Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The December 2020 Pickups Thread...

Comments

• Options
    yoda100yoda100 Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

I'm not much into modern but had to have this card.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the 86D Eric the Red

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@addicted2ebay said:
    One of my all time favorites

Check out the centering on that Williams - what a great pickup!!

• Options
    PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 302 ✭✭✭✭

@addicted2ebay said:
    One of my all time favorites

WOWZERS

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yoda100 said:
    I'm not much into modern but had to have this card.

Nice choice of card, this was.

Great player, Patrick Mahomes is.

Great talent and bright future, I sense for him.

😉

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@stwainfan said:
    A nice 2nd year card.

When I was a kid I collected Palmer because he was an affordable HOF. The 67 and 69 were my two favorites.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rexvos said:

@stwainfan said:
    A nice 2nd year card.

When I was a kid I collected Palmer because he was an affordable HOF. The 67 and 69 were my two favorites.

I have his rookie. I thought this would be a good addition to my collection. I found it at a good price.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree on Palmer. HOF pitchers in general are a bargain - outside of Nolan Ryan they are much cheaper than comparable position players from their era. Love collecting them. Nice Palmer!

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rexvos said:
    Just got these in both are for player sets The Cannon is an upgrade of a complete set the Unitas gets me to 68.42% with an average grade of 7.137

I dig the 60 Fleer Billy Cannon; yeah that one is cool.

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Another for the Hockey HOF set:

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back when I collected hockey cards, I had that whole Czech set. Brings back memories!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigMike79 said:

Few more added to the 2000 Penalty Minute set i sent in to PSA to start up

Love that Probert!! He was fun to watch in Detroit.

• Options

@BigMike79 said:

Love that set idea, hope it gets up and going for you. Would love to keep track of that progress.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBrules said:
    Landed this nice looking rookie of Bobby Orr.

Paper loss?

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

Imagine 4 long cardboard boxes with 1987 Topps Baseball Factory sets inside. Plan is to pop one set, replace all the rejects with better examples, keep the rejects with along side the set. All four sets bought from a local BCS.

• Options
    edited December 11, 2020 9:14PM

@daltex said:

@JBrules said:

Paper loss?

No paper loss just some tape on the back.

• Options
    edited December 12, 2020 6:53AM

A buddy of mine knew I collected him and found this gem for me. He gave it to me last night as I was helping him sort through some of his stuff.

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBrules - that is a stunning Orr. Congratz!!

• Options

@emar said:

@JBrules said:

@daltex said:

@JBrules said:

Paper loss?

No paper loss just some tape on the back.

Congrats with scoring an 8 with the tape on the back qualifier!
    That's a beauty for a fraction of the price.

Thanks. Every so often I find an iconic card in low grade that looks much better.

@UFFDAH said:
    @JBrules - that is a stunning Orr. Congratz!!

Thanks Chris.

• Options
    BigMike79BigMike79 Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

@JBrules said:

Beautiful. A stunning 2. Congrats!!

• Options
    BigMike79BigMike79 Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

@rmh111985 said:

@BigMike79 said:

Love that set idea, hope it gets up and going for you. Would love to keep track of that progress.

Thanks. I've been a hockey fight fan since i was a kid. Im sure there would be some other collectors who would get involced collecting the bruisers.

Lots of players with 2000 Pims got their first card in the 1990 year, with the expansion to several new companies, Pro Set, Upper Deck etc...

To finish the set, one would have to submit a lot of common cards of Rob Ray and Mick Vukota types.
    Still would be fun i think

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lwehlers said:
    i been wanting a sheffield psa rookie awhile.

Me too!

• Options
    BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

Beautiful Orr. I don't know if I have the self control to not crack that out and try to remove that tape.

Brian

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erba said:
    Love seeing the hockey here. I'll add one that I picked up this week.

My favorite hockey set, awesome uniforms, and a HOF RC to boot.... always loved that card. Great 10!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@erba said:
    Love seeing the hockey here. I'll add one that I picked up this week.

