Home U.S. Coin Forum

What coin or coins are you going to buy with your stimulus money?

mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got $600 earmarked for purchase of one coin for my modest Lincoln cent collection.

What will you spend at least part of your stimulus money on?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Comments

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won't get any (there is an earnings phase-out clause, from what I understand).

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

None for me either.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • 50cCOMMEMGUY50cCOMMEMGUY Posts: 211 ✭✭✭

Actually a Sig Tread and Trijicon MRO.
    I love my coins but it seems like a better investment at this moment. Dealer has it sitting in a safe waiting for me 😉

"Today the crumbs, tomorrow the
    loaf. Perhaps someday the whole damn boulangerie." - fictional Jack Rackham

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

None. I don't qualify.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I owe twice the amount in taxes. They get mine right back.

• CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2020 6:11PM

I've been retired almost 10 years and still won't be getting anything as I understand the requirements.

• djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

No Coins for me either.

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I only owed twice the amount in taxes. LOL. :o

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll let the wife spend the stimulus checks. Then I'll sneak a little extra outa my paycheck.

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CCGGG said:

@Lakesammman said:
    I don't know - what's a good thing to own when the US declares bankruptcy?

Guns and ammo and maybe gold and silver.

Toilet paper, judging by what cannot be purchased around here at this time.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know - what's a good thing to own when the US declares bankruptcy?

Memories that are pleasant? My mom shared an interest with me in collecting pennies for our blue Whitman books. We would go through rolls of pennies together. Mom once found a mostly red 1910 in a roll.

I would daydream about finding a 1909 S VDB for my coin book.

What are the odds? If one took all the wheat cents ever made and mixed them together to ensure some randomness, one could expect to find one 1909-S VDB in every 55,000 coins or 11 bags of 5000 coins.

I'm thinking a good coin to own these days is a 1909 S V.D.B. Lincoln cent. I got my eye on one graded for $600.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought briefly about applying it towards a down payment on a 1799 large cent, but the practical side of me is probably going to put it towards a new central ac unit.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1874 said:
    I've got $600 earmarked for purchase of one coin for my modest Lincoln cent collection.

What will you spend at least part of your stimulus money on?

I thought we are so spend that money on essentials .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

edited March 25, 2020 6:45PM

I already spent it many months ago

Birthday present to myself. How are you doing these days, sweetness? <3

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2020 7:55PM

Ah, didn't come out right. Never mind. :)

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am 1 of the "essential workers" and have been working every day. I won't get any.

Ken
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2020 8:45PM

Coins? Are you kidding?

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just bought 4. Two cherry, two chocolate. > @Justacommeman said:

I won’t be getting a check but if I was it sure wouldn’t be used for a coin

m

God Bless you my Brother.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won’t get a check they say I am too RICH! I guess I am one of those millionaires but I would never know it.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly, no money. Too ‘rich’, according to congress. 😂

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will not use it (if I get it) on a coin or coins.

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

I may....

I’m looking for a nicely struck PCGS FE IN 61 or 62

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

If any...

Submit a good size submission of coins and a bulk submission of baseball cards to our host for grading.

Been thinking of buying a coin case and trying my hand at some weekend show dealing.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a penny for me. I honestly can’t think of a single gov handout I’ve qualified for, going back to cash for clunkers when I wanted to trade in my 1980 volvo, it was too old.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt that I will get much if anything so not really an option, besides coins are on hold for the foreseeable future at this point as my business has been affected.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2020 11:50PM

Depends. Are the income-based limitations based on 2019 earnings, or are they based on unknown and maybe non-existent 2020 earnings?

But to play the fantasy game, if I had $1200 coming, I'd buy the first coin I found that fits in my collection.

And FWIW, it would have been better to just send everyone some toilet paper, rice, canned beans, and bottled water once a month until the coast is clear.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Depends. Are the income-based limitations based on 2019 earnings, or are they based on unknown and maybe non-existent 2020 earnings?

But to play the fantasy game, if I had $1200 coming, I'd buy the first coin I found that fits in my collection.

And FWIW, it would have been better to just send everyone some toilet paper, rice, canned beans, and bottled water once a month until the coast is clear.

If you haven’t filed taxes they are based on 2018 returns

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am retired. Social Security, Military, State of Alaska. Don't think I'm eligible for the 'Free Money'.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not counting on anything.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

I agree

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

My work is in the essential category (healthcare IT) and I think I’ll get some as I’m the only wage earner in the family. Some will go to some things for my son (he’s autistic and has some special needs) and my wife told me I’d have to spend some on a coin. So I will probably look for a nice common date AU 58 barber half.

I thought we are so spend that money on essentials .

I've concluded that owning a 1909 S VDB is essential. $600 is all I'll spend however. Dentist gets the other $600. Dentist is essential too.

edited March 26, 2020 5:19AM

a nice common date AU 58 barber half.

Nice Barber halves are hard to find. Good luck trying to find one.

I'm not having any problem at all finding a suitable 1909 S VDB for my Whitman Classic album. Buy it slabbed and break it out for the album is something I might do.

Is there any more awesome numismatic goal to go for than successfully assembling a complete well-matched set of Lincoln cents 1909-1958?

• Use towards my property taxes, I’m in the travel business and probably won’t have a job.

"Speak comfort to me Jacob."
    edited March 26, 2020 5:25AM

The smart dealer with a good inventory of $100 to $1000 coins should be all over this. That's your economic stimulus taking hold.

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not planning to buy anything.

When in doubt, don't.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably no check here....have not looked at the details...Have to pay taxes, so if I got a check, it would just relieve the burden...For those who get one, it will help if unemployed due to this situation...Hope everyone is doing well. Cheers, RickO

Of course, no job, no coin. Paying for food, medicine and rent for yourself and loved ones more important than any coin.

• fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mortgage - check
    Car note - check
    Grocery/Fuel - Check
    Savings - check

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

IF - I were to get a check I would spend it on toilette paper and frozen pizzas. Our WalMart has been out of both for a month now.
    :#

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file