Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

My YN friend was excited to show me his Barber dimes in AU55 over the weekend.
    Keep the hobby strong!

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• SrotagSrotag Posts: 23 ✭✭

Tim, the 07-S is in Lenny's hands--it's up to him for pics.
    For those of you that collect raw Barbers, Lenny also has my Danscos of 50c/25c/10c and Lib 5c. I put them together from estate sales offered to me by clients--so as with most raw collections (not upgraded by individual purchases), many of the key dates are missing and those available have some "hair" on them; alternatively, there are some nice VF/XF common dates. If interested (@erwindoc), contact Lenny.

@Srotag said:
    Tim, the 07-S is in Lenny's hands--it's up to him for pics.
    ... contact Lenny.

Dave, I already have an understanding on the direction of your '07-S in 55. It is spoken for. Thanks for the heads-up. I think you know what I am trying to acquire... appreciate the opportunities you have provided me so far.

Grateful! Tim

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does that pass the Verne test and if so did you try to buy it? :p

@barberkeys said:
    Pics for this PM, a beauty that passed through for new pics, PC50:

edited July 30, 2020 6:13PM

To bump the thread, here is a recent report on the price value movement of Barber Half Dollars:

What's with the Everyman 1904-O? any insight on the upward price value movement?

• JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting that, Tim. There's a very easy way to identify +/- trends on the price of Barbers- look at my Registry sets. If I own the coin it's going down in value. If I don't own it the price is increasing.

At least that's how things work out when I buy/ sell.

I love them Barber Halves.....
    edited July 31, 2020 11:06PM

@JeffMTampa said:
    Thanks for posting that, Tim... If I don't own it the price is increasing.

At least that's how things work out when I buy/ sell.

I noticed in the Registry you have the '04-O Half in AU58 grade. So the value is going up and you do have it! along with being in the Top 5. Congratulations. Probably a drip in the bucket but positive none-the-less.

• T

Too many words- we need a coin photo!

Although Jon (Dimeman) can no longer post, my guess is he still views. Here's a Dime in your honor, Jon- an 1892 in a PC MS63 holder:

Reminiscing... I am still on the hunt for an XF 1907-S. Let me know if you find or have one. I missed out in StacksBowers March 2017 on a nice XF40. Probably would have bid stronger if I knew then what I knew now. - Tim

From November 2016...

@sedulous said:
    Liking these '07-S quarters. I have been trying to catch-up on previous threads and came across this previous one from Vern:

@barberkeys said in April 2015:
    ... from Doug's stellar barber quarter collection ... PC53:

• T

• TunisTunis Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭

It was suggested that I put this query in this thread. Can someone help me? I also put it in the Wanted section.

Barber Quarter, PCGS

Would like to spend about $100 to fill the hole. Looking for the highest grade for that amount. Can go a little bit higher if needed. Date and mint not important. Please let me know if you can help.
    Thank you
    Paul

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

@Tunis said:
    It was suggested that I put this query in this thread. Can someone help me? I also put it in the Wanted section.

Barber Quarter, PCGS

Would like to spend about $100 to fill the hole. Looking for the highest grade for that amount. Can go a little bit higher if needed. Date and mint not important. Please let me know if you can help.
    Thank you
    Paul

Paul, not clear if there is a specific date and mintmark needed. 20th Century set? then 1900 on. Earlier back to 1892 desired? What kind of set are you trying to fill... Type set? Also, does it have to be third-party graded? or raw like for filling a Dansco album. More info please. Tim

• TunisTunis Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭

Tim,
    That’s what I get for trying to cut and paste, lol.
    I do not own a Barber quarter of any kind. I would like to spend approximately $100 for a PCGS graded coin to add to my Dansco 7070 set. The date, mintmark, and grade is not important except for the fact that I want the grade to be as high as possible for the money spent. I hope this clarifies my goal.
    Paul

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

Paul- the Board rules don't allow us to offer coins for sale on this thread, but if you look at the Buy, Sell, Trade thread you might find something that meets your needs.

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

My fault. I’m the one that suggest he try the Barber thread to fill his needs. I thought someone could just pm him from here without causing any trouble. Sorry.
    Paul, if you need s half just pm me
    Good luck

• jedmjedm Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2020 9:47AM

@Tunis This is where you will definitely be able to connect with someone to help you find what you're looking for. I have coins of lower grades than you are most likely NOT looking for to include in your type set. What can I say except that I'm drawn to the more circulated examples, with XF 40 being the highest that I collect. As an example here's one that's in the process of joining my collection soon, thanks to @paesan :smile:

I'll give ya a hundred bucks for that! :#

@jedm said:
    @Tunis This is where you will definitely be able to connect with someone to help you find what you're looking for. I have coins of lower grades than you are most likely looking for to include in your type set. What can I say except that I'm drawn to the more circulated examples, with XF 40 being the highest that I collect. As an example here's one that's in the process of joining my collection soon, thanks to @paesan :smile:

Hey now.... like Jeff said if you wanna buy go somewhere else.

