Home Sports Talk
Options

The Carson Wentz saga

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2020 7:45PM

Kirk Cousins has been overrated for years. We all know I think of Wentz. Good for a little while, injured and never the same since.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    Wentz is dead last, then Daniel Jones, Darnold, and a surprising entrant among
    the cellar dwellers, Kirk Cousins.
    Why is Kirk so bad this year so far?
    Plenty of time to turn it around anyway.

Week 2 Cousins was absolutely horrible. Rating was at 0 for the game well into the second half.

This guy needs protection or he is horrible, with a little time he is very very good.

Vikings O-Line (still) a mess.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:
    Alshon Jeffery is out again Sunday. If Wentz struggles again this week against Cincinnati you can look for Philadelphia to question their franchise choice at quarterback.

The decision to sign Wentz was without question the right decision at the time. I'm not happy about it right now, and it's not looking too good right now, but the Eagles at that time made the correct call.

Sometimes in life ya do everything right but chit happens. Especially in the brutal game of football.

He has done nothing since he was signed , how can it have been the right decision?

Wentz had a pretty good season last year after he was signed, but evidently you weren't paying attention.

Now pay attention and read this article:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-carson-wentz-stats-nfl-quarterback-records

If you’re still a Carson Wentz hater after reading this? There’s no hope for you.

As Wentz prepares for his NFL playoff debut, let’s recap some of the remarkable accomplishments from his fourth NFL season and from his career so far:

First in NFL history: Wentz on Sunday became the first quarterback in NFL history to throw 20 or more touchdowns and seven or fewer interceptions in three straight seasons. Only Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson have done it twice.

Elite company: Wentz’s 607 pass attempts this year are fourth-most ever by a quarterback throwing seven or fewer interceptions. Only Brady (624 in 2015), Rodgers (610 in 2016) and Matt Ryan (608 in 2018) had more.

Wentz and Rodgers: Wentz has thrown 35 interceptions in his career, or one every 58.7 pass attempts. That’s the second-best INT ratio in NFL history, behind only Rodgers (72.2). That’s with the NFL’s minimum requirement of 1,500 attempts.

Amazing consistency: Wentz is the third QB in NFL history to throw a TD in all 16 games in a season and finish with seven or fewer interceptions. Brady in 2010 and Ryan in 2016 also did it. Wentz was the only QB to throw a TD pass in all 16 games this year.

NFL's longest streak: Wentz will take a streak of 19 consecutive regular-season games with a touchdown pass into 2020, second-longest in Eagles history behind his own 22-game streak set over 2016 through 2018 and the longest current streak in the NFL.

No picks: Wentz had an NFL-high 11 games this year with at least one touchdown and no interceptions. The only other QB who did that was Russell Wilson. Over the last three years, only Wilson (28) and Rodgers (25) have more such games than Wentz (23).

Avoiding mistakes: Wentz has had 23 games in his career with 30 or more attempts and no interceptions, most ever by a quarterback in his first four seasons. Derek Carr has also had 23.

First four years: Wentz’s 97 touchdown passes are ninth-most in NFL history by a QB in his first four seasons. Of the 28 quarterbacks with at least 80 TD passes in their first four seasons, Wentz has the best interception ratio. The only QBs in history to average a TD at least every 20 attempts and an INT less than every 50 attempts are Rodgers, Wentz and Dak Prescott.

Joining Cunningham, McNabb and Foles: Wentz on Sunday will become only the fourth quarterback drafted by the Eagles to start a postseason game for the team. Donovan McNabb started 16, Randall Cunningham six and Nick Foles six.

Lucky 13: The only QBs to throw for 4,000 yards with 25 or more TDs and single-digit INTs this year were Wentz, Mahomes, Wilson and Rodgers. Wentz is only the 13th QB in NFL history to have at least one season with 4,000 yards, 25 TDs and single-digit INTs.

Unfortunately, Wentz as we all know is stinking up the joint this season for whatever reason. Hopefully he snaps out of it, starting today.

I hate to be the one to burst the bubble but using the above stats - in any year of his career - as some sort of testament to greatness is laughable.

