Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

--- 2020 Palladium 1 oz $25 American Eagle ---

Comments

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

The risk / reward ratio on this one was way too high to flip. The 75th anniversary WWII gold is going to be very high risk / high reward. I'd be very wary of scams on that issue (i.e. sent a regular GAE instead, empty box, etc).

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

The number of posts to this thread certainly jumped in the 6 hours since release. Thankyou for all the thoughts and opinions you've expressed. The education provided is priceless.

• Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

I stopped looking at the spot prices for a while. What happened that made Pd surpass Pt? Pt was always sought for catalytic converters. And mining for Pt produced Pd as a by-product so there was always excess Pd.

Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭

I'm worried about getting shutout on the upcoming Gold V75 with only 1,945 > @3stars said:

The risk / reward ratio on this one was way too high to flip. The 75th anniversary WWII gold is going to be very high risk / high reward. I'd be very wary of scams on that issue (i.e. sent a regular GAE instead, empty box, etc).

I think the risk is much lower for the V75 WWII Gold coin. With only 1,945 minted, it should go to Unavailable in under 2 minutes. I want one for my collection -- no intention of flipping it.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2020 6:37AM

@badger said:
    I stopped looking at the spot prices for a while. What happened that made Pd surpass Pt? Pt was always sought for catalytic converters. And mining for Pt produced Pd as a by-product so there was always excess Pd.

cars are now using Pd

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2020 3:59PM

@DotStore said:
    I'm worried about getting shutout on the upcoming Gold V75 with only 1,945 > @3stars said:

I think the risk is much lower for the V75 WWII Gold coin. With only 1,945 minted, it should go to Unavailable in under 2 minutes. I want one for my collection -- no intention of flipping it.

not even 2 minutes.

"immediately" in the sense that if anyone that can
    1: get a red button
    2: fight to the basket
    3: get through payment without it going OOS
    4: actually get it to process to an order page without it going OOS through multiple submission attempts

will get one.

the sell out will take less than 1 minute as almost everyone will hit the payment part then have it go OOS.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@DotStore said:

The risk is based on cost versus issue price, not availability. When there is probably a 200% gain off the top, the scammers will be out in force. Assuming you win the lottery that day and get one.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DotStore said:

With only 1,945 minted, it should go to Unavailable in under 2 minutes.

@MsMorrisine said:

not even 2 minutes.

the sell out will take less than 1 minute as almost everyone will hit the payment part then have it go OOS.

With only 1945 minted, these will be next to impossible to get. Incredibly high demand will freeze your computer like the Ice Age, you will experience the statement: "SOMETHING WENT WRONG" and refreshing is certain death. Many have described this as winning a lottery. Window of opportunity is less than 30 seconds. Just sayin'.

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, the WW2 gold will be a DEFINITE winner. All trying for that one!!! Lol

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2020 5:26PM

The odds of obtaining a privy marked AGE is slim, as dealers and collectors already have their networks in place, it's already sold out. When will the offers to buy surface, 2 weeks out? What will be the offers, $5k for a confirmed offer? $10k?

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2020 7:19PM

Wow, a bit of an uneventful event. I thought it would become unavailable faster and the Pd thrill would garner more excitement. The excitement so far seems to be over making ninety dollars for a whole bunch of effort, time, trust and potential anxiety.
    I couldn’t do it. I just couldn’t convince myself. I tried to get my heart rate up and I was hoping my pulse would quicken, but I just plain flatlined. Even the Peleton didn’t help.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jclovescoins said:
    Cost of shipping, risk of losing it in the mail as Mitch explained...I understand how it works, just don’t think this one was worth it for the outlay

Cost of shipping is $5 or so to ship a big old first class box with this inside it.

The risk of losing it is negligible. I ship 500-600 packages a year, for the past 5 years. Not one has gone missing.

I will play those odds all day. What else would you have done with a 5 figure balance in your savings account?

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

I don’t wake up for anything less than a 50% profit. Risking getting scammed or losing a $3k coin for a 3% profit isn’t worth it.

• Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

Don’t lose one In the mail or you’ll be caught in a long term agonizing process to recover $$ from USPS claims.
    I have a claim for a total loss for damage to a collectible for $300 going in for 4 months now. Denied once and appealed; all forms filed and damaged item surrendered to the USPS with a receipt—online sale record and payment processor proof. Apparently still not good enough to pay Out on “purchased insurance” from the USPS.
    What a bunch of knuckleheads.

• Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2020 5:13AM

Massive markup kept me away from this one. Missed 2017, flipped 2018 for a small profit, skipped 2019... at this price the only way I would get sucked into the 2020 is if I had all the others and needed to complete the set. I am sitting out on this entire series until I can get one for melt.

