Home Sports Talk

The Carson Wentz saga

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Carson leads off with a pick six in the Cleveland game. We’re getting used to it, but you most always remember that Carson was great for a short while several years ago. If we wait another half century, who knows what he might do?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does Carson really deserve a thread anymore? He's bad, that's it. I think we're done here.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    Does Carson really deserve a thread anymore? He's bad, that's it. I think we're done here.

Also, this thread does get off track.

edited November 22, 2020 8:10PM

Let’s hope the Eagles let him go and start again. The Eagles need another three year building program. Having followed this team since 1960, this is their destiny. I will be dead when they win another Super Bowel, sometime in the 2050s. Don’t laugh, prior to the “Philly Special,” the last championship season was in 1960.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Controversy in Philly after Hurts' performance yesterday?

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Let’s hope the Eagles let him go and start again. The Eagles need another three year building program. Having followed this team since 1960, this is their destiny. I will be dead when they win another Super Bowel, sometime in the 2050s. Don’t laugh, prior to the “Philly Special,” the last championship season was in 1960.

Not sure of the salary hit if they do let him go. I know it’s a huge # though

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m wondering what @stevek is thinking honestly. It wasn’t too long ago that he was touting Pederson as potentially an all time great coach. We don’t need to address how he felt about Wentz all along 😂

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I’m wondering what @stevek is thinking honestly. It wasn’t too long ago that he was touting Pederson as potentially an all time great coach. We don’t need to address how he felt about Wentz all along 😂

Let me just say it again, because I truly believe it. It's a combination of injuries and the Foles statue. But the injuries, while real, shouldn't have set this in motion to this degree. The statue, what it represents, and the psychology wrapped around it and in Wentz's head, is in my opinion why this falloff has occurred.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

This is a non-sports related topic so i have no comment.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a feeling that the Eagles nation will follow whichever quarterback is winning. If Hurts starts producing, the Eagles nation will follow the Hurts piper.

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

As a die hard fan, the only person who will win the that OL is Houdini. First two play when Hurts came in, he's running for his life.. Seems like now, the line is even having issues run blocking. Now, looks to me like Wentz is immediately looking for the rush.

edited December 7, 2020 2:23PM

@doubledragon said:
    I have a feeling that the Eagles nation will follow whichever quarterback is winning. If Hurts starts producing, the Eagles nation will follow the Hurts piper.

Can you name a football team's fans who would not act this way?

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Your a good sport bud 😂👍🍻

@JRR300 said:
    As a die hard fan, the only person who will win the that OL is Houdini. First two play when Hurts came in, he's running for his life.. Seems like now, the line is even having issues run blocking. Now, looks to me like Wentz is immediately looking for the rush.

Happy feet can wreck a QB.

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

It is painful to go from the pinnacle of football, to these low depths in just three years. Coming off a Super Bowl win with a young head coach, a young QB, and a team with pretty good talent, the future sure looked bright at the time.

Even just a month ago, it seemed like a lock that the Eagles would at least get a home playoff game this season, and then who knows what could happen from there.

Oh well, I've been disappointed before and I'm sure i'll be disappointed again...the life of a Philly sports fan. 🤷‍♂️

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

It is painful to go from the pinnacle of football, to these low depths in just three years. Coming off a Super Bowl win with a young head coach, a young QB, and a team with pretty good talent, the future sure looked bright at the time.

Even just a month ago, it seemed like a lock that the Eagles would at least get a home playoff game this season, and then who knows what could happen from there.

Oh well, I've been disappointed before and I'm sure i'll be disappointed again...the life of a Philly sports fan. 🤷‍♂️

Well said.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

I had a piper to follow once. He dropped the pipe in the Super Bowl!

