Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

End of World War II 75th Anniversary American Eagle Silver Proof (20XF) & Gold Proof Coin (20XE)

Comments

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Raufus said:
    With a lottery system at least we would not waste so much time.

I think its more fun the way it is now.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davidk said:
    Can anyone here vouch for wondercoin and/or coinflip on the BST forum for selling items like this?

Absolutely! I have a few transactions with Mitch (wondercoin) and I'm working with coinflip now.

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Did anyone else have Paypal simply disappear as an option at checkout...like poof gone? I've linked it to my account...but it was gone today!

2. Maybe the Mint should have let us all know that "new procedures" are now in place...and how to best navigate the new setup...just saying.

3. Maybe the word "Banned" should not have been used with long time customers...a bit harsh...like a nasty forum moderator!

• Options
    Danno44Danno44 Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

Just received confirmed email for the silver. So both acknowledgment and confirmation....next up shipping notice hopefully...

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that smoke I smell coming from the US Mint server??

Nah, it smells like something else.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

@davidk said:
    Can anyone here vouch for wondercoin and/or coinflip on the BST forum for selling items like this?

100000% yes on Mitch (Wondercoin) from my experiemce.

Im sure Coinflip is a swell guy too :)

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@telephoto1 said:
    Amazing but I finally got a silver. Better than nothing I guess.
    These are already on ebay being offered anywhere from $435 to over $600.
    I don't see the silver becoming moon money with a 75,000 mintage but they might settle into the $700-800 range.
    Any thoughts?

The $800 range will be for 70s only IMO. 69s should not be over $500. Raw sealed in between.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Danno44 said:
    Just received confirmed email for the silver. So both acknowledgment and confirmation....next up shipping notice hopefully...

Ditto. Shipping tomorrow? Fingers crossed

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    1. Did anyone else have Paypal simply disappear as an option at checkout...like poof gone? I've linked it to my account...but it was gone today!

1. Maybe the Mint should have let us all know that "new procedures" are now in place...and how to best navigate the new setup...just saying.

2. Maybe the word "Banned" should not have been used with long time customers...a bit harsh...like a nasty forum moderator!

PayPal also was not an option for the 2019 s erp.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2020 4:37PM

Anyone else had an order go through and not received an email from the mint yet? Thats the case with mine and my buddies'.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mgarmy said:
    So here is a real kick in the nuts. My wife got the gold and had it backed by her credit card...in the crazy that was the website crashing the credit card texted and said did you make this purchase and when she did not respond because she was hitting refresh...the card declined. She is a hornet right now!

Ouch! sorry man, that just sucks. I had one of those texts on a purchase last month and was surprised to see it. Can that feature be turned off?

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is what I got when I logged in on my phone! I'm completely done with the mint. I won't buy a dang thing from them anymore!!!

• Options

@92vette said:
    Anyone else had an order go through and not received an email from the mint yet? Thats the case with mine and my buddies'.

I just got my email an hour and a half ago. Took 4 hours to arrive.

• Options
    SlipKidSlipKid Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

@Mgarmy said:
    So here is a real kick in the nuts. My wife got the gold and had it backed by her credit card...in the crazy that was the website crashing the credit card texted and said did you make this purchase and when she did not respond because she was hitting refresh...the card declined. She is a hornet right now!

If it makes you feel any better (yeah right), those text alerts only authorize the card for a re-charge. Even with the text response, they usually respond and say, okay go ahead and run it again. Know this from past experience.

• Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Anyone hear about bots getting through?

Despite the issues, I’m happy the mint at least tries to do something.

If they hadn’t, we’d all be complaining about bots.

If they do a lottery, we’ll probably all complain with companies get huge groups of people.

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:

@Mgarmy said:

Ouch! sorry man, that just sucks. I had one of those texts on a purchase last month and was surprised to see it. Can that feature be turned off?

@Batman23 said:

@Mgarmy said:

@Batman23 said:

@Mgarmy said:

Happens to me too. It’s the credit card company’s procedure for fighting fraud. It’s frustrating. On a normal website where you are not under time pressure, you can just re-process the transaction. Not with the Mint, however, when they play their games.

• Options
    SlipKidSlipKid Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

If the mint took the coin out of inventory once it was in the cart would that solve most of the problems? If they gave the customer a couple of hours that would give the site time to calm down and allow payment.

