Home Sports Talk
Options

Brady appears to be settling in

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    not the patriots they would trade the pick away for an undersized D lineman and a practice squad punter

only if they were from Rutgers

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:
    There are just a handful of teams that wouldn’t build around Trevor Lawrence with the success Joe Burrows is having and Trevor Lawrence was rated above him. Hell Burrows couldn’t start until his last year and he had 17 NFL players around him. Lawrence is a once in a decade talent.

Unless you have an elite QB that’s around 30, if you have the first pick it’s Lawrence.

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:
    There are just a handful of teams that wouldn’t build around Trevor Lawrence with the success Joe Burrows is having and Trevor Lawrence was rated above him. Hell Burrows couldn’t start until his last year and he had 17 NFL players around him. Lawrence is a once in a decade talent.

Unless you have an elite QB that’s around 30, if you have the first pick it’s Lawrence.

Yeah, the list of teams that would NOT draft Lawrence is really, really short. Like KC and Baltimore and Arizona. Maybe Houston. Everyone else drafts him.

Seattle too

I don't know that Baltimore has their answer at QB, but I agree they wouldn't draft him.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2020 10:24PM

@perkdog said:

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

Yeah, the list of teams that would NOT draft Lawrence is really, really short. Like KC and Baltimore and Arizona. Maybe Houston. Everyone else drafts him.

Seattle too

Yeah, them too, but Russ will be 32 in a month.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess who's living with Tom and Gisele now?

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    not the patriots they would trade the pick away for an undersized D lineman and a practice squad punter

Don’t forget a 6th round place kicker

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Guess who's living with Tom and Gisele now?

It’s very odd how Brady has taken such a liking to him

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

nevermind that , is Tom's house actually the mansion from GTA vice city? :o

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

nevermind that , is Tom's house actually the mansion from GTA vice city? :o

tommy vercetti !

• Options

even the GOAT has a stinker every once in a while.

as BB would say, ¨on to Cincinnati¨

• Options

@craig44 said:

I agree. Brady's performance and success are unparalleled and his detractors are waiting with bated breath.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

I agree. Brady's performance and success are unparalleled and his detractors are waiting with bated breath.

They want him to fail lol

• Options

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

They want him to fail lol

He is the GOAT. He has taken it further than anyone ever has or expected, continues to excel, and is trying to milk every last drop out of his unparalleled career. The haters feel emboldened by last night

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang, we can at least mention when he plays terrible.
    Tampa was looking very good until they ran into a buzz saw last night, its noteworthy enough
    to comment about. Just very surprising the Saints were able to dominate the game like they did.
    The trouble with Brady is when they get down like that he can't scramble around and make things
    happen, he's stationary and the defense knows they have to throw and they just tee off on him.
    A lot easier to get hurries, knockdowns and sacks on him than the average decently mobile QB.

• Options

Other than legal troubles like Tiger or OF, I cant imagine anything on the field that would diminish his GOAT status. He is not the oldest QB in history, but he is definitely the BEST old QB in history.

as amazing as it is to watch him at 43, I really have to say that Darrell Green playing CB at 42 is probably the greatest old age feat in sports.

• Options

@Darin said:
    Tampa was looking very good until they ran into a buzz saw last night, its noteworthy enough
    to comment about. Just very surprising the Saints were able to dominate the game like they did.
    The trouble with Brady is when they get down like that he can't scramble around and make things
    happen, he's stationary and the defense knows they have to throw and they just tee off on him.
    A lot easier to get hurries, knockdowns and sacks on him than the average decently mobile QB.

Absolutely, no excuses, TB and the Bucs threw up a stinker. they were terrible. did he fall off the cliff after one game? nope.

your comment about being stationary and that is why he was terrible last night holds no water. I have watched every game TB played with the patriots and I would love to have you show me when he ever scrambled around to make things happen?

scrambling is not a prerequisite to HOF QB play. see Manning, Peyton, Marino, Dan, Brady, Tom, the list goes on and on.

there have always been scrambling QBs. history shows that they do great for awhile, then age, injuries etc slows them down and if they dont become pocket passers they do not play 15-20 years. only example to the contrary i can think of is Fran Tarkinton. he lasted. Look at the punishment montana, young, cunningham, etc took. they had to adjust their games to play extended careers.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    Other than legal troubles like Tiger or OF, I cant imagine anything on the field that would diminish his GOAT status. He is not the oldest QB in history, but he is definitely the BEST old QB in history.

as amazing as it is to watch him at 43, I really have to say that Darrell Green playing CB at 42 is probably the greatest old age feat in sports.

