Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What coin or coins are you going to buy with your stimulus money?

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be buying paper in the form of stock certificates.

• Options
    50cCOMMEMGUY50cCOMMEMGUY Posts: 211 ✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

"> Won't be coins for me, ammo is the top priority followed "

I find this one fascinating .... how are more guns and ammo going to protect you from this silent killer ...

... and yes, society will not fall apart, no way no how.

As sad as the premise is, it is firearms that will be the last ditch method of procurement when the boogaloo starts....

"Today the crumbs, tomorrow the
    loaf. Perhaps someday the whole damn boulangerie." - fictional Jack Rackham

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1874 said:
    Coin collecting is a luxury activity and as such, there are almost no limits to the amounts possible to gain. That we take our luxuries here in America very seriously should be lost on noone.

Look for cruise vacation bargains in a few months time.

No cruise for me. I'm going to check the book and see if there's room for another $400 to $600 coin. A silver coin.

Never wanted to go on a cruise and this will seal the deal for sure.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

nada...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine started with S&W in the 80's, guess I'll stick with S&W.

Ken
  • Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

"> Won't be coins for me, ammo is the top priority followed "

I find this one fascinating .... how are more guns and ammo going to protect you from this silent killer ...

... and yes, society will not fall apart, no way no how.

They won't. They will help to protect a person and their home in case of riots or civil unrest, which very well could be a consequence of this pandemic, given the unpredictable nature of large groups of frightened people.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1874 said:
    If I get anything it will go for a new fuel pump for my Explorer. Coins are no longer in the top 25 of my priority list.

I enjoy getting my art collections out and thinking about how I can improve them. Money to buy new coin usually not there but nothing to sweat about.

$1000 can buy smoe nice coins no doubt. But maybe the pump quit at the right time, if that is indeed the problem. But if it is it needs to be replaced regardless. Check or no check it won't be impacting coin purchases/budget.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not think I will get a check, but if I get one it will go to savings to pay for the tax increase to pay for the stimulus package.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2020 7:30PM

No check for me either... that's OK now that trillions are being thrown around at least hoping those really affected get the payments. Unemployed by mandated shutdowns and small businesses can use the help. I'm considered essential (at least that's what I'm told) and head back to work Monday. My employer is actually paying 20% bonus for worked time.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully none of you who may be getting a stimulus infusion work for an employer like this.

https://kxan.com/news/austin-company-looking-to-dock-paychecks-for-those-receiving-stimulus-checks/

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2020 6:57PM

I feel no guilt receiving nor others getting a small bail out.

It's always easy to spend OPM.

I would gladly pay more taxes for health care, balanced budget, and debt reduction.

Never going to happen... so get what you can.

The banks and airlines never seem to mind.

$1000+ in grading fees for a bulk submission is an investment.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

@50cCOMMEMGUY said:
    I want to believe that but I’m sure most people thought the same in 1765 and 1861 too.

What a time to be stuck w/ < 10K rounds :'(
    Figured I'd stock up in the spring but Noooooo...Stupid virus.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do bullets get hoarded like TP when a pandemic is going on?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

Something to look forward to: Pictures of my 1909 S VDB when I get it probably later this week.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    CollectorBonEZCollectorBonEZ Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

They are only giving the money to those who gave them money this year or last year. And for those of us who still have to give this year the check is kind of pointless because we will just have to give it right back.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1874 said:
    Do bullets get hoarded like TP when a pandemic is going on?

Apparently so. My father in law who lives in upstate NY a hour north of Syracuse said that Runnings and Walmarts ammo shelves were empty.

• Options

God bless New York.

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭✭

Initial SENDING OUT of the checks is based on either your 2018 or 2019 AGI, depending on what's the most recent they currently have on file for you.

But it is really just an ADVANCE PAYMENT on a 2020 "Refundable Credit".

So............ when you do your 2020 taxes, the amount you will actually ultimately qualify for will be based on your 2020's calculated AGI.

The IRS has already said that if you qualified for more initially based on the 2018/19 figures than you actually were entitled to based on the 2020 filing, they will NOT go after you for any of the overpayment.

On the other hand, if you had your amount reduced from the $1200/$2400 amount initially due to a too-high AGI from your 2018/19 return, but your 2020 AGI calculations would qualify you for a HIGHER amount than you initially received, then you can claim the difference as part of you 2020 tax filing.

That helps out someone who may have had an abnormally high spike in AGI in the year the government happens to refer to in its initial calculations, but had a lower, qualifying amount come 2020's AGI.

Hope this helps!

(Disclaimer: "I'm not an accountant, but I play one on TV...................")

P.S. All you Canadian nationals can ignore this thread... ;) But you're getting your own stimulus package?

• Options

I got my S VDB and am mostly happy with it. It has "wood grain" appearance on both sides. Looks a lot like the first picture of 1909 S in this article shows...
    https://cointalk.com/threads/1909-s-lincoln-wheat-cent-w-woodgrain.299557/

I'm a little disappointed to see that a prong is tightly below V.D.B. on the reverse. Why couldn't that prong position be better so that V.D.B. and surrounding area can be better seen?

