Home Sports Talk

NFL Playoff Thread.

Comments

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

that was dumb defense

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2021 4:13PM

well, that was a tough loss.

I'm not complaining because things are what they are, but isn't illegal to lead with the crown of the helmet to the head of the other player?? on that Cleveland fumble into the endzone that's what happened and it really turned the game in the Chief's favor, a 10 point swing right before the half. like I said, that was a tough loss. :s

maybe the Rules Committee can do something about that fumble rule, the implications can be huge.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces I assume you were rooting for the Browns. Either way, I will be picking the Bills over the Chiefs in DoubleD's contest. If money was on the line, maybe not. But maybe yes. Mahomes will pass concussion protocol 100%. NFL wouldn't let that happen.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chad Henne made the plays in the end . Give him credit.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@keets said:
    well, that was a tough loss.

I'm not complaining because things are what they are, but isn't illegal to lead with the crown of the helmet to the head of the other player?? on that Cleveland fumble into the endzone that's what happened and it really turned the game in the Chief's favor, a 10 point swing right before the half. like I said, that was a tough loss. :s

maybe the Rules Committee can do something about that fumble rule, the implications can be huge.

Yes, it changed the game. But to the Browns credit, they stayed in it. And anyone who says the Browns weren't still in it when Mahomes was in the game wasn't paying attention. Mayfield has really up'd his game the latter half of this season. The Browns became a team, for me, that was fun to watch. I love their running game and I enjoy Mayfield's game. If I was a Browns fan I'd be feeling good about the future.

Next week it is the...

@darin vs @2dueces Bowl. Quick @doubledragon get that discussion started.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2021 4:37PM

rumor has it that darin had to be resuscitated when he saw that ball snapped on 4th down

final word on josh allen and i'm done. for the record, i think he is a stud and will be for years to come. my beef is this:

season-long plaudits allocation:

Josh Allen........101%
    Stefon Diggs.......-1%

i said without SD the Bills were the Ravens, and dueces you bolstered my point. yes, they made the playoffs last year with brown and beasley. then they got bounced. not good enough to go any further. would never be good enough to go any further. so they made a move to acquire a legit wideout, which i give the organization all the credit in the world for doing. all of a sudden, a synergistic effect is created between their young, talented signal caller and a true #1 receiver, and the next thing you know, the Bills are taking off.

but without Diggs, they Bills are not playing next weekend. and without a receiving corps even remotely worth its salt, Lamar isn't playing next week either. provide LJ similar assistance and then let's reassess.

and the next time rose petals are distributed on the ground for Josh Allen to walk on, at least draw Stefon Diggs' face on one of them

enjoy Brady vs Brees everyone

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@2dueces said:
    The Ravens can win a lot of games with Lamar's running game, just not playoff games.

Thank you @Darin for echoing what I’ve said since draft day 2018. But they sure hyped him up all week. Lamar, Lamar,Lamar and oh yeah some kid named Allen.
    The Ravens will beat bad teams. They’ll win a few against good teams. They’ll win 10 games a year. Remember how hyped they were when they won 6 in a row to get into the playoffs? Cowboys, Jacksonville, Cincinnati and the Giants.
    Buffalo wasn’t going to pound the ball into the middle of the line 3 times and punt like Tennessee.
    There is no doubt in my mind Lamar Jackson is the best athlete on the field no matter who they play. But that doesn’t make him a great QB. I’m using his own words. “Not bad for a running back.”

Surely you know he was being facetious with that comment. Then again maybe not.

Out of curiosity how many Super Bowls did Jim Kelley win? Surely Lamar will equal or exceed him. They are not easy to come by are they? As great as Bree's is he has exactly one. As great as Rodgers is he has exactly one.

Clipboard. Too funny.

m

Not being facetious.
    If Lamar was going to win any Super Bowls he should have done it by now.
    His legs are only going downhill year after year as much as they run him.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    if KC makes it out of this game unscathed, someone tap Andy Reid on the shoulder and tell him to stop putting the franchise in harm's way with those painful-to-watch, slow-developing option runs

he thinks because it resulted in a TD earlier in the game that he can keep going back to the well

keep playing with fire and you'll eventually get burned. sheer stupidity imo

I thought I was going to suffer a major coronary event. Blood pressure medicine taken earlier than usual today. :p
    But Mahomes needs to pitch that ball every time before he can get hit.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    that was dumb defense

Letting that quarterback get away at 3rd and 14 was the nail in the coffin.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

We all knew it, but Brees has confirmed he is retiring.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    We all knew it, but Brees has confirmed he is retiring.

