Home U.S. Coin Forum

What coin or coins are you going to buy with your stimulus money?

Comments

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    After giving this some more thought, I think that instead of the $1200 deal, the government should have offered low interest loans to individuals and business equal to some percentage of the taxes they paid in the previous three years. Impossible to know if that would end up costing the government more or less than the current plan, but it would do a better job of keeping things running smoothly, and eliminating giveaways to people who don't really need the money.

Except that a majority of the people getting loans likely couldn't afford to repay them anyway so it would be a giveaway either way. it makes no sense to borrow money to give aid to folks who don't really need it.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@MrEureka said:
    After giving this some more thought, I think that instead of the $1200 deal, the government should have offered low interest loans to individuals and business equal to some percentage of the taxes they paid in the previous three years. Impossible to know if that would end up costing the government more or less than the current plan, but it would do a better job of keeping things running smoothly, and eliminating giveaways to people who don't really need the money.

Except that a majority of the people getting loans likely couldn't afford to repay them anyway so it would be a giveaway either way.

I would expect there to be a high correlation between a borrower's past tax payments and his ability to repay future loans. Naturally, there would be exceptions.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

No check for me. Would probably just spend it on a fishing trip if I got one

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    I don't know - what's a good thing to own when the US declares bankruptcy?

Wampum? ;)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dishwasher needs replacement. I'd like to find "american made", but not sure if that is an option. It will be bought from a local company though.

• nickelsciolistnickelsciolist Posts: 195 ✭✭✭

Honestly...if we do get checks, and I think we will, we don't need them and know many others that do. Those checks will go right to a local charity. They can spend the money and stimulate the economy just as well as we can, and to a much better effect.

• 50cCOMMEMGUY50cCOMMEMGUY Posts: 211 ✭✭✭

@Sandman70gt said:

@ironmanl63 said:
    Ironworker coin collector = rare bird.

Mechanic coin nerd = rare bird as well.
    Guess we'll get checks

Ditto. Fellow wrench turner.

"Today the crumbs, tomorrow the
    loaf. Perhaps someday the whole damn boulangerie." - fictional Jack Rackham

• RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the not $1200 but not nothing category. Some on coins, some on donations/helping out people in need I know, a bit for taxes, which I'm anticipating.

And the coin will be gold, and I'll squirrel a bit on savings.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

No check coming, but I do have a refunded airfare to Ireland pending. I may parlay that into a coin.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

$1200 is a de minimus amount of money for a person who is out of work for an extended period. Sure unemployment is available, but this bill was meant to stabilize financial markets, not support individuals or small businesses.

• CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

Most likely there will be no check coming.

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

No check for me but it was not meant for me. If I was going to get one I would buy the long barrel version of the fx 9. Already have the short

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    $1200 is a de minimus amount of money for a person who is out of work for an extended period. Sure unemployment is available, but this bill was meant to stabilize financial markets, not support individuals or small businesses.

How can $1200 a head possibly stabilize financial markets?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2020 6:41PM

I’m thankfully still employed so I can still help the economy out.

My recommendation is that you go with plan A. Acquire a nice Barber half. Those things are amazing when they have mint luster.

I'm doing America, and myself, a favor by buying a 1909 S VDB for myself with part of my stimulus check.

Also, the dealer I'm buying this coin from could use a little business it seems.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any coins that I get will be considered pork attached to what my wife may want to buy.

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I make too much, but I got a check it would go for pre 33 gold

Coin collecting is a luxury activity and as such, there are almost no limits to the amounts possible to gain. That we take our luxuries here in America very seriously should be lost on noone.

Look for cruise vacation bargains in a few months time.

No cruise for me. I'm going to check the book and see if there's room for another $400 to $600 coin. A silver coin.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure I'm getting one, last time I checked I was. I don't need one. Most likely would be giving to proceeds to any family members to give them a hand.

Maybe I will visit my younger brother this summer. He's got a '16-D dime he would probably sell me.

• oldUScoinsoldUScoins Posts: 232 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2020 5:48AM

NVM enjoy your money.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to invest any money that I might get in a nice gold coin. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Both the SVDB and the 16D are graded-by-our-host pieces.

I believe in getting TPG authentication for ANY KEY DATE coin.

The 1909 SVDB Lincoln cent and the 1916 D Mercury dime are two stars among the group of most counterfeited US coins.

Even if I think I know real from bogus I still get the KEY date coin authenticated by TPG.

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bagged, sealed, and froze my leftover spaghetti and a bunch of fruit for smoothies.

Working on a pot of chili today.

Probably spent $1000 on sealers, canning supplies, food.... so I have spent check#1 B)

Having recently lost my dad to dementia, exercising my mind by reading books, grading coins, and listing stuff on ebay is part of my daily routine.

Gonna try to sell a few coins and cards to raise a little cash for fluffy stuff in life... ie grading fees/coin purchases

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2020 9:40AM

**Removed due to conflicting source information. My source was a Forbes article from March 18th. **

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackbrewster/2020/03/19/heres-how-the-government-plans-on-giving-you-1000/

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, it’s not a loan against your 2020 return. https://www.wsj.com/articles/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-payments-from-the-government-11585229988

Key parts: “ So people who ultimately qualify for more money than they receive this year—a person whose income drops from $100,000 to $70,000, for example—would get the rest through a larger tax refund or smaller tax payment in early 2021.

