Home Sports Talk
Options

The Carson Wentz saga

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Ok I’m fast turning into a hater of Russell Wilson. Just Shut the hell up will you?? Seriously who does this guy think he is? https://amp.tmz.com/2020/12/09/russell-wilson-tim-tebow-baseball-mlb-new-york-mets-seahawks-nfl/

Yes, and judging from the way the Seahawks stunk it up against the Giants, he needs to be focusing on football and not baseball.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wilson's play has tailed off as the season has progressed, but trust me the Hawks have bigger issues than him

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Ok I’m fast turning into a hater of Russell Wilson. Just Shut the hell up will you?? Seriously who does this guy think he is?

Mister unliiiiimited

https://mobile.twitter.com/dangerusswilson/status/997952886167367680?lang=en

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've said this before and will undoubtedly say it again in the future...

Paying huge guaranteed $$ for future performance is directly detrimental to the mindset of the person to whom this incredible sum is so bestowed by those in power who sign the checks. If you think the person to whom this incredible amount of guaranteed $$ is so bestowed doesn't realize he really doesn't have to perform at 100%+ you are having a serious synapse issue. There is NO incentive to excel.

MLB is rife with untold fortunes paid to yesteryear players, including other pro sports who are laughing all the way to the bank. Millions and millions, for doing nothing. Please don't ask for examples, a simple google or duckduckgo will find all the sad stories.

We, of course are the idiots who pony up for tickets, parking, and the $10+ beer, this, so the prima donnas can live in a style that is simply unthinkable to the average Joe trying to make ends meet. It ain't right, but that's our world.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    It’s the worst idea that could happen for all involved. Hurts wins 4 straight. What do you do with Wentz? $32M and a huge cap hit. Hurts isn’t the answer. Oh we’re sorry Carson you’re our franchise QB. Lmao.

Put Wentz on Ebay for auction.

Start the bidding at $1 with free shipping.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO returns!

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:
    It’s the worst idea that could happen for all involved. Hurts wins 4 straight. What do you do with Wentz? $32M and a huge cap hit. Hurts isn’t the answer. Oh we’re sorry Carson you’re our franchise QB. Lmao.

Goes against eBay policy to sell defective products

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

Goes against eBay policy to sell defective products

😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options

If any Eagles player isn't giving 100% both mentally and physically on the football field, we Eagles fans have got no time for them.

Wentz helped the Eagles win a Super Bowl and i'll always be thankful for that. But afterwards he took the big money and now doesn't seem to be giving 100% out there, and that is unacceptable.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    Wilson's play has tailed off as the season has progressed, but trust me the Hawks have bigger issues than him

I didn’t realize Seattle was ranked that low. Wow

• Options

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

And promise to use EXTRA bubble wrap for protection 👍👍

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

The package would probably be intercepted and never make it to you.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

Valid point! 😂

• Options

We sure have some quick humor here. Funny as heck!

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

Stop it.

;)

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

Valid point! 😂

Don't encourage DD with this...please.

;)

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

Valid point! 😂

Don't encourage DD with this...please.

;)

Sorry 😂😂😂😂😂

• Options

@2dueces said:

Sure would be funnier though if it was about the Cowboys quarterback. :/

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

That one would arrive with tire tracks over the Fragile sticker in a mangled box.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

That one would arrive with tire tracks over the Fragile sticker in a mangled box.

Now see this one was genuinely funny.

:)

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given the fact that a small number fans have been in the stands, this year, salary money will change. Even the TV ratings are down. Some players are killing the goose that laid the golden eggs with their attitudes.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Eagles 17
    Saints 0

But Carson Wentz was great in 2017 so we have stick with him for the next 10 years.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Hurts looks good

• Options
    edited December 13, 2020 4:37PM

Stupid quarterback sneak play on 4th and 1. Everybody on the defense could see what was coming.

That and the missed chip shot field goal at the end of the half was not a good sign.

The Wentz situation reminds me of a six year old car that one of my uncles offered for sale in the early 1960s. Back then six years was old for a car. The main selling point was, “It’s got a new battery in it.”

