Home Sports Talk

The Carson Wentz saga

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hear stories about Carson Wentz should be benched and Jalen Hurtz should start. Carson Wentz is struggling and the debates have started heating up. Should Wentz be benched?

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have cut him already

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2020 2:06PM

Wentz should join Joe Facco and Jamis Winston and be somebody’s back-up.

Peterson and Wentz will probably get the ax together. I don’t know the rules, but since he’s a “franchise” does that mean he gets paid whether he plays or not? If the Eagles have to pay him, there will nothing left for anyone else. The Eagles may as well switch their alliance to the Baltimore Ravens or the Pittsburgh Steelers because the Eagles will be dead for several years.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

They gave him a big contract, and pretty much announced to the world that "he's our franchise guy". Perhaps they're hesitant to bench him because of that. He's inaccurate, he's throwing picks left and right, his teammates are staying away from him on the sideline, and he just stinks. To be honest with you, I'd rather have a pothead mouse at quarterback than him.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way too early to start pounding nails in his coffin. He’ll be just fine.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a little bit upset and perturbed at the nasty tone of this thread.

In protest, i'm not going to post anything the rest of the night.

So there. 👅

@stevek said:

So there. 👅

@stevek said:

So there. 👅

😂😂😂😂😂😂

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I might be way off, but i think perhaps his backup winning the SB took a psychological toll on him.

@thisistheshow said:
    I might be way off, but i think perhaps his backup winning the SB took a psychological toll on him.

And having to see that statue of Nick Foles and Doug Pederson every time you go to work doesn't help.

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

And having to see that statue of Nick Foles and Doug Pederson every time you go to work doesn't help.

This is OT. I know many might disagree or see this as trivial. I'd like to get rid of all of the alcohol advertising in sports. I haven't drank in a decade, never will again. I am not disparaging anyone's right to drink , believe me. Everyone is different. But I feel like kids who watch games shouldn't be exposed to the incessant alcohol sponsorship. - such as the above statue. Just buy your own stinkin statue.

Sorry for the OT rant.

@thisistheshow said:

If that’s true, then he’s still a failure. He was injured. He could not play. If he can’t handle that, then he’s got too little toughness to play in the NFL.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2020 8:36PM

I do think he underperformed last Sunday. The interception in the end zone looked bad. Real bad. And he just couldn't get it done on crucial 3rd downs. But I really didn't know that the Long Knives were after his scalp. Also, the Rams look much improved. They look pretty solid. Either way.....wow!

Carson Wentz is no Slam Newton!!

QB rating of 56.5 in the Rams game.

That's Ryan Leaf territory. 😟

I say again, Carson Wentz is no Slam Newton!!

Alshon Jeffery is out again Sunday. If Wentz struggles again this week against Cincinnati you can look for Philadelphia to question their franchise choice at quarterback.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Wentz is trying to do his best Ron Jaworski impression

Jaws (years in Philly) vs Wentz 2020
    Completion % 53.3 vs 58.8
    Yds per Attempt 6.9 vs 6.0
    Yds per Completion 12.9 vs 10.2
    Interception % 3.9 vs 4.7

@stevek said:

So there. 👅

I missed this! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Well the famous CU forum reverse jinx is on full display here. So if history is any guide, the Eagles should thrash the Bengals on Sunday.

Wentz seems like a perfect future reclamation project somewhere. In all seriousness, the guy has all the tools. I've read multiple analysis saying injuries are an issue. I really do think his mojo and self confidence were destroyed by Foles magic.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

destroy the bengals? settin the bar kinda low there :D

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

So there. 👅

I missed this! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I still say Philadelphia gets their stuff together tomorrow. Miles Sanders is playing and I think Wentz will feed him until he drops from exhaustion. Look for huge fantasy points and an easy victory.

W.C.Fields
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe Burrow is already tired of losing, and unlike Wentz, will have the ability to do something about it.
    Yes Burrow's offensive line has been bad, but I believe he'll have a great game and will be able
    to go deep against the Eagles, something that has been lacking the first two games.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@2dueces said:
    Alshon Jeffery is out again Sunday. If Wentz struggles again this week against Cincinnati you can look for Philadelphia to question their franchise choice at quarterback.

The decision to sign Wentz was without question the right decision at the time. I'm not happy about it right now, and it's not looking too good right now, but the Eagles at that time made the correct call.

