Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW WOW WOW ! Your Octagons, all of you, are spectacular !

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2020 11:45AM

I'm feeling EDIT: EXTREMELY inadequate all of a sudden . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ha! I was hoping Chief would bring out his "parliament" of Owls! Always fun to see them and lust after those antiqued!! ;)

All the PANPAC EXPOS -- I don't have any but may include those in the hunt! You guys have very impressive groups :o

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2020 5:31AM

@Bullsitter said:
    Bought this one on ebay for $49, only 19 were made.
    I do not know the story on these but the label and medal have 2017 DENVER ANA LESHER DISPLAY.
    I would have liked to see that display... B)

That's a great medal and very rare! I would love to have one! I'm also on the hunt for a 2014 Type 1 No Imprint. I have a number of the 2014 Type 2 and 2015 pieces.

@WDP participated in the display with 6 other collectors. I wonder if Dan gave them each a medal? Perhaps he can share some photos of the display?

@WDP said:
    For those interested in Lesher Dollars, I and six other collectors will have a display of over 75 Lesher Dollars at the 2017 ANA Convention in Denver, Colorado.

• felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 400 ✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    I do not know the story on these but the label and medal have 2017 DENVER ANA LESHER DISPLAY.

That was an amazing pick, @Bullsitter!

I snagged this one, and paid... more than $49 :|

@felinfoel said:

@Bullsitter said:

This has consecutive serial numbers with the one from @Bullsitter, being one number earlier! Wonder who owned these and got them slabbed.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@felinfoel said:

@Bullsitter said:

This has consecutive serial numbers with the one from @Bullsitter, being one number earlier! Wonder who owned these and got them slabbed.

His ebay name is Stageleft22 out of Scottsdale AZ. Don't know if he had them graded though.

@Bullsitter said:
    His ebay name is Stageleft22 out of Scottsdale AZ. Don't know if he had them graded though.

Yup, that's where I got mine as well. Looks like there were two consecutive. The ones before and after those two serial numbers are different coins by Dan.

edited November 9, 2020 3:34PM

@dcarr said:
    I don't know how or why a Lesher Display piece could end up at $49 on eBay (good deal for the buyer !).

I know, I about passed out. My max bid was $225 I think. The best I remember it wasn't listed in the correct category and didn't have Daniel Carr in the title. I found it by mistake, it wasn't in my normal DC search on ebay. I think I did an ANACS search on exonumia and found it.

I also bid on the second one and got blown out of the water.

I know, I about passed out. My max bid was $225 I think. The best I remember it wasn't listed in the correct category and didn't have Daniel Carr in the title. I found it by mistake, it wasn't in my normal DC search on ebay. I think I did an ANACS search on exonumia and found it.

I also bid on the second one and got blown out of the water.

I missed the first one (and kicked myself). I won the 2nd one with a bid of $230.27. I can't remember what my top bid was.

While not nearly as good as @Bullsitter's amazing $49 deal, I'm very happy with that deal, concerning the rarity, initial cost, ANACS fees, etc. And I love Dan's octagons. Hope to make it to Dan's booth at ANA in person some day.

• My other two large castings.
    Info from Mr. Carr's website:
    http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc_castings_list.htm

• Mr. Carr, were there other Alternate State Quarter large castings besides the Nevada?

WOW is all I can say!!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

@TheReverend said:

3 of only 10, that I'm aware of, 2007 Copper Proof sets produced by Mr. Carr.

Amazing! What a great set!

I remember Dan posting the preliminary designs on these forums for discussion. I wonder if that thread is still around!

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheReverend said:
    Mr. Carr, were there other Alternate State Quarter large castings besides the Nevada?

No others.
    I realize now that I never included the Nevada casting(s) in my published records.
    Strange question to ask (since I don't remember), do you know how many large Nevada castings I made and what metal it is ?

Can I use your picture, since I don't have one of that ?

• @dcarr said:

@TheReverend said:
    Mr. Carr, were there other Alternate State Quarter large castings besides the Nevada?

No others.
    I realize now that I never included the Nevada casting(s) in my published records.
    Strange question to ask (since I don't remember), do you know how many large Nevada castings I made and what metal it is ?

Yes, you may use my pictures, I'm glad I can contribute.
    I bought these large castings many years ago on eBay. The seller had one of them up for auction, which I won, then the seller offered me the other two, each at the same price I won the auction. I do not remember which one was up for auction. It was an offer I could not refuse.
    It's a silver magnetic metal.
    The reverse imprint is (blank x 1). I don't know if this is true but I remember hearing you would do that, leaveing the area blank, allowing you the option of producing more.

• The Nevada casting weighs 5lbs 6.6oz.

@felinfoel said:
    Those castings are amazing, @TheReverend!

I snagged this one on eBay a few years ago. 14 minted.

That's one of my favorite designs by Dan!

Congrats on picking that up!

edited November 10, 2020 1:49PM

@TheReverend said:

@dcarr said:

@TheReverend said:

No others.

Yes, you may use my pictures, I'm glad I can contribute.
    I bought these large castings many years ago on eBay. The seller had one of them up for auction, which I won, then the seller offered me the other two, each at the same price I won the auction. I do not remember which one was up for auction. It was an offer I could not refuse.
    It's a silver magnetic metal.
    The reverse imprint is (blank x 1). I don't know if this is true but I remember hearing you would do that, leaveing the area blank, allowing you the option of producing more.

