Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

@barberkeys Vern, thanks for the great pics of Dave's '01-O PC45 CAC. Forgot to acknowledge that earlier!

• Tim

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    SrotagSrotag Posts: 23 ✭✭

Ah Lenny, you sneaky devil. You really ARE trying to corner the 07-S Barber 25c market. He has agreed to buy my AU-55CAC whenever I have time to get to the SDB. Only 2 CAC coins in 55 with 10 or so (I think) better in all grades including MS. I sold my 66CAC pedigree to Friend at Great Collections in March, but haven't seen it pop up yet--anyone here buy it?

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

Xx> @sedulous said:

Here is a tough date, the 1901-O quarter.
    Any of you have nice XF / AU?

PCGS VF20...

• T

Good lord I don’t think I’ve ever seen a full 20 grade point swing on an obv/rev before! And if I’m being bold, I could see 25 points. Either a 15/40 or a 20/45 isn’t out of the question in fantasy land.
    That’s actually fun to see.
    Nice run of 01o quarters. I used to own one of those posted.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dave, That 07-S has been on our radar since you got it from Harry. He held it back from a large group of quarters that he offered to Vern several years back. I'm not even sure we got to see photos. Anyway, I guess it was promised to you because I'm not really sure why he held it back. So I'm anxiously waiting to get that coin in hand and see how it measures up! There are 6 in 55 and 9 in 58, but plenty of mint state examples. I'm hoping the 55 CAC will beat most of the 58s out there. Your 66 was a beauty!

Jed- I like your taste in coins. The grade doesn't matter as much as the eye appeal to me.

Lenny

More coins, less government.
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@paesan Thanks for your opinion. I always welcome feedback and when considering the source I decide how much weight to give that feedback, and yours is heavy!

• Options

@paesan said:
    Dave, That 07-S has been on our radar since you got it from Harry... There are 6 in 55 and 9 in 58, but plenty of mint state examples. I'm hoping the 55 CAC will beat most of the 58s out there.
    Lenny

Will we be able to see pictures of this elusive AU55 when the time comes? fascinating!

• Tim

• Options

Another date I like from Srotag's collection. PC-53 CAC.
    (Photos courtesy Barberkeys)

• Options
    edited June 24, 2020 7:10PM

The '00-O... another challenging date to find nice. A great looking coin with remaining luster in that AU53. Very nice Srotag coin Len, and thank you Vern for the pictures!

Here is the Sedulous coin with two different lighting effects. The one in holder is closer to natural color. The black and whites bring out the details a bit. ex-JT out of Virginia purchased in 2014.

John said this about the coin back then ... A very highly sought after R4 specimen that is difficult to obtain in mid-level circulated grades. "This 1900 O Barber quarter is certified by PCGS and graded XF-40. Nice olive coloring on both sides with excellent luster remaining for the grade serving to highlight very nice XF level detail on both sides as the pictures will hopefully convey." ...

• Tim

• Options

Very nice examples Lenny (reverse of '99) & Tim (reverse of '01)! As usual here's mine ( reverse of '01) with a few more miles on it:

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 1900 O came out of an ANACS AU58 holder, previously owned by @paesan :smile:

It was cracked out and submitted raw. I was expecting an AU55 grade, but it returned in an AU53 holder:

The clash marks are rather pronounced- I haven't seen another example with them. The die may have had a short life after the clash. I've wondered if PCGS dropped the coin a grade because of them?

The photos for this coin come from 4 years ago; I'm embarrassed by these shots I'm going to take new photos and repost to redeem my photography skills. It takes a lot of experimentation and time to accurately photograph and portray a coin.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

Jeff, I remember that clashed dies coin. Pretty cool! Sorry it didn't cross to a 55, but I've seen PCGS downgrade several from 58 to 53.
    Here's another that I found in my photo library, but I don't know who I sold it to. It came from Glenn H in 2014.

• Options
    edited June 26, 2020 6:20PM

I had a chance to re-shoot my 1900 O Quarter this evening:

Sorry for the intrusion. I had a need to redeem my photography skills. This is more representative of the true luster on the coin.

• Options

Jeff, When you submitted that 00-O to PCGS, did you request a "Clashed Dies" designation? Just curious. I like the old ANACS holders. Did you save the insert? Also wanted to say that I'm very impressed with your photography!

