Options

My Quest To Build A Graded 1983 Topps Baseball Set

Comments

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2019 8:20PM

@mrpeanut39 said:

@GDM67 said:
    Good luck with the Terry Harper. That's rather low pop in PSA 10.

You're the Braves guy. Do you have the Horner or Niekro in PSA 10? They both must be corner of the sheet. Centering is just atrocious on both of them.

Don't have a Horner and my Niekro is a PSA 9.

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brett, do you have a list of PSA 10s you're still in need of?

Andy

Andy

• Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

The easiest way to check would be on the set registry. My set is called Mr. Peanut's 1983 Topps Set or something along those lines. I know this is 2019, but someone more tech savvy than I would have to post a link.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2019 7:24PM

@mrpeanut39 said:
    The easiest way to check would be on the set registry.

Makes sense. Thanks, Brett. Good luck with your quest. A most marvelous quest it is, sir.

Andy

Andy

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/company-sets/1983-topps/publishedset/60531

A link to your set. Good luck with it and thanks for posting along the way!

Nathanael

• Options

Thank you for the link.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options

Next up is a Michigan wax box. I purchased the box off of eBay in September for $265.

I think I've had some pretty good luck this year, but this was a horrible box. In each pack when the sequence broke, the bottom half of the pack had an atrocious tilt cut.

The other half of the pack was no better with mainly poorly centered cards. I did pull a Sandberg and a Boggs.

Only two candidates for the grading pile, and I pulled the Rose out of the very first pack. I think the eye tends to get poisoned somewhat when the tilts are so bad and maybe you start to see everything with a tilt, so I may take a fresh look at some of these later on.

The final box of the year will be another vending box. The box is from the same source as the one I had such good luck with so I'm hoping for good things.

• Options
    tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Great stuff as always Brett!
    I’m horribly still sloooowly chipping away at my set.

• Options

This is a fine, fine hunt. Very much enjoy your enthusiasm and resiliency. One of these days I'll be doing this for 1984 Topps. Keep it up, Brett.

Andy

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of questions. Once you have a "10" of a card , do you keep subbing
    others? What happens to the cards that are up-graded? Do you sell or trade them?

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2019 7:22PM

This so reminds me of my 1978 Topps quest I started 15 years ago. It’s so awesome still seeing this type of passion for a single more modern complete set!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

I appreciate the positive words guys.

Tibor, if I hit a PSA 10 on a card, I stop submitting unless: it's a HOFer, it's a low pop (single digits), or it's a card I received in a trade and therefore didn't submit myself. As for the cards that are upgraded, I think I have some hoarding tendencies as I've kept all of them.

• Options

@mrpeanut39 Thanks for the reply. You must have an abandoned box
    store where you keep everything! ;);)

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

Great job Brett !!!

" In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome results, congrats on the poppage. One of my favorite threads ever on the CU Forum.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

Brett, what's the PSA 10 count for your set? I love this quest. Keep it going, man.

Andy

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have really developed an exceptional eye for ths set, Brett! Congrats on these results!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Great eyes on these. Really like how you're tracking this. Kudo's on your quest.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

Great results. You really do have a great eye. can't wait for
    the next update.

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

I love your patience

• Options

Here's a couple of scans from the latest sub.

I was off on my count a couple posts above. I'm actually at 300 PSA 10's and 316 PSA 9's. That's about 78% of the set in graded form.

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

Brett , great looking cards .

" In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options

Just keeps getting better. You've got a great eye for quality!!

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous cards...thanks for sharing the clear scans. Those are stunning!

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Great looking cards and scans. What scanner do you use? 😀

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

@ldferg said:
    Great looking cards and scans. What scanner do you use? 😀

Like many on the board, I've got an Epson V37. I haven't tinkered with it at all. Still using the factory settings.

Also, thanks to all for the kind words.

• Options
    _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

Great job so far. This was my favorite set design for 80s baseball sets, and seeing them in PSA 10 cases makes me appreciate them even more. Keep it up.

