Home U.S. Coin Forum

ANA World's Fair of Money...Seriously?

1235»

Comments

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

Went to McDonalds this AM for some takeout breakfast. I had my mask on as did the front end people and cooks. Plexiglas divider was up. 6 ft. floor distance markers were in place. Only odd thing about the visit was all the help were within 6 ft. of each other. Some shoulder to shoulder. No distancing there.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

@Mgarmy said:

@coiner said:
    From a source you can query on the net——but again we didn’t shutdown in 1968

Coronavirus vs. Hong Kong flu (H3N2) – 1968-1969

The Hong Kong flu pandemic appeared on 13th July 1968 – by 1969 it had caused 1-4 million deaths worldwide. It was one of the biggest flu pandemics of the 20th century, but fortunately had a lower CFR than the outbreak of 1918 so caused fewer deaths overall.

This may have been because people had developed immunity due to a similar outbreak in 1957, and thanks to improved medical care.

Compared to the Hong Kong flu, coronavirus:

is less widespread
    has resulted in fewer deaths
    has a higher CFR.

That is some analytic throat clearing. Covid 19 has killed more people in less time and short of a miracle will crush the mortality stats for the 68-69 flu. Your comparison is weak at best as that pandemic was an influenza variation just as the one we has in 2009 with h1n1 killed 30k in US. Why not more...because we had SOME antibodies. COVID = zero antibodies at first exposure. For God’s sake this stuff sucks enough without Ill informed conspiracy theories.

I’ll informed is a little strong. Conspiracy theory? Huh? So the 68-69 pandemic that killed multiple times the corona virus to date is a conspiracy theory? I think not.

It is a valid comparison—my point is we didn’t SHUT DOWN the entire country because of that outbreak.
    Not everyone had antibodies to that pandemic....and we have no idea about this one and why some carriers have NO symptoms or experience very little symptoms while others deteriorate quickly.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Well we went to the butcher in the Fairfax Farmers Market
    mark

Huell Howser loved that place.

• kruegerkrueger Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

I would have to pass thru airports 6 times! round trip
    Eat out while there if the restaurants are open. Take public uber or cabs.
    Most collectors are grey hairs and are in the vulnerable population.
    You may survive it, but it can leave organs damaged.
    I was planning before the virus but have no plans now.
    Most dealers I usually buy from I can contact by phone or email.
    Not going and saving the expenses , I can buy more and better coins.
    I will wait for the vaccine before I walk a bourse again.

Everyone has to decide on the risk they are comfortable with.

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's take a moment and play a thought experiment here:

One the day before the show, the Health Department announces that every Pittsburgh hotel, as well as the convention center, have both Legionnaires Disease and a particularly virulent strain of measles loose. Oh yeah...and some bedbugs too...

Now raise your hands if you'd be attending? Because, in reality...I think this may actually be more lethal than Legionnaires!

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2020 1:39AM

@Mgarmy said:

@dbldie55 said:
    In today's environment, I think at least 90% of the science reported is based purely on politics.

There are currently 2 kinds of people in this country today. Those who what to be free to live as the founders intended, and those who want to tell everyone else how to live. Which group you are in speaks volumes about you.

It is unfortunate for the old folks in nursing homes as they have no choice in their situation but for everybody else (except first responders and medical folks) Covid will be Lysol for the gene pool. There will be two kinds of people...those that live and those that die. I got a kick out of the protests in Richmond a couple weeks ago...”they took our rights blah blah blah.” Guess what...hot spot in Richmond couple weeks after the protests. Stupid is as stupid does

Or...you can't fix stupid.

Mgarmy
    You have to agree when the inflammatory opening lines with most of the mainstream media
    Open their broadcasts with “day xx and NO end in sight” and other doom and gloom comments—why not just report the news and be optimistic....people need hope; not doom and gloom.
    It’s not conspiracy—it’s their actions and comments—-just report the news. We can see the media outlets that want the president OUT and will use this situation and spin it in a way that paints a picture of DOOM; others paint it too rosey.
    When you start looking at this realistically, you take the precautions necessary but you don’t freeze up and become a prisoner in your own home forever. The country needs to get back to work.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2020 6:51AM

Months ago I told everyone I knew that, If, a big if, we shut the whole country down for one month we might be able to stop this.

