Home U.S. Coin Forum

ANA World's Fair of Money...Seriously?

Comments

• PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭

Many contracts have Force Majeure clauses which allow either party to dissolve the contract in the event of an unforeseen catastrophe; an epidemic would be one.

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

And just as an FYI, Coronavirus has been around for a long time. This 19th version just so happens to be a more contagious, more severe and a more deadly version. Indeed, this fall or next spring may be covid20.

• kennytpezkennytpez Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Interesting they would keep the show but cancel the Summer Seminar.

https://www.money.org/summer-seminar

This may have been addressed in another post but the college (Colorado College) suspended all summer programs and camps. Since the ANA is on the campus and utilizes their buildings for the seminar, they had no choice.

Kenny

Ken

I invite you to visit my numismatic eBay store https://ebay.com/str/numismaticswithkenny
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PhillyJoe said:
    Many contracts have Force Majeure clauses which allow either party to dissolve the contract in the event of an unforeseen catastrophe; an epidemic would be one.

This isn't an "unforeseen catastrophe".

They have all the notice/ prior knowledge of this virus that one can imagine.

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:
    One of the most popular posts on this forum is "enjoy coins as a hobby---never as an investment." If someone believes that and wants to avoid losing money on coins, cant see how it makes sense to risk your life traveling, staying overnight away from your home and then congregating with hundreds or thousands of others who have all traveled from all parts of the world.

I was looking forward to the ANA this year but i wont be attending. Also, my view of the ANA has gone down based upon the wording of their announcement.

Just remember, the ANA didn't word that announcement... just a couple of temporary representatives of the ANA...

:)

Was on the fence about going to Pittsburgh for the ANA even before this pandemic... zero chance I'll be going now.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you've been following what's going on in the meat packing industry where employees are packed in like sardines and infection rates are high why would a coin show or other large gathering be much different?

theknowitalltroll;
  • PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭

@hammer1 said:

@PhillyJoe said:

Pretty sure when the contract for this convention was signed 3 or 4 years ago, none of us had any knowledge of coronavirus.

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tom147 said:
    And just as an FYI, Coronavirus has been around for a long time. This 19th version just so happens to be a more contagious, more severe and a more deadly version. Indeed, this fall or next spring may be covid20.

The '19' in COVID-19 refers to 2019, not the 19th version, from COronaVIrus Disease 2019

Thank you for your service as a paramedic.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
    edited May 8, 2020 1:30PM

@PhillyJoe said:

@hammer1 said:

@PhillyJoe said:

Pretty sure when the contract for this convention was signed 3 or 4 years ago, none of us had any knowledge of coronavirus.

If signed years ago the promoter can get out of the contract

It is now an undisputed FORESEEN consequence.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tom147 said:
    Agreed, but some jurisdictions are attributing all " suspect " deaths to Covid19. The numbers are skewed. How much ? Impossible to know. Have a close friend who's mother passed while a resident of a nursing home. Death certificate states Covid19. No symptoms, no test. Has to do with reimbursement from the Feds. We're not testing deceased here. New York state doing the same thing. ( I'm in Ohio )

And in some jurisdictions suspect deaths are deliberately NOT being called COVID-related because officials are trying to lowball the numbers for political or other reasons. My sister recently posted a story on Facebook about a convent near where we grew up (she knew one of the Sisters from when she was in High School) that had ELEVEN of the Sisters die in April, but only five of them were officially COVID-related because only those five were ever tested.

Is it possible that one or two of the other six were not COVID-related? Of course. One of the Sisters was 99. Is it likely that NONE of the other six were COVID-related. It is most UNlikely.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

@shorecoll said:
    The safest place you'd be is on that plane. The average plane is now flying with 10 people and the air is constantly sterilized.

You WOULD be safer at that show than at the average WalMart.

People with underlying health conditions may be facing a long hard several years. People in nursing homes could be facing 2 years with no visitors, that makes me sad. I think the rest of society could be tiered/segmented by health level and age...it ain't fair, but Covid-19 don't care.

"Constantly sterilized?" What do you mean? Have they added some sort of equipment to sterilize the cabin air since the last time I flew? I used to fly a lot on business, and used to come down with a cold or something else after every third flight, on average.

One of the major airlines announced the other day that if you waned to sit next to an empty middle seat, you had to pay extra for the privilege. Part of the problem is that, as a rule, you do not know until you get to your seat on the plane how crowded the plane is or whether or not there is somebody sitting next to you.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

@astrorat said:

@Tom147 said:

The '19' in COVID-19 refers to 2019, not the 19th version, from COronaVIrus Disease 2019

Thank you for your service as a paramedic.

THIS!!!!!!!

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shorecoll said:
    The safest place you'd be is on that plane. The average plane is now flying with 10 people and the air is constantly sterilized.