Wow, I didn't know that. This game just got a lot more intense. Can the Saints win this one for him? Or is it over for him tonight? It doesn't get any more dramatic than that.

edited January 17, 2021 5:32PM

@Darin said:

@Justacommeman said:

@2dueces said:
    The Ravens can win a lot of games with Lamar's running game, just not playoff games.

Thank you @Darin for echoing what I’ve said since draft day 2018. But they sure hyped him up all week. Lamar, Lamar,Lamar and oh yeah some kid named Allen.
    The Ravens will beat bad teams. They’ll win a few against good teams. They’ll win 10 games a year. Remember how hyped they were when they won 6 in a row to get into the playoffs? Cowboys, Jacksonville, Cincinnati and the Giants.
    Buffalo wasn’t going to pound the ball into the middle of the line 3 times and punt like Tennessee.
    There is no doubt in my mind Lamar Jackson is the best athlete on the field no matter who they play. But that doesn’t make him a great QB. I’m using his own words. “Not bad for a running back.”

Surely you know he was being facetious with that comment. Then again maybe not.

Out of curiosity how many Super Bowls did Jim Kelley win? Surely Lamar will equal or exceed him. They are not easy to come by are they? As great as Bree's is he has exactly one. As great as Rodgers is he has exactly one.

Clipboard. Too funny.

m

Not being facetious.
    If Lamar was going to win any Super Bowls he should have done it by now.
    His legs are only going downhill year after year as much as they run him.

Lamar was being facetious when he said not bad for a running back to all his old school critics.

You're a riot. He would have done it by now? :D . That's rich. He's 24 and you have him already done. It's a long race. Give Lamar a Hill and Kelce and get back to me. The number one TE in history and Hill is a top 3 WR in the league. KC has an embarrassment of riches on offense and a coach who knows how to use them. Their D ain't shabby either. Excellent team. They are better then the Ravens this year and last. Only one team can win a year.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Usual Tampa start, flat. They either suck it up or get blown out.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:

@bronco2078 said:
    that was dumb defense

Letting that quarterback get away at 3rd and 14 was the nail in the coffin.

Why not credit the QB who made the play instead. There are 22 players on the field all trying their hardest to do just that. Just tip your hat IMO

m

edited January 17, 2021 5:13PM

No, when the QB has 14 yards of green grass in front of him, with no one there, it’s the defense that screwed up. He might get seven or eight yards, but 14 is unforgivable at that point in the game.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

An image the last time the Bills played the Chiefs in the AFC championship game.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember that previous KC-Buffalo AFC Championship. Joe Cool was having a rough day even before being knocked out.

Henne sure made up for that wounded duck pick he threw.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    edited January 17, 2021 6:08PM

An image of the last time the Bills played the Chiefs week 6 this year. No doubt the Bills will do better

I'm just messing with you 2 deuces. ( sort of) Enjoy next week. I wish my team was where you are

Enough bantering for me. That's all this is. I want to root on TB12

m

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2021 5:48PM

Jameis Winston throwing a TD pass for the Saints. Couldn't get any more wide open than that.

I don't know if @2dueces has really gone into this much, but for me the elephant in the room regarding Josh Allen is as follows.... He did something that almost none of these guys do, he re-made his mechanics and accuracy. And as far as I know, the way he did it would not have been possible without the pandemic. Iirc, Jordan Palmer spent a lot of the time he would have spent travelling to different QB camps instead being able to work with Allen.