I thought about this a bit and now with hindsight, I believe it would have been the right move. I think it would still work, just way, way harder now.

If it was up to me this is what I would have done.

Potus orders the whole country shut down for one month, every business except, power, water, EMS, cops, trash, sewage, farmers, ranchers, mailmen and firemen.

Potus gives the country an inspiration speech on why and how this is to be done.

Defense protection act to force masks, masks ,masks, and testing, testing, testing.

Order everyone to stay home for one month. One month is not that long folks as we are already months into this.

Use the US military and the national guard to take control of or buy massive amounts of food.

Use the US military and national guard to distribute food in conjunction with the post office as they go to every household. An already set up distribution network. At the same time, they could deliver medication people need with this network.

Test, test, and test.

Test, test, and test more.

In one month, you would know where the pockets of COVID are and isolate them.

A very simple plan but a massive plan.

Could this work?

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

ANA should not open

Media reports case count... maybe it would be better if they just ran 24/7 Mary poppins. Spoon full of sugar and all that. Those that have the ability to stay in and limit contact will. Those that cannot or choose not to will not. Everybody is gonna be exposed, goal is to push off that exposure until there are greater quantities of post exposure mitigation and eventually a vaccine. Look at all we have learned in two months.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@dbldie55 said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@btcollects said:
    Doesn't it look like they're trying to minimize cancellation fees and avoid giving refunds to dealers? As unwise as it seems, maybe it's a necessary financial move.

. What about all of those that will die due to the forced shutdown? Nobody seems to care about them. Like agent orange, some of the negative effects will not be known for years.

Wow, an amazingly ignorant argument.

Here is one for you in the same vain ... How many children are alive today because the schools are shut down and there have been Zero school shootings???

Statistics show if the schools were open what would have happened :'(

This virus and agent orange have absolutely NOTHING in common......the situation is COMPLETLY different!

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2020 9:36AM

@DIMEMAN said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@dbldie55 said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@btcollects said:
    Doesn't it look like they're trying to minimize cancellation fees and avoid giving refunds to dealers? As unwise as it seems, maybe it's a necessary financial move.

. What about all of those that will die due to the forced shutdown? Nobody seems to care about them. Like agent orange, some of the negative effects will not be known for years.

Wow, an amazingly ignorant argument.

Here is one for you in the same vain ... How many children are alive today because the schools are shut down and there have been Zero school shootings???

Statistics show if the schools were open what would have happened :'(

This virus and agent orange have absolutely NOTHING in common......the situation is COMPLETLY different!

The comment had nothing to do with the virus, it had to do with the long term effects of an action. In many cases the results will be the same. This is completely based on facts. You can find all kinds of stories about it if you look. The MSM will not cover it as it is not part of their agenda.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SeattleSlammer said:

@QCCoinGuy said:

>
    The carelessness and selfishness of attending a coin show in August is beyond comprehension.

>

3 months from now all states will have various degrees of ‘reopening’ well underway. Some states may have already reopened to a degree and then locked down again amid spikes in Corona. And of course there will inevitably be spikes as people emerge from their homes.

Per a number of medical articles on the subject: When trying to account for the huge number of current suspected asymptomatic cases, the fatality rate for Corona likely currently falls somewhere between .3-.8%......or, 3-8 times as deadly as the flu. Put another way, when accounting for asymptomatic cases, it’s estimated that 99.2 - 99.7% of those infected with Corona survive.

>

The numbers are coming from the same folks that said masks don't work only to recommend them a month later after tens of thousands of people died. They also told doctors it was okay to use bandanas and scarves as PPE. Do you really believe anything these people tell you? The CDC can make supposedly educated guesses, but the reality is the virus is novel and much is unknown. Those making claims of absolute facts are bloviating and pulling it from their rear.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    One last thought before the thread inevitably goes further off the rails & goes poof.

Where I live, there has been one positive test in our county in the last 4 weeks. No deaths for >2 months. We’re doing a reasonable amount of testing. My entire state has around 70 deaths, which, for us, is not really that different than a regular flu year. My medical friends in Massachusetts and Maryland are seeing an incredibly different landscape. My medical practice was virtually non-existent for two months, my hospital essentially empty, and the nurses getting sent home for lack of work. We’re opening for regular business and elective surgery tomorrow.

