Home U.S. Coin Forum

2019 American Innovation Dollar Coins (19G*) - Georgia RP details posted...

Comments

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

I'm going to start paying attention to Parking Lots again. Before too long I expect to see these Innobucks discarded like so much metalic trash. IF a bunch of Coin Nerds will do their duty and seed these things into the World.

😮 thats a mighty big IF ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I'll admit 😯

• rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

Part of the law that authorized the Presidential and Native American dollars (but not this series) required the Mint to make a concerted effort to both promote them and to seed them into our economy.
    Neither happened then.

Now they have no choice but to only promote them to collectors, technologists, and history buffs.
    Being a member of all three groups, I look forward to their release.

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eagleguy said:
    So not for release into circulation, but unc coins are only released in rolls or bags? Most of those are going to wind up in circulation anyway. It will be interesting to see if vendors accept them since most people won't know what they are.

I have been a collector for 44 years and have no familiarity with new circulating designs since the SQ series ended in 2008. I don't know (or remember) many of the SQ either. I don't use any coins (and have not for years) as it doesn't buy anything. Recently, I had jury duty and the place I went for lunch only took cash. It's the first time I have received change in buying anything or used change to pay for anything except for tolls in at least five years. In this instance, I didn't even look at the change I received back and just dumped it into my drawer where it will stay for who knows how long.

There are so many designs in circulation now that if it had any purchasing power, I don't see how most of the non-collecting public would know a counterfeit. It just isn't worth faking it.

• @BackroadJunkie said: lol, PA got bypassed...

I found the image below here:

At U.S. Mint > Learn > Coin and Medal Programs > American Innovation $1 Coin Program > American Innovation > $1 Coin > Pennsylvania

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any sales numbers yet? Is this a sleeper? Did anybody buy any? I just find it so hard to believe that there will be so many versions of each coin with the Unc and Proof and RP....is there a burnished version too? Or will there be?

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldMaster said:
    @BackroadJunkie said: lol, PA got bypassed...

I found the image below here:

At U.S. Mint > Learn > Coin and Medal Programs > American Innovation $1 Coin Program > American Innovation > $1 Coin > Pennsylvania

Where’s @Insider2? He’s on a coin. LOL

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I should probably buy a single MS version from y'all who buying rolls, since they won't be available in mint sets, but I'd probably cost me as much in postage as the coin is worth...

After the flipper's wet dream sellout of the $9.95 Reverse Proofs, and the omission of an Unc Set which requires that I buy at least a roll of each of the myriad of new issues, I'm trying real hard not to get sucked into this.

I'm losing the fight, but believe me - I'm trying NOT to buy these. :'(

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2019 3:04PM

Jonas Salk cured polio at the University of Pittsburgh.
    The city of my birth's accomplishment on a coin.
    Very nice & a lot better choice than the "turnpike coin"

BTW...Ask anyone who is 80+ years old what they were afraid of in 1950.
    It was either the bomb or polio (or both)

edited September 28, 2019 1:21PM

Got 3 rolls of Annie-Bucks today.
    They look very nice.

There is an additional mark on the obverse that looks like a gear inside a gear (under in god we trust) that wasn't there on the original inno-buck.

Also....Coins in rolls seem to have more "bag-marks" than the ones in bags.
    Go figure? ;)

“Gear in gear” pic please.

• smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

It's in the mint's photo of the coin. ;)

edited September 28, 2019 4:18PM

@smokincoin said:

No..Or I haven't seen it.

@Hemispherical said:
    “Gear in gear” pic please.

Sorry...I don't have anything I can use for macro.

Hope it isn't worth anything because I've been tipping with them :D

@ReadyFireAim said:

@smokincoin said:

No..Or I haven't seen it.

It's described as "a privy mark of a stylized gear, representing industry and innovation."

It's not anywhere in the authorizing legislation, so I guess the Mint has some discretion to evolve the obverse design.
    There's certainly plenty of room left for the date and mintmark!

Such an open and wide obverse canvas you would expect to see some interesting “home-made designs.”

Probably out there but I haven’t tried to look.

Those expansive fields will certainly invite and be vulnerable to contact marks.

Given the way these business strikes are handled, I don't expect to see many mark-free examples,

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:
    Got 3 rolls of Annie-Bucks today.
    They look very nice.

There is an additional mark on the obverse that looks like a gear inside a gear (under in god we trust) that wasn't there on the original inno-buck.

Also....Coins in rolls seem to have more "bag-marks" than the ones in bags.
    Go figure? ;)

If you peel off the outside, is there chocolate underneath?

edited September 29, 2019 3:08AM

Those do look like the chocolate coins... :D:)

An overview of modern dollars, published by the Congressional Research Service.
    U.S. Dollar Coins: Current Status and Authorization of the American Innovation $1 Coins

This is a post from the 2018 thread, but it's more relevant to the 2019 thread...

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Hemispherical said:
    If they (Mint) are following the same timeline as the Intro coins and these four States... takes away for them State governments to change. Then these will be stuck to start in the last calendar quarter every year.

This year's coins are being released late because the law was introduced so late last year. Idiots Members in congress probably don't realize how long the process takes. (The CFA/CCAC were considering designs for the 2019 innobucks at the same time they were looking at 2020 designs for the commems. A year late in the process.)

They're already reviewing design candidates for 2020, so I suspect the 2020 innobucks will follow a schedule more like the presibucks, one per quarter starting next year or 2021...

The points below are for the Commemorative program, but it's probably true for any new coin design...
    Commemorative Coins: Background, Legislative Process, and Issues for Congress

Commemorative Coin Timeline
    From authorization to coin launch, the CCAC has estimated that a commemorative coin takes a minimum of between 56 and 60 weeks. This includes the coin design process, engraving, marketing, printing materials, and coin launch.

The law for Innobucks was passed July 20, 2018. That they even got the intro coin out was a rush job. But it does explain imply why all the 2019's are being issue late this year, and why I think they'll get back on the one/quarter like the presibucks...

@BackroadJunkie said:
    This is a post from the 2018 thread, but it's more relevant to the 2019 thread...

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Hemispherical said:
    If they (Mint) are following the same timeline as the Intro coins and these four States... takes away for them State governments to change. Then these will be stuck to start in the last calendar quarter every year.

This year's coins are being released late because the law was introduced so late last year. Idiots Members in congress probably don't realize how long the process takes. (The CFA/CCAC were considering designs for the 2019 innobucks at the same time they were looking at 2020 designs for the commems. A year late in the process.)

They're already reviewing design candidates for 2020, so I suspect the 2020 innobucks will follow a schedule more like the presibucks, one per quarter starting next year or 2021...

The points below are for the Commemorative program, but it's probably true for any new coin design...
    Commemorative Coins: Background, Legislative Process, and Issues for Congress

Commemorative Coin Timeline
    From authorization to coin launch, the CCAC has estimated that a commemorative coin takes a minimum of between 56 and 60 weeks. This includes the coin design process, engraving, marketing, printing materials, and coin launch.

The law for Innobucks was passed July 20, 2018. That they even got the intro coin out was a rush job. But it does explain imply why all the 2019's are being issue late this year, and why I think they'll get back on the one/quarter like the presibucks...

Thanks for digging that nugget of information @BackroadJunkie!

@Hemispherical said:
    Thanks for digging that nugget of information @BackroadJunkie!

What's interesting about these CRS reports, is they're pretty good at summarizing the law in a user-friendly way instead of the way the law is laid out on the books, in addition to giving background information and references. Hey, it comes complete with pictures. Heh...

When I have some useless free time, I'll have to go look at previous years. Since it covers all laws, you have to dig out the numis stuff from pretty much crap... :D At least the FedReg's have an index (by department), I need to see if the CRS reports do too.

I assume they're what the congress critters read to pretend they know the law. I'll have to compare a report to the law to see if it covers everything, but I'll also have to be exceptionally bored for that to happen... :D

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2019 12:57PM

@rip_f said:
    It's described as "a privy mark of a stylized gear, representing industry and innovation."

