Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What is one important thing in the Registry that you would like to see changed?

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hobby_Hut said:
    Don't automatically retire sets just because someone hasn't responded to a removal/release request for a sold coin!

I now have 3 sets that have been retired due to 1 coin removal request that got by me. I cannot use any of the coins to regenerate the sets even though I own them!

Isn't it better to just award the cert# to the requestor and not kill someone's whole registry set just because they didn't or couldn't reply ???

Like I said...….I don't believe they do this. You need to call customer service.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pocketpiececommems said:
    No MS coins in lowball sets.

In an everyman set you can't have anything higher than a 58. Should be the same for ALL lowball sets MS coins killed the lowball Kennedy halves section

• Options

As a collector of foreign coins, as well as US coins, I would like to see a PCGS Current Value listed for these coins on the inventory page within the Registry. Secondly, I can't wait for the currency section of the registry. I hope that PCGS can make some serious strides in both quicker turnaround on grading currency and on developing the currency registry.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    The inclusion of NGC graded coins in the registry sets. :D

NGC Registry allows PCGS-graded coins again. I don't believe PCGS will ever open up like that, but you never know.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:

@coinbuf said:

NGC Registry allows PCGS-graded coins again. I don't believe PCGS will ever open up like that, but you never know.

I wouldn't want to see this at all. It would delute the brand.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hobby_Hut Look at it from the other side. I've had over 50 coins that I have purchased over the last 18 months that I sent multiple requests for removal ( 1 a day for 3 days ) w/o a response. Have to take dated pictures and send in to our hosts , then wait for them to remove from the previous owner so I can add MY coin to my set. The rules state the previous owner will have his set removed from the registry. A phone call to our hosts can get your sets placed back in to the registry. If sellers would remove the coin when they sell it, problem solved.
    You think it's BS, but thats clearly stated in the rules.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

ok since this post is 2 pages long....how many suggestions have been
    A: considered
    B: adopted
    C: totally ignored
    have a nice day
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

VARIETIES ONLY SETS.
    Like for Mercury Dimes, a set that ONLY allowed the varieties. But the same for every series.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

@norcalgold said:
    Do away with hidden sets. If someone is not willing to have the coins in a set listed, they shouldn't be allowed to put it in the registry. The main idea of the registry is to share collections. Just providing a rank and total points isn't sharing much.

If a set is converted from viewable to hidden, all past awards indicators (blue bars, etc.) should be removed from the listing. Just having hidden sets is bad. Seeing hidden sets with awards is worse.

Agreed...those sets just take up a space the could be occupied by a legitimate set

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:
    when viewing your inventory, it automatically defaults to your last selection. If your last selection was my active inventory, for many of us it takes a bit of time to load and only then can you select the listing that you wanted like last added items. yes sometimes after you add new inventory it will ask you if you wanted to edit these but that also does not work all the time. I like to see what sets are affected when adding new, higher graded coins. This feature also is a hit or miss.

I had this issue too...until I found an easy and simple solution...click Dashboard - click Unassigned Inventory (or Unmatched Inventory...whichever is less) then use the dropdown to see what You want to see...much faster

As for Adding Inventory...check the box to Add To Existing Sets - the page will show what Sets are affected

For Rankings changes click the 3 horiz lines in the upper left (Bic Mac symbol) then click Set Changes

• Options
    HashTagHashTag Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

Bonus points given for single finest top pops or ties according to Coinfacts but doesn't count if it doesn't agree with pop report. Pick one or the other.

• Options
    edited July 29, 2020 9:58PM

REMOVE any slot in Set Registry Proof Sets that was NOT a part of a US Mint issued Proof Set in any year...
    1971 & 1972 Eisenhower Dollars were not a part of those yearly Proof Sets...neither was the 2014 Kennedy Gold...credits for having those coins is already available in Variety Sets

Doing this will not affect current rankings...but will give a clear path to completion (if not perfection) for the next (billion) generations of collectors

Unless there is a forth-coming addition realignment that will add every other coin issue to the Set Registry's Proof Sets - Silver Eagles? Gold Eagles? Platinum Eagles? Commemorative Medals? And everything from Boy Scouts to the new Basketball coins and soft drink pop top coins?