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Yep there are no promises in Sports. Especially the NFL, believe me I stressed every year with Brady in town because I knew with him we had our best chance at a Super Bowl and I wanted as many as we could get since I knew the day would come when Brady would skip town or retire. At least you got that Super Bowl, poor Minny & Buffalo fans went through hell losing it 4 times, other teams like Detroit, Jets ect.. are hopeless

I'm sure not thrilled about that response.

edited December 7, 2020 3:42PM

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

Let me just say it again, because I truly believe it. It's a combination of injuries and the Foles statue. But the injuries, while real, shouldn't have set this in motion to this degree. The statue, what it represents, and the psychology wrapped around it and in Wentz's head, is in my opinion why this falloff has occurred.

If Wentz were stronger player, he’d be busting his butt to win another Super Bowl and get his statue set up next to Foles. If that statue is in his head, he’s to much of a pansy to be a top NFL player.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wentz and Goff.

Yesterday, Goff's average caught pass traveled 2.7 yards in the air beyond the line of scrimmage. Worst in the NFL.

Is Pat Haden available?

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hammer1 said:
    Wentz and Goff.

Yesterday, Goff's average caught pass traveled 2.7 yards in the air beyond the line of scrimmage. Worst in the NFL.

Is Vince Ferragamo available?

FIFY

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know who made the decision to let Carson Wentz substitute for Ben Roethlisberger tonight, but whoever it was should be fired.

or

Does anybody remember when Ben Roethlisberger didn't choke like a baby in a room full of Lego in the 4th quarter? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.

@dallasactuary said:
    I don't know who made the decision to let Carson Wentz substitute for Ben Roethlisberger tonight, but whoever it was should be fired.

or

Does anybody remember when Ben Roethlisberger didn't choke like a baby in a room full of Lego in the 4th quarter? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Big upset, the Football Team over the Steelers.

I didn't see the game.

edited December 7, 2020 10:59PM

@hammer1 said:
    Wentz and Goff.

Is Pat Haden available?

Last time I checked Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods were leading all NFL receivers in yardage gained after catch. It's usually wise to go with what works best if the goal is to win the game. Meaningless statistics are just that.......meaningless.

edited December 8, 2020 3:35AM

@Hydrant said:

@hammer1 said:
    Wentz and Goff.

Is Pat Haden available?

Last time I checked Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods were leading all NFL receivers in yardage gained after catch. It's usually wise to go with what works best if the goal is to win the game. Meaningless statistics are just that.......meaningless.

Right but WR that are great after the catch doesn’t necessarily mean the QB is to be given credit for it either though. If Cupp or Woods take WR screen and they maneuver around 3 idiot defenders who don’t want to tackle and they scamper 80 yards the credit goes to them really but the stats get fluffed for the QB. Your better suited to have a QB be accurate downfield more times than not, especially when the clock is melting on a drive that you need to score. Goff is managing just fine but he is nowhere near worth the money he is making nor is he an elite QB

A side note here. Russell Wilson is doing a hell of job to take away his chances for a potential MVP, he has been awful after such a great start and his statement that he is the best QB

Stock just went up again on Josh Allen after last night. Before the season I said he’d be in the top 3. With the fall to mediocrity of Wilson and Murray my prediction is looking better.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Allen is definitely in the conversation

@2dueces said:
    Stock just went up again on Josh Allen after last night. Before the season I said he’d be in the top 3. With the fall to mediocrity of Wilson and Murray my prediction is looking better.

However the season ends, he is on an upward trajectory.

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

However the season ends, he is on an upward trajectory.

Buffalo needs to win one and he gives them a legitimate shot

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2020 10:07AM

@Hydrant said:

@hammer1 said:
    Wentz and Goff.

Is Pat Haden available?

Both are gifted receivers, with great moves after catching a short pass.

I've watched every minute of Goff's career on the field. You know how many receptions in 5 years he has with the ball thrown over 20 yards past the line of scrimmage and a defender within a yard of the receiver? Which is the sign of a great QB. You won't need your toes to count.

Very meaningful stat, that's why it is kept. I'm seeing a QB that only completes deep passes when his receivers are wide open. btw he misses as many of those wide open receivers as he completes.