Shifting gears, here's a nice raw dime that I just got from a buddy that I wish was a quarter!

• Options

@paesan- I wasn't aware you could ask PCGS to type stuff on the label, so I guess the answer is no. I'm sure I don't have the ANACS insert either. But I had the photo!

Nice looking '07 S Dime- tough date!

• Options
    edited June 27, 2020 5:44PM

Here is the Sedulous example. Out of a one-sided opening blue Whitman folder where the reverse tones a bit towards a blacker color and the front can sometimes get some wild rim colorful toning. This one does have gold-ish rim color on the obverse but it doesn't show hardly at all in the picture for this specimen.
    This one is raw and not yet submitted. Are there S/S mintmarks? if so, there are not any PCGS-#s recognized.

• T

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jedm said:
    Nice coins! Of course the ones I collect are of the more "been there done that" kinda well traveled condition... here's my 01 O:

Best one of the bunch. Nice color!

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

@Barberian said:

@jedm said:
    Nice coins! Of course the ones I collect are of the more "been there done that" kinda well traveled condition... here's my 01 O:

Best one of the bunch. Nice color!

How about this one for a 1901-O Barber Quarter. This is also a more circulated version - in NGC F12. I don't pull this one out of the stash as much, maybe I should a little bit more per @Barberian!

• Tim

• Options

• Options

@Barberian said:

A little bit tougher date in a really tough grade. Nice job getting one of those @Barberian. Is the reverse equal or similar in tone to the obverse?

• T

• Options

@Barberian I have been struggling to find a decent XF '03-O. This PC30 1903-O Barber Quarter is the best I have been able to accomplish to date.

• T

• Options

After an '01-O and '03-O, how about I reveal a VF25 CAC '05-O I am parting with due to upgrading... I will go get the PC45 with Green CAC sticker image a little later.

• T

• Options

I'm curious to see the replacement Tim. Here's my '03 O raw in the Dansco...Fine or F15 I think:

• Options
    edited June 27, 2020 9:55PM

@jedm Here is the 1905-O Barber Quarter in PCGS XF45 with Green CAC sticker being added to the Sedulous collection of quality XF BQ's. @barberkeys Vern took the pictures and deserves some great credit there. @paesan helped with the connection to @Srotag to obtain this one as one of his better beauties IMHO.

Thanks so much for the help Lenny... and thank you Dave for not only the coin but the friendship. As Vern says, "what a great hobby!"

• Tim

• Options
    edited June 27, 2020 9:56PM

@jedm said:
    I'm curious to see the replacement Tim. Here's my '03 O raw in the Dansco...Fine or F15 I think:

Thanks for sharing that almost perfect-looking '03-O in Fine. I have one as well... IMO Jed, almost can be a twin to yours!

• Tim

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

E> @sedulous said:

@jedm Here is the 1905-O Barber Quarter in PCGS XF45 with Green CAC sticker being added to the Sedulous collection of quality XF BQ's. @barberkeys Vern took the pictures and deserves some great credit there. @paesan helped with the connection to @Srotag to obtain this one as one of his better beauties IMHO.

Thanks so much for the help Lenny... and thank you Dave for not only the coin but the friendship. As Vern says, "what a great hobby!"

• Tim

That’s a beautiful coin. Lenny is the man. Congratulations

• Options

Nice coins, all!

• Options

@sedulous said:
    @Barberian I have been struggling to find a decent XF '03-O. This PC30 1903-O Barber Quarter is the best I have been able to accomplish to date.

• T

Brian Greer has a nice AU53 1903-O on his website. PCGS coin
    Good luck
    Brian Greer is a fantastic dealer btw

• Options

@No Headlights said:

@sedulous said:

• T

Brian Greer has a nice AU53 1903-O on his website. PCGS coin
    Good luck
    Brian Greer is a fantastic dealer btw

@No Headlights thanks but the difficulty is in finding quality XF for me Jim.

• Options

I will keep a watch out. I found a nice VF with my metal detector once. That was a good day
    Good luck

• Options

Here is another newp via Lenny from Milo. A 1908-D BQ in PC45. Thanks once again to Vern for the pictures!:

• Options

I love that 1903-O quarter in VF-30 up above! Very choice and would look great in a Dansco.
    Here's another from The Swede that I'd love in my album. PCGS VF-35.

