Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What is one important thing in the Registry that you would like to see changed?

Comments

• Options
    pjppjp Posts: 36 ✭✭

my first post. when I look at my set registry app and look at inventory there is a dollar value. this value will change but I don't know what coin value changed. that is what I would like to see changed. I have 500 slabs so i can't check every one. also what does ttt mean in threads?

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

TTT.

To the top. Used to move the topic up in the forum.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

my first post. when I look at my set registry app and look at inventory there is a dollar value. this value will change but I don't know what coin value changed. that is what I would like to see changed. I have 500 slabs so i can't check every one. also what does ttt mean in threads?

If you go to your inventory, click the bar that shows coins with a price change.

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    pjppjp Posts: 36 ✭✭

excellent, thanks for showing me that. I was trying on the app on my phone and that option is not there

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, thank you WaterSport. I didn't know that either.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to see an added watermark or method used so that scammers can not download pictures and sell coins they do not have off of registry pics.

• Options
    JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2020 12:53AM

@davewesen said:
    I would like to see an added watermark or method used so that scammers can not download pictures and sell coins they do not have off of registry pics.

That method and protection would be Your credit card used to make the purchase...and the ensuing Fraud Case that would result in felony charges against the seller

Felony is a federal offense...punishable by prison sentence for the offender...and You get a full refund

Watermarks are optional by the seller to protect their photos...not a PCGS responsibility

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

Interesting thread. I dont do registry sets and after reading this thread i definitely never will. Way too many issues

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2020 7:53PM

@WAYNEAS said:
    ok since this post is 3pages long....how many suggestions have been
    A: considered
    B: adopted
    C: totally ignored
    have a nice day
    Wayne

admin should at least tell us where and what they are "considering" to adapt or change

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

I would like to see an "option" button similar to " Add these items to all of your existing sets which they match..." that would add true views and or your pictures to all of your digital albums. You would need the album's "Circular Frame" added to the coin certification inventory page. Like a "Fit TV and or your image to all albums". This would be a great time saver for those who have many registry sets with digital albums. :)

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 'reconsideration service' seem to take coins offline for 'top pop bonuses' which ends up giving sets 'updated', changing set rating and rank.

• Options

I find it amusing that...

On 2/082020 I was Set Leader...and dropped nearly 2 dozen positions as "older" Sets were updated
    On July 27th I went from 22nd to 4th when I added a coin that was approved
    Today I'm ranked 25th

So in the spirit of friendly competion...it makes no different when You complete a Proof Set...as long as You start the Set ASAP

You don't need to worry...You can wait 1-5-10 or even 20 YEARS to add new coins and Your rank near the top is preserved

In what other competition does "just completing at You leisure" win back Your top spot??

Why doesn't COMPLETION DATE count in the Rankings??

• Options

I see a few modern proof sets with 20+ people who have perfect number 1 sets with 100% of the coins all grading 70, and you are one of them.

Your best bet for peace of mind is to be happy you are #1, along with the rest of the 20+ listed people you are tied with, and enjoy your coins.

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    I see a few modern proof sets with 20+ people who have perfect number 1 sets with 100% of the coins all grading 70, and you are one of them.

Your best bet for peace of mind is to be happy you are #1, along with the rest of the 20+ listed people you are tied with, and enjoy your coins.

And if You look at the All-Time Finest Ranks...You'll find INCOMPLETE sets that are preserved with a #1 ranking because they are "Retired Sets"

If Completion Date was a tie-breaker...those sets would drop to their proper place in the rankings

• Options

They are already working on the Incomplete issue. It takes time to make sure other problems do not arise.

• Options
    edited November 20, 2020 11:06AM

@Goldminers said:
    They are already working on the Incomplete issue. It takes time to make sure other problems do not arise.

It would seem that is and has been resolved...if You open up a Retired Set You will see it's true ranking - but the Retired Status retains the higher rank ( I cannot imagine a reason that is even a thing - Retired Set?)
    Did they quit collecting once they got to #1 to preserve the rank?

Completion Date as a tie-breaker rule would resolve that and allow rankings to be assessed accordingly

• Options

a way to purge all coins listed on Collector's.com set match pages.