Are you of the opinion he is a very good QB that can throw deep, with defenders covering his receivers, and accurately lay in a pinpoint pass? If so, please send me a pair of your homer glasses. I'm not seeing anything remotely resembling a deep passing threat.

@perkdog said:
    A side note here. Russell Wilson is doing a hell of job to take away his chances for a potential MVP, he has been awful after such a great start and his statement that he is the best QB

After 4 games everyone questioned why he never received a SINGLE MVP vote. As the season progresses we see why. I think an MVP doesn’t have to be great every game. They just can’t suck two or 3 games. All QB’s have bad games but not 4 INT or 2 INT and 2 fumbles. It just can’t happen and it’s gotta take you out of the running. 4th quarter comebacks have to figure in. The exemption was Jackson last year. He didn’t have to come back. So my 3 as of this minute.
    Patrick Mahomes
    Aaron Rogers
    Josh Allen.

W.C.Fields

For many years Russell Wilson was my favorite player to watch. Seeing him on T.V. is one thing but seeing him at the game is truly amazing. Unfortunately, it looks like he's lost a step this year. The Seahawk offensive line isn't helping matters. Too bad.

edited December 8, 2020 11:43AM

This is a great thread. Very lively and fun. Let's keep it going!.....But I think it needs a new title. At least Carson Wentz has done one positive thing this season......he's the reason for this thread!

He won’t throw any interceptions this week. Finally got the pine. Boy is he some dead cap.

W.C.Fields

@Hydrant said:
    This is a great thread. Very lively and fun. Let's keep it going!.....But I think it needs a new title. At least Carson Wentz has done one positive thing this season......he's the reason for this thread!

I agree on all points but one - the title change. I personally enjoy threads that grow organically and take on strength like this. And those in the know or who want to know will find their way here regardless of title.

@hammer1 said:

@Hydrant said:

@hammer1 said:
    Wentz and Goff.

Is Pat Haden available?

I've watched every minute of Goff's career on the field. You know how many receptions in 5 years he has with the ball thrown over 20 yards past the line of scrimmage and a defender within a yard of the receiver? Which is the sign of a great QB. You won't need your toes to count.

Very meaningful stat, that's why it is kept. I'm seeing a QB that only completes deep passes when his receivers are wide open. btw he misses as many of those wide open receivers as he completes.

Are you of the opinion he is a very good QB that can throw deep, with defenders covering his receivers, and accurately lay in a pinpoint pass? If so, please send me a pair of your homer glasses. I'm not seeing anything remotely resembling a deep passing threat.

My eyes tell me that this is correct regarding Goff's deep accuracy struggles. But I definitely see in him a QB who has improved and is no longer just "doing McVay's bidding" on offense.

edited December 8, 2020 1:37PM

@thisistheshow said:

@hammer1 said:

@Hydrant said:

@hammer1 said:
    Wentz and Goff.

Is Pat Haden available?

My eyes tell me that this is correct regarding Goff's deep accuracy struggles. But I definitely see in him a QB who has improved and is no longer just "doing McVay's bidding" on offense.

I respectfully disagree. I think what is holding him back are decisions made in the front office and relayed to the coaching staff. They haven't wanted him running with the ball since day one and I suspect that they don't want him to roll out of the pocket. Too bad because that is when he is at his best. I see the situation as him playing totally within the "system" laid out for him.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    For many years Russell Wilson was my favorite player to watch. Seeing him on T.V. is one thing but seeing him at the game is truly amazing. Unfortunately, it looks like he's lost a step this year. The Seahawk offensive line isn't helping matters. Too bad.

I don't think he's taken a step back. He was incredible the first 7 or 8 weeks but he's been awful since then. But he's doing the same things he's always done - holding the ball too long, taking bad sacks, etc. He's getting sacked 1 out of every 12 dropbacks. 2 years ago, it was 1 out of 9! Sure, some of that is the line but not all of it. Contrast that with Aaron Rodgers, who gets sacked 1 out of every 16 dropbacks for his career and this year is at 1 out of every 33! And it's not like he's had great offensive lines every season.