It's not anywhere in the authorizing legislation, so I guess the Mint has some discretion to evolve the obverse design.
    There's certainly plenty of room left for the date and mintmark!

not to try to create a fake rarity, but what other U.S. coins have "privy marks"?

Not to derail this thread, maybe I'll start another.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will buy a bag of the polio vaccine dollars and use them for tips because the topic is of great personal interest, but I have no idea what the “1953” date commemorates. The vaccine was perfected in 1955.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Which State will put out the MacDonalds Coin ?

That's the one I will buy. 😚

The only one I plan to buy. 😄

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome designs, I hope I can get a major error on those designs ;)

Aaaand, the Delaware RP coin is up.

American Innovation 2019 $1 Reverse Proof Coin - Delaware

Aaaand, the mintage stays at 75K. It will remain priced at $9.95.

Mintage Limit: 75,000
    Product Limit: 75,000
    Household Order Limit: 5

Well, okay, if each coin is going to come with background info, it might make the RP's a little more interesting. I'll reserve judgement until I read one...

Still don't like edge lettering. Just thought I'd throw that in there. :D

I'm glad they at least kept to a limited mintage that seems appropriate. Might keep some interest up through the year. 75,000 is probably still too many for the long run. But it is probably a good number to actually sell out and to still allow "collectors" to get one.

@CaptHenway said:
    I will buy a bag of the polio vaccine dollars and use them for tips because the topic is of great personal interest, but I have no idea what the “1953” date commemorates. The vaccine was perfected in 1955.

From history.com:

"On March 26, 1953, American medical researcher Dr. Jonas Salk announces on a national radio show that he has successfully tested a vaccine against poliomyelitis, the virus that causes the crippling disease of polio"

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks. I always thought that was 1955.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Now that is interesting a mintage of only 75K. Has someone been reading this forum?

This probably doesn't deserve its own thread, so I'll stick this here...

CoinNews.net has an article on the Federal Reserve System Currency and Coin Services report. (Click on the "$1 Coin Quarterly Inventories, Payments, and Receipts" link.)

coinnews:Federal Reserve Inventories of $1 Coins at 1.105 Billion

This about says it all:

Reserve Bank inventories of dollars were at 1.105 billion coins through the second quarter of 2019 after peaking to 1.440 billion coins in the third quarter of 2012.

They have trended lower since that peak by about 4.1 million coins per month, indicating that there are enough dollars stored away to last over two decades.

20 years sounds optimistic to me... Heh...

@CaptHenway said:
    Thanks. I always thought that was 1955.

You are probably right that 1955 is when it was "perfected".

@BackroadJunkie

A significant portion of the authorizing legislation referred to dealt with the need to promote the new series of $1 coins aggressively so that they would not pile up in storage.
    Treasury and the Mint completely failed at this. They initially enlisted Walmart and Post Office vending machines in their half-hearted effort.

_… In order to remove barriers to circulation, the Secretary of the Treasury shall carry out an aggressive, cost- effective, continuing campaign to encourage commercial enterprises to accept and dispense $1 coins...

(b) REPORT.—The Secretary of the Treasury shall submit to Congress an annual report on the success of the efforts described in subsection (a).
    _
    The annual report each year has been short and sweet:

"Not much success again this year - a) no promotion efforts and b) the dollar note is still being produced."

edited October 8, 2019 9:26AM

,If the Mint would be so kind as to dispense these Coins at 90 cents each they might manage to get a few into circulation .... for a while. After a short time , they would need to decrease the asking price to even lower levels.

No one really wants to deal with Coins do they? Why do you think Bitcoin has become so popular ?

• edited to add a bit of further twisted tongue-in-cheek opinion.

In general anyone that carries any form of Cash is becoming a rare Bird. Forget about Coins. Myself , I routinely pay for Coffee with a Card. Burger King....... everything.

The only use I have for Cash is for when the Lotto gets up there above about $700 Million.