Every single list of quarterback stats is now dominated by modern guys and occasionally Dan Marino. That is EVERY list. This is the most pass happy the NFL has ever been and people try to use it to justify greatness. Remember when Dan Marino was alone in the 5K Club from 1984 until a decade ago? Jameis Winston did it last year...and was cut!

Playing in the pass happy NFL, even really bad QBs can put up mind boggling stats because the stats are so watered down that they mean absolutely nothing. And it’s yards, TDs, turnovers - all of it. It’s a completely different game now. Stats can’t be the basis of greatness when every statistical record IN LEAGUE HISTORY has happened in the last 5-10 years. If you’ve played your whole career in that time frame, you’ve got amazing numbers and your off to a ‘better statistical start than any QB in league history’ which - along with $5 - gets you a foot long at Subway.

The only one that isn’t really subject to change over time is games played. And that one has been a struggle for Carson Wentz - and I’m hardly a hater saying that.

He’s a nice player but if your missing this many games when you are Your youngest and healthiest, the Eagles must ask: what does the future hold?

The Giants (my team) have to be wondering the same thing about Daniel Jones and the turnovers now. I could easily make the case that Daniel Jones has a better statistical rookie season compared with Wentz - and one of the best ever! - but c’mon, man. It’s great to have ‘all the tools’ and gaudy stats but if you turn it over consistently, wins will be elusive for Danny boy. Our line is terrible - assuredly - but that’s true of most teams a few weeks in anyway and other teams seem to find a way and other QBs find a way not to fumble and throw picks. Or stay healthy.

We’ll see what the future holds but I know that these stats are all garbage these days in football.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    Just checked the ESPN QB ratings and our boy Wentz is down in the cellar
    along with Sam Darnold in the ratings.
    So who is better, Darnold or Wentz?

We have no idea how good Darnold is under Gase. After Thursday night’s loss to Denver and Gase gets the ax we may see progress.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@Darin said:

We have no idea how good Darnold is under Gase. After Thursday night’s loss to Denver and Gase gets the ax we may see progress.

Darnold might be ruined forever. Might be a lost cause. But he will have a chance at redemption when the new coaches come in.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

@Darin said:

Darnold might be ruined forever. Might be a lost cause. But he will have a chance at redemption when the new coaches come in.

When the Jets lose tonight ( they lay down) Gase won’t make it to the parking lot with a job.
    But I say that and the line has gone from Denver-3 to Denver +1. Both tackles and Crowder are expected to play but they don’t play D and Melvin Gordon will run all night. Your thoughts on the huge line move.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

@Darin said:

When the Jets lose tonight ( they lay down) Gase won’t make it to the parking lot with a job.
    But I say that and the line has gone from Denver-3 to Denver +1. Both tackles and Crowder are expected to play but they don’t play D and Melvin Gordon will run all night. Your thoughts on the huge line move.

I'm late getting to this post. I wasn't able to watch the game, caught a bit on radio. Jets are a mess.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wentz guides Eagles to victory over 49ers. Eagles lead division with 1-2-1 record. The saga continues.

• Options
    edited October 5, 2020 8:06AM

I shocked to see that the Eagles beat LA. Since they are in a stinky poo division they actually could make a "one and done" appearance in the play-offs.

Texas is now the home to the worst pro football teams in the league with a combined record for the Cowboys and Texans of 1 and 7. That is shocking,. New York would be in the dumps too if were not for the Buffalo Bills. The Giants and Jets are right there in the hunt for the first draft pick.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    I shocked to see that the Eagles beat LA. Since they are in a stinky poo division they actually could make a "one and done" appearance in the play-offs.

Texas is now the home to the worst pro football teams in the league with a combined record for the Cowboys and Texans of 1 and 7. That is shocking,. New York would be in the dumps too if were not for the Buffalo Bills. The Giants and Jets are right there in the hunt for the first draft pick.