@Hydrant said:

@thisistheshow said:

@hammer1 said:

@Hydrant said:

@hammer1 said:
    Wentz and Goff.

Is Pat Haden available?

I respectfully disagree. I think what is holding him back are decisions made in the front office and relayed to the coaching staff. They haven't wanted him running with the ball since day one and I suspect that they don't want him to roll out of the pocket. Too bad because that is when he is at his best. I see the situation as him playing totally within the "system" laid out for him.

I haven't looked at him enough to know, so I'm curious....are you saying or have you seen that he is more accurate deep from out of the pocket? I was agreeing with the idea that he seems inaccurate on deep balls thrown to receivers with little separation in the way mentioned above.

I haven’t watched Wilson play much at all but he has been playing bad there is no question about it. I might be off base but maybe in his head he is too cocky for his own good? Coming out and saying he is the best QB in the league, the talk of how he spends about a million a year keeping his body in tip top shape for football IDK I think he is still elite and will probably bounce back but right now he needs to make better mental decisions during the game from what I’m reading

@2dueces said:

2deuces- I was just thinking yesterday about which players' stock is up this year and which players' is down.
    Certainly Josh Allens' stock price is a lot higher.
    I think Baker Mayfield is another. I was down on him earlier in the year but he did have to play through
    2 or 3 bad weather games in a row. His numbers are fairly impressive considering that. And he's playing
    very well down the home stretch when the Browns' need him to lead the team to the playoffs. I admit
    I may have been wrong about Baker.
    And I'm very interested to see what Lamar Jackson can do tonight because so far his stock price has
    dropped a lot since last year. His numbers are way down from his MVP year and not just because
    he missed one game because of covid.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@perkdog said:
    I haven’t watched Wilson play much at all but he has been playing bad there is no question about it. I might be off base but maybe in his head he is too cocky for his own good? Coming out and saying he is the best QB in the league, the talk of how he spends about a million a year keeping his body in tip top shape for football IDK I think he is still elite and will probably bounce back but right now he needs to make better mental decisions during the game from what I’m reading

perk, I watched a couple of Wilsons' early games this year when he was on fire. It seemed like every throw
    was just pinpoint accurate. Even the deep throws he was laying it in there where only the receiver could catch it.
    Seems like he's lost some of that accuracy along with more bad decisions resulting in more picks.
    I agree I think he'll play better down the stretch because he can't be happy with his recent play and being
    the competitor he is he'll more than likely get his game turned around.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

perk, I watched a couple of Wilsons' early games this year when he was on fire. It seemed like every throw
    was just pinpoint accurate. Even the deep throws he was laying it in there where only the receiver could catch it.
    Seems like he's lost some of that accuracy along with more bad decisions resulting in more picks.
    I agree I think he'll play better down the stretch because he can't be happy with his recent play and being
    the competitor he is he'll more than likely get his game turned around.

I’m definitely not writing the Seahawks off whatsoever, they can turn it around for sure.

I like it. Why not give the rookie a chance since Wentz is A- Terrible and B- Doesn’t have that killer instinct. He basically just cowered down about being benched, I mean yea it’s out of his control but at least say your pissed off about it

It’s the worst idea that could happen for all involved. Hurts wins 4 straight. What do you do with Wentz? $32M and a huge cap hit. Hurts isn’t the answer. Oh we’re sorry Carson you’re our franchise QB. Lmao.

W.C.Fields

Ok I’m fast turning into a hater of Russell Wilson. Just Shut the hell up will you?? Seriously who does this guy think he is? https://amp.tmz.com/2020/12/09/russell-wilson-tim-tebow-baseball-mlb-new-york-mets-seahawks-nfl/