That is a fantastic pickup, congrats!

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

51 Super nice WL Mantle
    AS I collect Yankee Team sets that card has eluded me for a long time.
    Maybe some day. I love the 61 Johnny U and 60 Cannon

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

No photos yet but picked up:

(2) 87 OPC Bonds PSA 8
    (12) 82 T Grocery Packs
    83 OPC Wax PSA with Gwynn on top

Taking a little flyer on the Bonds. Higher grades too expensive!

• Options

@lwehlers said:

i been wanting a sheffield psa rookie awhile.

I have always loved that card

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

@charliehustle14 said:
    Major void filled in my collection of players I grew up watching.

great card!

• Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

Another raw acquisition from the 1934 Mitchell & Sons Scottish Footballers set. This might be Tommy Walker’s first card as he was signed by Hearts at the age of 17 and debuted for them in 1932.

Jason

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2020 4:15PM

@DBesse27 said:
    My favorite hockey set, awesome uniforms, and a HOF RC to boot.... always loved that card. Great 10!

It is such a great looking set. Neely is my favorite player and I have a few of these (Plus 4 autographed copies), just nothing close to a 10. Figured I'd grab one before prices explode.

@rmh111985 said:
    That is a fantastic pickup, congrats!

Thanks!

• Options

@charliehustle14 said:
    Major void filled in my collection of players I grew up watching.

Great addition. If the centering left-right was just a little better that card is an 8 all day. Great looking 7.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rofles That's a nice looking Clarke! I picked up one over the summer, as it was one of the last 10 or so that I needed to complete a raw set. You did well! You really found a clean card. Almost all that I found had the blue spot on his shoulder. It's not really even noticeable on yours unless you're specifically looking for it. And many also had the stray black ink down in his rib area that mine has. You seem to have avoided that, as well. Great card! Here's mine for comparison.

Have you had a chance to check out any of the new local card shops? Would love to get your reviews of the ones I have yet to visit.

• Options
    NorcalNorcal Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Just got back my first Mantle, happy with the grading but do you think I should of tried to make a better cut? Opinions? Thanks.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF

@Norcal said:
    Just got back my first Mantle, happy with the grading but do you think I should of tried to make a better cut? Opinions? Thanks.

I think when you get a numeric grade on a hand cut grade, you go to a quiet place with Balki Bartakamous, do the Dance of Joy, and go about your day.

But that is just me.

Killer Mantle, bud!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:
    @Rofles That's a nice looking Clarke! I picked up one over the summer, as it was one of the last 10 or so that I needed to complete a raw set. You did well! You really found a clean card. Almost all that I found had the blue spot on his shoulder. It's not really even noticeable on yours unless you're specifically looking for it. And many also had the stray black ink down in his rib area that mine has. You seem to have avoided that, as well. Great card! Here's mine for comparison.

Have you had a chance to check out any of the new local card shops? Would love to get your reviews of the ones I have yet to visit.

Thank ya sir! I have! I went to the new one you mentioned here in Olathe. He has a great selection from vintage to ultra modern! Has PSA packs for sale, authenticated racks, etc. he has some lose vintage to look through too. He has an OC ‘72 Clemente that has sharp corners for 17$ I think? Very reasonable prices and VERY knowledgeable! Great guy and great sports talk! It would be worth going when
    You get a chance! Also has a ton of hand-collated sets to choose from! If you have something in mind your looking fo I can swing by and take a look!
    Oh and has a great selection of PSA cards too! Lemme know!

Blaine

• Options

Megaton Rc refractor and Tony the thrill Hill. Drew Pearson received a lot of the accolades back then but Hill was a heck of a receiver himself. Also picked up a 90 Pro Set box at a local flea market for $12 and was happy to pull a couple Emmitt’s

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:

This Shoeless is awesome!!! I would love to get one that looks like this in this grade!