Opps, the Saints just cut the lead to 3. It was fun while it lasted.

• Options
    edited December 13, 2020 5:03PM

The Eagles were starting to let it slip away, but now they're in scoring position.

• Options

Touchdown Eagles. I think they should stay with Hurts, ride the winning hand. Ride that Jalen Hurts stallion!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eagles win. Just keeps looking worse for Wentz. The guy must be in a real funk tonight. But.......with all that money he's made so far, maybe not.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

unless Hurts gets hurt, the Wentz era is ovah in Philly

• Options

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2020/12/eagles-doug-pederson-still-deciding-if-jalen-hurts-will-get-a-2nd-start.html

<<< Eagles’ Doug Pederson still deciding if Jalen Hurts will get a 2nd start >>>

Is Doug Pederson on drugs?

• Options

@stevek said:
    https://www.nj.com/eagles/2020/12/eagles-doug-pederson-still-deciding-if-jalen-hurts-will-get-a-2nd-start.html

<<< Eagles’ Doug Pederson still deciding if Jalen Hurts will get a 2nd start >>>

Gotta help the stock for Wentz in a trade. Maybe a 6th rounder and a happy meal?

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

No he’s just smart enough to know that most quarterbacks are inconsistent and hurts could be the next Tom Brady or the next Carson Wentz and they could be coach and QB together again - in Philly or elsewhere - so why not leave the door open and show the guy having a tough year a little love and respect? And keep the new guy in check at the same time?

Sounds like a smart coach.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@stevek said:

No he’s just smart enough to know that most quarterbacks are inconsistent and hurts could be the next Tom Brady or the next Carson Wentz and they could be coach and QB together again - in Philly or elsewhere - so why not leave the door open and show the guy having a tough year a little love and respect? And keep the new guy in check at the same time?

Sounds like a smart coach.

The Eagles showed Wentz enough love and respect with that fat contract.

The bottom line at this point is you gotta stay with Hurts until he proves otherwise, then Wentz can return if Hurts underperforms.

• Options

@2dueces said:

@stevek said:

Gotta help the stock for Wentz in a trade. Maybe a 6th rounder and a happy meal?

I can't see another team interested in Wentz because of the big contract and considering his poor play this season.

My take on this is that unless Hurts falls flat on his face in the next game, he should finish out the season as the starter.

Then next season's training camp and pre-season games, see if Wentz has gotten out of his funk.

• Options

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

@stevek said:

I can't see another team interested in Wentz because of the big contract and considering his poor play this season.

My take on this is that unless Hurts falls flat on his face in the next game, he should finish out the season as the starter.

Then next season's training camp and pre-season games, see if Wentz has gotten out of his funk.

I think this is the last year for both in Philly. It's time for a fresh start.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

@stevek said:

I think this is the last year for both in Philly. It's time for a fresh start.

I've stated this before. I noticed a precipitous decline in Doug Pederson's coaching ability after the Eagles won the Super Bowl. Not to regurgitate old posts, but in my view too many times in the seasons after the championship, he seemed to outsmart himself with poor coaching decisions on the football field. Perhaps it's the old syndrome of some people don't handle fame and fortune very well, and perhaps Pederson is one of them?

I realize that other coaches caught up to him with his coaching tendencies, and Pederson tried to mix up the play calling a bit to try to counter that, but Pederson seemed to only windup mixing up the Eagles team in various ways.

Of course as we all know, an underperforming quarterback can make even the best head coach look bad, so that certainly has played a part in the Eagle's decline.

My feeling is both Wentz and Pederson will be back next season, with Wentz being handled as previously stated, and Pederson still given a wide berth to succeed.

In any event, I'm happy about the win over the Saints with Hurts in there. :)

• Options

I would start Hurts and let him do his thing. Ride the winning hand, go with what works, and right now he has provided them with a spark. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to watch my bootleg copy of Terminator 2 starring Sylvester Stallone. It was never released, and I managed to secure a copy from my connections on the streets!