The US Mint tried that with the Prestige Proof Sets in 1983...and discontinued the program in 1997...but none of those Set Registry Proof Sets require those commemorative issues

• Options

It also seems strange that there are Silver Proof Sets that only require Silver coins...yet the Basic Proof Set requires BOTH Clad and Silver coins

The Set Registry Proof Sets should be reorganized to better align with the US Mint Proof Sets each year - US Mint history is clearly not the basis used...but it cannot be dismissed as it is the sole reason for Set Registry

What were they smoking when the Set Registry was created?

• Options

Another example of a non-conforming coin slot is the 2016 Reagan Rev Proof...

It was a single-coin issue...never included in a Proof Set from the US Mint

It certainly belongs and has a slot in the Presidential Proof Set...but it doesn't belong in the 2016 Proof Set

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2020 10:16AM

The PCGS Set Registry should include more Tokens and Medal Sets in the lists of the best Registry Sets annual awards. There are amazingly interesting and historical medal and token sets, that to me are way more challenging to complete than many other modern coin sets.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2020 10:52AM

@norcalgold said:
    Do away with hidden sets.

This one drives me crazy along with sets that have no pictures.

If you get a bonus for a top pop coin, you should get a hit for a coin not TrueViewed.

• Options

When a few people say you don't like hidden sets, do you mean sets where people don't show the public all the individual coin details? Or are you talking about really hidden sets where they do exist, but they do not show up in the public domain at all?

I have more than 50 registry sets that I do not publish so they are "hidden", and/or "retired", where the coins are still all fully in my collection. If I kept them all public, it would really be unfair to other collectors working on modern sets. So hiding those sets seems to be fair to me and whether they had top awards for many years is irrelevant. Past awards should not be removed, because they were earned at the time.

If you are talking about not showing every single detail in a set, that is sometimes done because maybe a person needs only one or two coins to really improve the set into a top 5 category. There are others in the same position who look at set details and if they see someone needs a special coin they raise prices accordingly if they have one available for sale. Unfortunately some set players will go so far as to buy the other top grade coin for sale, even if they have one already, just so the next in line does not get it. This is not a nice way to behave, but it does happen.

There are some very competitive players out there and if someone does not want to show their hand at poker, why should they show all their coin details if they don't want to, for whatever reason. Freedom to choose to me remains the logical approach. No registry change is necessary.

• Options

Most of these sets can't be viewed and they are all #1, bumping Hansen to #2 in most cases. I would like to see the coins but at the same time I also really like NOT seeing Hansen in the #1 spot. At that dollar level, it becomes a big strategy to not show your hand when you have people chasing you. I do understand and appreciate both sides of the discussion though.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/legend/othersets/70644

Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2020 7:44AM

if You want to see Hansen well below the #1 spot...

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/dollars/sacagawea-dollars-specialty-sets/native-american-dollars-proof-2009-present/publishedfinest/5827

As of this post he's #38 thanks to My push to have the 2018 NA Rev Proof added a couple weeks ago

That will only last until he realizes it and adds his coin...so revel in the glory until then

• Options

@JonJet said:
    I disagree on every level...if You are proud enough to register Your sets You should be required to Publish them...

Seriously, I do not have sets in the registry because I am proud, which seems to motivate you since you mention it. I use the registry to keep track of my inventory, without any others needing to see it for any reason. I have literally dozens of number one modern sets hidden, because they are only for my interest.

• Options

@JonJet said:
    I disagree on every level...
    I think "saving" a Retired Set should also be discontinued - if You don't own the Set it does not deserve a spot in the Rankings

If You owned one car of every year in a particular make/model...could You still claim ownership and pride if You sold some?

Did you not read my posts? I still own every one of these coins and NEVER sold any of them. I retire or hide them so others have a chance to participate.

The registry is a valuable collection tool. Helps to keep track of things. It is not meant to be something that causes so much outrage. I like it just the way it is.

• Options
    edited August 11, 2020 9:05PM

"Retiring" a Set preserves Your ranking spot in the all-time rankings...

"Hiding" a Set does the same thing to the Current Rankings

So explain just how You are giving others the opportunity to participate?