But people who ultimately qualify for less money than they got this year—a person whose income rises from $70,000 to $100,000—wouldn’t have to pay it back.”

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

The language in other places is confusing. It’s a 2020 rebate applied to last year’s (simple case) return. Not on the 2021 return.

Considered buying a gold piece but instead have decided on acquiring a few elusive to scarce pieces in the low denominations, penny, nickel and dime.

• 50cCOMMEMGUY50cCOMMEMGUY Posts: 211 ✭✭✭

I’d like to note that although I myself am not buying any coin related items with my stimulus, I think there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it. There’s many dealers out there that could use some economic stimulation!

"Today the crumbs, tomorrow the
    loaf. Perhaps someday the whole damn boulangerie." - fictional Jack Rackham

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bearcave said:
    I am 1 of the "essential workers" and have been working every day. I won't get any.

God be with you...maybe offer @mr1874 one of your $600 coins for sale...that’s the American way ;)

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:

@bearcave said:
    I am 1 of the "essential workers" and have been working every day. I won't get any.

God be with you...maybe offer @mr1874 one of your $600 coins for sale...that’s the American way ;)

Wish I had a $600 coin! :p

Ken
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bearcave said:

@bearcave said:

...keep your head high my brother...almost every Real American has to work with their hands in the street before dividends start paying...work hard, work strong and kick some ass out there man! ;)

• Sun DiegoSun Diego Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

No money here as the bill doesn’t take into account high costs of living in CA and related salary.

Midwest everyone will enjoy the cash flow. I will continue to work everyday dreaming of what it would be like.

Stay well and shout out to my wife who is in the trenches as an RN in a San Diego hospital without PPE.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I get anything it will go for a new fuel pump for my Explorer. Coins are no longer in the top 25 of my priority list.

• habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trump silver rounds of course

• air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

No money coming our way, I’m happy about this too, there are way to many folks needing help. God bless them.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Y> @air4mdc said:

No money coming our way, I’m happy about this too, there are way to many folks needing help. God bless them.

@Nic said:
    I > @MrEureka said:

After some thought, I think the money should be used to make everyone confident in access to ventilators if needed.

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    I'm not sure I'm getting one, last time I checked I was. I don't need one. Most likely would be giving to proceeds to any family members to give them a hand.

@Sun Diego said:
    No money here as the bill doesn’t take into account high costs of living in CA and related salary.

Midwest everyone will enjoy the cash flow. I will continue to work everyday dreaming of what it would be like.

Stay well and shout out to my wife who is in the trenches as an RN in a San Diego hospital without PPE.

There has never been a time where generosity has been more needed. These checks are just a small drop in the bucket of what’s needed. We have so much more hell in front of us. Give if you can

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it will help stimulate the economy enough to make a difference, but hopefully it will help most people get out of a jam that they may be in from losing their job. I don't qualify, but I'm okay with that as I count myself as one of the lucky ones that is still working (and not from home).

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Won't be coins for me, ammo is the top priority followed by heads, primers and pure essentials. I don't have a good feeling about my Gov't handing me money, God bless us all and future generations that will foot the bill, nothing is free.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • TyrockTyrock Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

In this financial environment, I'm not sure that buying a coin should be the first priority.

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2020 5:45AM

@bearcave said:

@bearcave said:

...keep your head high my brother...almost every Real American has to work with their hands in the street before dividends start paying...work hard, work strong and kick some ass out there man! ;)

Thanks man! I am working in the midwest everyday, and not from home. I may end up with some of this because they set the income so high, but like someone said, they haven't taken in consideration of the high cost of living in California. I don't know if a coin will be in my future or not but it will be a low cost one if it is! 🙂 edit to say Nothing is free!

Ken

In this financial environment, I'm not sure that buying a coin should be the first priority.

This is the place to express yourself about priorities.

I'm buying a 1909 S VDB penny for my collection, a collection that has never been before blessed with such. Who do I thank?

If I get anything it will go for a new fuel pump for my Explorer. Coins are no longer in the top 25 of my priority list.

I enjoy getting my art collections out and thinking about how I can improve them. Money to buy new coin usually not there but nothing to sweat about.

• rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

One Golden Buffalo - best denomination year possible for the amount I'm getting.

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty neat the new things people will buy with their new 'FREE' money. Payback is a tough thing and there will be payback; sooner or later.

• CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

What stimulus money?

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m going to spend it all On collectors universe stock!

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2020 8:27AM

"> Won't be coins for me, ammo is the top priority followed "

I find this one fascinating .... how are more guns and ammo going to protect you from this silent killer ...

... and yes, society will not fall apart, no way no how.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stimulate this.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

@50cCOMMEMGUY said:

@Sandman70gt said:

@ironmanl63 said:
    Ironworker coin collector = rare bird.

Mechanic coin nerd = rare bird as well.
    Guess we'll get checks

Ditto. Fellow wrench turner.

Grease monkeys never die. Still at it, among other trades. Albeit in my time, for a select few.

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

"> Won't be coins for me, ammo is the top priority followed "

I find this one fascinating .... how are more guns and ammo going to protect you from this silent killer ...

... and yes, society will not fall apart, no way no how.

No one knows with clarity what will happen over the next few months. I would rather have essential staples, guns and ammo than a year's supply of toilet paper, jmo.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file