Thanks, I had been meaning to edit my castings page to include a couple other vintage items, and this gave me the motive to do it.

Here is the updated document:
    moonlightmint.com/dc_castings_list.htm

• Will1960Will1960 Posts: 76 ✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2020 2:20PM

@Zoins said:

@felinfoel said:
    Those castings are amazing, @TheReverend!

I snagged this one on eBay a few years ago. 14 minted.

That's one of my favorite designs by Dan!

Congrats on picking that up!

Yep, Great Design.
    Several years ago I purchased the remaining rounds that he had left.
    Same with some of the very low mintage cast bars.
    Then my inbox was full of would you like to sell a few?
    I've been 'collecting' D. Carr's works for quite some time.
    I really need to take a complete inventory of what I have.
    If you like it, buy it!
    Missed out on a few and that still 'bugs me'.

@dcarr said:

Thanks, I had been meaning to edit my castings page to include a couple other vintage items, and this gave me the motive to do it.

Here is the updated document:
    moonlightmint.com/dc_castings_list.htm

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

edited November 11, 2020 8:13PM

@oih82w8 said:
    I picked up a couple D. Carr pieces, with ebay bucks to boot, and was looking over the sellers images and noticed one of the letters of COLORADO was missing/filled die, and a couple of Repunched letters on CLARK GRUBER as well. The image from http://www.dc-coin.com/una2009100amerossilverproof-likeseatedlibertywithddc-1-1-1-1-3-2-1-1-1-1-1-3-1-2-1-1.aspx shows all of the lettering of COLORADO present, it just adds a little character to my octagonal piece. This is my first Lesher Trade Token.

Wow! Great eye! That's amazing!

Great quote by Benny on that page too!

Benny Haimovitz said:

A Great 2017 Lesher Dollar !

Another exceptional creation and I think the best Lesher design so far due to the Assay Office reverse. Great work Dan !

@oih82w8 said:
    I picked up a couple D. Carr pieces, with ebay bucks to boot, and was looking over the sellers images and noticed one of the letters of COLORADO was missing/filled die, and a couple of Repunched letters on CLARK GRUBER as well. The image from http://www.dc-coin.com/una2009100amerossilverproof-likeseatedlibertywithddc-1-1-1-1-3-2-1-1-1-1-1-3-1-2-1-1.aspx shows all of the lettering of COLORADO present, it just adds a little character to my octagonal piece. This is my first Lesher Trade Token.

>

Dagnabbit! I saw that piece as well, and wanted to pull the trigger on it. I saw the missing "L" as well, but was trying to do some research on it . . . . .

Excellent grab, dagnabbit . . . . . .

I have been working behind the scenes to add to my hoard (it's beyond a "collection" at this point). I have been remiss in posting incoming, as most have been rather pedestrian compared to what y'all have been posting up.

I have also been a bit "distracted" by Jeff Shevlin and some of his stuff . . . . . . . exonumia smitten I am. Getting myself into trouble, I am . . . . . . .

I am, however, hoping to get back into the "competition" shortly with some yet to be delivered arrivals . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . .

Z

“dagnabbit” ! Are you Deputy Dawg??

Haven’t heard that term in a coons age...

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

I should have it on hand early next week, I will advise.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
    edited November 12, 2020 11:24AM

I was just thinking... Given Dan's goal of making a coin of every US type, how many of us, if any, are filling Dansco with Dan’s coins?

Mine are all in slabs for flips but it’s interesting to think about!

All this talk about "octagons" . . . . . . .

This is the ONLY ONE I have - at the moment - and it's not even a Carr . . . . . . . but I am looking to change that soon.

Some of y'all are so far ahead of me that a boy can never catch up . . . . . . . .

Z

edited November 12, 2020 12:24PM

Don Kagin was handing those "two cent" tokens out in Dallas a few years ago as I was headed off the bourse.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    I was just thinking... Given Dan's goal of making a coin of every US type, how many of us, if any, are filling Dansco with Dan’s coins?

I'm gonna wait for the Dan'sco 7070 O/S album.

@dcarr said:

@oih82w8 said:

That is strange and I don't have an explanation for it.
    I think I still have that die, so I will take a close look at it the next time I get a chance.

I just checked the die. The "L" is still there and it matches the other lettering exactly (in terms of depth, font, etc.).
    At this point my assumption would be that the photo was "retouched". A momentary filled die is also a possibility, although such things are rarely so perfect as to be able to make a letter completely vanish without the slightest trace.

@dcarr said:

@dcarr said:

@oih82w8 said:

That is strange and I don't have an explanation for it.
    I think I still have that die, so I will take a close look at it the next time I get a chance.

I just checked the die. The "L" is still there and it matches the other lettering exactly (in terms of depth, font, etc.).
    At this point my assumption would be that the photo was "retouched". A momentary filled die is also a possibility, although such things are rarely so perfect as to be able to make a letter completely vanish without the slightest trace.

I should have it in hand early next week...i will "fill in" the details.

@Zoins said:

I do not own a Dansco album, but I will probably get one or more at some point. I've been saving a few of each over-strike as I go and I plan to fill a some albums at the end. I think there will be difficulties with some over-struck coin diameters not fitting the holes, so I anticipate having to enlarge some of them.

Now that's a Dansco I'd like to take a gander at.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file