• Options
    edited December 14, 2020 11:47AM

Doug Pederson is just being nice to Carson Wentz by saying he is undecided on who will start. Doug Pederson knows darn good and well who is going to start the next game. He knows darn good and well who's going to start. Doug, you sly dog you.

• Options

Maybe Pedersen should have waited to write his book in his old age instead of after 1 year that is looking more and more like a Philly miracle than a Philly special.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2020 3:50PM

Today I am finally glad the Rams took Goff over Wentz.

Now just 4 little itsy bitsy things bother me.

Goff can't run, and is a horrible deep passer.

Rams should not have given up two first-round picks, two second-round picks and two third-round picks for Goff.

His contract should not be $35M. It should be $3.5M as a backup to Josh Allen.

Other than those minor things, I'm perfectly fine with the choice 4 years ago.

• Options

@hammer1 said:
    Today I am finally glad the Rams took Goff over Wentz.

Now just 4 little itsy bitsy things bother me.

Goff can't run, and is a horrible deep passer.

Rams should not have given up two first-round picks, two second-round picks and two third-round picks for Goff.

His contract should not be $35M. It should be $3.5M.

Other than those minor things, I'm perfectly fine with the choice 4 years ago.

Rams and Eagles found out too late what they have. The Jets and the Bears found out in time. The decisions will come in Cleveland and Baltimore.
    When Josh Allen’s contract comes up Buffalo should do exactly what KC did with Mahomes. $400M for 10 years ( Mahomes got $500M)

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@perkdog said:
    Hurts looks good

Defenses usually struggle against running QBs with no pro tape.

• Options

Eagles, from "insiders" I have heard, plan to "re-make" Wentz and keep him. For his sake, I wish he ended up elsewhere.

• Options

Maybe Wentz will be the Eagles’ Dustin Pedroia. Given his salary, who wants him? He’s mediocre at best and eats up all of your salary cap money.

• Options

Hurts is playing much better than I thought. I can’t see Wentz taking the job back anytime soon

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Hurts is playing much better than I thought. I can’t see Wentz taking the job back anytime soon

As I wrote before, the Eagles are saying internally that they want to "remake" him. But even if they had other plans, no reason to tip their hand. Big cost to cut or trade him. But they could creatively trade him, eat cost I guess. I'm sure there are detailed break downs out there. Big question is injury issues for me. He really does (did?) have the tools, imo. But he needs a fresh start. I could see them re-tooling him , playing him pre-season maybe, giving him a new resume. Who knows. Like I said, it's the statue.

• Options

Oh my, in this video Max Kellerman rips into Carson Wentz for "pouting" about being replaced by Jalen Hurts. He call Wentz, a bad teammate.

• Options

Max Kellerman ANNOYS me!! But he isn’t wrong this time 🤷‍♂️

• Options

Everyone is Gaga over Hurts. That’s all well and good. But what do you do with Wentz? He’s a $35M liability. I don’t remember all the #’s but I know Philly is stuck for the lions share of $150M?? The way he played no team is going to trade for him and take $12-&15M of his contract. No way. What do you get for him? 6th round? Let’s face the facts. Either Philly dumps him and suffers for 3-4 years of dead cap or he’s their starter. Tell me the viable options please.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    Everyone is Gaga over Hurts. That’s all well and good. But what do you do with Wentz? He’s a $35M liability. I don’t remember all the #’s but I know Philly is stuck for the lions share of $150M?? The way he played no team is going to trade for him and take $12-&15M of his contract. No way. What do you get for him? 6th round? Let’s face the facts. Either Philly dumps him and suffers for 3-4 years of dead cap or he’s their starter. Tell me the viable options please.

Showcase Hirts the next two weeks. Trade HIM in the off-season. Do one more go round with Wentz.

Cap hit hurts less with another year and you come in fresh next year with a guy who knows what’s on the line this time and has a full offseason and a healthy start in 2021.

That seems to be the way forward and if you drafted Wentz and Hurts you gotta feel like there’s another one every year.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest