Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The December 2020 Pickups Thread...

1235»

Comments

• balco758balco758 Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not quite the Twin Canadian beauties I’ve dreamed about, but still...

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 80.51% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.80% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, the Donruss Raines is the RC to have!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

A card I knew very little about that Cosetta Robbins helped with and added to the Alomar Basic & Collectors set. :)

• WFFLWFFL Posts: 495 ✭✭✭

@PNWcollector Stars are out tonight!

• PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

@WFFL said:
    @PNWcollector Stars are out tonight!

Indeed. I grew up in the 90s and early 2000s so all I know (and collect) are the star players when it comes to vintage.

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chicago1976 said:
    I don't typically collect postcards, but this says baseball to me. One of my favorite players, with bunting in the background.

Please tell me the exact size of your postcard. I have some oversized cards I want to submit, but not sure if there is a holder for them. Thanks.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim, those photo cards are awesome!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    First, I need to break the rules a little. This first item was a November pickup, but I was in the process of moving and didn't scan it until yesterday.

Years ago on this site, around this time, somebody anonymously gifted me this photo of Yaz with President Carter, signed by Carter with a JSA COA. The giver's note said that "someday" I could add Yaz's auto to the photo, and I finally took the plunge last month. For Christmas, my girlfriend gave me a really nice frame and mat with museum glass. Before I framed it, I took this scan, albeit in a smudged soft sleeve. Nonetheless, here it is:

Speaking of Christmas, a CU friend sent packages for me and my sons. Mine included these:

Since I already had the Fleer, the Boggs above has me ready to tackle his rookie set on the registry. But my favorite card in the package was this one:

Love it!

Lastly, I purchased this addition to My 1974 Topps Red Sox team project:

Once Mr. Segui makes the round trip to Long Beach, my team set will be 30/33 complete in PSA slabs, with 20 of those autographed.

Smashing pickups, Dan!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

@Chicago1976 said:
    I don't typically collect postcards, but this says baseball to me. One of my favorite players, with bunting in the background.

Please tell me the exact size of your postcard. I have some oversized cards I want to submit, but not sure if there is a holder for them. Thanks.

The postcard itself is 5 - 3/8 inches x 3 - 1/2 inches. The holder is 7 - 1/4 x 4 -1/4

• calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

These two arrived Friday after sitting under a pile of other people's items at the P.O for almost 3 weeks . Pretty pathetic .

Anyway both are a tiny addition to these oddball sets ---

" In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    First, I need to break the rules a little. This first item was a November pickup, but I was in the process of moving and didn't scan it until yesterday.

Years ago on this site, around this time, somebody anonymously gifted me this photo of Yaz with President Carter, signed by Carter with a JSA COA. The giver's note said that "someday" I could add Yaz's auto to the photo, and I finally took the plunge last month. For Christmas, my girlfriend gave me a really nice frame and mat with museum glass. Before I framed it, I took this scan, albeit in a smudged soft sleeve. Nonetheless, here it is:

Since I already had the Fleer, the Boggs above has me ready to tackle his rookie set on the registry. But my favorite card in the package was this one:

Dan,

Amazing addition with the Yaz. auto. with President Carter. An incredible addition to your Yaz. collection.

The Mike Yaz. auto is pretty sweet as well. Big time congrats on landing those two.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    When I started this thread, I truly thought that that card was going to be my last item for 2020. However, when you find a rarity you've been chasing for years, you have to try. I had a little bit of ‘found money’ that made this possible coupled with some auctions I listed that did better than I thought they would.

This isn’t an impossible set but for whatever reason they don’t really seem to be ‘readily available’ on the market. I’m sure you have something similar - an item that is on your watch list but not at the top and when you have the money it’s gone and when you don’t have the money one pops up. I’ve been flirting with this one a while and I made my move.

In baseball history, it is basically indisputable that the most important decade was also its least chronicled via cardboard - the 1940’s. The Yankees ascended to a perch upon which they still sit 80 years later. Ted Williams is the last MLB player to bat .400. Joe DiMaggio hits in 56 straight games. Stan Musial brings MVPs and titles to St. Louis. And most importantly, Jackie Robinson breaks the color barrier and changes the trajectory of the sport and the nation forever. There are some great sets from the time period - assuredly - but no ‘run’ of cards from one maker, save maybe Exhibits but they seem to be viewed as a continuous set rather than a single year to year produced set. What this does is create opportunities and value: great cards at fair prices, though maybe for not much longer.

While the whole small set is Hall of Fame and All Star players and comprised of 21 total cards, I picked up a partial set of 15 which came with the ‘big four’ and with a little luck I should be able to get this finished off in 2021.

You crushed it with that pickup. Those are pretty sweet. I am pretty sure they will be headed to PSA sooner versus later. Congrats.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2020 11:51AM

I am in love with that '51 Bowman Williams. Looks like an 8 to me - there are many 8s that don't hold up to yours. Congratulations on a great card.

• jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

As usual, great cards Brad.

• MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

Brad,
    Those are some GOOD LOOKING cards!! COngrats!!

@brad31 said:

First thanks Ryan for the '73 OPC Simmons. Really like this one. Been partial to OPCs of late and this is just a strong card.

Most of the others have to do with projects I am working on.

The '65 Banks leaves me needing 3 cards for the Banks run - '63 Home Run Leaders, '71 and the Rookie. Added the stand-up because I really like that set and would eventually like to start collecting it.

The '61 Ford WS is toward my '61 HOF set - now have 65 of 80.

The All-Stars are towards my goal of having all the HOF All-Star cards. Have not written down the whole checklist to see how many more I have to go in total - but most of the way there on everything but '69 and '70. Have 8 of the 12 in '62 and have 10 of the 12 from '58 now.

Similarly - have a goal of getting every multi-player card from the 50s and 60s with at least one HOF on it. Have not put together the checklist but really like it when all of the players are in the Hall like this Mays/Ashburn. Keep picking up ones I don't have as I find ones I like.

Will probably never put the '54 Bowman HOF set together because of the cost of Mantle and Williams - but I really like the set and now have the majority of the other Hall of Famers.

• stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another HOF RC.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

Added a nice Winfield

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

Down to 19 cards.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭

Some more additions for the HHOF collection. Gartner to be inspected for gradability upon receipt, hoping it looks as goods in hand:

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2020 8:45PM

A few more to finish out the year. Been a bit since I have been able to add to my Griffey Basic set. 183 down, 38 left!

Pop 5

Pop 5, 1 higher

Pop 1, 12 higher

• dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

Been a slow month made even slower by USPS and the news that one of my purchases was stolen within the USPS system. This one is top pop so far for a guy I’m really hoping comes back strong.

Thanks,

Jason

• erbaerba Posts: 295 ✭✭✭✭

@rmh111985 said:
    Some more additions for the HHOF collection. Gartner to be inspected for gradability upon receipt, hoping it looks as goods in hand:

Great cards! Love that Neely!

• yoda100yoda100 Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

I've been looking for a decent auto of Hank Aaron forever. Finally found one I like.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yoda100 said:
    I've been looking for a decent auto of Hank Aaron forever. Finally found one I like.

Blast from the past ;)

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

wrong month, you are?

• emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Nice Aaron.
    Put that one over on Feb '21