Home U.S. Coin Forum

2019 American Innovation Dollar Coins (19G*) - Georgia RP details posted...

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 10, 2020 5:19AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Aaand, they're off!

The 2019 American Innovation dollar coins (aka Innobucks) are slowly being released over the next few months.

The limits have been determined for the bags, rolls and proof set. None.

Mintage Limit: None
Product Limit: None
Household Order Limit: None

The 2018 Reverse Proof had a mintage of 75K (HHL of 5 for the first 24 hours). I am 50/50 on whether they strike more of the 2019 RP's, since the Intro dollar surprisingly went to CU so quickly.

EDIT: The Delaware Reverse Proof coin continues a mintage of 75K @ $9.95.

If you are unfamiliar with these coins, they are being minted for "collectors" only, which means they are not going to be injected into circulation by the Mint. They're still legal tender though, and can be spent. The law to create these things can be found here:
American Innovation $1 Coin Act (pdf)

There will be four coins released per year, one for each state and territory. With the 2018 Intro Coin, it will make this a 57-coin, 15-year series. (That means the series will end in 2033 for those who don't want to do the math.) They will be in three finishes, a circulation strike (available only in rolls and bags), a proof (only in a four coin set) and a reverse proof (only available individually). The proofs will not be in the normal annual set. There will be no uncirculated set.

This year's offerings are for Delaware, Georgia, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

2019 American Innovation Dollar Coins (Innobucks)
DelawareGeorgiaNew JerseyPennsylvania
ProductProduct CodeRelease DateProduct CodeRelease DateProduct CodeRelease DateProduct CodeRelease Date
100 Coin Bag (P) - $111.9519GBASep 1919GBDDec 1919GBCNov 2119GBBOct 24
100 Coin Bag (D) - $111.9519GBESep 1919GBHDec 1919GBGNov 2119GBFOct 24
25 Coin Roll (P) - $32.9519GRASep 1919GRDDec 1919GRCNov 2119GRBOct 24
25 Coin Roll (D) - $32.9519GRESep 1919GRHDec 1919GRGNov 2119GRFOct 24
Reverse Proof (S) - $9.9519GENov 719GHFeb 11, 202019GGJan 7, 202019GFDec 5
(Product codes above are links to the Mint web page. Those in bold have populated webpages.)

The Mint's web page for the proof set can be found here. It's been given a sales date of October 11.
American Innovation 2019 $1 Proof Set (19GA)
Price has been set at $20.95, a one dollar increase over the last four coin prezibuck proof set ($19.95).

All Innobucks will have a common obverse. All the necessary wordage to make it a legal tender coin (like the date and mintmark... Grrr....) is on the edge. (I really don't like edge lettering. I just thought I'd throw that in there. :D)

I'll keep the line art along with the Mint images when they become available.
Delaware:

Georgia:

New Jersey:

Pennsylvania:

Proof set:

The initial thread for this coin series can be found here:
American Innovation $1 Coin Act, H.R. 6025 (Now, HR 770. Became law 7/20)
The Introduction Coin thread is here:
2018 American Innovation $1 Coin (Intro coin) (18GA, 18GRA, 18GRE, 18GBA, 18GBE)

Comments

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2019 12:50AM

Index:
    Sep 11, 2019 Proof Set info posted
    Sep 13, 2019 Subscriptions for bags and rolls
    Oct 3, 2019 Delaware Reverse Proof info posted
    Nov 5, 2019 Pennsylvania Reverse Proof info posted

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

15 years.

If started in first grade then you’ll be done as college junior, give or take a few positive/negative bumps along the way.

Delaware’s silhouette is Rorschach blot test. :D

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably will not collect the series... but will watch the designs and perhaps acquire one that appeals to me. Cheers, RickO

@ReadyFireAim said:

@BackroadJunkie said:
    (reserved)

I agreed with whatever you're going to say in the future so make it good. :D

Then I hope to rise above what should be low expectations for that post... :D

It is typically used for a complete sales report or index into the thread. Look at the first three posts of the Apollo 11 commem for an example...

I found I actually did reserve post 2 in the Innobuck Intro coin thread, but forgot it was there, because I never expected the thread to get that long. That thread would have died a lonely death a month ago if the RP didn't come out, now it's over 400 posts... It should have died around 250...

BTW, let me also add that I am sad we won't get a toothbrush coin. I really wanted that toothbrush coin... :s

• EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

So not for release into circulation, but unc coins are only released in rolls or bags? Most of those are going to wind up in circulation anyway. It will be interesting to see if vendors accept them since most people won't know what they are.

