Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

September card purchases. Show 'em off!

Comments

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

NICE Maddux Jason !!!! I'm still looking for my own Clemens version :s

More slabs back for Mr Boggs from the cards I carried around for 40+ years. Was surprised at the size of the slabs involved

The Fantastic Sams versions with tab are tricky aS they were produced off center PSA did a good job on that one. Pop 2 with 2 higher. I have more so tested the waters on that one. I actually wrote an ARTICLE ABOUT THEM as I came across them going thru my PC stuff. If you have additional info see me please looking to always learn more and have more back up. We didn't have one locally until the last 90's so I have very little info on that series distribution just some basic knowledge of where/why. Would love some magazine or hobby promotion backups.

The Jiffy Pop discs came of popcorn containers. Back had issues so didn't expect much. Pop 1 with 4 higher.Tabs were a little rough also.Haven't had time to do my article on that series yet

The Holsum pleased me while its a Pop 8 lets just say people are careful what they sub when it comes to discs
    Haven't had time to do my article on that series yet

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Frozencaribou said:
    Back in it after a little break. I really like this Puckett card. One of those ones that felt out of my price range as a kid...

I love the 84 Fleer Update set. I have a Gooden out in a sub but centering will keep it from hitting a 10. That Puckett is a great card.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jeffv96masters said:
    NICE Maddux Jason !!!! I'm still looking for my own Clemens version :s

More slabs back for Mr Boggs from the cards I carried around for 40+ years. Was surprised at the size of the slabs involved

The Fantastic Sams versions with tab are tricky aS they were produced off center PSA did a good job on that one. Pop 2 with 2 higher. I have more so tested the waters on that one. I actually wrote an ARTICLE ABOUT THEM as I came across them going thru my PC stuff. If you have additional info see me please looking to always learn more and have more back up. We didn't have one locally until the last 90's so I have very little info on that series distribution just some basic knowledge of where/why. Would love some magazine or hobby promotion backups.

The Jiffy Pop discs came of popcorn containers. Back had issues so didn't expect much. Pop 1 with 4 higher.Tabs were a little rough also.Haven't had time to do my article on that series yet

The Holsum pleased me while its a Pop 8 lets just say people are careful what they sub when it comes to discs
    Haven't had time to do my article on that series yet

I'm digging those Boggs oddball issues. I've always loved oddball issues, even though they're not usually worth a lot of money. Somehow they've always captured my interest as they were usually way out of the mainstream.

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

picked these up tonight at value village.. i like to go every week as something new always pops up there

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@maddux69 said:
    After two trips to Newport Beach this is finally home! The only copy to be graded by PSA with the Ken Griffey Jr the only other gold winner PSA has graded.

Collectors bearing an Extreme Players Bronze card of one of the winning players could redeem it for an Extreme Winners Bronze set of all ten winning players. A winning Extreme Players Silver winning card would be entitled to a ten-card Extreme Winners Silver set done on Finest-style chromium stock. While the ten Extreme Players Gold winners could trade their card for a glass-coated, chromium-stock, Finest-style Extreme Winners Gold card of their player in return.

Nice, did you have to submit it as a tallboy? I've got a Larkin ready to go, but hadn't figured out what it should be subbed as. Those 'cards' are heavy!

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

@maddux69 said:
    After two trips to Newport Beach this is finally home! The only copy to be graded by PSA with the Ken Griffey Jr the only other gold winner PSA has graded.

Collectors bearing an Extreme Players Bronze card of one of the winning players could redeem it for an Extreme Winners Bronze set of all ten winning players. A winning Extreme Players Silver winning card would be entitled to a ten-card Extreme Winners Silver set done on Finest-style chromium stock. While the ten Extreme Players Gold winners could trade their card for a glass-coated, chromium-stock, Finest-style Extreme Winners Gold card of their player in return.

Nice, did you have to submit it as a tallboy? I've got a Larkin ready to go, but hadn't figured out what it should be subbed as. Those 'cards' are heavy!