New York State is 4-0
    New Jersey is 0-8

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finding a NY Giants or NY Jets fan on Sports Talk these days is harder to find than a '52 Mantle in a card dealer's bargain bin.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Finding a NY Giants or NY Jets fan on Sports Talk these days is harder to find than a '52 Mantle in a card dealer's bargain bin.

And if you do find one it may not be real

• Options

@stevek

Perhaps skip the discount card bins and the hunt for Jet and Giant fans and use your time to help the Eagles find a quarterback.

BIGBLUE

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

The Eagles have gone from successful underdogs to pound puppies.

• Options

PLUS

EQUALS

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium 😂😂😂😂

• Options

National talk show host Colin Cowherd defended Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz, despite a losing record and the team’s loss against the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday.

“If you don’t get Carson Wentz at this point, I’m out, I’m done with you. This kid’s incredible,” said Cowherd, who hosts his sports talk show on Fox Sports Radio and Fox Sports 1. "His record won’t show it, his stats won’t show it, he was unbelievable (Sunday).”

• Options

Wentz is unbelievable alright. It’s unbelievable that there are still Eagles’ fans out there who think he’s the answer.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Wentz is unbelievable alright. It’s unbelievable that there are still Eagles’ fans out there who think he’s the answer.

if you didn't watch the game on Sunday and saw the play of the offensive line and the beating Wentz took, then you have no idea how well he played. the stats don't tell the story in tat game.

• Options

Interesting QB matchup of North Dakota State U vs James Madison U. Too bad they didn't play at the same time in college.

• Options
    edited November 1, 2020 9:04AM

Nothing wrong with Wentz. He isn’t the elite QB at the moment the Eagles hoped for because of the injuries around him. The Eagles haven’t been healthy together in 3 years. Even coming out of training camp they were already the walking wounded. It’s gotta be the water or Cowboys fans with voodoo dolls. The jury is out until I see a whole team and a complete body of work.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

How the heck do you come out of training camp with a bunch injured players on the offensive Line with NO pre-season games? It just comes down to lame excuses.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    How the heck do you come out of training camp with a bunch injured players on the offensive Line with NO pre-season games? It just comes down to lame excuses.

Voodoo dolls? Bad training? Too many brownies? It’s been like that ever since Wentz went down in their super Bowl year

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Told ya the Cowboys would run the Wildcat! Swami Duece!

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Wentz leads off the first series with a stupid fumble. When will the Eagles let this guy go where he belongs ... as the back-up quarterback for the New York Jets?

Yes, I know. He was so great for ten games years ago we can never give up him until he's 45 years old.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

when they cut him the Pats will pick him up for league minimum :s

• Options

@BillJones said:
    Wentz leads off the first series with a stupid fumble. When will the Eagles let this guy go where he belongs ... as the back-up quarterback for the New York Jets?

Yes, I know. He was so great for ten games years ago we can never give up him until he's 45 years old.

That was as bad a play as I’ve ever seen a veteran quarterback make. Wtf is he thinking?

W.C.Fields
  • Options

“The Cowboys’ defense is keeping them in the game.”

No, Carson Wentz is keeping them in the game ... two fumbles and an interception. But other aspects of his game are better ... he’s only inconsistent and mediocre when he’s “on.”

• Options

After that interception I’m done defending Wentz. He may be talented but he has the football smarts of an 8th grader with a helmet on a short bus. I’m done sticking up for him. If Colin Cowherd tells me one more time his stats and how good he is I’ll throw my remote threw the TV. ( I want to buy a LG OED 55” anyways). That TV is amazing. If you’ve never watched one, don’t, you’ll be spoiled forever. But I digress. Wentz is not a smart person.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2020 12:01PM

Well Cowherd still defended Wentz after the 3 miserable quarters he played last night. I’m sorry but he wasn’t playing a Baltimore, Pittsburgh or even a Washington defense. He was playing a Dallas defense until last night was going to set the record for points against. Sorry Philly fans. He isn’t the answer. I’ve defended him to a point with all the injuries. But that sack fumble and that awful interception he threw was the OMG he really is not that good moment. Maybe it’s the injury in 2017. There are a dozen teams that can use a QB next season. It’s time for Philly to cut their loses and his salary and start looking for the real franchise QB. Maybe Tyrod Taylor will be available. Nick Foles. Trubisky? Cam Newton. Seriously you really want to spend $30M and watch him again next year. @stevek Your take?

