Home U.S. Coin Forum

ANA World's Fair of Money...Seriously?

Comments

• csanotescsanotes Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds to me like we can all say—“The show must go on!”

Chance favors the prepared mind.

• 1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

End of the first paragraph? I would think that it would be up to the Dealers "Not" the Government Action to hold the Show! NO Dealers= Now Show, I like a "Big" coin convention as much as the next guy but I'll stay home until there is a vaccine! I know that it takes Years to plan and acquire the Convention Center, but if Dealers are a no show, there is "No" show. Sorry!!

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

I pity people who have to grapple with this. They had me at “unleash”.

How will people be arriving? Driving regionally? From California? Can you even book a flight right now and will an airline fly with only a few passengers onboard? I don’t know. I get it that our economy is a complex ecosystem that needs all job sectors operational to be healthy, still, I think rebooting closed businesses at even a minimal distanced amount is going to be a huge win for everyone going forward. I can’t picture any large gathering of people happening at any phase but last as this all plays out. Is 11 weeks enough time? Not my call thankfully.

They say our tourism season will happen short of road blocks and those aren’t even being considered, so its down to an individual choice I guess going forward as to ones comfort level of attending these sorts of gatherings. I would think that if an event creates a draw and attraction for people to gather and then folks get ill from that contact that there may be some sort of liability to the promoter.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way would I be there, even if it were within an hour drive and I was eager to buy stuff. Summer FUN was cancelled and it is only a month earlier...and that's about a 90 minute drive for me. No, no, no way. I can't imagine the older demographic coin dealers that are high risk would want to be anywhere close.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t see any harm in remaining in a position to put on a show (just in case). And they might be entitled to some potential refunds if they aren’t the ones to cancel.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 said:
    Summer FUN was cancelled and it is only a month earlier...and that's about a 90 minute drive for me. No, no, no way. I can't imagine the older demographic coin dealers that are high risk would want to be anywhere close.

I just checked the funtopics.com website, and they indicate that as of now Summer FUN is still on. Yes, they may decide to cancel, but as of now, not yet (at least according to their website)

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sympathize with the people wanting to make a living. For the ones that choose to go I hope they take all necessary precautions. I will not be attending.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it to early for a morbid joke?

I don't want to get flamed or bammed.

It is just a joke but was the first thing that came to mind after I read the letter.

Well second, I guess, after "you gotta be freaking kidding me" :o

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,163 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't ever go that far for a coin show anyway but the 1% chance that I might someday is at a solid 0% chance as of now. I'm sure this will be canceled in time, heck the upcoming LB show is still on as far as I know right now, just have to wait for the venue to make it official so the promoter is off the hook.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

Long Beach is STILL listed as a "go" . . . .

After all . . .we are 'warriors' for the economy !!!!!!

Drunner

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2020 6:56PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

I don't want to get flamed or banned.

Was the joke that the only collectors that will show up are those that miss coin shows so much, they are dying to go?

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    Personally I don't think we'll see normal again until there's a vaccine.

And if there's no vaccine? They weren't able to make one for SARS (of which Covid-19 is one, SARS Cov-2), or MERS, or HIV.

thefinn
  • thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:

Give 'em hell Colonel!

thefinn
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2020 7:06PM

@winesteven said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

I don't want to get flamed or banned.

Was the joke that the only collectors that will show up are those that miss coin shows so much, they are dying to go?

No. but kinda.

here we go .....

this is a joke.....

"They" are just trying to free up coins from the older collectors and dealers.

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Point me the way to any kind of major coin show (in my area) and I would be there so fast that your head would spin.
    It ain't going away folks so...live free or die.

BTW I wear face protection because "our governor" has made it the law of the land.
    It really has become all about politics.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dbldie55 said:
    If they let me know in time I will be there. I have to fly to the show, even though the plane may crash. I may get killed in the cab going from the airport to the convention center. I may not even make it to my local airport or get hit in the parking lot.

What good is life if you are afraid to live.

Sure all that could happen every day of the week. Now factor in a pandemic with no cure that we are going through today.

I will counter what good is life if you are afraid to live with..... live to fight another day. I’ll wait a little before I rush out to do hobby related pursuits. I want to live the next 30 years or so. I have a lot of plans.

If you go may the force be with you

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is threads like this that reminds me of a former board member that we lost when he was way to young. I fear millions more will have the same fate.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:

@ms70 said:

And if there's no vaccine? They weren't able to make one for SARS (of which Covid-19 is one, SARS Cov-2), or MERS, or HIV.

My understanding is that they stopped the SARS and MERS vaccine projects prematurely. Containment worked, so efforts on a vaccine did not continue. HIV is a different animal as it isn’t a Coronavirus.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've kind of reached the point where if people want to gamble with their own health, who am I to argue? Everyone potentially attending the show is aware of the risks going in. I also understand the argument that they will be endangering others encountered after the show if they become carriers of the virus by attending. I would hope that every attendee would isolate until they got tested after the show, but you can't legislate common sense.

Just my two cent piece.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the ANA has a show this year, I will be there!

• MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our hosts are also planning 4 coin shows this year, if other coin shows are canceled!

@Justacommeman said:

@dbldie55 said:
    If they let me know in time I will be there. I have to fly to the show, even though the plane may crash. I may get killed in the cab going from the airport to the convention center. I may not even make it to my local airport or get hit in the parking lot.

Sure all that could happen every day of the week. Now factor in a pandemic with no cure that we are going through today.