No, just went as part of the bulk from last August. It was returned as unable to holder since the glass coating makes it so thick. I knew that the Griffey's have been holdered so I reached back out and after speaking to someone in encapsulation determined it could be holdered. So back to PSA it went, thought it would be a short trip, but it was put in the queue for bulk grading even though it was only one card. :D So long story short, put it in with your bulk graded and know that it can be encapsulated despite initial struggles.

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

Incredible, Mike!

I would have never even thought of trying to acquire a piece like that.

You really should put together a photo catalog of your collection.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just picked up the Fisk. Got the Edgar a while ago, but just got around to scanning it.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2019 2:47PM

@orioles93 said:
    Just picked up the Fisk. Got the Edgar a while ago, but just got around to scanning it.

Love the Edgar!

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2019 3:05PM

Excited about this one. They sold out quickly. It will be here on Monday.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭

@orioles93 said:

two great looking cards!

• Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭

Picked this up for my Topps Rookie Cup autographs set.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice Rich!

I'm a fan of clean ball points over sharpies on a card.

I have his auto on a Perez Steele - looks way better on the Red Heart.

Mike
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭

That auto'd Red Heart is gorgeous. Congrats!

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2019 12:25PM

@Moonman said:
    Remember when these were through the roof??!! How high did they get? Just saw this at a local card shop and couldn’t help myself

I sold 19 of them, raw from vending, for $80 each to a dealer who'd flown out to LA the previous day on a buying trip - probably 1998.

Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    MoonmanMoonman Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Ouch> @MorrellMan said:

@Moonman said:
    Remember when these were through the roof??!! How high did they get? Just saw this at a local card shop and couldn’t help myself

I sold 19 of them, raw from vending, for $80 each to a dealer who'd flown out to LA the previous day on a buying trip - probably 1998.

• Options

Not so much ouch - it paid for my 1964 Rickenbacker 12 string...

Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yankeesman said:
    That auto'd Red Heart is gorgeous. Congrats!

Definitely agree!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Picked up this RC for my registry:

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

Trying to get as many parallels of this as I can. Have the diamond and the cognac as well. Next up is target red.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options
    MoonmanMoonman Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

@MorrellMan said:
    Not so much ouch - it paid for my 1964 Rickenbacker 12 string...

no no dont get me wrong, its great for you, I meant ouch to the person who dropped that kind of coin

• Options

Yep - I'm pretty sure his intent was to turn them quickly. Hopefully he did.

Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

@orioles93 said:

NICE FISK :)

The tilt on those is common- learned that on my first slab experiment years ago back in 1999 when I sent 5 to BGS and maybe 20 to PSA to figure out what they were looking for on it.

Somewhere I have a PSA 9 and maybe 10-15 PSA 8 Fisks this was all I could dig out of storage quickly
    Excuse me for the "other guys" slab :s

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Picked these up earlier today, I can't recall ever seeing the Super Script show up on eBay, and it's been a long time since the Gold Script was available:

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Also added another rookie year Roy sticker for a future sub:

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Haven’t been interested in newer stuff but I like this guy!

• Options

Wow, nice! I barely follow the NHL anymore, but I’ve been an Avs fan since they were the Nordiques and I like MacKinnon. Those 2 are really sweet!

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    A recent pick up.

As someone who has watched, often in awe, I have to ask:

Will you open this stuff one day? Resell only? Gosh, you’ve just got such awesome inventory I guess I was wondering if you had plans to open one day or were undecided?

Feel free to leave unanswered too.

Awesome stuff, as per usual.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Wow, great find!

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options

if wish to see any more of the 5k box ill be glad to scan some more in

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium - hey no problem asking!!

The majority of what I have in unopened will remain unopened and will someday sell. I do, however, have a few packs here and there saved for some rainy day rippin!!

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slimies said:
    if wish to see any more of the 5k box ill be glad to scan some more in

Please do

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

You know I love that box!

Yaz Master Set

• Options

here's a few more cards. putting most of em in pages as have no more hard holders. have too many cards in the lot to scan . the collection will take around 4 binders maybe 5.

• Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    A recent pick up.

OH MAN! What a box! I thought that was a great price too! Congrats. Does it look as good in person as in the pictures?

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