• Options
    edited June 28, 2020 7:55PM

@paesan said:
    I love that 1903-O quarter in VF-30 up above! Very choice and would look great in a Dansco.

After purchasing in July 2018, I submitted it raw and it made the PCGS VF30 grade.

Here's another from The Swede that I'd love in my album. PCGS VF-35.

That '11-S is very wholesome Lenny!

Here are my PCGS XF40 (purchased in-holder ex-JT Feb 2014) and F15 (March 2012 from DLRC) specimens...

• Options

I was studying the 1907-S Barber Quarter in XF40 and XF45 grades. I wanted to know why its pop was so low. Considering a few of these may be crack-out re-submissions, I saw that the '07-S is ranked 10th in lowest populations. Look at this Top 10 list and you will see that there are a few more even smaller in pop.

• Options

@BryceM said:
    Pardon the intrusion Barber Fanatics, but here's a coin I picked up this week. It represents an upgrade for my 20th Century type set, but it's a little bittersweet. The coin it "replaces" is an ex Dale Friend beauty. This one enticed me for quite a while and I finally pulled the trigger:

Really sweet!!

• Options

Here's my '03 O Quarter. I purchased it raw about 4 years ago:

• Options

Another Swede selection which is totally under-rated. PC-53.
    9photos courtesy Barberkeys)

• Options

@sedulous said:

@Barberian said:

>
    A little bit tougher date in a really tough grade. Nice job getting one of those @Barberian. Is the reverse equal or similar in tone to the obverse?

• T

I have scans of only this one Barber half. It's a "barnacle". I have others that need to be scanned or photographed sometime so I can share them here.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's my '03 O Quarter. I purchased it raw about 4 years ago:

Wow Jeff!

• Options
    edited June 29, 2020 8:07PM

@paesan said:
    Another Swede selection which is totally under-rated. PC-53.
    9photos courtesy Barberkeys)

1909-S Barber Quarter... what a Swede (I mean "Sweet") coin! That's got the look for sure! that color is just about close to perfect.

I took a fancy to @JeffMTampa Jeff's '09-S in PCGS XF45 and we worked out a purchasing arrangement.

• Tim

• Options
    edited June 29, 2020 8:26PM

How about another newp. The 1909-P Philadelphia cousin to the San Francisco west coast version in PC40.

This is another x-Swede coin via Lenny transacted here recently. Thank you Vern for the photos.

• T

• Options

Those are very attractive ones guys! A person can really see how the luster diminishes as we go from 53 to 45 and so on. Here's my 09S (35):

• Options

Question:

We're all familiar with the 1892 O Micro O where the Quarter MM was inadvertently punched into the Half Dollar. Has anyone heard of a Half Dollar MM being inadvertently punched on a Quarter die?

• Options
    edited June 30, 2020 7:19PM

@JeffMTampa said:
    Question:

We're all familiar with the 1892 O Micro O where the Quarter MM was inadvertently punched into the Half Dollar. Has anyone heard of a Half Dollar MM being inadvertently punched on a Quarter die?

No, do you have evidence to the contrary? if so, the quarter-sized mintmark barely fits in the small space below the eagle tailfeathers above the R as it is. Wouldn't the half dollar mintmark size be so large it wouldn't fit in that opening?

• T

• Options

How about another newp? Another 1909 cousin but this one closer to the Rockies... the 1909-D Barber Quarter in PC45 from Swede, @paesan and leveraging @barberkeys picture taking to give you this image shot. A humble "thank you" expressed here!

• Tim

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2020 9:03PM

Back in the 2013-2015 realm, it was my understanding that this coin was viewed as a new discovery to everyone that I showed it to, including lots of people at FUN. Anyway, is this still a discovery or have a million others been found? And...what should I do with it? In the past, I heard that I should send it to James W. Anyway, what is the best route and what should I do with it? I cherrypicked it at a small ~20 table show that was local to me in Florida back in 2013 when I was looking for a random selection of varieties. I bought it and figured I would just look it up later. Yes, it is raw and these are my photos. I would prefer to get it into a PCGS Discovery Holder if I can. Thanks.