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    Well Cowherd still defended Wentz after the 3 miserable quarters he played last night. I’m sorry but he wasn’t playing a Baltimore, Pittsburgh or even a Washington defense. He was playing a Dallas defense until last night was going to set the record for points against. Sorry Philly fans. He isn’t the answer. I’ve defended him to a point with all the injuries. But that sack fumble and that awful interception he threw was the OMG he really is not that good moment. Maybe it’s the injury in 2017. There are a dozen teams that can use a QB next season. It’s time for Philly to cut their loses and his salary and start looking for the real franchise QB. Maybe Tyrod Taylor will be available. Nick Foles. Trubisky? Cam Newton. Seriously you really want to spend $30M and watch him again next year. @stevek Your take?

No other human being can really truly know the pain and suffering from injuries of another human being. Obviously, the injuries have affected Wentz both physically, and mentally as well. Whether he finally breaks out of it, perhaps even he himself doesn't know for sure at this point in time.

The Eagles are likely going to stick with Wentz and see if he breaks out of his funk. That's my two cents.

Don't forget, the Eagles don't win the Super Bowl without Wentz being on the team, even though he didn't play in the Super Bowl. That is a fact. So there is some pretty good loyalty there as that Super Bowl win was so very huge to Philadelphia and our great fans.

• Options

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

No other human being can really truly know the pain and suffering from injuries of another human being. Obviously, the injuries have affected Wentz both physically, and mentally as well. Whether he finally breaks out of it, perhaps even he himself doesn't know for sure at this point in time.

The Eagles are likely going to stick with Wentz and see if he breaks out of his funk. That's my two cents.

Don't forget, the Eagles don't win the Super Bowl without Wentz being on the team, even though he didn't play in the Super Bowl. That is a fact. So there is some pretty good loyalty there as that Super Bowl win was so very huge to Philadelphia and our great fans.

Agree before the injury he was on pace for MVP. Do you really want to pay the price for one more season? That’s the big question

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

Agree before the injury he was on pace for MVP. Do you really want to pay the price for one more season? That’s the big question

Yes, Wentz will be the Eagles starter for the foreseeable future.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

That sack fumble was one of the worst plays I've ever seen from a veteran quarterback. Just brutal.

• Options

I'm sticking with the theory that Wentz's struggles stem from a combination of injuries and the psychological trauma of having a Foles statue outside the stadium.

• Options

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

Yes, Wentz will be the Eagles starter for the foreseeable future.

And the Eagles will keep up their history of mediocrity for the foreseeable future. Wentz is too inconsistent to be a franchise quarterback. He has flashes of competence or above average play. Then he goes back to what he has been this year.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@2dueces said:

That sack fumble was one of the worst plays I've ever seen from a veteran quarterback. Just brutal.

Jeff George had a few that were VERY pathetic.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2020 12:47PM

The "saga" started going bad during week 14 of the 2017 season. Rams vs. Eagles. You had to be there. I was. Up close and personal. I thought it was a dirty hit at the time. Either way, after that he lost a step and he's never recovered. Probably never will. You had to be there.

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    The "saga" started going bad during week 14 of the 2017 season. Rams vs. Eagles. You had to be there. I was. Up close and personal. I thought it was a dirty hit at the time. Either way, after that he lost a step and he's never recovered. Probably never will. You had to be there.

No doubt he was having an MVP season. The question will always be. If he doesn’t get hurt do the Eagles win the Super Bowl?
    I think the whole organization lost it. I mean really lost it. Nick Foles writes a book? Peterson writes a book. Statues outside the stadium. Are you kidding me?
    You do that after you retire. You erect statues as a 25 year anniversary. Only Philly would erect statues of fictional characters or players that played 6 games. The organization said, OK fans, we won a super Bowl, that’s it for another 50 years.
    Belichick and Brady have enough rings for hands and feet and I think they might have the right to those things, not a journey man and a coach with one winning season. But hey that’s just me.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

You must not see many Rams games.