Great point about Darrell Green. I cant speak on the greatest or not, but I agree that what he did was truly amazing. Particularly when you look at the NFL today. Some will try to downplay Brady by pointing out the success of other older, but not as old, QBs. But in the case of Green, we can see that he really stands out.

• Options

Every team throws up a stinker now and then. But historically the Saints have had the Bucs # for years.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

saints beat them up game one too

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Darin said:

Absolutely, no excuses, TB and the Bucs threw up a stinker. they were terrible. did he fall off the cliff after one game? nope.

your comment about being stationary and that is why he was terrible last night holds no water. I have watched every game TB played with the patriots and I would love to have you show me when he ever scrambled around to make things happen?

scrambling is not a prerequisite to HOF QB play. see Manning, Peyton, Marino, Dan, Brady, Tom, the list goes on and on.

there have always been scrambling QBs. history shows that they do great for awhile, then age, injuries etc slows them down and if they dont become pocket passers they do not play 15-20 years. only example to the contrary i can think of is Fran Tarkinton. he lasted. Look at the punishment montana, young, cunningham, etc took. they had to adjust their games to play extended careers.

Exactly.

@Darin said:

For full disclosure and to help the discourse along 😜 I have no problem with people saying he played terrible and I would participate in any talk about it. But I disagree with anyone conflating last night's game and his current ability as a QB. And specifically, as @craig44 says, the point about mobile quarterbacks seems off target. But it certainly is a conversation I'd enjoy having.

• Options

is anyone else sick of the tayson hill admiration society meetings?

ya he is great for 5 plays a game we get it now put your pants back on you two in the booth

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

ya he is great for 5 plays a game we get it now put your pants back on you two in the booth

^ this

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

Totally agree. A gadget player. He gets to break things up for a few plays a game. Everyone in Philly is getting enamored with Hurts here; for now, he's the same type player. I just don't get it either.

• Options

@JRR300 said:

@bronco2078 said:

Totally agree. A gadget player. He gets to break things up for a few plays a game. Everyone in Philly is getting enamored with Hurts here; for now, he's the same type player. I just don't get it either.

Curious, what's the consensus (or is there one) about Hurts in Philly? His role, the intention of the pick, the future?

• Options

@craig44 said:

@bronco2078 said:

^ this

In an alternative universe 🤣 that is how Belichick ended up using Tebow ......

• Options

A few different views. Now, with the way Wentz is playing (especially after the Dallas game), opinion is starting that the Eagles were afraid the He's not the Franchise QB they thought and hedged their bets. There is growing sentiment to get him more plays as he has been somewhat effective when on the field. Some of the longer runs have been with him in the game, eventhough he wasn't directly involved in the play. For now, he is the backup QB; Petersen has stated that repeatedly. For the future, who knows. If Wentz goes back to playing like he did down the stretch last year, then Hurts will serve as a backup and also insurance in case of an injury.

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    A few different views. Now, with the way Wentz is playing (especially after the Dallas game), opinion is starting that the Eagles were afraid the He's not the Franchise QB they thought and hedged their bets. There is growing sentiment to get him more plays as he has been somewhat effective when on the field. Some of the longer runs have been with him in the game, eventhough he wasn't directly involved in the play. For now, he is the backup QB; Petersen has stated that repeatedly. For the future, who knows. If Wentz goes back to playing like he did down the stretch last year, then Hurts will serve as a backup and also insurance in case of an injury.

@JRR300 That all makes sense. Wentz has all the tools. Besides the injuries, which l think are hampering him, I'm not joking when I say that the rest of his struggles come from that Foles statue and all that it represents.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2020 4:00PM

@bronco2078 said:

Yeah, no kidding. If he was as good as Al & Cris made him seem last night, he'd be on the field for more than 19 snaps.

• Options

He's not played well thus far this year, with the exception at the end of a few games. The turnovers have been killers, and with the injured skill people, they just can't afford those. Also, he's been playing behind an O-Line that has 1 of the original 5 penciled in starters. Lane Johnson, their best lineman, has been hampered with a bad ankle and he's already missed several games and parts of others. As a result, the run game has suffered and Wentz has taken a beating. I just hope that these bad habits get forgotten and he reverts back to the QB we saw last year and in 2017. He's a very tough guy with all the physical tools and a spirit that just doesn't give up.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@bronco2078 said:

Yeah, no kidding. If he was as good as Al & Cris made him seem last night, he'd be on the field for more than 19 snaps.

umm is it left? whichever way means they are taking their pants off they swiped thataway

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    I just hope that these bad habits get forgotten and he reverts back to the QB we saw last year and in 2017. He's a very tough guy with all the physical tools and a spirit that just doesn't give up.