People with underlying health conditions may be facing a long hard several years. People in nursing homes could be facing 2 years with no visitors, that makes me sad. I think the rest of society could be tiered/segmented by health level and age...it ain't fair, but Covid-19 don't care.

I am on a aa plane right now

Portland to Phoenix

90% full

Go figure

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

I must post a correction. I had been told by a medical director that Covid19 was the 19th strain of the coronavirus. I have since been informed that it was named because of the year 2019. Can't wait until our next meeting. No names but thank you for the correction sir.

Capt. As for the numbers, I agree 100%. With limited testing, no way to tell who did or didn't pass on from Covid19. Something we'll never know.

I learn alot on this forum. Thank you gentleman.

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@Raybo said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Raybo said:

@Justacommeman said:

@dbldie55 said:
    If they let me know in time I will be there. I have to fly to the show, even though the plane may crash. I may get killed in the cab going from the airport to the convention center. I may not even make it to my local airport or get hit in the parking lot.

What good is life if you are afraid to live.

Sure all that could happen every day of the week. Now factor in a pandemic with no cure that we are going through today.

I will counter what good is life if you are afraid to live with..... live to fight another day. I’ll wait a little before I rush out to do hobby related pursuits. I want to live the next 30 years or so. I have a lot of plans.

If you go may the force be with you

m

If I go so be it.
    I'm not going to live in a bubble for the rest of my short life.

I think the mods should end this thread, maybe?

This thread is pretty tame actually compared to others but it’s probably heading towards lock down/ quarantine.

I’ve volunteered to go into burning buildings so I’m not afraid of much. Coin shows don’t seem worth the risk/ reward to me. But as I said earlier we are all in this storm together but we are all on different boats. So I respect your POV

mark

Burning buildings?
    So now some of these medical people have a problem with dealing with sick people?
    Shouldn't these soon to be medical students (professionals) know what they are in for?
    Firemen go into burning buildings ( yes they do, it's their job!). Policeman can get shot, stabbed and whatever.
    What next?

Sorry Mark, I'm just fed up with the whole Corona thingy.

Cheers,
    Ray

Some of these medical people may have a problem with sick people as they are still poorly supplied to treat em. Some of these medical people have a problem with whack job protesters yelling and screaming “hoax” at them after a 14 hour shift. Heck they should let the crazy protesters work on COVID patients for 12 hours to get a taste. They wouldn't make it 10 minutes. After 9 weeks I can see why medical workers are starting to break. Hopefully they stay strong. We need them

Thanks for adding that perspective. I have two sons who are medical doctors working in hospitals as well as a nurse daughter-in-law. Comparing the current threat to those previously encountered, one of them made the comment that what is different is that doctors are now dying.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2020 4:06PM

If it's held; I will be there.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I've missed enough shows this year due to this damned virus.

I'm not missing the ANA, unless I have to..

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

"They" (at least two academic research labs) were working on a SARS vaccine during and shortly after the outbreak. Then funding stopped because "others" thought there was no longer a need for a SARS vaccine. It's not that "they" could not make a vaccine, but the research was stopped short ... probably because the "others" were** philatalists **and not numismatists (to keep it coin kosher).

That's one of my favorite words.
    I wish I collected stamps, just so I could introduce myself to the ladies as an experienced philatalist.

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn the torpedoes; FULL SPEED AHEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Admiral David Farragut)
    Steve

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@QCCoinGuy said:
    I am not going to let the virus infringe on my civil liberties. We could all die at any point (heart attack, car accident, plane crash, etc). If I want to take the risk of getting COVID-19 and dying, that's my problem. The news is just a bunch of elites trying to prevent me from exercising my constitutional right to do and say whatever I want.

Of course, I am kidding. The carelessness and selfishness of attending a coin show in August is beyond comprehension. There are plenty of ways to transact safely online, whether it's through eBay, auction houses, or trusted dealers with proper 21st century infrastructure. Take advantage.

Undoubtedly, the ANA is waiting for the city or venue to cancel, which is inevitable.

I bit hard on that and was already formulating a rebuttal as I was reading. Well played sir

m

Me too Mark. I was really seeing RED....until I got to the 2nd paragraph.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2020 8:17PM

I have my doubts, as to whether or not the show will actually happen, as the Convention Center may cancel it.

BUT, if I have to go to work, every day, because my job is essential to my company's corporate success, and I must go shopping, in large crowds, with people everywhere, then WHY should I be prevented from doing something that I truly ENJOY?

Things may be better by August. Cities all across the country are slowly returning to normalcy and August is still 3 months away, so I don't think it is completely beyond the realm of possibility.

Please forgive me, if I'm way off base.....

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@QCCoinGuy said:
    I am not going to let the virus infringe on my civil liberties. We could all die at any point (heart attack, car accident, plane crash, etc). If I want to take the risk of getting COVID-19 and dying, that's my problem. The news is just a bunch of elites trying to prevent me from exercising my constitutional right to do and say whatever I want.

Of course, I am kidding. The carelessness and selfishness of attending a coin show in August is beyond comprehension. There are plenty of ways to transact safely online, whether it's through eBay, auction houses, or trusted dealers with proper 21st century infrastructure. Take advantage.

Undoubtedly, the ANA is waiting for the city or venue to cancel, which is inevitable.

I bit hard on that and was already formulating a rebuttal as I was reading. Well played sir

m

How can you and I be on the same page? :)<3;)

Be safe out there :)

edited May 8, 2020 11:20PM

The show could be very hazardous to older coin collectors.

Anyone over 80 shouldn't even be shopping for groceries, let alone go to a coin show.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

@astrorat said:

@thefinn said:

@ms70 said:
    Personally I don't think we'll see normal again until there's a vaccine.

And if there's no vaccine? They weren't able to make one for SARS (of which Covid-19 is one, SARS Cov-2), or MERS, or HIV.

"They" (at least two academic research labs) were working on a SARS vaccine during and shortly after the outbreak. Then funding stopped because "others" thought there was no longer a need for a SARS vaccine. It's not that "they" could not make a vaccine, but the research was stopped short ... probably because the "others" were philatalists and not numismatists (to keep it coin kosher).

I had a talk with my doctor today, and guess what popped up?
    He was involved in a seminar, and the question was asked as to how many lives would be saved with all of the actions that have been done. The answer was ZERO. The area under the curve would be the same, but there would be no spikes that would overwhelm the health system.
    Most people will be infected by SARS Cov-2 (the actual name of this virus), but for very few will it be lethal.
    I think the stress and other underlying health issues are what kills. Most are dying of pneumonia started by flu-like symptoms.

thefinn
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    I'll make my decision in a couple months, assuming it hasn't already been made for me. By then the murky stew of information, hysteria, and outrage we have now will be replaced with a different murky stew of information, hysteria, and outrage.

Yup. A few more weeks at this point doesn't bring much additional clarity. We have to get past the second wave at least. If that one is a dud, then, maybe, we have some closure.

• chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in healthcare too. In a couple years, the thoughts of coin shows will be like the "good ol' days." This is going to be worse than the Great Depression.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@QCCoinGuy said:

m

We are probably alike in more ways than you realize. ;)

@DIMEMAN said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@QCCoinGuy said:

m

We are probably alike in more ways than you realize. ;)

I agree brother.

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:

@astrorat said:

@thefinn said:

@ms70 said:
    Personally I don't think we'll see normal again until there's a vaccine.

And if there's no vaccine? They weren't able to make one for SARS (of which Covid-19 is one, SARS Cov-2), or MERS, or HIV.

"They" (at least two academic research labs) were working on a SARS vaccine during and shortly after the outbreak. Then funding stopped because "others" thought there was no longer a need for a SARS vaccine. It's not that "they" could not make a vaccine, but the research was stopped short ... probably because the "others" were philatalists and not numismatists (to keep it coin kosher).

I had a talk with my doctor today, and guess what popped up?
    He was involved in a seminar, and the question was asked as to how many lives would be saved with all of the actions that have been done. The answer was ZERO. The area under the curve would be the same, but there would be no spikes that would overwhelm the health system.
    Most people will be infected by SARS Cov-2 (the actual name of this virus), but for very few will it be lethal.
    I think the stress and other underlying health issues are what kills. Most are dying of pneumonia started by flu-like symptoms.

Excellent post. Of course, the number of lives lost as a result of the actions will be much, much greater than zero.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

@btcollects said:
    Doesn't it look like they're trying to minimize cancellation fees and avoid giving refunds to dealers? As unwise as it seems, maybe it's a necessary financial move.

Which begs the question:What value does one put on a human life? On with the show for financial reasons or cater to health safety.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Which begs the question:What value does one put on a human life? On with the show for financial reasons or cater to health safety.

A microcosm for opening up the economy or staying shut down to protect those endangered?
    Lance.

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@btcollects said:
    Doesn't it look like they're trying to minimize cancellation fees and avoid giving refunds to dealers? As unwise as it seems, maybe it's a necessary financial move.

No one is forcing anyone to go. If you are at risk, stay home.

But you have a valid question about the value of human life. What about all of those that will die due to the forced shutdown? Nobody seems to care about them. Like agent orange, some of the negative effects will not be known for years.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shorecoll said:

You may have a misconception about “ air being constantly sterilized” on a plane. That’s not true. It’s really bad air.

• air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tom147 said:
    As chief of our F.D. all my guys have PPE on AT ALL TIMES. NO EXCEPTIONS. As for the naysayers who refuse to wear a mask in public, that's your decision but stay away from me or we'll have a problem. Please everyone stay safe.

