped out by the ark, and nobody ever sees the ark again; exactly the same whether Indy is there or not.

The same thing happened last night in Buffalo, with Josh Allen playing the role of Indiana Jones. Buffalo's defense not only held Baltimore to 3 points, they scored 7 points. Buffalo's defense won that game; the performance, indeed even the presence, of Josh Allen or anyone else on Buffalo's offense (including the imaginary receivers Allen through to all game long) played no role at all.

It's rare for a QB to be essentially a bystander to a playoff win, but it does happen and it happened last night. QBs already get way too much credit for wins and losses, but giving Allen credit for last night's win is taking it waaaaaaaaaay too far.

Really? 3-3 and he marches them down on 66 yard TD drive to open the second half. He made the plays he had to. No turn overs and Diggs 8 grabs for over 100. Yeah I’m sure Blake Bortles would have done a bang up job in those conditions. Seriously?

W.C.Fields
  • Options

This Cleveland-Kansas City game is going be a snoozer. The Browns just threw away a chance to make it close. Kansas City is getting every break, as if they need it.

And no, I don't care for Kansas City.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck tonight to the New Orleans Saints and the Tampa Bay Patriots.

• Options
    edited January 17, 2021 2:35PM

@2dueces said:
    Don’t care who his receivers are. You built this offense around him and his talent. He can’t read defenses. He can find #2 or #3 read. He looks down his #1 and if it isn’t there he tucks and runs. Can’t change 18 years of football. Sorry. Jerry Rice, Chris Carter and Steve Largent will still net him 200 yards passing in big games. Defend him all you want but you can’t un see the truth.

Without Diggs Allen may be stuck on zero playoff wins if you can't see the truth >:)

Allen's rise this year coincided with #14 showing up. Just saying. Buffalo was brilliant for trading for him. They knew Allen needed a weapon. I hope Baltimore learned that from last night

Lamar had 49 TD passes in the Red Zone without an interception until last night. That's a fact. $hit happens to the best of them.

Man you are making it hard for me to root for the Bills. I'm someone certain that your tone is what it is because Lamar won an unanimous MVP and he gets a lot of attention. Something the Bills don't get. I guess I can somewhat understand that.

m

• Options

@BillJones said:
    This Cleveland-Kansas City game is going be a snoozer. The Browns just threw away a chance to make it close. Kansas City is getting every break, as if they need it.

And no, I don't care for Kansas City.

Well I have the unders so... but I’m rooting for Cleveland so I’m torn but since I’m on the couch eating chicken wings not much I can do about it. Would love to see Cleveland come to Buffalo next week.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces if Stefon Diggs wasn't on Buffalo's roster, Josh Allen wouldn't have even sniffed an MVP vote this season. the Bills would be Baltimore, but without the ability to run.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really don't like that fumble through end zone touchback rule. If you really want to punish the offense give it to the offense at the 25 yard line. The NFL is funny. The refs can't add a helmet penalty on reviews, but they want to have this silly rule. And let me add, I realize that replay and review has in some ways made things better, but it has it's drawbacks. For one, I really think that refs are calling a lot of plays touchdowns because they know it will be reviewed. But that means that it is very hard to overrule the call on the field, and a play which really is not clear goes as a TD. And players are always diving for the pylon now more than ever and, call me crazy, but I don't like that play.

• Options
    edited January 17, 2021 2:53PM

Leading with the helmet calls should come from the replay booth. College does it better.

Agree on fumbling through the end zone. The ball should go back to the original line off scrimmage. It's not like the D recovered it. The way the rule stands now the D gets credit for for recovering it when in fact they didn't. Dumb and odd rule

m

• Options

@2dueces said:
    Really? 3-3 and he marches them down on 66 yard TD drive to open the second half. He made the plays he had to. No turn overs and Diggs 8 grabs for over 100. Yeah I’m sure Blake Bortles would have done a bang up job in those conditions. Seriously?