🤔

@BackroadJunkie

Where’s the thread on the Declaration of Independence? Cannot find it.

They are currently available (thanks @fox9487 for the notice.)

@Hemispherical said:
    @BackroadJunkie

I never started one. It didn't have a tie in to any coin, nor was it money, but part of the BEP's permanent catalog. (Didn't start one for the MLK or Cherry Blossom print, either.)

On the other hand, I think you found the thread...

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Hemispherical said:
    @BackroadJunkie

I never started one. It didn't have a tie in to any coin, nor was it money, but part of the BEP's permanent catalog. (Didn't start one for the MLK or Cherry Blossom print, either.)

On the other hand, I think you found the thread...

Thought you had one, too. I thought wrong.

Just checked, still available, too.

@FullStrike said:
    ,If the Mint would be so kind as to dispense these Coins at 90 cents each they might manage to get a few into circulation .... for a while. After a short time , they would need to decrease the asking price to even lower levels.

No one really wants to deal with Coins do they? Why do you think Bitcoin has become so popular ?

• edited to add a bit of further twisted tongue-in-cheek opinion.

In general anyone that carries any form of Cash is becoming a rare Bird. Forget about Coins. Myself , I routinely pay for Coffee with a Card. Burger King....... everything.

The only use I have for Cash is for when the Lotto gets up there above about $700 Million.

🤔

Given the lottery margins for the State, I don't know why they won't take credit cards. LOL.

Oh yeah. The proof set went on sale today. It doesn't look like anyone's noticed. :D

I passed. I'll probably end up doing the RP's though...

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Oh yeah. The proof set went on sale today. It doesn't look like anyone's noticed. :D

I passed. I'll probably end up doing the RP's though...

Had an alarm set. Didn’t remember why until I read this. Oh well. Unlimited all the way around. ;)

Page 6?...This thread seriously needed a bump.
    Anyway...

Got my proofs today and they REALLY look nice.
    I can honestly give the mint a thumbs up on this one :)

BTW...If I wanted to submit them to PCGS would I crack-em or just send them in the original mint packaging?

edited October 23, 2019 12:39PM

@ReadyFireAim said:
    Anyway...

BTW...If I wanted to submit them to PCGS would I crack-em or just send them in the original mint packaging?

Send them in the OGP.

If sending then please let us know the results.

Edit to add, FS eligible until 11 Nov.

https://www.pcgs.com/firststrike/

@ReadyFireAim said:
    Anyway...

So you're the one who bought it. (Actually, they sold 50K of the things in 9 days... I'm still fence sitting.)

PA goes on sale tomorrow, but I'm waiting for the Nov 7 sale of the DE RP...

edited October 23, 2019 1:17PM

I caved-in and went ahead and purchased two sets. Might get to me before FS deadline. Blaming @ReadyFireAim :D:)

Now that I broke the ice with this PF set I may need to do the RPF, too.

What have I gotten into... :#

edited October 23, 2019 2:16PM

@Hemispherical said:
    What have I gotten into... :#

A full set of Inno-Buck proofs is 114 coins.
    Misery loves company :D

• WALLEWALLE Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

Well you can ADD me to the club.

They say mine will be delivered tomorrow. I think not. They're still in Ft. Worth. These took an unusual route this time. TN to MS to OH to MO to TX. They could have just jumped on I40 and headed west 11hrs and 725 miles! What a cluster schmuck! :D

@smokincoin said:
    They say mine will be delivered tomorrow. I think not. They're still in Ft. Worth. These took an unusual route this time. TN to MS to OH to MO to TX. They could have just jumped on I40 and headed west 11hrs and 725 miles! What a cluster schmuck! :D

Looks like it avoided AR. Wondering if some type of major highway construction is happening... wait, there is always highway construction happening in AR. :D

@ReadyFireAim said:
    Anyway...

Got a set (x2). They ARE nice.

Now to figure out what to collect:

-PF only
    -RPF only
    -PF/RPF only

Probably do PF/RPF through 2020 and as long as there is no weirdness then I’ll continue. Weirdness is undefined as of yet...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file