The neighboring county has had a recent spike in a nursing home, but otherwise none of the neighboring counties has seen anything but a downward trend.

Maybe, just maybe, each of us has reasons to feel the way we do, and maybe our individual experiences with this are vastly different. It’s a big, big country and many people aren’t aware of anything but the circumstances they see around them. What seems perfectly rational in one area may be perfectly irrational in another. That’s the crux of the problem with people telling other people what to do.

Maybe it actually is best that this be administered by states and counties with federal leadership serving mostly to provide information and resources. I truly feel for the localities that got the worst of this. Conditions there are unimaginable to folks in my town.

Travel, concerts, large gatherings..... probably was smart to shut it down, but “normal” will be appropriate much sooner in some places than others.

One size does not fit all.

I agree in principle, with the caveat that interstate travel is still potentially problematic in a scenario where every state sets its own policies. This brings us back to the ANA convention, where I'd be exposed to people from all over the country with absolutely no idea of what level of precautions their state may have been enforcing. Due to the indoor nature of a convention, I wouldn't feel any more comfortable going if the ANA were moved to Idaho this year. YMMV.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2020 11:24AM

Regulation of interstate travel and commerce is one area that the federal government should oversee, just as spelled out in the Constitution.

As an Idaho resident, I’m perfectly happy to have you come visit......... maybe next year. Just don’t move here. There’s enough of that already. :)

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I just read since Ga is opening up we are getting over run buy folks from neighboring states. :(

@CoinJunkie said:

@BryceM said:
    One last thought before the thread inevitably goes further off the rails & goes poof.

Where I live, there has been one positive test in our county in the last 4 weeks. No deaths for >2 months. We’re doing a reasonable amount of testing. My entire state has around 70 deaths, which, for us, is not really that different than a regular flu year. My medical friends in Massachusetts and Maryland are seeing an incredibly different landscape. My medical practice was virtually non-existent for two months, my hospital essentially empty, and the nurses getting sent home for lack of work. We’re opening for regular business and elective surgery tomorrow.

The neighboring county has had a recent spike in a nursing home, but otherwise none of the neighboring counties has seen anything but a downward trend.

Maybe, just maybe, each of us has reasons to feel the way we do, and maybe our individual experiences with this are vastly different. It’s a big, big country and many people aren’t aware of anything but the circumstances they see around them. What seems perfectly rational in one area may be perfectly irrational in another. That’s the crux of the problem with people telling other people what to do.

Maybe it actually is best that this be administered by states and counties with federal leadership serving mostly to provide information and resources. I truly feel for the localities that got the worst of this. Conditions there are unimaginable to folks in my town.

Travel, concerts, large gatherings..... probably was smart to shut it down, but “normal” will be appropriate much sooner in some places than others.

One size does not fit all.

I agree in principle, with the caveat that interstate travel is still potentially problematic in a scenario where every state sets its own policies. This brings us back to the ANA convention, where I'd be exposed to people from all over the country with absolutely no idea of what level of precautions their state may have been enforcing. Due to the indoor nature of a convention, I wouldn't feel any more comfortable going if the ANA were moved to Idaho this year. YMMV.

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

In Florence, wrote Giovanni Boccaccio, “No more respect was accorded to dead people than would nowadays be accorded to dead goats.” Some hid in their homes. Others refused to accept the threat. Their way of coping, Boccaccio wrote, was to “drink heavily, enjoy life to the full, go round singing and merrymaking, and gratify all of one’s cravings when the opportunity emerged, and shrug the whole thing off as one enormous joke.”

Some things never change
    The above quote was from bubonic plague, the second one..as there were three.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Giovanni died the next day. :p

Open the show
    I’ll be there

It’s an easy decision for individuals
    If you don’t feel comfortable, stay home.
    But the economy has to get back on its feet.

• MoneyMonkey1MoneyMonkey1 Posts: 104 ✭✭✭

I was looking forward to this show. I made hotel reservations in January. I cancelled last month. Too much risk not enough reward.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made my hotel reservation today. I have my route planned. As Willie would say " I can't wait to get on the road again ".

This discussion has been closed.