This pretty much sums it up as far as I can tell.

• Options

Brady looked pretty good yesterday 🤷‍♂️

• Options

Tom did look good yesterday. if WR can stay healthy and get some continuity going, this will be a killer offense. AB was more visible yesterday as well. It is easy to forget his talent in the 2 years he has been gone.

• Options

I also noticed that Brady has thrown only one less TD this year through 10 games than all of last season. he is on pace for 35-40 this season. those type of numbers have never been sniffed by a 40+ QB

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I also noticed that Brady has thrown only one less TD this year through 10 games than all of last season. he is on pace for 35-40 this season. those type of numbers have never been sniffed by a 40+ QB

well steve wants him to retire so hes going to have to go

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

2009 - 4K yards, 33 TD, 7 INT

Brett Favre for the 12-4 Vikings

40 years old

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@craig44 said:

I know, right! Brady has also had a number of passes dropped in the end zone. 2 just in the last 2 weeks.

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@craig44 said:

40 years old

that was a great season for sure. there is a world of difference between 40 and 43 though in a contact sport.

• Options

Anyone thinks Brady's end stage career is awkward should remember Brett Farves spiral into stupidity.

When Tom Brady starts sexting reporters his junk that will complete the process

• Options

@craig44 said:

@craig44 said:

40 years old

that was a great season for sure. there is a world of difference between 40 and 43 though in a contact sport.

And there’s a world of difference in the rules protecting QBs from when Favre started to when Tom started. I’ll easily call that a draw.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@craig44 said:

@craig44 said:

40 years old

And there’s a world of difference in the rules protecting QBs from when Favre started to when Tom started. I’ll easily call that a draw.

agreed!

• Options

Favre was great until he wasn't. But that last great season was fun to watch.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@craig44 said:

@craig44 said:

40 years old

agreed!

Favre's 40 was a well-traveled 40. He had taken a lot of sacks as well as hits on scrambles.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@craig44 said:

@craig44 said:

40 years old

agreed!

I’d take Tom either way and any day.

But Favre was great in his own way and lots of fun to watch.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2020 8:20AM

@bronco2078 said:

@craig44 said:

Don’t worry, Carson Wentz will be out of football long before Tom Brady is.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

@craig44 said:

Pretty sad that a 43 year old is outplaying a guy who should be in his prime

• Options

@craig44 said:

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

@craig44 said:

Pretty sad that a 43 year old is outplaying a guy who should be in his prime

well he is a ging so par for the course really ;)

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

@craig44 said:

😂😂😂😂

• Options

Cowherd has a love fest for Wilson and Wentz everyday. He spends more time defending Wentz than talking about his accomplishments. He brings up stats all the time. First why Wilson has never had a single MVP vote. Well we see why after these 2 weeks. Always Wentz stats compared to the elite. All fine and dandy but the only stat that matters is W’s. By the way guess who leads the league in interceptions? Wentz with 12, Cousins with 11 and Wilson with 10. That’s a pretty big stat left out of the conversation.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    Cowherd has a love fest for Wilson and Wentz everyday. He spends more time defending Wentz than talking about his accomplishments. He brings up stats all the time. First why Wilson has never had a single MVP vote. Well we see why after these 2 weeks. Always Wentz stats compared to the elite. All fine and dandy but the only stat that matters is W’s. By the way guess who leads the league in interceptions? Wentz with 12, Cousins with 11 and Wilson with 10. That’s a pretty big stat left out of the conversation.

I used to hear Cowherd a lot when he was on the radio early afternoons. I do not watch him much now but will occasionally see clips. A few of his takes stand out to me in retrospect. During the lead up to the first Patriots Giants SB, he said that he knew The Patriots would win by comparing the ways that Brady and Eli handled certain nonsensical or intentionally comedic questions during media week. He said that Brady didn't get flustered like Eli, and extrapolated that out to Eli's inability to handle SB pressure. Right after the Seahawks drafted Wilson, when they had just signed Matt Flynn to a free agent deal, Cowherd said that these two decisions put together proved that Pete Carrroll had no idea what he was doing in regard to personnel. I also remember hearing him interview Matt Barkley, I think when Barkley was a junior at USC. Cowherd said that he knew Barkley would be a success in the NFL because of the kind of family Barkley comes from.

So I take his opinions with a grain of salt.

• Options

never liked Cowherd and so glad he is not on espn radio anymore. he is an idiot