I will counter what good is life if you are afraid to live with..... live to fight another day. I’ll wait a little before I rush out to do hobby related pursuits. I want to live the next 30 years or so. I have a lot of plans.

m

I drive for a living and listen to the radio for most of the day (Corona), than I come home and try to relax with a little TV (all Corona) and now the PCGS forum has been infected?

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Holy Crap!

They do realize that these shows cater to a skewed population pool that is enriched for above average to very much above average risk folks and that these highly susceptible folks will be, by definition of a coin show, packed together far more tightly than any social distancing safety precaution might accommodate and face-to-face time will be quite high and that all these susceptible folks engaging in high risk activities will be in an enclosed area over the course of several days and will have to get to the meeting place largely by air travel and will need to stay in hotels and typically eat out in crowds.

They realize that run-on sentence, right?

I'm guessing they do realize all that, yes. ;)

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dbldie55 said:

The first law of life. "You don't get old by being stupid."

theknowitalltroll;

@Justacommeman said:

@dbldie55 said:

m

If I go so be it.
    I'm not going to live in a bubble for the rest of my short life.

I think the mods should end this thread, maybe?

@Raybo said:

@Justacommeman said:

@dbldie55 said:

m

I drive for a living and listen to the radio for most of the day (Corona), than I come home and try to relax with a little TV (all Corona) and now the PCGS forum has been infected?

In between the chaos working I’m on the bike, practicing and teaching yoga and meditating. It helps. But you are right this hard to escape otherwise. It’s so messed up. It sucks

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited May 7, 2020 8:37PM

@Raybo said:

@Justacommeman said:

@dbldie55 said:

m

If I go so be it.

This thread is pretty tame actually compared to others but it’s probably heading towards lock down/ quarantine.

I’ve volunteered to go into burning buildings so I’m not afraid of much. Coin shows don’t seem worth the risk/ reward to me. But as I said earlier we are all in this storm together but we are all on different boats. So I respect your POV

mark

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

I'm with MS70 here. No vaccine.......no go. I am at risk and so is my wife. It's just not worth it!

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't predict what the world will look like this summer, but if the ANA decides to proceed with the show, I'll probably go. Not because I'm relying on their judgement, but because they'll be getting their information from the same places I'd get mine.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

I predict the Show will be a NO Show! That's for Sure🤨

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • 3stars3stars Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have a vaccine for the flu, people still get a variant every year. You can’t hide under your bed for the rest of your life.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

As much as I love to go to shows to cherrypick die varieties, and even tho the pickings are pretty sparse these days, I am a few years over 65 and have an underlying health condition. I will, therefore, abstain from attending shows, even small local ones, until an effective vaccine is available.

@Justacommeman said:

@Raybo said:

@Justacommeman said:

@dbldie55 said:

m

If I go so be it.

This thread is pretty tame actually compared to others but it’s probably heading towards lock down/ quarantine.

I’ve volunteered to go into burning buildings so I’m not afraid of much. Coin shows don’t seem worth the risk/ reward to me. But as I said earlier we are all in this storm together but we are all on different boats. So I respect your POV

mark

Burning buildings?
    So now some of these medical people have a problem with dealing with sick people?
    Shouldn't these soon to be medical students (professionals) know what they are in for?
    Firemen go into burning buildings ( yes they do, it's their job!). Policeman can get shot, stabbed and whatever.
    What next?

Sorry Mark, I'm just fed up with the whole Corona thingy.

Cheers,
    Ray

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2020 11:05PM

Interesting they would keep the show but cancel the Summer Seminar.

https://www.money.org/summer-seminar

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2020 10:26PM

Totally understandable for those that refuse to attend another coin show until a Corona vaccine is available.

Also understandable for those that want to attend a coin show even with no vaccine available.

The common flu kills .1% .... it’s projected that when asymptomatic and mild-symptom Corona infections are properly weighed, its fatality rate is in the .3-.8% range.

Like the flu, the possibility of Corona infection will be a reality for everyone alive today for the rest of their lives.

So....back to the possibility of a coin show in 3 months. Could be very low attendance, but it may be worth a shot if they’re not breaking any of their Corona-related state laws.

And each of us will decide what’s best for each of us, and carry on...

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's one way to kill off a decent chunk of the rare coin market.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2020 10:36PM

@TomB said:
    Holy Crap!

They do realize that these shows cater to a skewed population pool that is enriched for above average to very much above average risk folks and that these highly susceptible folks will be, by definition of a coin show, packed together far more tightly than any social distancing safety precaution might accommodate and face-to-face time will be quite high and that all these susceptible folks engaging in high risk activities will be in an enclosed area over the course of several days and will have to get to the meeting place largely by air travel and will need to stay in hotels and typically eat out in crowds.

They likely don't care. So as long as they keep your money and don't have to refund it, they couldn't care less if you die.

This perception can't be good for the ANA.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

And if there is never a vaccine, what are you going to do?

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
    edited May 7, 2020 11:21PM

@cameonut2011 said:

@TomB said:
    Holy Crap!

They likely don't care. So as long as they keep your money and don't have to refund it, they couldn't care less if you die.

This perception can't be good for the ANA.

They are SO tone death that it doesn’t even register. The ANA operates like its still in 1996.

Their ideals are unimaginative and border on lazy. The ANA needs to be blown up and start fresh with freaky fresh ideas. Of course you will need fresh blood to pull this off backed with technology.

mark

This discussion has been closed.