Your Rankings are preserved by the system...if a new collector a generation from now sees no clear path to a Top Rank Set...they will likely lose interest once they realize they are forever relegated to the bottom pages

In just 8 1/2 months...I have become a Set Leader (which I quickly lost) and now have just 6 Top Rank Sets - but only 1 of those Sets is currently on the Top 20 page...and when those who ranked higher previously upgrade their sets - Mine will fall page after page

Evidently Completion Date means little to nothing - the current system protects the Good 'Ol Boys Club and I can assure You that I will endeavor (with others) to get that changed - for the future of Set Registry generations to come

For the moment...I'll agree to disagree and take credit for the creation of 200+ Set Registry slots to keep the Top Dogs on their toes...and if they don't stay with it they'll drop to pages 2 and 3 or lower

• Options
    edited August 12, 2020 10:47AM

@Jonjet

I have confirmed that when I "hide/unpublish" my sets the way I am talking about, they do NOT show up in the All time #1 spot and they do not show up in the current finest slots. I have many existing "unpublished" sets so that I can keep track of them and they DO NOT prevent you or anyone from getting a slot in a database.

Yes, I do still see a bunch of my old #1 sets I retired in the all time rankings, but I retired them that so that people can compete in CURRENT rankings. Yes, they are still in the All time finest listings, but I still own them all, so are you saying I need to sell them to make you feel the current system is fair? Also FYI, every coin in a retired set is blocked from being used in a current set, so they do not still compete with current sets or other users.

This is a hobby. If you want to have 103 sets, that is fine by me and congratulations, as many look to be very nice sets of a lot of modern coins even if they are not on the top of the page.

Edited to add the 2006 proof set you just perfected puts you in the TOP #1 All time Rankings, so are you now one of the Good Old Boys Club, too? Well done. :)

• Options

@JonJet said:

Evidently Completion Date means little to nothing - the current system protects the Good 'Ol Boys Club and I can assure You that I will endeavor (with others) to get that changed - for the future of Set Registry generations to come

Actually the publish date and completion do matter and the rules are clearly established:

Welcome to the PCGS Set Registry®. Each series in the Registry is divided into two parts. The initial page lists the average grade, state of completion, and set rating of each set in two categories, All-Time Finest (ATF) and Current. The ATF contains both current and retired sets. The Current category contains only current sets. If the set is listed as "viewable," the second page displays each item registered in the set and, if added by the owner of the set, images and descriptions. Members may make their own comments about their sets. PCGS experts reserve the right to edit set names, comments, and coin descriptions.

All Time Finest and Current Sets
    Each set listed as current is comprised of PCGS coins certified in accordance with our usual standards. A PCGS coin is defined as a coin CURRENTLY encased in a PCGS holder.

In order to list your set as current, you must own and have physical possession of the coins you are listing or be an agent with permission to represent a collection. (Possession may include items being held in your safe deposit box or items which you have consigned to auction.) A coin is not considered owned by you if you have sold it to another, regardless of buyback or return policies. Furthermore, this coin should be removed from your inventory and sets. If the same coin should return to your possession and you regain ownership, you then have the option to relist it in the registry.

You should retire a set from Current status when you have sold or broken up your set. To retire a set, simply delete the entire set and inventory in "My Sets." (Note that if you delete items from your set one by one, it will also reduce your ATF set completion.) If your set was at least 90% complete at the time of deletion, it will remain in the All Time Finest category and will be listed with a "viewable" status. If you still own the coins in a retired set that was 90% complete at the time of retirement and the set remains in the All Time Finest category, those same certification numbers cannot be re-used by you in a new set you may start in the same category. Should you wish to re-use those coins, please contact customer service first to delete the All Time Finest set from the Registry.

Ties
    Sets are date-stamped according to the first date they are submitted for publication. In case of a tie the set which reaches the number one spot with 100% completion first will remain in the number one spot regardless of the set's first validation date. The following logic is used:

Highest rating NOW
    Highest rating EVER
    Highest rating ever DATE
    As an example:

Set #1 with the highest rating goes to the top slot.
    If set #2 ties set #1's rating, then set #1 remains in the top slot regardless of the first or last published date.
    If set #2 updates set to beat #1's rating, then #2 will take the top slot.
    If set #1 ties #2, #2 remains in the top slot because that set achieves the highest rating first.

• Options

I have read the rules...and will take up My issues with them with Set Registry...as well as the numerous Slots that have been created that do not make sense

• Options
    edited August 19, 2020 7:53AM

I really respect Hansen for publishing his set with TrueViews.
    He has a good eye and I suspect that he has passed on upgrades because he didn't like the higher graded coin.

Regardless...I think it is beneficial for the community to be able to see and study someone else's coins.
    That's why my set is 100% TrueViewed and linked in my sig line.

• Options

@ReadyFireAim said:

I really respect Hansen for publishing his set with True Views.
    He has a good eye and I suspect that he has passed on upgrades because he didn't like the higher graded coin.