Sometimes in life ya do everything right but chit happens. Especially in the brutal game of football.

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

The decision to sign Wentz was without question the right decision at the time. I'm not happy about it right now, and it's not looking too good right now, but the Eagles at that time made the correct call.

Sometimes in life ya do everything right but chit happens. Especially in the brutal game of football.

He has done nothing since he was signed , how can it have been the right decision?

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

He has done nothing since he was signed , how can it have been the right decision?

He’s still got all the tools to be a great quarterback. Maybe a change of scenery or coach is the answer. His bad play isn’t because of skill, it’s the 11” between his ears

W.C.Fields

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

Wentz had a pretty good season last year after he was signed, but evidently you weren't paying attention.

Now pay attention and read this article:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-carson-wentz-stats-nfl-quarterback-records

If you’re still a Carson Wentz hater after reading this? There’s no hope for you.

As Wentz prepares for his NFL playoff debut, let’s recap some of the remarkable accomplishments from his fourth NFL season and from his career so far:

First in NFL history: Wentz on Sunday became the first quarterback in NFL history to throw 20 or more touchdowns and seven or fewer interceptions in three straight seasons. Only Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson have done it twice.

Elite company: Wentz’s 607 pass attempts this year are fourth-most ever by a quarterback throwing seven or fewer interceptions. Only Brady (624 in 2015), Rodgers (610 in 2016) and Matt Ryan (608 in 2018) had more.

Wentz and Rodgers: Wentz has thrown 35 interceptions in his career, or one every 58.7 pass attempts. That’s the second-best INT ratio in NFL history, behind only Rodgers (72.2). That’s with the NFL’s minimum requirement of 1,500 attempts.

Amazing consistency: Wentz is the third QB in NFL history to throw a TD in all 16 games in a season and finish with seven or fewer interceptions. Brady in 2010 and Ryan in 2016 also did it. Wentz was the only QB to throw a TD pass in all 16 games this year.

NFL's longest streak: Wentz will take a streak of 19 consecutive regular-season games with a touchdown pass into 2020, second-longest in Eagles history behind his own 22-game streak set over 2016 through 2018 and the longest current streak in the NFL.

No picks: Wentz had an NFL-high 11 games this year with at least one touchdown and no interceptions. The only other QB who did that was Russell Wilson. Over the last three years, only Wilson (28) and Rodgers (25) have more such games than Wentz (23).

Avoiding mistakes: Wentz has had 23 games in his career with 30 or more attempts and no interceptions, most ever by a quarterback in his first four seasons. Derek Carr has also had 23.

First four years: Wentz’s 97 touchdown passes are ninth-most in NFL history by a QB in his first four seasons. Of the 28 quarterbacks with at least 80 TD passes in their first four seasons, Wentz has the best interception ratio. The only QBs in history to average a TD at least every 20 attempts and an INT less than every 50 attempts are Rodgers, Wentz and Dak Prescott.

Joining Cunningham, McNabb and Foles: Wentz on Sunday will become only the fourth quarterback drafted by the Eagles to start a postseason game for the team. Donovan McNabb started 16, Randall Cunningham six and Nick Foles six.

Lucky 13: The only QBs to throw for 4,000 yards with 25 or more TDs and single-digit INTs this year were Wentz, Mahomes, Wilson and Rodgers. Wentz is only the 13th QB in NFL history to have at least one season with 4,000 yards, 25 TDs and single-digit INTs.

Unfortunately, Wentz as we all know is stinking up the joint this season for whatever reason. Hopefully he snaps out of it, starting today.

@2dueces said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

He’s still got all the tools to be a great quarterback. Maybe a change of scenery or coach is the answer. His bad play isn’t because of skill, it’s the 11” between his ears

My old high school football coach, when we were dog tired, and he still had us running wind sprints after practice, would always shout out as we were gasping for air, "fatigue makes cowards of us all."

I guess that is probably true, although at the time it didn't make me feel any better - LOL

I think it could also be said that injury makes cowards of us all. There have been some football players who quit playing and retired, when they still had a lucrative guaranteed contract. Likely quitting because of fear of injury.

Wentz has been injured a lot over his career including from his college days. Is he now packing it in because of fear of injury? I don't know but if he is, then he should just quit and let the Eagles move on without him, rather than dismal 56.5 QB rating performances.