I give them as tips. Most don’t ask. Those that do I explain.

Kennedy’s are easier. :)

• BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    15 years.

If started in first grade then you’ll be done as college junior, give or take a few positive/negative bumps along the way.

Some of us will be octa/nonagenarians, so college junior doesn't look that bad.

• rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

While I like the design, I can't believe the very first coin out of the gate is flirting with the only prohibited design technique:

‘‘(E) PROHIBITION ON CERTAIN REPRESENTATIONS.—No
    head and shoulders portrait or bust of any person and
    no portrait of a living person may be included in the
    design of any coin issued under this subsection.

I hope that haggling over this design waiver wasn't what caused the long delay.

Didn't the Mint indicate earlier that the proof coins would not be in the full proof set only for the first year or two? (Probably due to packaging reasons)

@BJandTundra said:

@Hemispherical said:
    15 years.

Some of us will be octa/nonagenarians, so college junior doesn't look that bad.

That's one of the problems of starting a RP set. I could be drooling into a bib in 15 years.

I wonder if my OCD would still make me complete the set even with the onset of dementia...

@rip_f said:
    While I like the design, I can't believe the very first coin out of the gate is flirting with the only prohibited design technique:

‘‘(E) PROHIBITION ON CERTAIN REPRESENTATIONS.—No
    head and shoulders portrait or bust of any person and
    no portrait of a living person may be included in the
    design of any coin issued under this subsection.

I hope that haggling over this design waiver wasn't what caused the long delay.

No, the long delay was because Congress critters foisted this law onto the Mint so late in the year, last year.

If you think about it, the Mint has to coordinate with all four States in question, designs created then have to be judged by both the CFA and CCAC for each state, all this in addition to the same process for the 2020 ATB coins and commems. The mint just had no lead time for the 2019 Innobucks.

Didn't the Mint indicate earlier that the proof coins would not be in the full proof set only for the first year or two? (Probably due to packaging reasons)

I believe they will remain separate. They even asked in a poll I took sometime ago, asking if they should be kept separate. It's not a packaging issue, since they already had the experience from the presidential dollar series.

It makes sense, as they aren't circulating coins. (The other Brassbucks were initially introduced as circulating coinage, even if they didn't. This is the first series that's starting off as a non-circulating series.)

But that was before Ryder became Director, so you never know what other products could be infested by these. :D

@Eagleguy said:
    So not for release into circulation, but unc coins are only released in rolls or bags? Most of those are going to wind up in circulation anyway.

Sacabucks and Kennedys aren't being released into circulation, either. The Mint's mintage numbers for them under circulating coinage are the ones being sold out of the Mint Store.

When was the last time you got a Kennedy or a Sacabuck (or a Prezzibuck, for that matter) in change dated 2011 or later? I'm pretty sure the same will happen with these. Some guy/gal/whatever will get one, then throw it into his/her/its sock drawer and shall never see the light of day again.

It will be interesting to see if vendors accept them since most people won't know what they are.

I'm still thinking spray painting those discs from electrical boxes gold and putting "$1" on it has a better chance. (Truthfully, the first thing I'd probably do is look it up on a smartphone...)

@Baley said:
    It might be evidence of dementia to start collecting these coins.

I might be offended at that if I didn't think you might be onto something...

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went into U.S. Bank last week and asked for some of the presidential dollars and they had Mint seal rolls of the Polk, Jackson and Harrison. So I scooped them up, for maybe tips and sock drawers...

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really don't see the point of a non-circulating collector coin. What would it have hurt for the Mint to release these [read:put in a vault with the Presidential dollars]?

By the way, how do you think they are producing these?

They have an "unlimited mintage" but they can't mint past December. So, are they minting to order until December or do you think they minted X million of them already and will just sell them until they're gone?

I would think it would be the former since there is little point in constantly retooling for a NCLT coin. I wonder if there is a way to find out how many they made.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

I wonder if there is a way to find out how many they made.

We need an insider!

• cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

The 2018 Reverse Proof had a mintage of 75K (HHL of 5 for the first 24 hours). I am 50/50 on whether they strike more, since the Intro dollar surprisingly went to CU so quickly.

I'm having a hard time understanding what you meant by the 50/50 statement on striking more of the 2018 Reverse Proof coins?

• EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

>

When was the last time you got a Kennedy or a Sacabuck (or a Prezzibuck, for that matter) in change dated 2011 or later? I'm pretty sure the same will happen with these. Some guy/gal/whatever will get one, then throw it into his/her/its sock drawer and shall never see the light of day again.