@amwldcoin now I see my mistake I was missing one word (NOT) in my original post I edited it to fix for the correct meaning.

@jedm said:
    ... that's in the process of joining my collection soon, thanks to @paesan :smile:

Beautiful coin Jed. @paesan knows how to locate great coins.

• Tim

Lenny has a stash of nice stuff. Paesan is a great source for nice Barbers.

I'm in process of completing the hub varieties for the 1900 Quarters. Here's a raw 1900 S I picked up last week with the Type II OBV and the Type III Rev:

It looks like a XF45 to me.

• paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry but I've been busy last two weeks, including a road trip to Tennessee where I stayed at the No Headlights Hotel! Thanks, Jim!

Lots of nice coins posted in all grades. Never underestimate a quality collection of VG-VF coins! I'd still rather collect quality low grade coins than marginal mid-high grade stuff.

Now, one of my favorite dates. This colorful beauty looks amazing in hand. I got it off Teletrade in a 55 holder. Now it's a 58 CAC.

More coins, less government.

Agreed that's a tough date. Nice example!

@paesan said:
    Sorry but I've been busy last two weeks, including a road trip to Tennessee where I stayed at the No Headlights Hotel! Thanks, Jim!

Lots of nice coins posted in all grades. Never underestimate a quality collection of VG-VF coins! I'd still rather collect quality low grade coins than marginal mid-high grade stuff.

Now, one of my favorite dates. This colorful beauty looks amazing in hand. I got it off Teletrade in a 55 holder. Now it's a 58 CAC.

Wild looking! cool

edited August 4, 2020 2:44PM

I figure you guys have seen this poll I posted. To be quite frank. It has me rethinking even trying for 58+'s anymore. Yes, I'm disgusted with PCGS at the moment.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1041634/hypothetical-these-2-coins-grade-the-same-and-are-priced-the-same-which-would-you-choose#latest

And for @No Headlights When I purchased my coin from the dealer who made it...he offered to send it to CAC for me. I passed!

E> @amwldcoin said:

I figure you guys have seen this poll I posted. To be quite frank. It has me rethinking even trying for 58+'s anymore. Yes, I'm disgusted with PCGS at the moment.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1041634/hypothetical-these-2-coins-grade-the-same-and-are-priced-the-same-which-would-you-choose#latest

And for @No Headlights When I purchased my coin from the dealer who made it...he offered to send it to CAC for me. I passed!

When you ask for an opinion on a coin you will get a lot of different answers. The look I enjoy may not be yours. Many of your halves are just what I enjoy. Those two are not. Doesn’t mean they aren’t great, just not for me. Not understanding the CAC comment, sorry.

edited August 4, 2020 6:47PM

LOL! I know we don't have the same tastes and that's what makes the world go round! I looked and thought it was you who asked if either were CAC! My Bad!

@No Headlights said:
    E> @amwldcoin said:

When you ask for an opinion on a coin you will get a lot of different answers. The look I enjoy may not be yours. Many of your halves are just what I enjoy. Those two are not. Doesn’t mean they aren’t great, just not for me. Not understanding the CAC comment, sorry.

• barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darrell - Yes, the 01-S in 50 passed the Vern test when I first saw it in 2013. It helped that it was an 01-S.

Pics for this PM, Walt K advised that he made this coin, and asked if I would post it here:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

@barberkeys said:
    Pics for this PM, Walt K advised that he made this coin, and asked if I would post it here:

Walt has great workmanship! Did he make it on a lathe, or does he have his own press?

@amwldcoin said:
    LOL! I know we don't have the same tastes and that's what makes the world go round! I looked and thought it was you who asked if either were CAC! My Bad!

@No Headlights said:
    E> @amwldcoin said:

No worries. Hopefully we can see each other at a show soon.

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here' a new raw pickup, a 1893 O Quarter:

I liked the look of it. My guess is it's AU55 material. The main reason I purchased it is it's the EXACT pair of dies that struck my MS63:

The newp has the same die clash on the obverse (including shield lines in the ear) and the same small die cracks on the reverse. Kind of interesting to find a soulmate for the 63!