Regardless...I think it is beneficial for the community to be able to see and study someone else's coins.
    That's why my set is 100% True Viewed and linked in my sig line.

Yes, I totally agree, when it is feasible to get them all that way, My National Commemorative Medals of the United States Mint Registry set is almost 100% True View for the same reason. I want everyone to be able to see all the very high end examples of many official US Mint medals they never knew even existed. That is why I have a digital album and a gallery available for viewing.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/medals-tokens/national-commemorative-medals-united-states-mint-1940-present/alltimeset/195526

• Options

@ReadyFireAim
    You mentioned your set linked by sig line. I tried to view your "My Saint Set", but did not see it linked, only the name so I could not see it yet.

• Options
    edited August 22, 2020 7:37AM

@Goldminers said:
    I tried to view your "My Saint Set", but did not see it linked, only the name so I could not see it yet.

It works when I click on it.
    Anyone else get a dead link?

• Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your hyperlink works for me.

• Options

@cointime said:

Where is the link you found? I don't know what a sig line is I guess. As Schultz would say, I see nothing.

• Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

@cointime said:

Where is the link you found? I don't know what a sig line is I guess. As Schultz would say, I see nothing.

GM,
    There is a fine line at the bottom of each thread. Like under mine you see the words "My Washington Type B/C Set". Once you hover your mouse pointer over it (assumption is you are on a PC) the link is shown in the bottom left hand corner of your browser when your (or in my case) mouse pointer turns into a hand with the index finger pointing. Left click on it and it will open another tab/web page :) Hope this help :)

Ken

• Options

@cointime said:
    GM,
    There is a fine line at the bottom of each thread. Like under mine you see the words "My Washington Type B/C Set". Once you hover your mouse pointer over it (assumption is you are on a PC) the link is shown in the bottom left hand corner of your browser when your (or in my case) mouse pointer turns into a hand with the index finger pointing. Left click on it and it will open another tab/web page :) Hope this help :)

Ken

Thanks!!, Ken

I did not know that was a link. It does work. I was looking at profiles.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@sedulous said:

@coinbuf said:

@sedulous said:

@coinbuf said:

The NGC allows PCGS-graded coins but not World Gold at this time.

[Hope I do not offend anyone but I like the Set Registry pretty much the way it is, with no suggestions for improvement at this time.]

• Options

[Hope I do not offend anyone but I like the Set Registry pretty much the way it is, with no suggestions for improvement at this time.]

• Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

I say if you just missed being top dog..... They give you coins that make you top next time. YEAHHHHHH

Dan
  • Options

I would like to see some recognition of #2 graded sets. There are some superb second-place sets out there! Too often, one dedicated collector has a lock on #1, so this would create an incentive for others to complete and upgrade their sets. This would be a win-win for both collectors and for PCGS. To give one specific example of such recognition: perhaps a couple annual gold awards could be reserved for the best second place US sets, and a couple others for the best second place "world" sets.

• Options

@Rakehell said:
    I would like to see some recognition of #2 graded sets. There are some superb second-place sets out there! Too often, one dedicated collector has a lock on #1, so this would create an incentive for others to complete and upgrade their sets. This would be a win-win for both collectors and for PCGS. To give one specific example of such recognition: perhaps a couple annual gold awards could be reserved for the best second place US sets, and a couple others for the best second place "world" sets.

There is an incentive for getting in the top 5, being able to get your name on the slab labels.

• Options

Hello, I am new to using the Set Registry, but I have been working with some coins I inherited a few years back. I understand the competitiveness of building and showing sets and I get it. Some day when I am finished cataloging the coins I have, I can shift focus to this aspect. What I would like to see is better tools for managing and organizing my own collection. I have over 1000 ungraded coins and find great satisfaction in organizing and cataloging what I have. Up to this point I used US Coins but I think I have reached it's limits. I imported my collection into the Set Registry but it seems lacking in some organizational features when you just want to enjoy your own collection, graded or not.

• Options
    dsheadshea Posts: 6
    edited September 11, 2020 7:38AM

Specifics:
    1. Visual indication when you are showing the PCGS Coin value vs. one you entered yourself
    2. Pull down list of coin grades based on the standards
    3. Precious metal value based on current spot
    4. User defined fields for things like a users numbering system, How/where it is stored.
    5. The ability to filter on the issue instead of just date or denom. ie: Morgans, Ikes, Lincolns.
    6. The ability to use wild cards or "contains" in search and filters.

