Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

September card purchases. Show 'em off!

Comments

• stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:

where did u get them?

Most of them came from a recent card show.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another nice get for my Propagandas Montiel Set, the Hebrew Hammer was one of the premier sluggers of his era and held down first base for the Tigers teams in the 30s and 40s. The cool part about his appearance in this set - in addition to adding to the star power - is this would also be an ‘active’ card as he was still playing when the set was released.

1946-47 Propagandas Montiel #59 Hank Greenberg

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim, how many players were active vs retired in the Prop Montiel set? I know Foxx was retired one year and Musial was a rookie.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

went back to the shop and bought the rest of the bags of cards under glass. dating from 1965 - 1978. got 478 cards in the lot from value village . got complete set of the 1977 topps hockey inserts with round corners. just scanned only few cards pulled from the bags . unfortunatly no cards are in mint.

• arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Love the Flahertys! Keeping an eye on him, the Beebs and Soroka out of the 2018 rookie class, pitcher wise.

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of my favorites from my renewal

Fresh off his 3 hr performance yesterday.

Hit #39 yesterday, would love to see him get one more before the regular season ends

This guy

The 2 MVP favorites before injury

Also I am a sucker for Action Variations, have the 17 as well so now I have to go after the tougher ones

Looking for FB HOF Rookies

Awesome looking photo Joe. What is it?

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2019 1:03PM

@DBesse27 said:
    Awesome looking photo Joe. What is it?

They are called "1961 Manny's Baseball Land" photos. I had one that I had Harmon autograph, now that PSA is grading them, I needed one without the auto.

I looked to see if I could find a Yaz. I found one Boston player (pictured below), Tom Brewer. His final year was 1961 and didn't play much. I finally found a list of Red Sox players and no Yaz.

https://tradingcarddb.com/ViewSet.cfm/sid/111486/1961-Manny's-Baseball-Land-Boston-Red-Sox

If you look closely at the Killebrew, you will see the "TC" logo on his hat is "airbrushed" in, there's no logo on his jersey and his socks look to be from the Senators and not the Twins. This would date the photo prior to 1961.

https://www.psacard.com/pop/baseball-cards/1961/mannys-baseball-land/161206

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@rexvos said:

>
    Did Rendon get hurt yesterday? :p

Awesome info Joe, thanks!

Yaz Master Set

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@artee said:

@rexvos said:

>
    Did Rendon get hurt yesterday? :p

He’s good but nobody outside of Washington seems to care, especially card collectors

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭

OK some recent slabs back going to show off the Wade Boggs stuff first.

The first two were testers. I knew going out the corners were showing a touch white. The retail Jewels is always poor condition. Its common with Pacific items. Its a result of poor packaging in many cases. Wanted to see how far they'd ding me so it would show me the limits. Grades were spot on and as expected. Can still resell them just cheaply is all. I have more will try and upgrade. Love how the colors pop on it :) To me there is NO such thing as "wasting" money it all gets eventually resold. Sat on stuff years and sold it for grading fees back. Never lost a nickel subbing anything as its always taught me lessons grading and financial wise.

The 1994 Fleer AS was the worst of the bunch so if that gets a 9 pretty sure one of my others will gem
    The 2007 Ultimate is as expected bought that years ago offline. NearMint 8 is normal on thicker cards so no sweat on that one

The Leather and Lumber I thought was good and had a chance at Mint glad it did :) Doubt there will be a 10 for a while
    That series is poorly cut. Not sure on whether that ones gonna be PC or feebay. With 250 available sure someone may get a 10 just will be a while.
    The Finest Milestones was the surprise thought it had a surface issue musta been lint glad it gemmed !!

I have a bunch more Boggs from 1988 Star but no more time today have to sleep again before work.

• skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

Love the Pacific Prisms. Awesome Boggs collection.

• @artee said:
    Love the Flahertys! Keeping an eye on him, the Beebs and Soroka out of the 2018 rookie class, pitcher wise.

Thanks! I love them! Makings of the next dominate hurler!

@rexvos said:
    He’s good but nobody outside of Washington seems to care, especially card collectors

I hit the “agree” button under your post. Just wanted to add “yet”.

MVP year, free agency, Boras, huge contract and potential bigger market team trade will change that in a couple of months.

Was really hoping he was going to slide over to the Braves since Donaldson was only on a 1 year contract, but the bringer of rain has settled in nicely with the team and fans.

Just have to wait and see.

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Picked up another 71T

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2019 7:34PM

@djy2500 said:

Nice Flahertys! I pulled a 2018 Bowman Atomic Refractor of him that I have been meaning to send off to be graded. Him and the rest of the Cardinals pitching embarassed the Cubs with their recent series sweep. :/

edited September 24, 2019 7:21AM

@skrezyna23 said:
    Love the Pacific Prisms. Awesome Boggs collection.

Thanks Dan 😁 Amazingly its a Pop 1 none higher. I'm in the process of subbing my Boggs PC items. I sub the lowest looking ones first let's me know what's important to look for grades wise. I have about 30,000 Boggs to go thru. Included is an 800 ct box full of his rookies. Anything that looks like it will be 7 or above goes in. II used to buy bulk Star item off Rotmans and the Doc so need to do those as well. Been absolutely a joy to see items I had in storage for eons see the light if day again 🐧🐧

@jeffv96masters
    PM coming

Yaz Master Set

edited September 27, 2019 4:13PM

@DBesse27 said:
    Tim, how many players were active vs retired in the Prop Montiel set? I know Foxx was retired one year and Musial was a rookie.