• Options

@SlipKid said:

@Mgarmy said:

If it makes you feel any better (yeah right), those text alerts only authorize the card for a re-charge. Even with the text response, they usually respond and say, okay go ahead and run it again. Know this from past experience.

The one I got last month when ordering a laptop online, VISA texted me a 6 digit code that had to be entered into the online order page.

• Options

@Weather11am said:
    Anyone hear about bots getting through?

Despite the issues, I’m happy the mint at least tries to do something.

If they hadn’t, we’d all be complaining about bots.

If they do a lottery, we’ll probably all complain with companies get huge groups of people.

Someone on Twitter bragged about getting 116 coins with 16 users. Don’t know if it’s real or not but I’m starting to think all the “banned and error” messages were glitches intended for when the site identified a bot.

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭

A direct consequence of the mint's process was to alienate, frustrate and anger many, many of their best, long time customers.

But they've got lots of experience doing that with all their limited mintage eagles.

Seems they far outdid themselves though this release.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Raufus said:
    With a lottery system at least we would not waste so much time.

It wouldn't make anyone any happier, however.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow 7 minutes to sell out the gold

https://www.coinnews.net/2020/11/05/2020-w-american-eagle-coins-carry-v75-privy-mark-for-end-of-wwii/

Statement Regarding Sales of End of World War II 75th Anniversary American Eagle Gold Proof Coin (20XE) & End of World War II 75th Anniversary American Eagle Silver Proof Coin (20XF).

"The 2020 End of WWII 75th Anniversary American Eagle One Ounce Gold Proof Coin and the End of World War II 75th Anniversary American Eagle Silver Proof Coin were released for sale at noon ET on November 5. Release of these coins resulted in the highest website traffic we have ever experienced, which greatly exceeded our expected capacity. This high volume caused website instability, and customers encountered error messages and in some cases were unable to purchase their desired product. Due to extremely high demand, the American Eagle Gold Proof Coin became unavailable by 12:07 p.m. We are pleased with the initial demand, but are also in the process of evaluating the various customer concerns and system constraints and/or failures we experienced.

We want to assure you that the United States Mint remains committed to providing the highest possible level of customer service, and regret any inconvenience or frustration this buying experience caused."

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

@davidk said:

@wondercoin definitely very reliable and trustworthy. Professional businessman, not an amateur.

• Options

@SlipKid said:
    If the mint took the coin out of inventory once it was in the cart would that solve most of the problems? If they gave the customer a couple of hours that would give the site time to calm down and allow payment.

No business does that.

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

https://www.coinnews.net/2020/11/05/2020-w-american-eagle-coins-carry-v75-privy-mark-for-end-of-wwii/

"...Release of these coins resulted in the highest website traffic we have ever experienced, which greatly exceeded our expected capacity. This high volume caused website instability, and customers encountered error messages and in some cases were unable to purchase their desired product. Due to extremely high demand, the American Eagle Gold Proof Coin became unavailable by 12:07 p.m. We are pleased with the initial demand, but are also in the process of evaluating the various customer concerns and system constraints and/or failures we experienced.

We want to assure you that the United States Mint remains committed to providing the highest possible level of customer service, and regret any inconvenience or frustration this buying experience caused."

why don't they do what Amazon does? they estimate the highest traffic they'd ever expect to encounter, and then they make sure they have 4-5 times that max capacity ready to go, so they NEVER have issues

• Options

@VanHalen said:

@telephoto1 said:
    I don't see the silver becoming moon money with a 75,000 mintage but they might settle into the $700-800 range.
    Any thoughts?

The $800 range will be for 70s only IMO. 69s should not be over $500. Raw sealed in between.

I would be willing to bet against $800 or even $500 as a long-term price. The 2019 enhanced, with a 30,000 mintage, is only a $1000 coin. The ASE's with 100,000 mintages aren't much over $100.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Commencents said:

I see $200+ presales soon

Gotta be more than that. I already offered to buy at $200 over. Or are you talking about the silver?

I’m trying to sell one right now if your interest I’ll sell under market value.

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very disappointed in the US Mint. Will not participate in these ridiculous offerings anymore. This was worse than bots getting through. Being shut out of the site completely and having to complete captcha and getting error messages for an hour is beyond ridiculous.

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

The website collapsed and many, many people could not get through or make their purchase. Yet, tomorrow watch all the vendors who will have loads to sell.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@VanHalen said:

@telephoto1 said:
    Any thoughts?