Recently a I stopped for fuel at a station and decided to run inside and get a bottle of water. I had my mask on and my hand sanitizer in my pocket. Low and behold there are two fire department paramedics in uniform and ambulance outside, neither had a mask on. Great way to lead by example.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

@shorecoll said:

I am on a aa plane right now

Portland to Phoenix

90% full

Go figure

Yes, that was the one PDX-PHX flight scheduled for this month.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    I find this thread to be fascinating. I don’t discount anyone’s opinion, but the consensus sentiment here indicates a level of fear that I have a hard time understanding. I’m not advocating throwing caution to the wind, but my goodness, we aren’t going to be living like this forever. We went from normal to cave-dwelling in about 2 weeks. Going the other direction will take longer, but the show is quite a ways off.

I’d be happy to go, happy to take a flight, happy to stay in a hotel, happy to mingle and interact with others, and I’d be reasonably comfortable doing it without a mask. I’d then be pretty comfortable coming back home and visiting my oldest relatives. But, what do I know - I’m just an MD in a small town in a low-COVID area.

I used to be terrified of rattlesnakes, and it almost kept me from enjoying the outdoors. Literally, I’d avoid the mountains and places they live. They can kill you, obviously and it is possible to step on one without knowing. Then I started looking at actual data, and the chance of getting bitten wasn’t zero, but it was acceptable to my rational brain. My emotional brain was scarcely convinced. Then I saw a few, realized that they just need a little space and respect, and carried on. Once I saw the thing, and dealt with it, the fear was replaced by understanding and respect. My colleagues hang around COVID + patients daily. I still interact with them, carefully, and expect to be fine.

Those of you waiting for a vaccine - it might happen, and I hope it does, but there is a REAL possibility it doesn’t happen at all, or that it happens with only partial effectiveness. The common cold is caused by other coronaviruses (and others) and you all know how successful we’ve been at eliminating that one.

As for the show - it probably won’t happen, but it could, safely, if people would allow it to. Unhealthy older people probably need to be careful, and yes, sadly that demographic hits our hobby squarely. So, we’ll see, but we will get past this. Brave souls will lead the way, almost all of them will be OK, and the rest will follow, eventually.

While I don't disagree with this, we really need to wait through the summer just to make sure. Most universities are going to go online this Fall - they don't want to, but there is viable concern about a second wave, anything with congregating people this summer, is too soon and maybe even this fall. You know as an MD just how bad it is for a small portion of the people that get it, just look at the death count. ANA should think about this aspect and the financial aspect as well.

There is a difference between rattlesnakes and Covid-19. A rattlesnake gives you a warning if you get too close - as one did to my wife two days ago on a walk near our house (5-footer western diamondback). CV-19 does not have a warning system for humans.......

Best, SH

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/

@BryceM said:
    @Tom147

Well said. You, sir, have seen the rattlesnake.

Math, for those who understand things this way:

• US Deaths since Feb 6 (1st documented death in the US): 703,000 (using 2017 data for average months)
    • Of those, 79,000 were people from age 25-34, of various non-COVID causes.
    • Total reported US COVID-19 deaths during this period: 77,559

If you died in the US during the past 3 months, statistically there is an 11% chance you died of COVID-19.

and probably millions that are/were infected and asymptomatic, that could infect someone at risk, that we don't know about? Love to go to ANA but no way will I put others at risk if I am one of the asymptos........

edited May 9, 2020 11:57AM

FYI to all as I just checked the up to date stats, the curve in the US has not flattened out and reversed yet, some states, like New Mexico, are still seeing increased cases per day and thus on the upward swing of documented cases. US as a whole has seen 2 days of more cases than the previous days. Some or all of this may be the result of better and more testing. S. Korea opened up and are now seeing an increase in infections. HST, we are not out of this yet, won't be through this year probably, we don't know how many infected asymptos are running around out there, but data suggest many many more than documented cases.

So any large gatherings, even when taking precautions, adds to the risk and extends the time for getting the curve down. This is why ANA really needs to rethink their bold attempt to convince the numistmatic proletariat to come to Pittsburg in August.

Best,
    SH

My plan is to attend IF they have it. ( big if )  However this depends on the possible surge now that things are starting to open up. Numbers go up, I stay home.   I will be wearing a mask, face shield and gloves ( change after every booth. Yes I have enough. I buy by the case )   IMO the show will more than likely be cancelled. Decision will be made for me. 

PLEASE everyone stay safe.

edited May 9, 2020 8:24AM

@dbldie55 said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@btcollects said:

. What about all of those that will die due to the forced shutdown? Nobody seems to care about them. Like agent orange, some of the negative effects will not be known for years.

Wow, an amazingly ignorant argument.

Here is one for you in the same vain ... How many children are alive today because the schools are shut down and there have been Zero school shootings???

Statistics show if the schools were open what would have happened :'(

This discussion has been closed.