My area of concern (options listed on your registry set page)

Items in Set Composite Print
    What If?
    Edit Digital Album
    Shop For Coins in This Set
    Add Missing Coins to My Want List
    Report a Cert That Should Match This Composite

I am a Kennedy collector and every time I use the "Shop for coins in this set" option, it lists coins that would upgrade my set but when you click on the shop button and the set match page comes up, many of the coins are not Kennedy's. There are foreign coins, different types of half dollars, ASE coins, coins when clicked on that are no longer available, silver coins listed in clad categories, etc.
    If these coin listings could be purged say once a year it would help relieve needless searching. There must be a way that when a seller lists his coin for sale and misplaces it into a wrong set, that they can remove it.
    Any thoughts?

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to see the grade incorporated into the True View images.

It's also difficult to get your coins sized just right for the digital albums. This is because when you're zooming the coins in, the background color is white, it would be nice if you changed the background color to something other than white so you can see when the coin has "filled" the hole completely.

David

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it would be nice to post NGC graded coins within the PCGS registry... for those loyal to PCGS and competitive nature of the registry I think NGC coins could be for display only ... I like the PCGS registry format and outline and it be a nice tool to track and view all collector coins (and to display them to the public as well). I understand that it would be more effort for PCGS to set up but somehow NGC does permit PCGS to be listed in their sets.

It will be interesting to see if the ANA registry ever gets kickoff using NGC registry engine. I assume that is delayed beyond this year

• Options

change all #1 registry sets to having my name along side them >:)

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi. This is a pet peeve and pie in the sky to ever wish for, but it burns me to see an 1853 XF Seated dime is worth as much in registry points as my VG 1873-cc and G6 1874-cc combined.

I have all of the toughest coins certified, some even in middle and upper grades but have certified few of my common dates. This affects ranking and points quite a bit.

PCGS wants to make it fair to those that don't have the key dates, but it doesn't feel fair seen from the other side. I generally enjoy the coins and forget the ranking, but when I think about it, I don't care for it.

• Options

@semikeycollector said:
    Hi. This is a pet peeve and pie in the sky to ever wish for, but it burns me to see an 1853 XF Seated dime is worth as much in registry points as my VG 1873-cc and G6 1874-cc combined.

I have all of the toughest coins certified, some even in middle and upper grades but have certified few of my common dates. This affects ranking and points quite a bit.

PCGS wants to make it fair to those that don't have the key dates, but it doesn't feel fair seen from the other side. I generally enjoy the coins and forget the ranking, but when I think about it, I don't care for it.

The value of a coin changes depending on the demand...someone who is desperate to add Your coin to their collection is apt to be willing to pay more than someone else who has 3 of them

PCGS prices are just a guideline...check the magazine for bragging rights auction prices and compare those to the price guide and You'll see what I mean

Typical pricing is about half of PCGS value at a dealer...but list a rare coin on eBay and hope for a bidding war and You might just be able to finance Your grandkids thru college

I'm waiting for the day when the high bid on eBay for a 2014 Kennedy Gold coin is at $4.50 with 15 seconds remaining in the auction and I'm the only bidder who realizes it...but I seldom hold My breath when I do a search...I can do without it

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is an interesting statistic regarding the Classic Commemoratives. There are 306 collectors (that's a lot!) of the 50 coin set on the PCGS Set Registry and 100 collectors of the 144 coin set on the PCGS Set Registry. Of those two sets, 66 collectors have completed the 50 coin set and only 16 have completed the 144 coin set! The way the 50 coin set is set up by PCGS, the least expensive type coin is treated the same as the most expensive. For example, the Grant with star is equal to the Grant without star. As a result there is no incentive to purchase the better coins unless one is fully commited to the 144 coin set. Few are! Collecting a 144 coins set can be both tiring and overwhelming. Perhaps PCGS should consider a commemorative coin date set to create more interest?

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

I feel NGC is more realistic on awarding points to detailed coins.
    PCGS is way to harsh.

Not everyone can afford high grade scarce coins but can find a nice detailed graded one.
    But you get overly hammered in your registry score.

