Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"Official" I got the "Golden Ticket" enhanced reverse proof silver eagle COA thread

OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 16, 2019 8:13PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Has anyone gotten one of the 100 signed COA from the enhanced reverse proof silver eagles yet? Can't wait for mine to arrive to see if I'm one of the lucky "Golden Ticket" winners!

Comments

• Options

i don't think anyone has received their coin yet. A lot haven't even shipped.

• Options

I thought the people in Baltimore who stood in line for one might have gotten theirs and opened them up to look. But, when they do start coming in from the shipments I believe there will be some excitement if they were the chosen ones. I know I'd be excited!

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2019 12:42PM

Perhaps this was the motive for PCGS's move to slab COA's.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 465 ✭✭✭

The 4 COAs I saw at the Baltimore show are in the 6xxx and 22xxx numbers in consecutive orders.

• Options

now this is the "official" thread on this subject. B) I'm curious when the first announcement of one of these special signed certs will be. apparently nothing out of Baltimore that we know of.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think he was signing all the COAs at the show... wonder how those will compare in value to the first 100 that are signed?

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boy, this really cuts down on the likelihood of keeping it sealed is a good idea.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2019 8:48PM

There was one with super radar repeater /COA 07070 at the Baltimore show. It was sold for $3,200 on ebay.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

So would the autographed ones show the autograph through the new PCGS COA slab? Where were the manual signatures?

• Options
    TequilaDaveTequilaDave Posts: 271 ✭✭✭

Esh...just when I was feeling great about being one of the few to get their order in, and now I see this tread. :/

• Options

@MilesWaits said:
    Boy, this really cuts down on the likelihood of keeping it sealed is a good idea.

I agree. I'm just waiting for good old @CaptainHenway to find that some of them were struck with pattern dies in the vein of the cheerios dollar or something. :D That way the threads would never die.

• Options

@TurboSnail said:
    There was one with super radar repeater /COA 07070 at the Baltimore show. It was sold for $3,200 on ebay.

It's funny, he calls it coin "#6" in his ebay post. But really, it's number 7,070. (he was 6th in line)

• Options

so, why did Baltimore get a special walk up deal and not San Francisco? just curious.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2019 9:12PM

@jwitten said:

@TurboSnail said:

It's funny, he calls it coin "#6" in his ebay post. But really, it's number 7,070. (he was 6th in line)

Yes. 6th in line worth nothing. This lot might had sold for more if the seller stated this signed trophy/ serial# upfront.

• Options

latest Ebay sale for this combo of Pf70 and signed COA is $3950.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2019 7:51AM

What's with the magic marker check mark on the front?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2019 9:16AM

Yep they ruined it with the check mark! Lowers the value just with the marker graffiti.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

The check mark probably indicates it has been used to purchase one in Baltimore. These are the "in line" tickets given to those standing in line to prevent line cutters.

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    Yep they ruined it with the check mark! Lowers the value just with the marker graffiti.

I don't think that was the COA. I think that was the ticket that was handed to him in line at Baltimore to pick up the order. Notice it says "6" while the COA has "07070."

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I understand, you had to stand in a line to get them signed. The sets were not sealed either....just handed to you in a mint bag and if you shook it around I'm sure the coin would come out of the box!

@jwitten said:
    I think he was signing all the COAs at the show... wonder how those will compare in value to the first 100 that are signed?

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pcgs requires mint sealed boxes to get the COAs slabbed. So if they were opened they cannot get those slabbed..

• Options

@thebigeng said:
    Pcgs requires mint sealed boxes to get the COAs slabbed. So if they were opened they cannot get those slabbed..

Was the rule any different for onsite? On site they may have been able to let you open it, get it signed, etc.

• Options

Did I misunderstand about these signature COA's? I thought they were randomly being placed in the packaging that was being mailed out, not just hand signed for the privileged people in Baltimore. Someone set me straight. I was hoping to get lucky, but now unsure if there's even a chance.

• Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

@Onedollarnohollar said:
    Did I misunderstand about these signature COA's? I thought they were randomly being placed in the packaging that was being mailed out, not just hand signed for the privileged people in Baltimore. Someone set me straight. I was hoping to get lucky, but now unsure if there's even a chance.

The first 100 were signed and that’s what’s being shipped out at random. But people who bought it in Baltimore had the chance to have theirs signed too.

• Options

@JohnnyCache said:
    Wow is all I can say.

Thx for the picture.
    I was under the impression that if the COA is NOT submitted and slabbed in conjunction with the coin by PCGS, the graded coin WOULD NOT have a COA serial number? Am I correct?

Or PCGS just gonna COA numbered any coin if requested (providing COA proof of course)?

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thx for the picture.
    I was under the impression that if the COA is NOT submitted and slabbed in conjunction with the coin by PCGS, the graded coin WOULD NOT have a COA serial number? Am I correct?

Or PCGS just gonna COA numbered any coin if requested (providing COA proof of course)?

As best I understand it, if you don't send in the completely un-opened, mint delivered box directly to PCGS they will not slab your numbered COA certificate to match your slabbed coin.

PCGS states the following:
    "For each sequentially numbered COA from the Mint, PCGS will process the coin and COA in tandem for certification. The new service entails the encapsulation of both contents in separate slabs that are paired with a declaration of the matching common serial number on their respective certification labels."
    "PCGS will not be encapsulating COA’s at the Baltimore show, but we will be accepting submissions at the show to have your COA encapsulated in-office. Both the coin and COA will need to be submitted together for take home service. If you elect to have your coins graded and returned on-site at the show you will not be able to submit the COA to be paired with the coin at a later date."

The coin depicted above is one of the 500 that was available at the Baltimore show for direct distribution to the public who waited in line for one.

The rules stated above in italics still applied to the coin above.

The coin was slabbed at Baltimore show, the coin slab has the COA# on its label, but because the owner of said coin chose to have the coin and the COA returned to them immediately after pcgs slabbed the coin in Baltimore, instead of having both the coin and the COA transferred back to PCGS in California, only the coin was eligible for slabbing. Without a change in PCGS policy, that coin's COA certificate is now no longer eligible to be slabbed by PCGS.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2019 1:43PM

It's not really clear to me if pcgs will add a COA# to a coin slab at a later date.
    I would think not, as it could add too much confusion if non slabbed COA's are later separated from their original coin.
    Clearly pcgs won't slab the COA unless it is sent in with the coin in the original unopened box.

• Options
    edited November 18, 2019 1:48PM

Thank you...but my question referred to having the serial numbered on the graded coin without the COA slabbed.
    Doesn't address that part so seem unclear to me.

Maybe only the Baltimore on-site submittals have this option?

• Options
    edited November 19, 2019 9:35AM

so, what you're saying (quoting dumb and dumber) is... I have a chance. (at getting a signed coa).

• Options

not many reports of the special signed coa's yet. I wonder how many people that ordered these eagles aren't aware of them and their value. I just want to get my package and open her up to see.

• Options

@Onedollarnohollar

What about updating the first post with numbers 1 to 100 and then crossing them off when we hear about certain numbers being found?

Great Deals Buying and Selling: Metalsman, BobSav, Rick300, endzone, Swampboy, somecoins, Musca, commoncents05, Refrema, tonyhar, joebb21, kalshacon, JeremyDie1, percyb, scrapman1077, indiananationals, wondercoin, pragmaticgoat, tonedSilver, theboz11, Timbuk3, bigmarty58, HCumberdale, jp84, OnlyGoldIsMoney, UNLVino, coinguy1989, drewsef, coindeuce, pjcoins, giorgio11, Sullykerry52, KollectorKing, privatecoin, jclovescoins, Smittys, bronco2078, ajaan, jdmern, bidask, jrt103, CoinPhysicist, bigjpst, OKCC, Skanderbeg, pruebas, dizzlecc, MasonG, spummybum, SurfinxHI, snowequities

• Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

with the prices so high, I'll send mine to PCGS to see how luck I can get. (not very I'm sure)

Imagine a top 10 or 100 with a 70 , would be worth it....

