Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

What is one important thing in the Registry that you would like to see changed?

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me it is when you go to look at a set and it only shows 50 items. If you want more you have to click at the bottom to see more. In the first place why would not want to always see the whole set?!

Please change this to always show the whole set. If you don't want to do this......at least put the choice click at the top of the page and not at the bottom. Causing us to have to go thru the first page again.

PLEASE.

Comments

• CollectorBonEZCollectorBonEZ Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

Less specific set awards so all collectors can have a chance to compete in the achievement leader board if they so choose. The W Quarter Quest and Apollo 11 set awards are too specific and not everyone can afford gold coins or are able to get the W quarters as they are not accessible to all collectors. Specific awards such as these also raise demand, to an extent and Jack up the prices making the market unbalanced.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

A column for Stickers...............just kidding :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CollectorBonEZ said:
    Also being able to post non-pcgs items in a seperate non pcgs showcase. The set registry app always the addition of non pcgs coins, but then there is nothing else we can do with them, they just float around in the inventory. I have a lot of raw coins that I plan on grading in the future and a small handful of ngc slabs that I won in ebay auctions. I would be happy posting the raw coins to a showcase.

I asked about this before several years ago......no go. :/

• bob48bob48 Posts: 449 ✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2019 2:46PM

I have a low ball set and the "What If' feature is not completely correct.
    1) When you use the 'what if' function the grade results are now opposite of what they should be for a low ball set.
    I have a low ball grade of 5.784 use the 'what if' and lower a graded coin and the grade for the set jumps to 67.98. Makes it hard to compare to the next set your chasing.
    2) and you remove a coin from the low ball set and the 'what if' column doesn't update.
    3) Using the 'what if' you get the population of coins graded higher, I have always thought this should be coins grader LOWER.
    4) The heading for the column seem to be wrong .
    copy from Registry page:
    Image Item PCGS # Date Denom Grade PCGS # Pop PCGS # Pop Higher Pop Pop Higher Comments

The 'Pop Higher' I think should be 'Pop Lower'

Seems like the "Pop" column is a duplicate of the "PCGS # Pop' column.

(Sorry the copy/paste function has moved all of the column headers close together. )

5) The word "Grade" is not over the column with the grades, It has jumper over a to what looks like a align right, should be align left in the column.

PCGS needs to look at the 'What If' function and make any changes to correct this program.
    Thanks

Bob

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2019 5:44PM

Every time I hit the back button, the page reloads & then refreshes.
    It's driving me crazy.
    If I want to refresh the page I'll do it myself.
    Also...I'm still stuck on double spaceing :/

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get this cac out, that's what I'd like to see. buh-bye to the great satan.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• CollectorBonEZCollectorBonEZ Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2019 6:46AM

TPG certified slabs combined with an FPG certification like CAC is a way to confirm that a coin is at the stated grade and reasures that anyone investing money in the coin is getting what they are looking for. So the registry adding sets with CAC is a way to promote FPG companies, CAC being the most recognized.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

No MS coins in lowball sets.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scoring problem coins as 1 point seems a bit harsh.

@messydesk said:

I think they get 3 points, but is still silly. I could see getting half. Like if it was detailed as xf you would get 20 points instead of 40.

• savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

I agree with this. Might be a database thing, I’m not sure if Details coins even have a numerical grade available in the PCGS database.

@savitale said:

@messydesk said:

I agree with this. Might be a database thing, I’m not sure if Details coins even have a numerical grade available in the PCGS database.

Probably not. They do ATS. You can see them in the pops, too.

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

add an "ALL ITEMS (COINS)" in the drop downs and as said above "move the selection button at the top of the page"

Kennedys are my quest...

• LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭

The inclusion of NGC graded coins in the registry sets.

I realize my opinion counts very little. However, it is my opinion that NGC coins that DNC should be allowed in the registry at what ever grade at which they would have crossed.... unless the holder were scuffed such that it would be unreasonable for an accurate grade to be assessed.

David

@NorCalJack said:
    I would like to see an option of showing a proof digital album is the format of a capital plastic. So I have a 1940 proof set and if you want a digital album then it looks like a book. Well I would not display a proof set in a whitman style book.

That could be done rather easily I think.

@NorCalJack said:
    I would like to see an option of showing a proof digital album is the format of a capital plastic. So I have a 1940 proof set and if you want a digital album then it looks like a book. Well I would not display a proof set in a whitman style book.

Cool idea. They could "skin" proof sets in various ways, including the format of a US Mint hard pack or soft pack. It becomes trickier for 1999 and later, where the number of coins balloons.

I would like to see all of the "retired sets" moved into their own, separate, category listings. A "retired set" can be

several years old and of course it will not have many current coins included in it. Most of these retired sets have

been broken up and sold.

As an example, if a set is "retired" and has only 100 coins in it at the time of retirement and the up to date registry

set now contains 200 coins, most likely your set is a better on the whole set than the one "retired" but your GPA with

Top Bonuses will be lower. The set that was retired now has a 50% set completion rating ( from my example) but has

a higher GPA with Top Bonuses. This in my opinion keeps many sets from becoming a higher ranked set "of all time"

even though it does list higher in the "current finest" category. Once a "retired set" falls below a 100% completion, it

should be moved out of the "active sets".