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

"He has done nothing since he was signed , how can it have been the right decision?"

Just in total yards, top 10 QB in 2019, top 20 so far in 2020. Not too bad; I don't know if I'd say "has done nothing"

Well the Eagles punter looks good out there today.

Perhaps the Eagles can rebuild the team around the punter?

In the mean time, Nick Folds led the Chicago Bears in a comeback win over the Atlanta "Foldcons." Atlanta had a 16 point lead in the fourth quarter. Yes, the Nick Folds.

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m sorry, but that was the most pathetic OT against the Bengals. I just can’t believe what I just saw.

@Goldenage said:
    I’m sorry, but that was the most pathetic OT against the Bengals. I just can’t believe what I just saw.

They'll be playing that end of game video a thousand years from now as the most pathetic ever.

I take that the Eagle’s end game was not a “Nick Folds moment.” Given the way this Eagles’ season going, a tie is as bad as a loss, unless it costs them a draft pick.

You must remember that Wentz was really good three years ago. His supporters will never forget about that. His detractors are more interested in the last three years.

How bad is the NFC East?

No answers please, i'm beggin' ya.

:s

@stevek said:
    How bad is the NFC East?

:s

At least the Cowboys lost. ;)

@stevek I absolutely agree with keeping Wentz and letting Foles go. Foles is the greatest backup quarterback in history but he’s so inconsistent as a starter and he’s a great journey man. Maybe it is injuries. Maybe it’s just confidence at this point. My statement was if nothing changes it may be time to rethink Philadelphia’s choice in quarterback.

W.C.Fields

@stevek said:
    How bad is the NFC East?

Honestly?
    Washington should be alone at the top at 1-2. Dallas was blessed to have Chokelanta on the schedule.

W.C.Fields

@BillJones said:
    In the mean time, Nick Folds led the Chicago Bears in a comeback win over the Atlanta "Foldcons." Atlanta had a 16 point lead in the fourth quarter. Yes, the Nick Folds.

I know Trabisky got hurt but I didn’t see it. How? And how bad?

W.C.Fields

Tie games suck.

What they should do is rather than have the tired players continue to beat each other's brains in during overtime and be more susceptible to injury, is have the kickers decide the game. It's not like the kicking game doesn't decide many games anyway throughout the season.

Have the two team's kickers start from say the 45 yard line, and keep moving the ball back until one makes it and one misses. No rush or anything, just a snap, hold, and a kick. Simple, easy, and exciting.

edited September 27, 2020 6:04PM

@2dueces said:
    @stevek I absolutely agree with keeping Wentz and letting Foles go. Foles is the greatest backup quarterback in history but he’s so inconsistent as a starter and he’s a great journey man. Maybe it is injuries. Maybe it’s just confidence at this point. My statement was if nothing changes it may be time to rethink Philadelphia’s choice in quarterback.

I haven't given up yet, but then again neither did General Custer. :|

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not that this comment belongs here, but if Joe Burrow does become the next Tom Brady, then yesterday’s game was a step in that direction. His second half was pretty impressive. Not Russell Wilson impressive, but pretty darn good for a young kid on a bad team.

@Goldenage said:
    Not that this comment belongs here, but if Joe Burrow does become the next Tom Brady, then yesterday’s game was a step in that direction. His second half was pretty impressive. Not Russell Wilson impressive, but pretty darn good for a young kid on a bad team.

Looks like Cincinnati has a lot of promise at QB.

@Goldenage said:

He's doing extremely well considering how bad his offensive line is. 8 sacks yesterday!
    If he had more protection I'm sure he would have time to complete some deeper throws.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@thisistheshow said:

@Goldenage said:

do they still have the dumbest coach in the league?

edited September 29, 2020 9:37AM

@bronco2078 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Goldenage said:

do they still have the dumbest coach in the league?

No they finally smartened up and got rid of the Marv Lewis/Andy Dalton dream team combination ( Dream team for opponents that is )

Just checked the ESPN QB ratings and our boy Wentz is down in the cellar
    along with Sam Darnold in the ratings.
    So who is better, Darnold or Wentz?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

Wentz is dead last, then Daniel Jones, Darnold, and a surprising entrant among
    the cellar dwellers, Kirk Cousins.
    Why is Kirk so bad this year so far?
    Plenty of time to turn it around anyway.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21