Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The Boxing Card thread - post your latest or favorite pick-ups

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: miwlvrn
    Glad to help. BTW, you are looking at a G-VG 2.5 on the 121 and a Fair 1.5 on the 95 based on the degree of layer separation (assuming no MK on either back).

Yeah, I wasn't expecting these to grade too high, but couldn't pass them up at less than $3 for both and no PSA graded examples currently. There's no MK on either back, but I doubt I'd get the 2.5 on the first try, expecting a 2 & 1.5.

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LarkinCollector

Originally posted by: miwlvrn

Glad to help. BTW, you are looking at a G-VG 2.5 on the 121 and a Fair 1.5 on the 95 based on the degree of layer separation (assuming no MK on either back).

Yeah, I wasn't expecting these to grade too high, but couldn't pass them up at less than $3 for both and no PSA graded examples currently. There's no MK on either back, but I doubt I'd get the 2.5 on the first try, expecting a 2 & 1.5.

I subbed some of those last month, actually image

This card is now sold, but I scanned it before I shipped it out and thought I'd share the pics in case anyone was interested to see it; not the best looking Tyson card ever made, but this one out of Romania is likely the hardest to find out of all of his cards:

• Romania? Nice!
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    Wow never heard of that set before. Very cool
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
    Renewal sub just popped. 2 boxing items in it:

NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1932 Bulgaria Sport-Photo 256 Max Schmeling/Babe Ruth Card

GOOD 2 MC 1967 Figuritas Sport 149 Cassius Clay "Muhammed Ali"
  • image[/IMG]
    jesse6131414
  • my latest pickup been wanting a Mike Tyson rookie for a while now
    jesse6131414
    I can't get the link to work.

• halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    Picked up a Triple G

Bad cell phone pic ..

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • pics on the GGG
    jesse6131414
  • lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Message me if you have this card at a reasonable price

Wow, what an ugly example of buying the holder and not the card! I feel bad for the person who bought this one. This is another glaring example of PSA having made a mech error on the grade portion of the label. This 1967 Cassius Clay card has the album glue residue on back that always results in a grade of Good 2 with no chance of anything higher. I wonder if PSA would refund the difference in value if they send it in to be corrected (not that I'd expect the buyer would likely go that route)?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-PANINI-CASSIUS-CLAY-CAMPIONI-DELLO-SPORT-451-PSA-NM-7-BOXING-HOF-/371930335317?hash=item5698c68855:g:T4sAAOSw2xRYh88I&amp;nma=true&amp;si=9MzXqD88XzYp8UbrECCJyLkZIL4%3D&amp;orig_cvip=true&amp;rt=nc&amp;_trksid=p2047675.l2557

• NEW Welterweight World Champion my latest pick up

jesse6131414

anyone wanting to sell a panama al brown card..let me know..please

• @scooter729 said:
    The Jack Johnson is from a Cuban set called Susini, issued around 1915. Tough series to find - PSA only has 4 graded. And most of the ones found had been pasted into a scrapbook and are usually found with back damage.

I'm lucky enough to have two of these - here's the other one, with the back scanned as well.
    Scott

How much does it cost?

RIP Jake LaMotta, passed at 95 years young today. Very impressive that someone who took that many punches lived such a long life.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2017 3:20PM

Light heavyweight

W: 52, L: 21; Draw: 32

These Turkey Reds are really nice looking IMO.

Mike
    edited October 16, 2017 3:53PM

For those who are familiar with the 1911 Wills set, when you compare these scans to what you can find as other graded examples, does this have a chance at a bump? Despite the primary two flaws, it definitely has eye appeal far far greater than a 2 in my opinion.

(P.S.: sorry about the scanner lint)

@miwlvrn said:
    For those who are familiar with the 1911 Wills set, when you compare these scans to what you can find as other graded examples, does this have a chance at a bump? Despite the primary two flaws, it definitely has eye appeal far far greater than a 2 in my opinion.

(P.S.: sorry about the scanner lint)

I think the PSA 4 here has a similar surface dent below "American" at the bottom, and the corner wear is heavier, plus the edge chip visible on back.

ebay.com/itm/JACK-JOHNSON-1911-SCISSORS-CIGARETTES-TOBACCO-CARD-PSA-4-VG-EX-/222665158315?hash=item33d7e0aeab:g:OKwAAOSwjL5ZC2Iu

This PSA 5 has a lot more corner damage than my 2:

ebay.com/itm/1911-Wills-Green-Star-amp-Circle-Scissors-Back-Jack-Johnson-PSA-5-EX-PWCC-/401386193586?hash=item5d747b42b2%3Ag%3AOLIAAOSwx4JZlgdm&nma=true&si=wDKGqdI63kZz8nggc9OXeyZUJIA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Any thoughts on bump chance for this one are welcomed and appreciated, thanks.