Dan,

The full set is 180 but there’s boxers, wrestlers, tennis players and others. I’ve bolded the guys I am sure were pretty much retired players, meaning their last year was 1946-47 (or significantly earlier).

24 Napoleon Reyes
    31 Miguel Gonzalez
    34 Carlos Blanco
    36 Kid Chocolate
    39 Martin Dihigo
    41 Babe Ruth
    42 Ty Cobb
    43 Alejandro Crespo
    44 Ted Williams
    48 Armando Marsans
    55 Bob Feller
    56 Bill Dickey
    56 Gabby Hartnett (Bill Dickey Back)
    57 Lou Gehrig
    58 Joe DiMaggio
    59 Hank Greenberg
    60 Red Ruffing
    61 Tex Hughson
    64 Stan Musial (Los Reyes Del Deporte)
    65 Melvin Ott
    67 Frank Overmire (Los Reyes Del Deporte)
    70 Jimmie Foxx (Los Reyes Del Deporte)
    73 Carl Hubbell
    74 Andrew Pafko
    75 David Ferris (Los Reyes Del Deporte)
    78 Joe Medwick
    79 Christy Mathewson
    85 Al Lopez

Corrections welcome

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Tim, what a wealth of knowledge! Thanks!

Yaz Master Set

Some more Boggs back. As I said before have tons to go thru of Boggs. This Star series is plagued by poor centering, miscuts and surface flaws. Bunch of highest pop / pop 1 cards so far with more to follow. Bunch of misses as well. Not bad condition considering they went cross country 12 years ago and stayed in storage with me tossing around :o

Boggs...

Nice Acunas! Going after the 699, ASG and the bat downs?

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Boggs...

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁Never saw that before love it. !!!!

@jeffv96masters said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Boggs...

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁Never saw that before love it. !!!!

Simpsons Softball episode is Top 5

C - Sciosca
    1B - Mattingly
    2B - Steve Sax
    3B - Wade Boggs
    SS - Ozzie Smith
    OF - Canseco
    OF - Griffey
    OF - Strawberry
    P - Clemens

Funny, star studded and just a really great episode even for non Simpsons fans.

Find it and watch it...

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could not be any happier with these. With everything going on I feel a lot of great cards went for great deals and I’m happy to own these. And the Chance actually has a back wet sheet transfer error on the front! I think it’s cool. Great set!

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

^NICE GROUP!!!^

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@handyman said:
    Could not be any happier with these. With everything going on I feel a lot of great cards went for great deals and I’m happy to own these. And the Chance actually has a back wet sheet transfer error on the front! I think it’s cool. Great set!

No Evers?

Great cards!!!

• Bearkat21Bearkat21 Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2019 8:17PM

@artee said:
    Nice Acunas! Going after the 699, ASG and the bat downs?

Been keeping an eye on them but they keep going a bit out of my price range. Did pick up the holiday bat down raw for a decent price.

Love that Albies BTW. I don’t have near enough of him.

• JBLJBL Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have wanted a copy of this card for awhile.

Flyin Brian Pillman was a great wrestler.

Here he is in 1986 in the CFL.

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got this great Otis Patrick, remember him.. Me neither. Luckily Jr was on this one too. :smile:

@erikthredd said:
    Got these three 5x7 Nike Poster Cards of MJ in this week.

Nice Jordan poster cards !!
    More slabs back still catching up folks been bery bery busy :) Sent in abunch of my ETopps raw .
    No surprises the Mint 9 is normal the two Gems did make me happy :)

Sent these all in sealed. Not a bad start to the Etopps adventures

I liked the old school vintage look combined with the new school talent.

@UFFDAH said:
    A pickup from earlier this year. Back from re-holdering.

>

The difficulty of that in 10 is off the charts great pickup there 🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧😝😝😝

@artee said:

@jeffv96masters said:

@UFFDAH said:
    A pickup from earlier this year. Back from re-holdering.

>

The difficulty of that in 10 is off the charts great pickup there 🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧😝😝😝

I doubt psa will ever designate and even if they did the pop report would never be correct, but your Luke is actually a #57a vs 57b. All ‘52 Mantle-esque like.

Very easy to distinguish by the asterisk at the beginning of the copyright stamp on the front.

“ * “ denotes the A side

“ ** “ denotes the B side

Adding: If you are a variant collector or a completionist, there is currently a B side 10 listed on ebay. And no, it is not my card. 😉

At the very least you may just want to screen grab and keep a file to see which one truly has the lower pop. I own a few and the B side seems to be just a tad bit lower within the grade. I’ve found you can never have too much information or too big of a comparable picture database on such items. Over time little nuances can emerge that can result in much larger premiums being paid. The ‘79 OPC Gretzky first run skate lines come to mind.

Apologies in advance for rambling.

Quite the contrary - what an excellent and informative post!

Why we log in, for some.

What’s your name, Artee?