Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemoratives (19C[A-H], B49296, B49297, B15054, 19XA1, 19XA2)

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

Ohhhh Geez I just got the notice just delivered going out to the mail box! :p

Anticipation!

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

What does the inside of this box look like and will it hold our Apollos? <

I can only guess, but I expect the box to have the same foam insert that the baseball coin box had

(l8-)>>

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrat's Gluggo! Is it obvious why it's a 69'er? Mine are still in "process"...

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:
    Congrat's Gluggo! Is it obvious why it's a 69'er? Mine are still in "process"...

I am still a new collector especially on grading. I leave it to the others to judge but I can say it’s much better than the one the Mint tried to pawn off to me. But I returned it WITHIN THE 7 DAY RULE. Or I would of been stuck with it. I guess I am just learning enough if I pay attention to stay out of trouble. But the plastic itself and a few scuff marks but as long it was not on the coin. No smudges on the coin itself at least what time I spent looking. Just enough to snap a few shots and back to other weekend things. But its a thick very special holder that is for sure.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

(snip)

(snip)

I think I mentioned this earlier, the TPG's should offer a replacement insert that will fit in the OGP that holds the slab. (If it would fit.) At least you could use the packaging once the coin is entombed. :D

I should get a 3-D printer just to prototype stuff like this. They're getting cheap...

• Options

@Akbeez said:

Also processing... 🕰

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FullStrike said:
    The Moon Landing took place in 1969. Wouldn't a '69 graded piece be a little more appropriate than a 70 ?

I might be able to go after a 69 with smile on my face. 😎

Great shots @Gluggo , quite a camera setup you've got! I was hoping you'd get a 70, hoping someone around here gets a 70 back!!! But as FullStrike said, a 69 may be a little more appropriate!!!!!! :)

• Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

I liked @Gluggo ‘s pic of the 5oz reverse because it made me see something new in the footprint — tiny features reminiscent of air bubbles frozen in all the ice I’ve been sliding over outside these days.

So I took a loupe to my $1 proof (because I still haven’t been shipped my pucks :| ) and it looks like there are some raised, some inset little orbs and bumps in that footprint. Fascinating. Makes me want to study the original images of those bootmarks on the lunar surface.

Now I’ve heard some criticism of this design as “just a footprint” — but what a footprint it is! I could spend hours looking at the effects it has on that dusty lunar surface. With that one-giant-leap stamped down on the concave surface, and the helmet reflection framing the convex side, this has got to be the coolest modern commem the Mint has made... by far.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FullStrike said:
    The Moon Landing took place in 1969. Wouldn't a '69 graded piece be a little more appropriate than a 70 ?

If I send in 20 for grading I will probably get 19 69's.

• Options

@planetsteve said:

Posted some of these awhile back, but now there are 29 pages to go through and easier to re-post a few.

From the NASA archives:

https://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11_eva_thumbs.html

“Photographs by Buzz Aldrin”

“Buzz plants his boot in the soil for the boot penetration (soil mechanics) task and records the result a few metres in front of the lunar module.”

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    These New Frontier medals are available from the Mint for the space theme at $6.95, but already on backorder.

!

I purchased the 3" version several years ago. It's about the same size as the 5 oz silver Apollo 11 silver coin.
    https://catalog.usmint.gov/new-frontier-bronze-medal-3-inch-920.html?cgid=humanitarian-cultural#_ga=2.1072625.1781464394.1551322608-1928147512.1535839888&start=1

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@OPA said:

@Goldminers said:
    These New Frontier medals are available from the Mint for the space theme at $6.95, but already on backorder.

!

I purchased the 3" version several years ago. It's about the same size as the 5 oz silver Apollo 11 silver coin.
    https://catalog.usmint.gov/new-frontier-bronze-medal-3-inch-920.html?cgid=humanitarian-cultural#_ga=2.1072625.1781464394.1551322608-1928147512.1535839888&start=1

Awesome medals!

• Options

Thanks for the heads-up on these medals. Now when did they go on sale? I totally missed it. I’ll order a 3” shortly.

Thanks @Goldminers , and thanks @Hemispherical for the lunar images!

• Options

Yes thank you for the bronze information, and planetsteve I just put a order in on “backorder” and it told me March 8 is the completion order date only a few days. Though you should know.

• Options
    edited March 3, 2019 10:23AM

@planetsteve said:
    Thanks for the heads-up on these medals. Now when did they go on sale? I totally missed it. I’ll order a 3” shortly.

@Gluggo said:
    Yes thank you for the bronze information, and planetsteve I just put a order in on “backorder” and it told me March 8 is the completion order date only a few days. Though you should know.

FYI. The medals do not come with presentation cases. The cases cost extra from the Mint:

3”

1.5”

https://catalog.usmint.gov/storage/medal-cases/

• Options

I was going to ask at some point about how people store their Mint medals. The cases above, like those for commems, are kind of bulky and cumbersome. That 3” model looks good tho, and I don’t expect to collect many in that size, so I’ll probably grab one with the Apollo 3” medal. Thanks for the tip.

• Options
    edited March 3, 2019 10:41AM

For the 1.5” Bronze Medal “ March 8th “ was the back order completion date. I just ordered some of the 1.5” medals that is how I know at least that was the date as of 8:20 am Alaska time, :* when I put my order in. Thought you should know and the date may change as more orders come in. ;)

• Options

Interesting vid of the Apollo gold and 5oz silver coins. For those who are still waiting for their Mint shipment and/or for those who shipped to a TPGS and forgot what the coins looked like. ;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gmqXOY2wiwM

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2019 7:21PM

@planetsteve said:

Those medals have been for sale since 2011.