Yes, really and seriously. I'm not saying that Allen played poorly (and I'm certainly not going to say he played well), I'm saying that it made no difference. The Bills could have thrown no passes at all and they would still have won. It was a lovely drive to open the second half, but the Bills didn't need it. My post was in response to a post essentially giving Allen credit for that win, and explicitly denying it to the defense. That is so wildly incorrect that surely any Bills fan would take offense. I took offense and I'm not even a Bills fan.

The Bills defense outscored the Ravens, who the Bills defense held to 3 points. You can go through the process of allocating credit to the various players on offense if your really want to (and don't forget to include the imaginary receivers Allen kept throwing to), but the offense gets such a small share of the credit for that win why bother?

• Options
    edited January 17, 2021 2:57PM

@dallasactuary said:

@2dueces said:

Yes, really and seriously. I'm not saying that Allen played poorly (and I'm certainly not going to say he played well), I'm saying that it made no difference. The Bills could have thrown no passes at all and they would still have won. It was a lovely drive to open the second half, but the Bills didn't need it. My post was in response to a post essentially giving Allen credit for that win, and explicitly denying it to the defense. That is so wildly incorrect that surely any Bills fan would take offense. I took offense and I'm not even a Bills fan.

The Bills defense outscored the Ravens, who the Bills defense held to 3 points. You can go through the process of allocating credit to the various players on offense if your really want to (and don't forget to include the imaginary receivers Allen kept throwing to), but the offense gets such a small share of the credit for that win why bother?

1969 Namath MVP Manifesto. Eerily similar

m

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    @2dueces if Stefon Diggs wasn't on Buffalo's roster, Josh Allen wouldn't have even sniffed an MVP vote this season. the Bills would be Baltimore, but without the ability to run.

But they do. And last year with John Brown and Cole Beasley healthy the Bills and Josh Allen made the playoffs. He’s a year older, worked on his mechanics in the off season and this year he gets it.
    Diggs had Kirk Cousins and he didn’t have the success he had this year. Led the league in receptions and yards. Why didn’t he do that in his first 5 years? Because he didn’t have Allen. Can’t understand the negativity about Josh Allen. If Jackson even sniffed this success they’d be carving monuments.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@dallasactuary said:

@2dueces said:

Even in a game where you say the QB "made no difference", more than the stats of that game need to be looked at. Allen came into that game as hot as any QB in the league, and is the leader of a team which is on the precipice of doing something they haven't done in decades - and that is not even mentioning the defensive game planning that goes into it when going against a hot, star QB vs a backup who hasn't been playing as of late.

• Options
    edited January 17, 2021 3:11PM

Yes but Buffalo and Allen didn't win with Brown and Beasley now did they? The Ravens would have been so lucky to have that duo. Add Diggs and the dynamic certainly changes.

Diggs and Allen have a great connection.

Cousins had a guy named Adam Thielan as well as Diggs in Minnesota. Apples to oranges

I don't recall one person saying a negative word about Josh Allen in this or any other thread. I love him. He could be my QB anytime

m

• Options

@2dueces said:
    Can’t understand the negativity about Josh Allen. If Jackson even sniffed this success they’d be carving monuments.

Just to be clear, I have nothing against Josh Allen and I agree that he's an excellent QB. But scoring 10 points as the favored team at home is something that has been equaled or exceeded by virtually every QB you've ever heard of. Allen did not have a good game last night; it happens to every QB and Allen will no doubt have lots of better games in his future.

I don't recall the last time I saw a football game where it was so blindingly obvious that the defense of the winning team deserved multiples of the credit for the win than the offense did. I'm not really trying to argue the point, because there is no valid point to be argued. I am just stunned that anyone who had ever seen a football game before could watch last night's game and somehow miss what happened.

• Options

if KC makes it out of this game unscathed, someone tap Andy Reid on the shoulder and tell him to stop putting the franchise in harm's way with those painful-to-watch, slow-developing option runs

he thinks because it resulted in a TD earlier in the game that he can keep going back to the well

keep playing with fire and you'll eventually get burned. sheer stupidity imo

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

chiefs are going to lose this game

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

Maybe not

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

Nope. Cleveland cannot stop them in the pinch.