@Justacommeman said:
    An image of the last time the Bills played the Chiefs week 6 this year. No doubt the Bills will do better

I'm just messing with you 2 deuces. ( sort of) Enjoy next week. I wish my team was where you are

Enough bantering for me. That's all this is. I want to root on TB12

m

No worries buddy. All’s good here. I’ve heard all the knocks on JA and still believed he was the man. At the Super Bowl last year he had dinner with Tony Romo and Fitzmagic. He picked their brain for 3 hours. Because of that dinner he got with Jordan Palmer and completely redesigned his throwing motion. He said it felt awkward and awful but he continued. It was his front foot pointing to the target and rotating the hip, not just using his cannon arm. His throws sailed high last year. His completion % went from 56% to 69%. The game slowed down for him. He began understanding what he was seeing pre snap. What tells management how smart and how quick you can make decisions is a wonderlic score of 37. It’s very telling. 32bd player in the 2018 draft score 13. Vince Young has the dubious distinction of the lowest score ever at 6. My cat could score 10 scratching in her litter box.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces - all good sir. He has all the tools and a very likable guy. I always root for the good guys like Allen, Lamar and Mahomes etc. its a pleasure watching these young Turks and I want them all to succeed. They all have good heads on their shoulders

m

@Justacommeman said:
    @2dueces - all good sir. He has all the tools and a very likable guy. I always root for the good guys like Allen, Lamar and Mahomes etc. its a pleasure watching these young Turks and I want them all to succeed. They all have good heads on their shoulders

m

The league looks like it’s in good hands for a long, long time. Nice to see the changing of the guard. Not quite yet but soon enough.

W.C.Fields

No, when the QB has 14 yards of green grass in front of him, with no one there, it’s the defense that screwed up. He might get seven or eight yards, but 14 is unforgivable at that point in the game.

Bill, stick to coins if you can't figure out how ridiculous that statement sounds. that wasn't planned, it was improvised. why?? because the Browns had the Chiefs covered, nowhere for Henne to throw the ball, and the pass rushers were bearing down on him. another second and he'd have been on the ground. it was his good fortune that the pocket had shifted to his right, the same side of the field the Chiefs were trying to throw on that play. there are only 11 players on the field and they can't be everywhere. listen to Mark and give Henne some credit, he made a split second decision, looked to his left and took off. his speed got him to the critical point just ahead of the defender.

I'm a Browns fan and the play really aggravated me, but sometimes the other player(s) and the other Team is just better or does the right thing. that doesn't equate to the defense doing the wrong thing.

edited January 17, 2021 7:26PM

@keets I of course agree because you are right :D

You have to account for Hill and Kelce and a 74 year old QB running for 14 yards you have to take your chances with. Besides, that wasn't a first down. They still forced a 4th down play.

Even with Mahomes out KC and Henne knew where their bread is buttered. He found Hill and Kelce on the big plays

m

Another interception for Brees. That might be the nail in the coffin for the Saints.

W.C.Fields
    edited January 17, 2021 7:51PM

@2dueces said:
    Another interception for Brees. That might be the nail in the coffin for the Saints.

Brees is making the right decision if he retires. He's got nothing left to prove and very little left in the tank

Great career

m

@Justacommeman said:

@2dueces said:

Brees is making the right decision if he retires. He's got nothing left to prove and very little left in the tank

Great career

m

It was telling when they sent in Jamis Winston to throw the deep ball. It seemed like Brees could no longer handle it. Perhaps the broken ribs had something to do with that.

edited January 17, 2021 8:17PM

@BillJones said:

@Justacommeman said:

@2dueces said:

Great career

m

It was telling when they sent in Jamis Winston to throw the deep ball. It seemed like Brees could no longer handle it. Perhaps the broken ribs had something to do with that.

Congrats! I'm pretty happy myself. The Championship games ironically are rematches of week 6. Grey beards vs no beards

m

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

michael thomas without a single catch. almost incomprehensible

gonna miss drew immensely, but it's time

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought Brady was supposed to break down, when is that happening again?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@BillJones said:

@Justacommeman said:

@2dueces said:

Great career

m

he is still hurt , why did he come back ? He could have rested 2 more weeks .

they rushed him back or he rushed himself back.

I like to think he came back early after seeing a broadcast of a game with taysum heel . He knew we were collectively sick of seeing the hack

@grote15 said:
    I thought Brady was supposed to break down, when is that happening again?

I think about 10 years ago

m

Early lines

KC -3
    GB -4

m

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Early lines

KC -3
    GB -4

m

I’m rooting for a Bucs vs Bills Super Bowl. I highly doubt both underdogs will sneak in though. Just like I kinda figured at least one road team would win over the weekend.

Devin White is a BEAST btw

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady wins again...amazing.