Thanks, let me know if this isn't the right thread or category for this.

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

I, as others have already posted would like to see only one set per person in each registry set.

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options

@Goldminers said:

@JonJet said:

Actually the publish date and completion do matter and the rules are clearly established:

Welcome to the PCGS Set Registry®. Each series in the Registry is divided into two parts. The initial page lists the average grade, state of completion, and set rating of each set in two categories, All-Time Finest (ATF) and Current. The ATF contains both current and retired sets. The Current category contains only current sets. If the set is listed as "viewable," the second page displays each item registered in the set and, if added by the owner of the set, images and descriptions. Members may make their own comments about their sets. PCGS experts reserve the right to edit set names, comments, and coin descriptions.

All Time Finest and Current Sets
    Each set listed as current is comprised of PCGS coins certified in accordance with our usual standards. A PCGS coin is defined as a coin CURRENTLY encased in a PCGS holder.

In order to list your set as current, you must own and have physical possession of the coins you are listing or be an agent with permission to represent a collection. (Possession may include items being held in your safe deposit box or items which you have consigned to auction.) A coin is not considered owned by you if you have sold it to another, regardless of buyback or return policies. Furthermore, this coin should be removed from your inventory and sets. If the same coin should return to your possession and you regain ownership, you then have the option to relist it in the registry.

You should retire a set from Current status when you have sold or broken up your set. To retire a set, simply delete the entire set and inventory in "My Sets." (Note that if you delete items from your set one by one, it will also reduce your ATF set completion.) If your set was at least 90% complete at the time of deletion, it will remain in the All Time Finest category and will be listed with a "viewable" status. If you still own the coins in a retired set that was 90% complete at the time of retirement and the set remains in the All Time Finest category, those same certification numbers cannot be re-used by you in a new set you may start in the same category. Should you wish to re-use those coins, please contact customer service first to delete the All Time Finest set from the Registry.

Ties
    Sets are date-stamped according to the first date they are submitted for publication. In case of a tie the set which reaches the number one spot with 100% completion first will remain in the number one spot regardless of the set's first validation date. The following logic is used:

Highest rating NOW
    Highest rating EVER
    Highest rating ever DATE
    As an example:

Set #1 with the highest rating goes to the top slot.
    If set #2 ties set #1's rating, then set #1 remains in the top slot regardless of the first or last published date.
    If set #2 updates set to beat #1's rating, then #2 will take the top slot.
    If set #1 ties #2, #2 remains in the top slot because that set achieves the highest rating first.

Here's My issue in a nutshell...

Rankings/Ratings and the position held by any collection is NOT by Completion Date

If I am the first one to add a new coin to a Proof Set and no other collector has that coin added...I become the Top #1 position...

However...

If the previous #1 set upgrades his collection by adding that single coin (even 10 YEARS) later...he goes above Me

In the real world...nobody wins a race by sitting in the pit or the garage...if You get to the front of the pack...You win...You can't claim the win after getting repairs done using the excuse that You were in first place before You went to the garage

Which is why My comment above about the Boys Club still holds true

• Options

.> @JonJet said:

I have read the rules...and will take up My issues with them with Set Registry...as well as the numerous Slots that have been created that do not make sense

The PCGS registry phone number: 877-888-1318.

• Options

There is a clear cut off date stated for anyone competing with Registry sets.
    There does not seem to be a clearly posted date for the annual announcement of winners with any sense of accountability or even an appearance of concern at PCGS. It is very loosey-goosey for PCGS, with very rigid guidelines, timelines, and standards for Registry Set participants. If a stated guideline is missed by PCGS, there is little or no follow up, no update, nothing but hurry up and wait.

• Options
    dabrindabrin Posts: 14 ✭✭

I really love the comparing coins in my registry set in the Digital Album view but wish that my CAC certified coins could be highlighted with a little CAC icon in the upper right of the coin - the "Sticker" column for each coin has this handy. Also, it would be cool if there was an option to show the current value under the grade of each coin. It probably should be optional since some wouldn't like to show that to everyone. Is there anyone else that would like to see these two additions? Here's my registry set digital album view: https://pcgs.com/setregistry/album/140888

• Options

@dabrin
    That is a really excellent set of Lincoln's and photos.

• Options
    dabrindabrin Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited October 20, 2020 8:33PM

Thanks @Goldminers. All the photos are taken by myself with the help of my Ray Parkhurst built camera setup.