The Best High Grade Mercury Dime Toners For Sale! + 2 Varieties - Ends July 7th! :smile:
    https://greatcollections.com/Collections/1120/The-Keyman64-Mercury-Dime-Collection/2024-07-07
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad Dimeman isn't here to respond.

@keyman64 said:
    Back in the 2013-2015 realm, it was my understanding that this coin was viewed as a new discovery to everyone that I showed it to, including lots of people at FUN. Anyway, is this still a discovery or have a million others been found? And...what should I do with it? In the past, I heard that I should send it to James W. Anyway, what is the best route and what should I do with it? I cherrypicked it at a small ~20 table show that was local to me in Florida back in 2013 when I was looking for a random selection of varieties. I bought it and figured I would just look it up later. Yes, it is raw and these are my photos. I would prefer to get it into a PCGS Discovery Holder if I can. Thanks.

• Options

My experience is that the Barber Dime series is littered with RPD, RPM, and lost date varieties. The BCCS hasn't started a Dime Variety Survey to see what's out there, so information is somewhat limited. The best resource on Dime varieties is Kevin Flynn's book. I have a copy, but it's at home and I'm at the office so I can't look up the posted '97 RPD to see if it's listed.

I've found about a dozen "unlisted" Barber Dime varieties, but since there's no place to "list" them there may be a dozen people out there with the same variety thinking they've discovered something new. I've been hoping BCCS could take on the role of becoming the "Clearing House" for Barber variety attribution, documentation, and photography. I've pitched the Board a couple of times, but I suspect they see it as too much work. I'm sure it would be.

There are few varieties in the Half series, many more in the Quarter series, and a lot in the Dime series. My guess is that there were mishaps of equal proportion in all 3 series as dies were being prepared, but the larger the die the easier it was to spot the problem before it went into production.

• Options

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:
    Question:

No, do you have evidence to the contrary? if so, the quarter-sized mintmark barely fits in the small space below the eagle tailfeathers above the R as it is. Wouldn't the half dollar mintmark size be so large it wouldn't fit in that opening?

• T

I don't own or have any knowledge that such a coin exists, but I do think it's possible. Here are the 2 MM on the 1892 O Half:

The Half MM is noticeably larger, but in reality it's not that much larger (by dimension). I'm fairly confident the Half MM would fit on a Quarter. With all the screwy MM placements in the early years I have to believe someone screwed up and used the wrong punch, but it likely would have looked so awkward that it was caught prior to going into production. I'm keeping my eyes peeled just in case there are examples out there.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2020 8:18AM

Thanks @amwldcoin and @JeffMTampa
    Dimeman is alive and well. He can be reached over on CoinTalk.com under the same username if you ever want to reach out to him. In regards to this 1897 RPD that I posted, Dimeman has seen the coin in hand, back in 2014 or 2015. I just emailed him this morning to see if he thinks it would still be considered a discovery today. I'd like to get it into a Discovery Holder, preferably by our host if at all possible but if I have to go another route possibly via ANACS then I can do that as well. I could maybe reach out to Kevin Flynn...I think I used to know how to do that, hmm, I might have to figure that out again. I'll post here if I figure anything out.

Edit: Dimeman said that Dr Wiles will do RPMs for the Barber dimes but not RPDs. Hmm

EDIT #2: I received an email back from Kevin Flynn and he has never seen this before and simply described it as RPD 1 North 7 South. He recommended I reach out to a certain grading service. That way they can research it further maybe and then put "Discovery Coin" on the holder. I will call them before sending it to see if they have any additional guidance. Monetarily, it isn't worth the effort but I still think it would be cool to get my very own Discovery Coin holder. This certainly isn't any 1795 Half Dollar or 1919 DDO Merc. ;)

EDIT #3: The grading company said they need documentation from Wexler or Wiles in order to place Discovery Coin on a holder. Dimeman said that Wiles won't do RPDs...I will try to email Wexler and Wiles to see what they say.

The Best High Grade Mercury Dime Toners For Sale! + 2 Varieties - Ends July 7th! :smile:
    https://greatcollections.com/Collections/1120/The-Keyman64-Mercury-Dime-Collection/2024-07-07

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file