Sacs and prezibucks used to frequently show up in change machines at the railroad stations here in NY. Now that most tickets are made with digital payments I would guess they are harder to find.

@cagcrisp said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

The 2018 Reverse Proof had a mintage of 75K (HHL of 5 for the first 24 hours). I am 50/50 on whether they strike more, since the Intro dollar surprisingly went to CU so quickly.

I'm having a hard time understanding what you meant by the 50/50 statement on striking more of the 2018 Reverse Proof coins?

I was speculating on the mintages for the 2019 reverse proofs.

The Mint has a bad habit of increasing mintages of quickly sold products (look at the presidential C&C sets, or this year's palladium coin) to un-sold-out-able levels. On the other hand, they have surprised me lately, for instance the lowering of the NA C&C set back to 50K.

It wouldn't surprise me to see mintages for the subsequent RP's at 100K or 125K, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they kept it at 75K and hope for sell-outs to keep enthusiasm up.

edited September 1, 2019 8:07AM

@Eagleguy said:

>

Sacs and prezibucks used to frequently show up in change machines at the railroad stations here in NY. Now that most tickets are made with digital payments I would guess they are harder to find.

What years? Prior to 2011 they struck about 300-400M Prezibucks/year. Once it went to uncirculated status, it dropped to 35-40M struck/year.

Sacabucks are rarer after they went NCLT from 2002-2008 and 2012-2019. 2009 to 2011 were anomalies because the idiots in congress actually tied the production of the presidential dollars to the Sacabuck, so they had to produce all sort of Sacabucks nobody wanted. :D

Edit, because I never finished the post before it somehow got posted... :D

I expect these to eventually have a mintage of around 3-5M/coin (like the NA dollars), so 15-20M/year. That's tiny (relatively speaking) which is why no one will see these coins in circulation. They'll either find their way into sock drawers, or in boxes in vaults along with all the other unwanted brassbucks.

I will be on the lookout for the "arrested for trying to pass a legal tender $1 coin" story... ;)

• cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@cagcrisp said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

I was speculating on the mintages for the 2019 reverse proofs.

The Mint has a bad habit of increasing mintages of quickly sold products (look at the presidential C&C sets, or this year's palladium coin) to un-sold-out-able levels. On the other hand, they have surprised me lately, for instance the lowering of the NA C&C set back to 50K.

It wouldn't surprise me to see mintages for the subsequent RP's at 100K or 125K, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they kept it at 75K and hope for sell-outs to keep enthusiasm up.

I understand now. Thanks for the reply...

I do not plan on collecting this series; but may help others in collecting this series. ;)

Waiting for the third 2018 “intro” coin. The special enhanced “fill-in-the-blank” with “W” MM. :D

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    I give them as tips. Most don’t ask. Those that do I explain.

Kennedy’s are easier. :)

I use them to buy lottery tickets...power ball & mega million.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

I really hate it am not fond of when the Mint leaves a yearly hole in a product set.
    I'm referring to the Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set.
    They will have the four Innobucks, the Native American Dollar, and the Unc W ASE, but have removed the Annual Set from the schedule.
    It was on the schedule earlier in the year as TBD. It's even still on my list of Active Enrollments, but is off the schedule.

There was a hole in the series for a couple years during the Great Recession, but except for that, they've offered one every year that they've had all of the ingredients.

Mint - if you're reading this - Why not this year??

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't start another series collection. Did the States, the National Parks with the 5 ounce too. As pointed out I may be just too far gone to see the ending.
    Best of luck to all who set a goal of going all the way with these.

Technical question from a newbie here.

The composition screen keeps freezing up for several seconds as the draft is saved every frackin minute.
    Is there a way to lengthen the auto-save time?

I also get a freeze-up from a "long running script" error occasionally while typing. Is that common?

@rip_f said:
    I really hate it am not fond of when the Mint leaves a yearly hole in a product set.
    I'm referring to the Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set.
    They will have the four Innobucks, the Native American Dollar, and the Unc W ASE, but have removed the Annual Set from the schedule.
    It was on the schedule earlier in the year as TBD. It's even still on my list of Active Enrollments, but is off the schedule.

There was a hole in the series for a couple years during the Great Recession, but except for that, they've offered one every year that they've had all of the ingredients.

Mint - if you're reading this - Why not this year??

Because American Innovation isn't being included in any annual set. Not the uncirculated, proof nor silver proof set. Why would it be in an annual dollar set?

Innobucks are the red-headed step child of the numismatic world right now. As they should be. This one was truly a congressional boondoggle.

@rip_f said:
    Technical question from a newbie here.

