Home Sports Talk

Brady appears to be settling in

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems as though Tom Brady is starting to settle in with the new team. 369 yards and 5 TD. He did have one INT. that went for a touchdown, but in all reality, this is the 4th preseason game. it appears he could be on track for a big year.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Comments

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think so too. He’s hardly thrown to Gronk outside of one game and if his offense actually gets a stretch where all of his skill position players are healthy we might see an all time type of offense from this group.
    Next up @ Chicago on SNF.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

The performance he had in that Chargers game yesterday was something else. He threw a pick six and the Bucs were down 24-7 early. I knew it wasn't over because you can never count number 12 out. Then, low and behold, he goes off on the Chargers and brings them back for the win. He showed everyone why he is the GOAT yesterday. He's a dangerous man when he's on the field, and he'll fight you with everything he has to win. Let this be a lesson to all of the Brady haters, don't ever count out number 12.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. I've been saying all along, even last year, that he still had it. It will always hurt that he left.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel I should point out that this was the San Diego Chargers. hopefully that doesn't dampen all the happy talk.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    I feel I should point out that this was the San Diego Chargers. hopefully that doesn't dampen all the happy talk.

arent good players supposed to dominate lesser opponents? By Brady doing just that, it is showing that the offense is starting to get into a rhythm. Had they struggled, it would be cause for concern.

I didn't watch the game but by the score he only "dominated" for half the game. my hunch is that once the Chargers had the big lead they did what is common in the NFL, try to milk the clock and hold on. it back-fired.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

whats wrong with the chargers? didn't they almost beat the Chiefs ?

I would say 5 TD and 369 yards is a pretty good attempt at domination. That comes with no Chris Godwin, Leonard Fournette and half a game with OJ howard.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I would say 5 TD and 369 yards is a pretty good attempt at domination. That comes with no Chris Godwin, Leonard Fournette and half a game with OJ howard.

Haters will hate regardless. Brady looked great at 43 and nothing anyone can say will take that away from him. FACT

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady who?

brady quinn

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2020 10:50PM

@keets said:
    I didn't watch the game but by the score he only "dominated" for half the game. my hunch is that once the Chargers had the big lead they did what is common in the NFL, try to milk the clock and hold on. it back-fired.

@keets said:

Nah, they choked. With no time left in the first half, up 17, instead of taking a knee and running out the clock, the Chargers tried a handoff. They fumbled on their own 6. Brady threw a touchdown. So, instead of up 17 with all the momentum, they were up 10 and reeling. Tampa scored 14 quickly in the 3rd to take the lead.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well the question this season about Brady never was would he have some highlights. Even Mantle and Mays when they were totally washed up and were only in the lineup to sell tickets, could still hit a home run once in awhile.

Of course Brady isn't in that category yet. But the question about Brady was, in my view, not that he would have at least a decent first half of the season, but how his second half of the season would go with a 43 year old body.

After two excellent games, last night he reverted back to being a serviceable quarterback, and he's only five games into the season.

We shall see how he progresses or regresses as the season wears on. Mentally he seems to be in the right mind frame. Will his 43 year old body accommodate him is the unknown factor.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can’t blame the loss last night completely on Brady. How many 3rd and 27’s can you convert in one half. We were reminded again the the Bucs are the Bucs.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Losing track on downs on the final drive?

Yikes.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

how many penalties are these idiots going to take? :D

that dope that headbutted the guy ? every game hes good for 30 yards in penalties

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not many games you can win by scoring a paltry 9 points in 3 quarters...heap on top of that penalties totaling 109 yards.
    A tough loss. It appears the defense was undisciplined and careless, it was theirs to lose and they accomplished that.
    With the Packers coming to Tampa next week, the Bucs season may be ending soon, not likely they'll beat Rodgers with the performance I saw.

That game last night was weird. It was weirder than a bear looking for his cell phone in his work truck!

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    That game last night was weird. It was weirder than a HOF QB looking for WHAT DOWN IT IS FROM THE SIDELINE!!

FIxed.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

i think he might have had his bell rung ;)

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

kudos to the Bears players for being resilient when their idiot face head coach did everything in his power to place them in a position to lose

i swear when Nagy called a pass play on second down on the final Bears' drive instead of burning the clock and burning Tampa timeouts i came very close to launching my television like a javelin

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@doubledragon said:
    That game last night was weird. It was weirder than a HOF QB looking for WHAT DOWN IT IS FROM THE SIDELINE!!

FIxed.

Time to go home now Tom, you've stayed out past your bedtime tonight.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@galaxy27 said:
    kudos to the Bears players for being resilient when their idiot face head coach did everything in his power to place them in a position to lose

i swear when Nagy called a pass play on second down on the final Bears' drive instead of burning the clock and burning Tampa timeouts i came very close to launching my television like a javelin

It’s still not as bad as last year when he had his QB take a knee instead of having Montgomery run up the middle to get in better position for the FG attempt to win the game though. I think he ran all over the field that day and for some bizarre reason he didn’t trust him not to fumble with a carry? The Kicker just missed the FG of Ofcourse lol.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:

It’s still not as bad as last year when he had his QB take a knee instead of having Montgomery run up the middle to get in better position for the FG attempt to win the game though. I think he ran all over the field that day and for some bizarre reason he didn’t trust him not to fumble with a carry? The Kicker just missed the FG of Ofcourse lol.

no one has to worry about matt nagyo'brienquinn splitting an atom anytime soon

@galaxy27 said:

tampa screwed up clock management too on their 16 second long drive . I think that drive with all the penalties was some kind of record breaker . They were on the 35 , marginal kick range and then marched back about 30 yards net even though Brady completed a bunch of passes , and Chicago got penalties too. It would be fun to se the box score of that drive

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

My thoughts on the game?.........somebody was going to win. Not worth analyzing. Two mediocre teams with mediocre coaching staffs fighting it out. Boring from start to finish.