Goff has perfected that play, and rolls it out every couple of games.

• Options

@hammer1 said:

@Tabe said:

Goff has perfected that play, and rolls it out every couple of games. But he only makes $35M a year so it's okay.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@Hydrant said:

No doubt he was having an MVP season. The question will always be. If he doesn’t get hurt do the Eagles win the Super Bowl?
    I think the whole organization lost it. I mean really lost it. Nick Foles writes a book? Peterson writes a book. Statues outside the stadium. Are you kidding me?
    You do that after you retire. You erect statues as a 25 year anniversary. Only Philly would erect statues of fictional characters or players that played 6 games. The organization said, OK fans, we won a super Bowl, that’s it for another 50 years.
    Belichick and Brady have enough rings for hands and feet and I think they might have the right to those things, not a journey man and a coach with one winning season. But hey that’s just me.

My only question is, who's going to play Nick Foles in the movie they make about it.

• Options
    edited November 18, 2020 11:36AM

@hammer1 said:

Goff has perfected that play, and rolls it out every couple of games. But he only makes $35M a year so it's okay.

Hammer1, you're correct about Goff. I'm a Ram season ticket holder and a diehard Rams fan. But I just don't know what to make of Goff. When he's on his game he is as good as anybody. But, after 4+ seasons he continues to make rookie mistakes and is more than often just terrible in the red zone. Anyway.....I get your joke. And I agree!

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@hammer1 said:

Hammer1, you're correct about Goff. I'm a Ram season ticket holder and a diehard Rams fan. But I just don't know what to make of Goff. When he's on his game he is as good as anybody. But, after 4+ seasons he continues to make rookie mistakes and is more than often just terrible in the red zone. Anyway.....I get your joke. And I agree!

Know any high school kickers that want to make a few bucks for the next 7 Sundays?

• Options

@hammer1 said:

@Hydrant said:

@hammer1 said:

Know any high school kickers that want to make a few bucks for the next 7 Sundays?

That is EXACTLY the joke going around the Hydrant family right now. EXACTLY! Can you believe the losers that the Rams keep trotting out. My son told me yesterday that Johnny Hekker was going to give it a try next. Hey, the Rams could win the division but they will go nowhere after that unless they get serious about finding a field goal kicker. And LEGATRON is wasted in Dallas. How's that working out Rams? PATHETIC!

• Options

Didn’t the Rams go to a Super Bowl recently? There are 26-28 teams would trade with you.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@Hydrant said:

@hammer1 said:

@Hydrant said:

@hammer1 said:

That is EXACTLY the joke going around the Hydrant family right now. EXACTLY! Can you believe the losers that the Rams keep trotting out. My son told me yesterday that Johnny Hekker was going to give it a try next. Hey, the Rams could win the division but they will go nowhere after that unless they get serious about finding a field goal kicker. And LEGATRON is wasted in Dallas. How's that working out Rams? PATHETIC!

I read/heard that NFL games are won by an average of 2 points, yet some teams don't value a good kicker?

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2020 7:35AM

Kicking is huge, It drove me crazy towards the end of Gostkowski’s tenure with the Pats, he was always good for a missed extras point when it was pretty crucial.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

@hammer1 said:

@Hydrant said:

@hammer1 said:

LOL I never heard “LEGATRON” before, I thought it was “Greg the Leg” 😂😂😂

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@Hydrant said:

@hammer1 said:

@Hydrant said:

@hammer1 said:

I read/heard that NFL games are won by an average of 2 points, yet some teams don't value a good kicker?

@perkdog said:
    Kicking is huge, It drove me crazy towards the end of Gostkowski’s tenure with the Pats, he was always good for a missed extras point when it was pretty crucial.

In my opinion, the change to extra points was very significant. Of course, it made the extra point no longer a given. It used to be an afterthought. But also as far as I know, it wreaked havoc with a lot of kickers both physically and psychologically.