The composition screen keeps freezing up for several seconds as the draft is saved every frackin minute.
    Is there a way to lengthen the auto-save time?

I also get a freeze-up from a "long running script" error occasionally while typing. Is that common?

Sounds like a browser issue. Try clearing your cache for collectors.com.

To be sure, try to access CU from another browser to see if performance is similarly bad...

Bump because sales dates were just released.

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2019 1:33PM

September 19th...FINALLY!

In for a bag of Inno-Star-Bucks :) (Delaware)

The proof set web page has been populated. (See OP.) Price set at $20.95, a one dollar increase over the last 4-$1 coin set. It has a October 11 sales date, and as suspected:

Mintage Limit: None
    Product Limit: None
    Household Order Limit: None

American Innovation 2019 $1 Coin Proof Set (19GA)

With no limit, this is destined to be worth $5 in a couple years. That is disappointing.

@jmlanzaf said:
    With no limit, this is destined to be worth $5 in a couple years. That is disappointing.

$4 and $1 for the plastic... so the plastic is negotiable.

:D:)

@Hemispherical said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Well, when they finally ban all plastic, it might some day be $4 for the coins and $100 for the plastic. So save that plastic!

edited September 12, 2019 7:09AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Hemispherical said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Well, when they finally ban all plastic, it might some day be $4 for the coins and $100 for the plastic. So save that plastic!

Now if I can get rid of the plastic. Habit of putting “Please return OGP” on submissions. I need to be more selective. ;)

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2019 7:47AM

@jmlanzaf said:

I can see that happening. Cardboard inserts. But is cardboard safe for coins? What about glass? Coins could be housed in glass. Glass capsules, glass slabs, glass coins....wait is that a thing?

Yup, the INNODUCK.

Enrollments available for bags and rolls, but not for the reverse proofs....

Enrollments / American Innovation™ $1 Coin Program

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminder :)

Star Bucks (Deleware) on sale tomorrow at noon.
    Support your local mint & tip your barmaid.

@ReadyFireAim said:

Yep, on sale today at Noon! Can't wait! (Yes I can.)

I should probably buy a single MS version from y'all who buying rolls, since they won't be available in mint sets, but I'd probably cost me as much in postage as the coin is worth... :D

I imagine we'll see what Pennsylvania looks like soon. They're next on the schedule...

I do not know about continuing this series. Maybe stick with the proofs?

Still debating. Have all the time since there is no mintage limits.

@Hemispherical said:

They will have to stop minting before December 31st. And no limits doesn't mean they can't stop minting anytime they want. Jump in there and BUY!

@BackroadJunkie said:

@ReadyFireAim said:

Yep, on sale today at Noon! Can't wait! (Yes I can.)

I should probably buy a single MS version from y'all who buying rolls, since they won't be available in mint sets, but I'd probably cost me as much in postage as the coin is worth... :D

I imagine we'll see what Pennsylvania looks like soon. They're next on the schedule...

I can't believe they aren't doing a separate Mint Set for just these dollars. They already have so many versions of this series, what's one more?

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Finally a Coin to display proudly ...... next to my 10 bags of Wyoming Quarters.

.............. in the US Mint Coin designers Hall of Mediocrity.

🤔

@jmlanzaf said:

@Hemispherical said:

They will have to stop minting before December 31st. And no limits doesn't mean they can't stop minting anytime they want. Jump in there and BUY!

LOL! I’ll do a decrepit walk to the laptop and just stare at the Mint’s main page.

Still can’t beat the ol’ Kennedy’s as tipping coins. Shiny, large, and almost everybody knows what it is.

Reminds of the show “Cheers” where everybody knows your name.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xYcX534JqG4

Whew, I went OT too quick. :D

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

All these sexy designs remind me of Subway Tokens. Nest thing you know, mintstate Rare Subway Tokens will be selling for the Big Auction bucks.

😝

edited September 23, 2019 10:00PM

lol, PA got bypassed...

I'm sure we'll get details and images soon.

(Images and web page populated on 9/23/19)

• BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2019 10:04AM

For that price I'll just wait a year or two and get the proof set on eBay BIN for $9.99 or less. Or just not at all. I liked the intro design, but not fond of these.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FullStrike said:
    Finally a Coin to display proudly ...... next to my 10 bags of Wyoming Quarters.
    .............. in the US Mint Coin designers Hall of Mediocrity.

Were your Wyoming quarters fully struck?
    It makes a big difference!

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    I will be on the lookout for the "arrested for trying to pass a legal tender $1 coin" story... ;)

It might not take long, especially if the customer presents a coin with the reverse side up.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file