I couldn't help myself; I did it again. I saw another nice looking 1893 O Quarter with the die clash in an eBay Auction. It was the same die pairing as the two listed above. I ended up with the coin; it arrived in the mail today:

This one looks like AU55 material to me. Eventually our hosts will have the opportunity to render their opinion.

• paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

New arrival that might end up in my raw album. NGC-25

More coins, less government.

A new arrival for my 1900 Barber Quarter Hub variety set, a 1900 S in a NGC AU55 holder:

This is the Type II Obverse paired with the Type III Reverse- from what I'm observing the most common.

It looks good for the grade to me. Since PCGS (and NGC, for that matter) don't acknowledge Barber Quarter Hub varieties I'll likely just leave the coin in it's current holder. The problem with that thought, however, is finding a box that will hold both NGC and current PCGS holders. Ugh!

It sure would be nice if the holder identified the Hub Varieties so I didn't need to create my own homemade stuff.

edited August 9, 2020 12:55AM

From June 27th..

@paesan said:

... Shifting gears, here's a nice raw dime that I just got from a buddy that I wish was a quarter!
    (Photos courtesy Barberkeys)

Still keeping a lookout for that S/S in the '07-S dime. Will examine this NEWP in hand more closely about the 12th depending on shaky USPS deliveries as of late. The sellers pics don't bring out the possibility clearly. Unlikely here as they look like appropriately placed scratches and lighting:

• T

edited August 9, 2020 4:17AM

Looks like it could be an S/S!

Here's my '07 S Dime:

It has a RPM, but not the same one visible on @sedulous coin:

Or is it just a case of shelf doubling (most likely)?

edited August 9, 2020 9:33AM

@JeffMTampa said:

Here's my '07 S Dime:

doubling on the ribbon too... probably not recognizable as a RPM unfortunately.. very cool none-the-less! for my newp, I am 99% sure it is NOT a RPM... it was a cheap pick-up so no worries.

I wouldn't rule it out as being an RPM. From what I can see the odds are better that it is an RPM!

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Here's my '07 S Dime:

doubling on the ribbon too... probably not recognizable as a RPM unfortunately.. very cool none-the-less! for my newp, I am 99% sure it is NOT a RPM... it was a cheap pick-up so no worries.

edited August 9, 2020 5:43PM

Machine doubling seems to be much more common with the Dimes and Quarters than the Halves. Why?

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2020 4:17AM

Finally got around to finishing off my Dansco low grade(G/VG) Barber half set with the addition of the 92O. Not too much to look at but it matches the rest of the set very nicely. Now, I have to decide if I am going to crack it out to put in the album or keep it in the holder!

@erwindoc said:
    Finally got around to finishing off my Dansco low grade(G/VG) Barber half set with the addition of the 92O. Not too much to look at but it matches the rest of the set very nicely. Now, I have to decide if I am going to crack it out to put in the album or keep it in the holder!

My vote- crack it out. Do you really want to stare at the empty hole in the album? Retain the label, however.

Yeah, you would be surprised how many G-VG 92-O's + S's I've cracked out at a show to make a sale!

@JeffMTampa said:

@erwindoc said:

My vote- crack it out. Do you really want to stare at the empty hole in the album? Retain the label, however.

• RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

yep crack it out
    And if I may add to JeffM...
    Just tape the label in the book so you don't misplace it LOL

Rob
  • RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Rob

To continue my Hub variety collection of the 1900 Quarters, this one showed up in the mail yesterday:

This one is the Type I Obverse paired with the Type II reverse.

As I was traveling back from vacation yesterday, this was on the back of a flatbed truck and it reminded me of all of you, my friends!

@sedulous said:
    As I was traveling back from vacation yesterday, this was on the back of a flatbed truck and it reminded me of all of you, my friends!

You think it was full of Barber Halves, Dimes, and Quarters?

@sedulous said:
    From June 27th..

Still keeping a lookout for that S/S in the '07-S dime. Will examine this NEWP in hand more closely about the 12th depending on shaky USPS deliveries as of late. The sellers pics don't bring out the possibility clearly. Unlikely here as they look like appropriately placed scratches and lighting:

• T

Have the coin in hand. No S/S. It seems to have been just the seller pics showing inadvertent scratch lighting:

• Tim

It's hard to follow up after the great dime photos Lenny posted, but I'll give it a shot. This 1900 PC AU58 arrived in the mail yesterday:

Although it's just a minor upgrade from the AU55 in my set, I really like the look of this coin.

• barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pics for this PM, newp of my friend Glen, PC-12:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file