Too bad that the upcoming game with Green Bay, this season's Super Bowl winner, will finish Tom's season.

edited January 18, 2021 6:49AM

@stevek said:
    Brady wins again...amazing.

Too bad that the upcoming game with Green Bay, this season's Super Bowl winner, will finish Tom's season.

I think Green Bay will win as well

Green Bay is definitely the favorite, but they did lose badly to the Bucks during the regular season in Tampa. Rogers had his worst game of the season.

rodgers blows when does he win the big game for his team?

He will get his mvp and go golfing with it

@BillJones said:
    Green Bay is definitely the favorite, but they did lose badly to the Bucks during the regular season in Tampa. Rogers had his worst game of the season.

That angle can often work against a team when they're an underdog. A revenge game like that for the favorite usually results in a win.

I had forgotten about that game, and now i like the Packers to win even more.

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

That angle can often work against a team when they're an underdog. A revenge game like that for the favorite usually results in a win.

Also NO turned the ball over where Rodgers rarely throws picks. TB12 will have his work cut out for him.

edited January 18, 2021 8:28AM

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

Yes, and there are also instances where the underdog team has a "better team's number." When I was in high school, a rival team was the best in the Conference which was divided into the east and west divisions. They had a player who could gone to college on an athletic scholarship if he had been given the opportunity. He was African-American.

The guy could hit jump shots from close to mid court and was also able to dunk the ball, which was a big deal for a high school player in the mid 1960s. Unfortunately he could only do it during warm-ups because they had that silly run against dunking at that time. They beat everybody in the conference except us. We beat them in the regular season game and the conference championship.

In the State-wide tournament, that player was a stand-out and got a lot of press from the influential upstate newspaper. He carried them to the semi-finals while we got knocked off in the first round.

I think that Green Bay will win. I am just hoping it won't be a blow-out given the weather and other factors.

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

Yes, and there are also instances where the underdog team has a "better team's number." When I was in high school, a rival team was the best in the Conference which was divided into the east and west divisions. They had a player who could gone to college on an athletic scholarship if he had been given the opportunity. He was African-American.

The guy could hit jump shots from close to mid court and was also able to dunk the ball, which was a big deal for a high school player in the mid 1960s. Unfortunately he could only do it during warm-ups because they had that silly run against dunking at that time. They beat everybody in the conference except us. We beat them in the regular season game and the conference championship.

In the State-wide tournament, that player was a stand-out and got a lot of press from the influential upstate newspaper. He carried them to the semi-finals while we got knocked off in the first round.

I think that Green Bay will win. I am just hoping it won't be a blow-out given the weather and other factors.

I don't closely follow the rosters of NFL teams like i used to, probably because I no longer gamble on the games. But traditionally, the Packers always anticipated some playoff games in nasty weather at Lambeau, and tried to build a team around that. So i would presume they still at least aspire to do that if possible.

So if the weather is nasty in Green Bay on Sunday, minimizing the passing game, Tom Brady being perhaps the most immobile QB in the league, might become a plunked chicken out there. And that cold weather sure doesn't help 43 year old bones.

and tried to build a team around that.

that has a lot to do with why Teams from the AFC/NFC North will traditionally tend to have solid running games. it's surprising to me that the Buffalo Bills are so lacking there, I'm sure they'll be looking for an RB to compliment Allen.

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Aaron Donald holy crap is he great

m

That Packers OL dominated him.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2021 1:28PM

@Goldenage said:

@Justacommeman said:
    Aaron Donald holy crap is he great

m

That Packers OL dominated him.

Wrong. His injury stopped him.

He had a severe rib/side injury. Missed more than half the game. He shouldn't have suited up. Any Packer player with that severe an injury would've watched the game from home.

NOT one, nor even two OL at a time has ever dominated a healthy Donald.

You were right in your choice of words. Donald is the most dominating NFL defensive player in the last four years.

No Packer OL can match up to Donald.

@keets said:
    and tried to build a team around that.

that has a lot to do with why Teams from the AFC/NFC North will traditionally tend to have solid running games. it's surprising to me that the Buffalo Bills are so lacking there, I'm sure they'll be looking for an RB to compliment Allen.

The Bills built a quick small team both on offense and defense. Zack Moss (knee) was their bigger back. So far this design smaller more athletic hasn’t bit them in the butt yet.

W.C.Fields

:)