I hope that I worded this well but let me know if you would like a clearer understanding of my thoughts.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• robecrobec Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:
    I would like to see all of the "retired sets" moved into their own, separate, category listings. A "retired set" can be

several years old and of course it will not have many current coins included in it. Most of these retired sets have

been broken up and sold.

As an example, if a set is "retired" and has only 100 coins in it at the time of retirement and the up to date registry

set now contains 200 coins, most likely your set is a better on the whole set than the one "retired" but your GPA with

Top Bonuses will be lower. The set that was retired now has a 50% set completion rating ( from my example) but has

a higher GPA with Top Bonuses. This in my opinion keeps many sets from becoming a higher ranked set "of all time"

even though it does list higher in the "current finest" category. Once a "retired set" falls below a 100% completion, it

I hope that I worded this well but let me know if you would like a clearer understanding of my thoughts.
    Wayne

This problem would seem to me to only be affected by Modern coins still being minted. It seems most Registry sets are for coins no longer being minted, such as Morgans, Wheat cents, Mercury dimes, etc. Those types of sets more than likely will not be adding new coins to the Registry. So if one retired his set at 100% 10 years ago, the set would still be at 100% today.

I do understand your point on sets still currently in production though.

• BeefCurry808BeefCurry808 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

I wish to see the exclusion of RD designated cents from the Lincoln wheatback toned registry sets. The other top 25 after the top 5 sets are just red sets that are high enough that they score pretty high up there.

@robec said:

@WAYNEAS said:

been broken up and sold.

Wayne

This problem would seem to me to only be affected by Modern coins still being minted. It seems most Registry sets are for coins no longer being minted, such as Morgans, Wheat cents, Mercury dimes, etc. Those types of sets more than likely will not be adding new coins to the Registry. So if one retired his set at 100% 10 years ago, the set would still be at 100% today.

I do understand your point on sets still currently in production though.

I agree that my thoughts here are only good for "modern" production runs and not for "no longer minted" sets. I hope that PCGS will remove the "retired" coins from the "still in production sets" and move the retired sets that are no longer 100% complete into a different separate listing. I do love my Kennedy sets and can foresee that in time, they too will be replaced by a new half dollar design and become a no longer minted coin. :'(

Kennedys are my quest...

• smalltimesmalltime Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

I would like to see ALL the Kennedy SMS coins in their own set and removed from the basic sets. I say it because I have several top pop business strikes worth hundreds more than an SMS coin but i can't use them in my basic set because a $30 SMS has a higher grade and using my business strikes lowers my set rating.

@smalltime said:
    I would like to see ALL the Kennedy SMS coins in their own set and removed from the basic sets. I say it because I have several top pop business strikes worth hundreds more than an SMS coin but i can't use them in my basic set because a $30 SMS has a higher grade and using my business strikes lowers my set rating.

I would like to see the 1964 SMS coins taken out of all the MS Complete Variety Sets. They belong with the Proof's.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BeefCurry808 said:
    I wish to see the exclusion of RD designated cents from the Lincoln wheatback toned registry sets. The other top 25 after the top 5 sets are just red sets that are high enough that they score pretty high up there.

I had never looked at those sets as toned Lincolns are not my area, but its somewhat comical to see the high power/dollar full red sets listed in there.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭

While I was making a digital album I noticed that when you are zooming in on your coin, the parameter back drop is white.... the same color as PCGS true views. This makes it hard to tell when you’ve gotten the zoom in diameter the correct size. It would be nice if the parameter backdrop were a color other than white. This would reduce the number of times you have to go back and resize and reposition your coins for the digital album.

David

• cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@smalltime said:

I would like to see the 1964 SMS coins taken out of all the MS Complete Variety Sets. They belong with the Proof's.

In my case I do not think the 1964 SMS coins should be allowed in the 1964 mint set - they belong in a '64 SMS set or a Special '64 Variety set. Hanson is using a '64-P Kennedy Half in a regular '64 mint set - somehow this just doesn't seem right.

JMO Ken.

@cointime said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@smalltime said:

In my case I do not think the 1964 SMS coins should be allowed in the 1964 mint set - they belong in a '64 SMS set or a Special '64 Variety set. Hanson is using a '64-P Kennedy Half in a regular '64 mint set - somehow this just doesn't seem right.

JMO Ken.

That shouldn't work. To me that is a PCGS Registry problem.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    To me it is when you go to look at a set and it only shows 50 items. If you want more you have to click at the bottom to see more. In the first place why would not want to always see the whole set?!

Please change this to always show the whole set. If you don't want to do this......at least put the choice click at the top of the page and not at the bottom. Causing us to have to go thru the first page again.

PLEASE.