My guess, the upper right corner on yours is considered slight paper loss and maxed you at a 2. If you rounded that corner cleanly, it's a 4.

I don't think the 4 should have been any higher than a 2, but back damage is frequently overlooked.

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2017 10:59AM

I suppose never say never so I'll say you have a non-zero chance at a bump. The top-right corner, dent, and paper loss on shorts and belt all secure its fate.

Thanks guys. On its own I can see why it is a 2, but by looks I like it better than the 4 & 5 I linked to above.

Picked up this Rare Globo Postcard ..looks like the Le Pie front but the back says globo...
    I looks in the internet found only one more like it..a young perez..any info would be appreciated !!!thanks

the b

Globo was a chewing gum company in France that lays claim to a few very difficult mid-'30s sets. That postcard set is one of them. I have the Joe Louis from the set.

Another one of their sets is the 1937 Globo Chewing Gum "Champions tous Sport." It's a 64 card set with the first 37 cards featuring boxers from that time period and a few legends. The set is popular for having cards of HOFers and sought-after fighters that otherwise don't have, or have very few, boxing cards -- "Panama" Al Brown, Young Perez, and Kid Francis. Both Perez and Francis have extraordinary stories that I encourage folks to read about.

The set contains a high percentage of IBHOFers -- 12 of the 37 fighters depicted are inducted: Carpentier, Dempsey, Louis, Schmeling, Braddock, Loughran, John Lewis, Marcel Thill, Criqui, Canzoneri, Ambers, and Al Brown.

The rest of the set consists of athletes from cycling, track & field, swimming, tennis, and auto racing. There are two interesting inclusions: Jesse Owens in the track & field section and Johnny Weismueller in the swimming section. Weismueller went to play the original Superman.

Cards rarely show up for sale. Virtually all of mine have come from two "finds," if you will, where a seller offered large chunks of a near set. One time I had no competition and the other time someone else spotted them as well and we basically ran each other up and ended up splitting the lots. I know that other buyer had made a large purchase once before, as well. For some reason, they just don't seem to show up as singles. There is an album so perhaps that's why.

I would consider a PSA 4 to be high-grade for this set.

Arthur

ETA: I still need 12 cards to finish this set if anyone happens upon this post.

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Globo was a chewing gum company in France that lays claim to a few very difficult mid-'30s sets. That postcard set is one of them. I have the Joe Louis from the set.

Another one of their sets is the 1937 Globo Chewing Gum "Champions tous Sport." It's a 64 card set with the first 37 cards featuring boxers from that time period and a few legends. The set is popular for having cards of HOFers and sought-after fighters that otherwise don't have, or have very few, boxing cards -- "Panama" Al Brown, Young Perez, and Kid Francis. Both Perez and Francis have extraordinary stories that I encourage folks to read about.

The set contains a high percentage of IBHOFers -- 12 of the 37 fighters depicted are inducted: Carpentier, Dempsey, Louis, Schmeling, Braddock, Loughran, John Lewis, Marcel Thill, Criqui, Canzoneri, Ambers, and Al Brown.

The rest of the set consists of athletes from cycling, track & field, swimming, tennis, and auto racing. There are two interesting inclusions: Jesse Owens in the track & field section and Johnny Weismueller in the swimming section. Weismueller went to play the original Superman.

Cards rarely show up for sale. Virtually all of mine have come from two "finds," if you will, where a seller offered large chunks of a near set. One time I had no competition and the other time someone else spotted them as well and we basically ran each other up and ended up splitting the lots. I know that other buyer had made a large purchase once before, as well. For some reason, they just don't seem to show up as singles. There is an album so perhaps that's why.

Arthur

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

Were there wrestlers in this set? Henri DeGlane etc? Does PSA grade these?

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

No wrestlers. Yes, PSA grades them.

Arthur

I dont see PSA grading the postcard set .have ubsubmitted any ?
    Brown was interesting read..
    As he was from Panama and he was not only the first Hispnic World Champ he was also the first openly gay fighter ...
    The new book is called black ink..
    Young Perez story is even more amazing ...

The difficulty with the PCs is dating them. I've yet to see a postally used one. I suppose if one of those pops up it shouldn't be too hard to get PSA to grade them, the checklist for each series is on the back.

Arthur

@ReggieCleveland said:
    The difficulty with the PCs is dating them. I've yet to see a postally used one. I suppose if one of those pops up it shouldn't be too hard to get PSA to grade them, the checklist for each series is on the back.

Arthur

So we do not know a year ?

• pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone, Merry Christmas.
    I'm not sure if I posted this question in the past, but does any of the experts here know if PSA would grade these?
    Sergeant Sammy Baker is a great-great uncle of mine and I always thought it was cool to have them on display.

No, PSA will not grade them. They look good in SGC holders though.

• pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

Here they are back from SGC...they definitely look great with the black border.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:

does anyone know about these ?

Nice card. Looks very rare. Panama Al Brown cards can be very hard to track down.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't collect boxing tho do have a few T9s.

I collect sports decanters and have an extra Ezra Brooks "Boxer" whisky decanter. It's about 15" tall.

If anyone wants it? I'd be happy to gift it to them - if it's a bit for shipping - I might ask for a few bucks.

Mike

@lawyer05 said:

does anyone know about these ?

Yes. 1930 Xocolata Viladas Agramunt - Quien Es El Campeon Mundial?, printed and distributed in Spain. I've subbed the entire set multiple times and come back N9 every time. There are two variations: one with no ad on back like yours, and the other has the Xocolata Viladas Agramunt in the bottom half on back side, similar to the ads you'd typically find on almost all of the thousands of pre-war sets from Spain that are advertising chocolate companies.

FWIW, the blank back versions are less common than the ad-back ones.

In case you're interested, here is the full checklist. I am certain about the year. There are many cards in the set with text on back where their content provide evidence of 1930 being accurate.

1930 Xocolata Viladas Agramunt - Quien Es El Campeon Mundial?

1 Header Card
    2 Harold Osborn (High Jump) U.S.A.
    3 Leo Goehring (Standing High Jump) U.S.A.
    4 Sylvio Cator (Long Jump) Haiti
    5 Anthony William "Nick" Winter (Triple Jump) Australia
    6 Sabin W. Carr (Pole Vault) U.S.A.
    7 John Kuck (Shot Put) U.S.A.
    8 Pat Ryan (Hammer Throw) U.S.A.
    9 Lemuel Clarence "Bud" Houser (Discus) U.S.A.
    10 Eino Penttila (Javelin) U.S.A.
    11 Frankie Genaro (Boxing) U.S.A.
    12 Panama Al Brown (Boxing) Panama
    13 Battling Battalino (Boxing) U.S.A.
    14 Sammy Mandell (Boxing) U.S.A.
    15 Jackie Fields (Boxing) U.S.A.
    16 Mickey Walker (Boxing) U.S.A.
    17 Tommy Loughran (Boxing) U.S.A.
    18 Max Schmeling (Boxing) Germany
    19 Charles Rigoulot (Weightlifting) France
    20 Charley Paddock (100m) U.S.A.
    21 Paavo Nurmi (300m) Finland
    22 Boughera El Ouafi (Marathon) France (Algeria)
    23 George Weightman-Smith (110m Hurdles) South Africa
    24 John Weissmuller (Swimming) U.S.A.
    25 Arne Borg (Swimming) Sweden
    26 Erich Rademacher (Swimming) Germany
    27 Pete Desjardins (Diving) U.S.A.
    28 Karl Bahre (Water Polo) Germany
    29 Rene Lacoste (Tennis) France
    30 Henri Cochet (Tennis) France
    31 Lucien Gaudin (Ojandin) (Fencing) France
    32 Lucien Michard (Cycling) France
    33 Georges Paillard (Cycling) France
    34 Georges Rousse (Cycling) Belgium
    35 Bert Barry (Rowing) England
    36 Sven Petersen (Petterson) (Ski Jumping) Norway
    37 Ernst Jakob Henne (Motorcycle Racing) Germany
    38 Sir Henry O'Neil de Hane Segrave (Auto Racing) England
    39 Augustus H. Orlebar (Aviation) England
    40 Dr. Hugo Eckener (Aviation (Zeppelin)) Germany
    41 Garfield Wood (Boat Racing) U.S.A.
    42 Alain Gerbault (Sailing) France

thank you so much
    you are the best , owe u a drink next year at the Nationals

Does anyone have any info on this Joe Louis card/sticker?

That one's a new one on me. Do you have a pic of the back?

@miwlvrn said:
    That one's a new one on me. Do you have a pic of the back?

The back scan is very blurry, so I can't make it out.

Well, that's where you'll need to start for tracking down the info on this set. If it were blank-backed anonymous, you may have been out of luck. With whatever is on the back on this one, you should be able to figure out what you need eventually.

@miwlvrn said:
    Well, that's where you'll need to start for tracking down the info on this set. If it were blank-backed anonymous, you may have been out of luck. With whatever is on the back on this one, you should be able to figure out what you need eventually.

Yes, I am definately going to look into it. I got my work cut out for me.