Edit: Or less. What do dealers pay for palladium bullion? 20-30% under spot?

• Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭✭

They show available

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

200 or so on Ebay... :#

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love these coins, but dang, that's a ton of money. I passed, and am not looking back.

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

HHL has been Lifted and Currently over 99 Available.

That tells you how many Flippers Cancelled…

• Options
    foraiurforaiur Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

The Mint needs to get rid of returns. Anything with a HHL should be final sale only.

• Options

@foraiur said:
    The Mint needs to get rid of returns. Anything with a HHL should be final sale only.

What if it has a huge scratch on it?

• Options

Since they lifted the HH Limit, they are moving in batches. Should be able to use the "99 Trick" in the next half hour or so...

• Options

The good thing about the limit being lifted is that I would imagine the big buyers can get them cheaper which can hopefully be passed down to me for that rare 69!
    Seems to of worked like that with the last issue.

• Options

actually, going to be sooner than that...

• Options

83 remaining using the "99 Trick"

• Options

One just sold on ebay for $2965

• Options

Currently Unavailable

• Options

gone.... until about 2 weeks from now when the returns hit the mint

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

7:30 to 12:50 and they removed the HHL.

how long tomorrow does it stay on sale? me- 2 hours

how many unsold items will there be on ebay thursday night? me- 170

• Options

As I had stated earlier in several posts, I do not see this as a good flip. But I do collect them, and this one is headed to our hosts to keep. No desire at all to get another at this high margin price, but I did not want to pay $4,000+ for a 70 either.

It looks good, but some chatter on the inside edge of the rim edges which I think is because palladium is a bit brittle vs say gold. Will that prevent a 70? It is not from hits, it is just the metal edge is not smooth?

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    They look like this in hand:

how are the rims on the reverse. do I see some "disturbances" from 11:00 to 1:00 ?

• Options

Thank you for first 2020 pics!
    Resembles my 2017 Pd Eagle.
    And yes they typically had hits on the rims, even at 70 grades.
    I sent one back to MCM for an exchange.

• Options
    edited September 25, 2020 10:17AM

@Goldminers said:
    Will that prevent a 70? It is not from hits, it is just the metal edge is not smooth?

1. that's a matter of argument between different groups of people, including those that don't believe in 70's
    2. I've seen 70's with worse rim "disturbances." They do not look like contact marks like I've seen on pucks. You know, sometimes features are not fully struck. I've seen fantastic proof AGEs where a couple of lower left stars weren't struck up. these pull 70's. If not being fully struck is a grade degradation, then a lot of coins (peace, buffs, no steps, no bands, not fbl) would be known for 1 less of a grade
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2020 11:38AM

@Onastone said:

@DotStore said:

With only 1,945 minted, it should go to Unavailable in under 2 minutes.

@MsMorrisine said:

not even 2 minutes.

With only 1945 minted, these will be next to impossible to get. Incredibly high demand will freeze your computer like the Ice Age, you will experience the statement: "SOMETHING WENT WRONG" and refreshing is certain death. Many have described this as winning a lottery. Window of opportunity is less than 30 seconds. Just sayin'.

I am ticipate a great deal of disappointment and frustration with these and I'm sure I will be one of those that is disappointed and frustrated.

I would imagine that bots are going to make it impossible for most people to get.

I can see these at 10000 very easily within minutes of 1st being offered.

I'm guessing pay pal will not be an option for this one either.

Gonna suck.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm just not a long term believer in Palladium. However far in the future it stops being used in autos, I think bullion value drops back to the $3-500 range. Even if that takes 10-20 years, I don't want that bullet.

MAYBE collectible value will hold them up, but you can take that bet, not me.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2020 12:54PM

Technically, these are very pricy devils to grade, as there is a regular price cutoff of $2,500. Since these cost $3,000, they go express for $65, plus $18 for FS. So, after $28 shipping, $10 handling, and initial shipping and ins. $30+, these actually cost a person (not bulk type submitters) around $150 to grade!! >:)

• Options

UffDa

• Options
    edited September 25, 2020 2:13PM
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2020 4:33AM

At least 99 available.

• Options

Good to hear. I hope the dealers scoop them up.

• Options

• Options

• Options

gone

it took longer to sellout of the cancellations today than from yesterday

• Options

44 Sunday am

• Options

99 now which would cost me $297 thousand.
    Gotta start working overtime.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Completely forgot about this release, stupid me, guess I'll have to deal with the secondary market. I have to get one, seeing that I have the 3 previous.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2020 4:32AM

26 Monday am

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file