Maybe PCGS should parse detailed coins into let's say 3 categorys
    Some are really nice, some ave. And some very harshly cleaned
    Give more credit for the nice ones instead of treating all the same.

Krueger

• Options
    PwrHseProPwrHsePro Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

How about when you mark a coin as sold that it auto releases from the registry?

I mainly collect raw Ancients, PCGS Mercury Dimes, and raw CSA'S... but have misc other sets...Jeffhttps://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/set/215647https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/showcase/8378

• Options

@PwrHsePro said:

The problem is 1st, the seller has to mark it as sold. 2nd, not just released from their registry. It needs released from their inventory.

• Options

@Tom147 said:

@PwrHsePro said:

The problem is 1st, the seller has to mark it as sold. 2nd, not just released from their registry. It needs released from their inventory.

Thats fine.... make it simple, if its sold, have it auto released, or prompt them, to say yes or no to releasing it.

I mainly collect raw Ancients, PCGS Mercury Dimes, and raw CSA'S... but have misc other sets...Jeffhttps://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/set/215647https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/showcase/8378

• Options

@PwrHsePro said:

Thats fine.... make it simple, if its sold, have it auto released, or prompt them, to say yes or no to releasing it.

I couldn't agree more. Something needs done. As I've stated in other posts, I've gone through the whole " request, wait, send pictures " routine 60 to 70 times over the last couple years. This is the ONLY issue I have with our hosts.  The rules state " request, wait 3 business days, take pictures, etc. " 

Good luck on a weekend. Sometimes taken a week from receiving a coin to being able to enter it in my set. Not the end of the world, BUT. If you sell a coin, it's no longer yours. REMOVE IT from your inventory.
    Rules state failure to remove a sold coin can cause your set to be removed from Registry. Well, that rule is not being enforced. To our hosts, I say FOLLOW THE RULES.

• Options

I dont sell, but if one has to do 3 things after selling a coin, that is too many. Sold is sold, and I would think that unless predetermined settings are changed, if you mark it sold, everything else should be automatic.

If you've sold it (not pending payment), why wouldnt you want it to be marked sold, be removed from your active inventory, and the certification number released?

• Options

I don't sell either. I did sell a few that I had upgraded. Buyer ( local guy ) had no intentions of starting a Registry set. Removed from my inventory before they left my possession. The way it should be done.

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to make a digital album of my pcgs slab generations.

The slabs are rectangle shaped and coins are round, a bit like "make this square fit in this round hole".
    :s

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, this is really nitpicky, but change "The United States of America" to "USA" in the regions our of consideration for screen real estate when displaying this field.

• Options

I still like to see NGC coins permitted in the sets ... maybe different point structure for those chasing points ... but it would be nice to see what most sets are ... a mixture of slabs

• Options
     Not sure I agree with this one.  No offense, just my opinion.  I know ATS now allows a mix of both.  However, IMO there is a disparity in grading between the two TPG's I really don't think an MS66 from one service is always equal to a MS66 from another service. Emphasis on " always " If they were they would both trade at the same price, which we know doesn't happen.  
    I would be open to a separate category of mixed but I'd like to see PCGS only continue. Maybe I'm biased or different but none of my sets are mixed. 

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2021 1:50AM

It's still going on so I'll say it again- In a number of registry categories some people are still allowed to clog up multiple positions in the available five spots of "All-Time Finest" sections. That should not be allowed.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

@Tom147 said:
    ".... No offense, just my opinion...."

None taken ... just different views ... One thing NGC does that I appreciate is with they have 2 recognition awards where one is based on just the NGC portion of the registry. So they basically have 2 awards for each set - 1 for total points and one for NGC graded only. In case in a top rated set of100% NGC you win both awards for a given set. This might be in the pattern of you your thinking. In any case I am sure PCGS will not stray.

It will be of interest to see how the ANA registry will shape up (NGC is developing that for the ANA)... if and when it roles out ... I think Covid threw a wrench in on the timing.

• Options

I didn't know that about NGC. Thank you. Agree, I think Covid did slow down the ANA registry. I'm looking forward to that.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@retirednow said:

@Tom147 said:
    ".... No offense, just my opinion...."