If I had to guess, Tom finished the game concussed

no GOAT magic yesterday, he got out-gunned by Foles in a game that came down to a battle of field goals.

Tampa’s OL is not what he expected to work with and he’s thinking too much early on. Teams with new coaches, new QB’s were bound to have struggles the first 4-6 games. Look at all the undefeated teams. Same coaches, same core talent.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@galaxy27 said:

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:

no one has to worry about matt nagyo'brienquinn splitting an atom anytime soon

😂👍

he will be fine. played a tough defense, had an average game. was also missing a number of offensive players

@craig44 said:
    he will be fine. played a tough defense, had an average game. was also missing a number of offensive players

his team is moderately brain dead

Let's not get our sports talk panties in a bunch here, Mr. Brady will be just fine. I mean, they're 3-2 for pete's sake. It's not like they're the New York Jets, which haven't won a Super Bowl since the days of the Nixon administration. And speaking of the Jets, let's reach into our vault and pull out a Jets classic meme.

@bronco2078 said:

@craig44 said:

Moderately is a serious understatement. Remember, this is the Bucs we are talking about.

W.C.Fields

@2dueces said:

@bronco2078 said:

@craig44 said:

Moderately is a serious understatement. Remember, this is the Bucs we are talking about.

Excuse me, it’s the YUC’s

@doubledragon said:
    Let's not get our sports talk panties in a bunch here, Mr. Brady will be just fine. I mean, they're 3-2 for pete's sake. It's not like they're the New York Jets, which haven't won a Super Bowl since the days of the Nixon administration. And speaking of the Jets, let's reach into our vault and pull out a Jets classic meme.

He has one more playoff games than the Jets in the last 50 years. 😂

W.C.Fields
  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Came across this posted elsewhere:

Brady moved to Tampa,FL and since.....
    Miami Heat made it to the NBA Finals
    Tampa Bay Lightning won the Stanley Cup
    Tampa Bay Rays are in the World Series
    Tampa Bay Bucs are looking like a contender

@erikthredd said:

That’s insane!

@erikthredd said:

I love this!

edited October 19, 2020 11:19AM

Brady settled in quite nicely yesterday, unlike Aaron Rodgers
    whose biggest highlight was his chippendale hump celebration in the endzone. Quite corny indeed. I was just waiting for his teammates to start stuffing dollar bills in his belt.

edited October 19, 2020 11:22AM

Tom might have a bad game every now and then, but he's the GOAT, and he'll be just fine.

No team is as good or bad as their last game.

W.C.Fields

@doubledragon said:
    whose biggest highlight was his chippendale hump celebration in the endzone. Quite corny indeed. I was just waiting for his teammates to start stuffing dollar bills in his belt.

I agree. I would much rather watch Farleys version.

@2dueces said:

I would disagree with that statement. I think the Jets are every bit as bad as their last game. Likewise, I think the Chiefs are every bit as good as their last game. they really showed a great running game last night

@doubledragon said:

Rodgers has proven to be much less of a leader than Brady. I am sure I don't need to get into all the examples of why. He certainly hasn't had the coach that Brady had, but he also is anecdotally unreceptive to coaching. And his demeanor around his team when they are down and need to make a comeback, based on my observations, is lacking. If he wins another one (which he has ample time to do) his story will be seen through a much rosier lense. But it is apparent that these years have been ones of underachievement, despite his amazing personal accomplisents.

@craig44 said:

@2dueces said:

I would disagree with that statement. I think the Jets are every bit as bad as their last game. Likewise, I think the Chiefs are every bit as good as their last game. they really showed a great running game last night

I'd like to split the difference and say that no team can be solely judged on their last game. :D

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@2dueces said:

I'd like to split the difference and say that no team can be solely judged on their last game. :D

New Jersey has a team? The Jets ARE that bad. But I was talking about teams that actually are contenders. Green Bay isn’t that bad. Arizona isn’t as good as they looked last night. Kansas City didn’t look good against Vegas. It’s all relative.

W.C.Fields

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

Rodgers has proven to be much less of a leader than Brady. I am sure I don't need to get into all the examples of why. He certainly hasn't had the coach that Brady had, but he also is anecdotally unreceptive to coaching. And his demeanor around his team when they are down and need to make a comeback, based on my observations, is lacking. If he wins another one (which he has ample time to do) his story will be seen through a much rosier lense. But it is apparent that these years have been ones of underachievement, despite his amazing personal accomplisents.

Rodgers has a huge attitude and thinks he is the greatest by far, he rolls his eyes at his teammates yet it’s him who gets fixated on one WR over and over again. It was Jordy Nelson before and now it’s Davante Adams, he would rather try to force a throw to them than check down to a RB. I can’t stand the guy honestly

Aaron Rodgers when things aren't going his way.....

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

Rodgers has a huge attitude and thinks he is the greatest by far, he rolls his eyes at his teammates yet it’s him who gets fixated on one WR over and over again. It was Jordy Nelson before and now it’s Davante Adams, he would rather try to force a throw to them than check down to a RB. I can’t stand the guy honestly

I agree. Rogers is a great QB with a terrible attitude and narcissistic to boot.