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

I just don't get the COA slab thing...guess I'm in the minority but it just sounds like a gimmick...a gimmick that some will pay bucks for of course.

If I get a signed COA that's cool but the coin is my thing....and I WILL open the box up to find out

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2019 12:48PM

Some of the COAs will add good value, most will be desired for resale.
    I understand the slabbed/attributed COA number, Just wait until 8 diferent COAs show up on eBay,
    all with number 00002.
    They likely won't be very hard to counterfeit!

That's probably one of the reasons why PCGS requires the sealed box to attribute COA, even if you don't want COA slabbed

I wonder how many valuable COAs will go unattributed, which will never be declared?

Just my guess

(l8-)>>

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait, did Babe Ruth come back from the dead and now signs as the mint director?
    Why, oh why, is there ANY premium attached to a signed COA?
    This makes no sense whatsoever unless s/he is a celebrity for some reason and even then not a lot....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

@7Jaguars said:
    Wait, did Babe Ruth come back from the dead and now signs as the mint director?

I agree with you, but in reality there will likely be a bidding war over the lowest number, That's probably the reason for the gimmick.

(l8-)>>

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

So what happens if someone opens theirs to find cert #2 or 3, or 11,111, or 12,345, etc. Are they just out of luck on the secondary market since it "isn't official"?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    edited November 19, 2019 2:38PM

I would think that the number on the cert is the "thing"..the coins are all the same so a PF 70 ERP with a #4 cert would get some interest. Yes, no umbilical cord connecting the two but the cert # is the "thing"

There could even be a market just for the low numbered certs....weird but definitely possible

• Options

So what happens if someone opens theirs to find cert #2 or 3, or 11,111, or 12,345, etc. Are they just out of luck on the secondary market since it "isn't official"?

I believe it will be as official as you want it to be, but when somebody else (from China) sells the same one you got from the mint... or if 8 people all try to sell number 00004....... I expect to keep mine sealed, then let PCGS slab it, just to preserve the integrity of my COA (probably number 28462). in the mean time I'll enjoy watching the numbers game play out.

(l8-)>>

• Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Any pictures of opened boxes with one of 100 signed COA's yet?

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options

Does anyone know if all of these coins were struck from the same pair of dies? Were the first 100 really the first hundred struck? Different die? I'm thinking of an unlikely but potential score much like the Cheerios dollar.

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did all the COA's signed at the show also include the date ? that would be another factor in separating them from the "100"

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

@HATTRICK said:
    Did all the COA's signed at the show also include the date ? that would be another factor in separating them from the "100"

The ones signed at the show are a mix of random numbers. The 100 signed are numbered 1-100. No need to separate them out.

• Options

@Dollar2007 said:

@HATTRICK said:

The ones signed at the show are a mix of random numbers. The 100 signed are numbered 1-100. No need to separate them out.

do you have a link to where the mint says that COA's #1 thru #100 will be signed ? I can't seem to find it. Thanks to anybody who posts it.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

@HATTRICK said:

@Dollar2007 said:

@HATTRICK said:

do you have a link to where the mint says that COA's #1 thru #100 will be signed ? I can't seem to find it. Thanks to anybody who posts it.

It said it in the image from the mint site posted in this post:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12461217/#Comment_12461217

• Options

Coin World article about ordering difficulties and COA's

The Enhanced Reverse Proof American Eagle silver dollar is the first numismatic product offered by the U.S. Mint to be accompanied by a serial-numbered certificate of authenticity (COA).

During the Oct. 24 to 25 Fourth Annual U.S. Mint Numismatic Forum in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Mint Director David J. Ryder said the first 100 serial-numbered COAs would be hand-signed by him, near his facsimile signature.

coinworld.com/news/us-coins/limited-edition-silver-american-eagle-sells-out-in-less-than-20-minutes

• Options

Thanks Dollar2007 and BigA. There are so many long threads on this I got lost looking back for the info. Always great people willing to help on the Forum.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file