None taken ... just different views ... One thing NGC does that I appreciate is with they have 2 recognition awards where one is based on just the NGC portion of the registry. So they basically have 2 awards for each set - 1 for total points and one for NGC graded only. In case in a top rated set of100% NGC you win both awards for a given set. This might be in the pattern of you your thinking. In any case I am sure PCGS will not stray.

It will be of interest to see how the ANA registry will shape up (NGC is developing that for the ANA)... if and when it roles out ... I think Covid threw a wrench in on the timing.

Back on the first page I advocated for the inclusion of NGC into the registry, even as you note, if only for viewing purposes and not for awards. That is the reason I use the NGC registry and not the one here, collectors should not have to be restricted to one brand of plastic imho. However I do not ever expect this to happen. As to the ANA registry it will start out pretty much a copy of the NGC registry to start out from the comments I have read so far, I was sad to learn that it will not include ANACS holdered coins. The main difference seems to be what the awards will be.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

My sets will never compete for any awards but I do have my favorite series in NGC Registry. Only have a sparse few ANACS.

• Options

I think you need to make it work...

The last couple days I couldn't get in at all on my computer... dozens of times I checked the box to say I was human....but no Captcha pictures showed... today the same thing... but if you keep clicking, you once in a while get a pic to draw a box around the larger airplane... they don't mean larger airplane, they mean larger picture... and then when you do that, it takes you back to having to click on the human box dozens of more times...

I wish this would get fixed... I visit dozens of other sites with Captcha and this is the only one with problems...

• Options

@HashTag said:
    How about letting enter OUR coin we just bought into OUR registry set. Make the selfish jerk prove he owns it!

Do You know which set has it registered? Do You know the reasons the coins was sold? Why would Your seller even sell a coin registered to someone else? Have You even asked the seller?

Information is key - and it seems You would rather simply rant whine moan groan and complain rather than try to discover the truth

Or are You simply attempting to degrade another collector who may have passed away and didn't leave details about his Set Registry maintenance to inflate Your own ego

If You want to guarantee that You will never again need to do the Request Release procedure...there is a simple way to do that...

Buy raw coins and submit them for grading Yourself

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HashTag said:
    How about letting enter OUR coin we just bought into OUR registry set. Make the selfish jerk prove he owns it!

To which someone who currently owns a coin would say, "make the selfish jerk prove he bought it!" To make matters worse, someone could also harass another collector, especially going into competition cutoff dates, by "stealing" lots of their coins.

• Options

Your "selfish jerk" comment is sufficient to allow everyone to determine who You intended to degrade

Which is why You need to take a step down from Your high horse and deal with it like everyone else

• Options

And as long as You give proper consideration before You insult someone You don't know and don't have reason to degrade...because You really still do not know the reasons requiring the Removal Request

Think before You judge and You'll do fine

Just be sure to update Your final wishes so those left behind know how to handle Your Set Registry...

Because You won't be able to respond with insults to anyone who refers to You in the same way

Your comments should have been made to the Seller who sold You someone else's $5K coin...because the Seller did not own it...and that Seller is now passing the buck to resolve the issue You are having

But this does bring up a possible resolution I was just thinking about that might resolve this before the next purchase...

Have You ever used the "What If" feature of the mobile app to see the results? Does it respond with a Removal Request if the coin is already registered or give an alert to that effect?

Just food for thought before You run into this problem again...because that option (if available) might just resolve this for everyone

Knowing that a Removal Request will be required before You buy a coin is enough reason to think before buying

• Options

What I would like to see especially on newly created modern registry sets, is a requirement to have to list the tracking code which would show the shipping date and the delivery date. This would so help eliminate those out there that post coins to their sets without having ownership or the actual coin in hand as required by PCGS. If the coin is a show / store purchase, a photo copy of the bill of sale with an invoice number. These would also help relieve some of the requests to have a coin removed from someone's inventory. I like to see what set the coin is from and where and when the coin was added to that set. You might be surprised.
    Wayne :)

Kennedys are my quest...