I would be willing to bet against $800 or even $500 as a long-term price. The 2019 enhanced, with a 30,000 mintage, is only a $1000 coin. The ASE's with 100,000 mintages aren't much over $100.

A lot will depend on how they grade out. The ERP was 70 heavy and those are still commanding 1500-2000. The 69’s are around a thousand. If the 70’s are high on this one I think 300. If low, could go near a thousand.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    edited November 5, 2020 6:03PM

@Mgarmy said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@VanHalen said:

@telephoto1 said:
    Any thoughts?

A lot will depend on how they grade out. The ERP was 70 heavy and those are still commanding 1500-2000. The 69’s are around a thousand. If the 70’s are high on this one I think 300. If low, could go near a thousand.

Yes, of course. If only one of them grades 70, it will be worth $100,000

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@Kliao said:

"...Release of these coins resulted in the highest website traffic we have ever experienced, which greatly exceeded our expected capacity. This high volume caused website instability, and customers encountered error messages and in some cases were unable to purchase their desired product. Due to extremely high demand, the American Eagle Gold Proof Coin became unavailable by 12:07 p.m. We are pleased with the initial demand, but are also in the process of evaluating the various customer concerns and system constraints and/or failures we experienced.

why don't they do what Amazon does? they estimate the highest traffic they'd ever expect to encounter, and then they make sure they have 4-5 times that max capacity ready to go, so they NEVER have issues

It would be a waste of resources. 99.9% of the time, the Mint has traffic that is less than 0.00001% of the peak they reach today and it lasts for maybe 15 minutes per YEAR. Amazon has much steadier peaks and valleys.

• Options

@Gr33n said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Commencents said:

I see $200+ presales soon

Gotta be more than that. I already offered to buy at $200 over. Or are you talking about the silver?

I’m trying to sell one right now if your interest I’ll sell under market value.

List it on eBay, I'm sure someone would buy it...with the eBay/PayPal protections involved.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@Kliao said:

It would be a waste of resources. 99.9% of the time, the Mint has traffic that is less than 0.00001% of the peak they reach today and it lasts for maybe 15 minutes per YEAR. Amazon has much steadier peaks and valleys.

Plus some contracts require you to pay the increased bandwidth rate for a full year, even if you just need a days increase.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    TrumboTrumbo Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

Maybe they should create a new commemorative series...the "oops, something went wrong" series. Two years in a row, the mint is not up to the task.

• Options
    bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 786 ✭✭✭✭✭

at 12:00 EST I saw the usual blank screen then suddenly was able to buy an ASE V75, then it seemed to crash and send an error message, but somehow, I got through and got one. So, better for me than last year's 2019 enhanced reverse proof ASE, I also got cheated out of the 100 or so the Mint offered a few months ago that were "returns".

• Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

@davidk said:

No worries with wondercoin

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about they just eliminate the stupid lock out. It makes zero sense.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mas3387 said:

@davidk said:

No worries with wondercoin

No worries with wondercoin or coinflip.

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chrome gave me captcha, errors, and blocked messages.

• Options
    GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 569 ✭✭✭✭

Got a silver: USM083526XX. Used Edge on my Brother's business network and got banned. Tried until 12:30. Then used my Brother's phone on 4G using chrome. After an hour of refreshes got 1 at 1:30 EST. Got the first E-mail and then the confirmation at 6:06 EST. No captcha on Chrome.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yet another FUBAR.

Has anyone mentioned how 2020 sux?

Probably....

• Options

@Kliao said:

Statement Regarding Sales of End of World War II 75th Anniversary American Eagle Gold Proof Coin (20XE) & End of World War II 75th Anniversary American Eagle Silver Proof Coin (20XF).

"The 2020 End of WWII 75th Anniversary American Eagle One Ounce Gold Proof Coin and the End of World War II 75th Anniversary American Eagle Silver Proof Coin were released for sale at noon ET on November 5. Release of these coins resulted in the highest website traffic we have ever experienced, which greatly exceeded our expected capacity. This high volume caused website instability, and customers encountered error messages and in some cases were unable to purchase their desired product. Due to extremely high demand, the American Eagle Gold Proof Coin became unavailable by 12:07 p.m. We are pleased with the initial demand, but are also in the process of evaluating the various customer concerns and system constraints and/or failures we experienced.

I can tell you the time was less then that, at 12:05 I got the "item is no longer available" when I hit the final confirmation process.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file