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finally got the government welfare was going to use to pay my taxes, maybe use the remainder to add a little metal but opted to buy Steelers seat licenses instead. Been on the season ticket waiting list for 18+ years but wait no longer. Those seats are mine. Thanks uncle sam. Semper Fi!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    CommencentsCommencents Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

Paid off all my debts with the check and since I haven't bought a coin in several months, I bought a couple of really nice ones with the remainder.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

What was the original question?

Oh yea.....not that the question matters, or the fact what you are going to do with it really matters.

I'm going to buy a really nice 2 Cent Piece from someone! I'll show you people when it arrives, and it still won't matter because no one cares about 2 Cent Pieces!

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Made a charitable donation with part of my check, also I am buying my first MS coin from the 19th century. Will post on a new purchases thread when it arrives in late May.

• Options
    edited May 8, 2020 6:59AM

Sent my corona bucks to England.
    Just got the TrueView back this morning. (also my 1st NFC chip slab)

This is a MS66 and not a proof if you can believe it. :o
    It goes in my CAJA DE VEINTE (box of 20)

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone here actually received any money?

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WillieBoyd2 said:

Yes, about 2 weeks ago. I haven’t opted to buy anything just yet. But I may buy an AU58 1832 dime this weekend.

• Options
    edited May 8, 2020 7:26AM

@Gluggo said:
    My Taxes were raised to Pay for all your Stimulus Checks!

They sure didn't waste any time because I just got my Trump bucks on the 15th of last month.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WillieBoyd2 said:

Yep, 2 days ago.

• Options
    LedZeppelinLedZeppelin Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

Hopefully the wife won't mind too much...

There are 3 bad things in the world today - Death, Taxes, and the cover 2. Norm Parker, Iowa football defensive coordinator 1999-2011.
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    My Taxes were raised to Pay for all your Stimulus Checks!

Appreciate you taking one for the team. I will toast you a $9 Iron City at the home opener. Regards!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

No stimulus for me but I purchased a 1653 8 reale from Potosi with a full 4 digit date!

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

My kind Uncle won't gift me any free money. OK Cool, no problem.

BUT, I do have a problem with having MY Tax Refund Money ROBBED from me 2 Years straight.

How is it Their Billionaire Buddies can get Millions all over the place but I can't even get my Tax Refund Money?

Over 2 years I've had $15,000 stolen. Their excuse? WE don't believe you are the one we owe money to. Funny but they CAN take my money out every week. But they can't give any excess back?

ISA. ISA. ISA.

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2020 6:59AM

I've spent it on 2019 ATB S mint bags for change in the apartment building laundry room since all the banks in my area are drive thru only and there's lines and irate bankers on the line. I'm thinking of getting a $250 box of $1 coins from the mint too to avoid the atm as much as I can. The US Mint premium is worth not dealing with my bank and dealing with irate bank customers who I had to notify police and my bank's corporate office about, and I get germ free cash to my door too.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am hearing there could be another round of monies coming up to $2000.00 if Congress approves. Of course this is very early but word has it the Senate is talking about it. This is coming from the Democratic lead House. This time you get paid providing you do not go over $125,000,00 for single status to be paid per month till the pandemic is deemed over. Not sure about married but should be doubled or there abouts.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2020 8:23AM

None. We are in a very dire, unpredictable period.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

First up is the Emergency Money for the People Act, which is potentially the best known of the four proposals. Introduced by Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.) and Rep. Tim Ryan (D-Ohio), the Emergency Money for the People Act would provide up to $2,000 in monthly income to single taxpayers and $4,000 to married couples filing jointly for up to one year. Single filers earning less than $130,000 and married couples filing jointly with less than $260,000 in earnings would qualify for this payout.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2020 1:42PM

@Gluggo said:
    First up is the Emergency Money for the People Act, which is potentially the best known of the four proposals. Introduced by Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.) and Rep. Tim Ryan (D-Ohio), the Emergency Money for the People Act would provide up to $2,000 in monthly income to single taxpayers and $4,000 to married couples filing jointly for up to one year. Single filers earning less than $130,000 and married couples filing jointly with less than $260,000 in earnings would qualify for this payout.

Why work for a living when the federal government will give you and your wife $4000 each month for not working? How can we seriously afford to pay for this wild scheme? :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Gluggo said:

Why work for a living when the federal government will give you and your wife $4000 each month for not working? How can wee seriously afford to pay for this wild scheme? :D

If this passes (it won't hopefully), we are finally buying that plane I've had my eye on! With our kids, we would get $8,000 PER MONTH! That is insane!

• Options

I got the SVDB but am now looking for a '09 S without the VDB. The raw one shown below matches up color-wise and condition-wise with my PCGS 15 '09 SVDB. I will spend up to $100 for a nice 1909 S Lincoln . Please give your opinions. Like this coin? Don't like this coin? Is it authentic?

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give it to my kids who were forced into unemployment (with no unemployment benefits) by the govrnment.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

No check yet!
    So no plans here!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

Zero here. Don’t qualify. Not upset about it either.
    The way I feel about is that it should go to people who ACTUALLY lost their income—they need it.
    For all of those whose income hasn’t changed, you don’t need it And it’s just another payment that adds to the deficit.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

bank boxes of 2020 W quarters.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    happycollectinghappycollecting Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭

Add a few hundred and get a Saint-Gaudens.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...this thread sucks 😂

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file