• Options

Gorgeous cards from the best set of the 80s. Always love seeing an update to this top thread. Thanks for sharing Brett. BTW, do the non rookie HOFERS command any money in a 10?

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

John, I don't follow pricing too much, but in general I'd say most non-rookie HOFers can be had for $25 bucks or so in PSA 10. I'm sure there are exceptions. Ripken probably goes for more than that. Ryan maybe? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

I, too, have bid on and won similar lots of vending boxes where only a few specific cards have been pulled. I think the idea that they've been "searched" scares others away, but they've turned out to actually be amongst some of the best purchases that I've made. Good luck on pulling some more gems from the remaining boxes!

• Options

Brett, great score on those vending boxes. And great news that your quest continues. I'm looking forward to more posts. Good luck!

Andy

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck and seems like the cherry picked vending boxes might be the way to go.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s awesome to see this journey still alive! It sure does get tough once purchasing unopened to rip passes the threshold of of financial viability. I can attest to that for sure.

Good luck!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is a lot of 83 topps cards. if you want to part with a box or two of those cards I would like to buy them from you. I am trying to upgrade my raw set. thank you.

• Options

how much of the set do you have in psa 10 grade. I have been reading this post since you started it has been great looking a the 83 set.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Love. This. Thread.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭

Do you sell off the lesser cards in bulk lots on ebay? Sell complete sets? Sell nothing?

• Options

@lwehlers said:
    how much of the set do you have in psa 10 grade. I have been reading this post since you started it has been great looking a the 83 set.

I have an even 300 graded PSA 10 with 316 PSA 9's that I'm trying and hoping to upgrade.

• Options

@coinspacks said:
    Do you sell off the lesser cards in bulk lots on ebay? Sell complete sets? Sell nothing?

I'm a hoarder by nature. I think I've sold one or two complete sets and a rack pack with Sandberg on top. Also made a handful of trades. Otherwise, I've kept everything else. Three or four years ago I did break down and throw away a lot of my empty boxes. Here's a picture before I made a trip to the dumpster.

• Options

@mrpeanut39 said:

@lwehlers said:

I have an even 300 graded PSA 10 with 316 PSA 9's that I'm trying and hoping to upgrade.

impressive. I still thank you for the nines that you sold me about two years ago.

• Options

One of my favorite threads of all time! Love the 83 set and this multiyear journey you have shared with all of us. I would have to imagine that this 6 box lot at that price could be the best bang for the buck you have had yet. Good luck on pulling those dimes!

John

• Options

Great thread, came across this and got hooked on your journey. I have dozens of boxes of 83’s and 84’s and you motivated me to go through them again. Im two weeks in and I have even more respect for your patience and passion in your quest!

Are there any cards in 9 or 10 that have remained elusive for you? I know some are notorious for centering issues. By now you must be close to a full set. Keep it up! Thanks for posting!!!

~Justin

• Options

Thanks.

When I'm done ripping for the year, I'd like to go through all my subs and my pile of cards to be subbed and figure out just how many cards in the set I've never found a single copy of that was gradeworthy. I really have no idea how many that'd be. 100?

Throughout the thread, I try to mention cards I've found particularly tough. A couple that come to mind right now would be the Bob Lillis and Doug Flynn cards.

• Options

Opened the third box of the vending lot. This was the 2nd box that had the snaptite case with stars inside. Overall a very good box. In the snaptite case, I found the following cards to be gradable.

I won't even say anything about Garvey not being a HOFer. That card is a beast to find centered and I'm very happy to land it.

In addition to the cards pictured below, there were 10 or 12 cards I already had in PSA 10 that I didn't include.

Similar to the Garvey, there were several cards I pulled that are very tough to find with good centering including the Tekulve Super Vet, the Gorman Thomas and the Phil Niekro which has been mentioned previously in this thread.

This continues to be a very nice lot.