I rarely look in this forum, saw this topic, and opened it to post EXACTLY THIS.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• labloverlablover Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2020 6:05AM

With regards to the Roosevelt Registry: A higher graded coin (ex: MS68FB) should not be allowed to trump a lower graded (ex: MS67+) non-full band coin in the non-full band registry. This was a suggestion Coinjunkie made in another thread.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

@lablover said:
    With regards to the Roosevelt Registry: A higher graded coin (ex: MS68FB) should not be allowed to trump a lower graded (ex: MS67+) non-full band coin in the non-full band registry. This was a suggestion Coinjunkie made in another thread.

Why wouldn't a 68 trump a 67+??

edited February 26, 2020 9:35AM

@DIMEMAN said:

@lablover said:

Because it's an FB coin in a non-FB Registry.

Let's say the Pop in a date in the non-FB registry is not above 67+. There is no 68 in the date in non-FB. Although there is no extra points awarded for the FB in the non-FB registry, it still trumps the 67+ even though there is no 68 in non-FB. For those who wish to assemble a non-FB set, we get hurt by having FB's in a higher grade when there is not a higher graded non-FB.

You have FB's competing against non-FB's within the non-FB Registry. It's mixing the different POP's together.

Make sense?

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

@lablover said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@lablover said:

Let's say the Pop in a date in the non-FB registry is not above 67+. There is no 68 in the date in non-FB. Although there is no extra points awarded for the FB in the non-FB registry, it still trumps the 67+ even though there is no 68 in non-FB. For those who wish to assemble a non-FB set, we get hurt by having FB's in a higher grade when there is not a higher graded non-FB.

You have FB's competing against non-FB's within the non-FB Registry. It's mixing the different POP's together.

Make sense?

Not really. A 68FB gets 70 points in the FB sets, but only 68 points in the non FB sets. That is still better than a 67+. The bonus 2 points doesn't count in the non FB sets, but 68 is still higher than 67+.

@DIMEMAN said:

@lablover said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@lablover said:

Make sense?

Not really. A 68FB gets 70 points in the FB sets, but only 68 points in the non FB sets. That is still better than a 67+. The bonus 2 points doesn't count in the non FB sets, but 68 is still higher than 67+.

But, it's a 68FB in a Non-FB Registry Set. In the example there is no Non-FB coin graded higher than say a 67+. No FB coin should garner a higher point value then a Non-FB Coin in a Non-FB Registry when it is the highest graded Non-FB coin. Put another way, do not allow FB coins in the Non-FB Registry.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. The 68FB is STILL a 68. You lose the 2 points putting it in a non FB set, but you keep the 68 grade, which to me is 1/2 point higher than a 67+. JMHO

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN , @lablover

Gents,

Unfortunately, I did not make it to Long Beach on account of some ongoing medical issues I'm dealing with, so didn't get to speak with PCGS in person about this topic.

The crux of the matter is that the Registry has one column labelled PCGS # Pop and another labelled Pop. In the case of Roosie dimes, the FB and non-FB coins have a different PCGS #, so the former column will only list the pop for one or the other. The Pop column accounts for both FB and non-FB coins. In the case of FB-only sets, these columns will obviously have identical numbers, and this discussion is moot for those.

Perhaps a compromise solution would be to award a certain bonus for Top Pop coins and half as much of a bonus for Top PCGS # Pop coins which aren't Top Pop. I could probably live with that.

when viewing your inventory, it automatically defaults to your last selection. If your last selection was my active inventory, for many of us it takes a bit of time to load and only then can you select the listing that you wanted like last added items. yes sometimes after you add new inventory it will ask you if you wanted to edit these but that also does not work all the time. I like to see what sets are affected when adding new, higher graded coins. This feature also is a hit or miss.

Kennedys are my quest...

• mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

I would like to see individual coins weighted within type sets. For instance, a Basic type set of US Coins having all the pieces weighted individually. A gold three dollar dated 1854-D should be weighted more than an 1854-O or 1854-P. An 1855-D type 2 should be weighted greater than an 1854-P type 2, and so on for the rest of the coin types. This would differentiate the really good quality sets from the common sets.

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    The inclusion of NGC graded coins in the registry sets. :D

NGC Registry allows PCGS-graded coins again. You can go there if you want this sort of feature?

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

the under staffing of set registry personnel to help solve some serious issues

Kennedys are my quest...

@SetRegistryManager ......David please read these concerns.

• Don't automatically retire sets just because someone hasn't responded to a removal/release request for a sold coin!

I now have 3 sets that have been retired due to 1 coin removal request that got by me. I cannot use any of the coins to regenerate the sets even though I own them!

Isn't it better to just award the cert# to the requestor and not kill someone's whole registry set just because they didn't or couldn't reply ???

• cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

Troll alert...…….

• Not trying to be a troll, but if controversial topics are not your thing then go away. I have one of the top 10 Philadelphia Morgan sets and it was retired because I hadn't updated my registry in a while. I think that's BS - Sue me for not tracking my emails as much as I should. There's got to be a better way. At least my San Francisco set was left alone (#11 for the record)