Public Law 111–44, which authorized the United States Mint to strike the New Frontier Congressional Gold Medal, also authorizes the bureau to strike and issue three–inch, and one and one–half–inch bronze reproductions of the medal. The bronze medals, priced at $44.95 (three–inch) and $7.95 (one and one–half–inch), will be available for purchase from the United States Mint at noon Eastern Time on November 16, 2011

https://www.usmint.gov/news/press-releases/20111116-congressional-gold-medal-presented-to-apollo-11-astronauts-and-first-american-to-orbit-the-earth

I display my 3" in direct fit holders on coin easels.

Not an exact fit, but it'l do.

correction: it's the Z10 Airt-Tite Direct Fit holder that fits the 3", but they won't snap completely close because of the high relief of the US Mint medals.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers - Your post prompted me to order a 1.5" and 3" medal. Back order on the small one but it is scheduled to ship soon. Thanks

I captured the video above and put it in my Google Drive if any one wants a copy for their files.
    https://drive.google.com/u/0/video/captions/edit?id=1yHZc4JQTTOtFVtBnDRLsAgw2bUJWSt-r

• Options

WOW, the prices actually went down since 2011. That is a rare event indeed. I also just bought one of each, took me 8 years to find them. One of these days I hope I find that 1911 S Indian Eagle in MS64 that I have been looking for.

• Options

That is great news @Gluggo have enough different types of storage boxes as it is. ;)

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

The PF70 flip premium for these coins has been impressive thus far (I've just looked at Ebay and a few other places).

PF69 coins are widely available with minimal markup over the grading fees. I found the 5 oz puck for $309 Or Best Offer shipped and the gold proof for $482 Or Best Offer shipped.

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

My puck order from the mint is now processing. :)

• Options

@smokincoin said:

Came here to see if anyone else had a report. Yup, me too. B)

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    That is great news @Gluggo have enough different types of storage boxes as it is. ;)

Just to be clear it is a tight fit. You will have to cut clear through the styrofoam in order for the holder to rest directly on the bottom of the plastic holder. The top lid will rest directly on the holder. But it just clears so the lid will close snugly. With the foam it will store secure.

• Options

@planetsteve said:

@smokincoin said:

Came here to see if anyone else had a report. Yup, me too. B)

@planetsteve @smokincoin Are these the opening day puck orders?

• Options

Mine is, most definitely. I was all prepped and got my order in as soon as the Mint’s hamster wheel-powered server would let me. Well under ten minutes in.

CC just sent me a notification and the Mint now says Processing. Now, I hope they don’t change their minds and put it back to backorder. ;)

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

@Hemispherical Yes. 12:09 or so.

• Options

When I put my order in with the Mint I always use the Pay Pal link. I think it goes faster and quicker is there any feeling about this? Is the Credit Card purchase SLOWER than using Pay Pal? When seconds count I use Pay Pal! ;):/:*

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    When I put my order in with the Mint I always use the Pay Pal link. I think it goes faster and quicker is there any feeling about this? Is the Credit Card purchase SLOWER than using Pay Pal? When seconds count I use Pay Pal! ;):/:*

I (almost) always have a low order number, and I use a credit card.

Having reconciled my credit card not to long ago, using this one particular card got me $65 cashback (about a 3.7%) for my Apollo 11 commem purchases.

That's why I love my credit cards. :D

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine is also processing. Ordered because of clogged ordering server @ about 10 minutes in + or -

• Options

It sounds like those who did not get the immediate shipment when ordered on 24 Jan are now getting processed... Guessing that is about 40 or so days for the Mint to make additional Apollos and process for shipment. Interesting.

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    It sounds like those who did not get the immediate shipment when ordered on 24 Jan are now getting processed... Guessing that is about 40 or so days for the Mint to make additional Apollos and process for shipment. Interesting.

My 12:08 (backordered) order placed first day was shipped on the last First Strike eligible day. (It should get here today.)

So they've been trickling out for a little while now.

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Hemispherical said:

My 12:08 (backordered) order placed first day was shipped on the last First Strike eligible day. (It should get here today.)

So they've been trickling out for a little while now.

Revised estimate... about 30-40 days from 24 Jan. Not to bad considering the limitatation of equipment and dies.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember these labels, they seem like the rare ones now.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have to be a little slow to return the Half dollar sets when they are selling for a premium...unless it is missing the Kennedy, I suppose.

• Options

@Backroadjunkie, Thanks for the complete summary that you keep up on the first page in post 3.

It is a really good way to see the trends and appreciated. Looks to me like the moon dust has settled.

Time to get ready for the Legion to come in about a week.

And I am also still waiting for my grades on 4 pucks.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

I should have bought 1000 of the half dollar sets. It may end up being the only real flip opportunity of the year. I mean the 5 oz pucks were a good initial flip because of the production delays, but those were unavailable in 6 or 7 minutes.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    I should have bought 1000 of the half dollar sets. It may end up being the only real flip opportunity of the year. I mean the 5 oz pucks were a good initial flip because of the production delays, but those were unavailable in 6 or 7 minutes.

Thankfully I only collect silver Kennedy's, so I just was not interested in that set even though, yes it sure is popular with many. Now if that 2019 was .999 silver, that would have gotten my attention.

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

Doing a quick search yesterday it appears those flipping the PF70's are doing well. I found the PF69 5 oz puck for $309 or best offer shipped compared to $535 obo for the PF70 on Ebay. I found the PF69 gold for $482 obo compared to $600 obo for the PF70 shipped on Ebay.

I searched for the lowest listing prices with offers accepted. Who knows what those sellers are actually getting for offers or at what markup. Once the current auctions close that will be a more accurate gauge of the flip margin of course.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file