Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2019 Rocketship! (19XGC) (Sold Out..,.)

Comments

• Options
    cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

Bought 20 more, just in case. I could see the TV hucksters flipping these easily. It was only $199.00 less than the premium on some coins I've bought.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@Goldminers said:
    I have a bad feeling this will now sell out, or go backorder in a minute...too many presales out there already.

Not the case....Obviously the "masses" do not know of it's existence. B)

This is one time I am glad I am wrong. Still I see many actual sold above $25 on eBay so a few people out there know about them.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2019 10:19AM

Reminds me of Flash Gordon, yes I ordered 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUbGkSfaKrs

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2019 10:21AM

Trying to rush home to my putor!!!!!!
    Aaaarrrrgh behind a school bus !!!!!

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tetromibi said:

@jclovescoins said:
    hope they sell out soon...

Saw that before the edit. shhh!

So did I. B)

• Options

@spotthedog said:
    Eli. The mint rep.

Eli got a broke foot/leg. :'(;):)

• Options
    cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

Download the app for your phone!

• Options

My initial 2 just shipped. Pretty quick for the Mint.

• Options

@Goldminers said:

I agree. PFSWeb must have had the two-pack pre-boxed and slapped the FEDEX shipping labels on when payment confirmed.

• Options

@Gluggo said:

Don’t rush. Bus, fuel tankers, and snow. Be safe @Gluggo.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

@Goldminers said:

I agree. PFSWeb must have had the two-pack pre-boxed and slapped the FEDEX shipping labels on when payment confirmed.

Makes you wonder how they'd get the packing slip inside the box... :wink:

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Hemispherical said:

@Goldminers said:

Okay, that means there are going to be a few boxes that are not going to be completely closed... I was trying to root for PFSWeb. Cough! ;)

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

They can see the future, too.

• Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

I bought me some rocket ships!

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• Options
    WALLEWALLE Posts: 240 ✭✭✭✭

NGC designation options for Rocketship 2019 coins

The U.S. Mint set, which includes a Native American dollar and a Kennedy half dollar, goes on sale today. Submissions must be received in the sealed U.S. Mint shipping box to be eligible for the “Rocketship Set” pedigree. See the “Submission Instructions” section of this article.
    The 2019 Rocketship U.S. Mint sets go on sale today. (Scroll below to see detailed submission instructions.)
    The set includes a 2019-S Proof Native American $1 coin featuring Mary Golda Ross, a Native American engineer, and an astronaut representing Native American space pioneers like John Herrington. It also features an Uncirculated 2019-D half dollar, which shows President John F. Kennedy, the man who pushed the U.S. forward during the Space Race of the 1960s and whose name is now enshrined as part of NASA’s main launching facility at Cape Canaveral, Florida.
    The U.S. Mint has limited the sets to 50,000 coins, and has announced an order limit of two per household.
    NGC is celebrating this historic set with a ”Rocketship Set”pedigree, which will be listed separately in the NGC Census. There is an additional $5 fee per coin for this designation.
    Coins received by NGC within the first 30 days of their release are eligible for NGC’s popular Early Releases and First Releases designations. Learn more about Early Releases and First Releaseshere. For Early Releases / First Releases cutoff dates, click here.
    Submission Instructions:
    The 2019 Rocketship Mint Set must be received in the sealed U.S. Mint shipping box to receive the Rocketship Set pedigree.
    There is an additional $5 fee for the special set pedigree.
    All coins received in a sealed Mint shipping box must be graded.
    Submit these coins under the Modern grading tier or higher.
    The default label is NGC’s Standard Brown Label #377.

• Options
    Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 406 ✭✭✭

Photo from ngc IG page

Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Hemi for posting the Kennedy varieties. I still have the K-14 sets so will pull one out and compare. And ... still able to purchase more Rockets! WooHoo!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hasn't the half had the '1964' relief since 2014? Or did the Mint go back to the flat relief in 2015?

• Options
    spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

I want to know RIGHT NOW! Will these be valuable? TELL ME!

• Options

They will be worth $1.50 is my best guess. Plus maybe a few fun times looking at the pretty glow and the dark carboard with the kids.

• Options

The NGC pic Booger posted does not appear to be the high relief variety.
    Re-posted here for comparison:

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2019 2:12PM

@spotthedog said:

🎲

• Options
    edited March 1, 2019 4:45PM

Definitely that one is not accented hair either as the I in Liberty has the serif on the lower left like normal ones. Let alone the hair, etc.

Edited to say I think the biggest difference in the enhanced was the nicer SP finish and this one in the Rocket posted above by ngc IG page looks like they just grabbed regular circulated coins out of a bag for these, dings and all.

However maybe a few of us will get a Sacajawea missing edge lettering? LOL

• Options
    edited March 1, 2019 2:44PM

The U S mint rep referred to them as "enhanced" finish. (Rep at Baltimore). Oh well.

• Options

I was at the Philly mint today and picked up a rocket ship

coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2019 3:45PM

Surprised that pics of these aren't showing up here yet -- maybe not available at the Mint Stores?

Edit: Spoke too soon!! How does the Kennedy compare with the 2014? Hard to tell with this pic.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Twobitcollector said:

This half looks better than the previous 2019.

• Options
    Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 406 ✭✭✭

@renman95 said:

@Twobitcollector said:

This half looks better than the previous 2019.

Looks like a totally different coin! NGC posted the picture on Instagram but it is ugly. Can someone who has a set in hand post a better picture?

Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options

@spotthedog said:
    The U S mint rep referred to them as "enhanced" finish. (Rep at Baltimore). Oh well.

Well the picture of the rocket coin above sure looks better than the NGC picture and maybe it is enhanced finish. Guess we have to wait until some Kennedy collectors can say for sure when they see one up close.

• Options

Coin Facts

2017-S SP70 Enhanced Finish

• Options

The coin in that rocket ship holder picture above has a MS-PL like look to me or SP, but pictures just don't work as they vary so much. Look at all of these SP 2014-D Kennedy's and how they vary..

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/2014-d-50c-unc-set-50th-anniversary/images/530183

By the time my two arrive in a week, this question will probably have been solved by someone else who is able to get them quick and slabbed. Waiting for our hosts to confirm they will grade them as well.

• Options
    edited March 1, 2019 8:51PM

Here's the 2014 high relief from my sets, shows the relief better at an angle.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spotthedog said:

google "magic 8 ball" and ask the almighty oracle...

We won't know until someone gets these in-hand, and if that's in the next couple of days, it means someone probably paid $12.95 or more in shipping to get a $9.95 product, and they may not want to fess up to that. (Though I think there's someone here who lives close to the distribution center and gets his smartpost the next day...)

If the Kennedy is unique, then the answer is a definite maybe. They had no problem selling out the 100K Apollo half sets, and 50K is pretty low number, even for a Kennedy. :wink: It'll be like the 2000 Sacabuck C&C set that everyone wasn't impressed with until they found out the dollar was burnished, then the feeding frenzy began. There were only 75K C&C sets produced, so 50K is in the realm of possibility. (The first four RP Presibucks were all under 50K, the first two had a 17K mintage.)

If the Kennedy is a plain ol' uncirc Kennedy, then it's an amusement only product, but still might be worth the $9.95 entry price. They'll sit on your desk like sea-monkeys, and will give amusement until they die off and you replace it with something else. (I'm putting an SLQ in mine.)

Yes, I'm waiting for a download to finish and am just some wasting time...

• Options

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

As soon as someone says, "The Kennedy is unique and has more value!" Expect an immediate sell-out!!!!!!!!
    For instance, the composition is heavy with Zinc Sulfide making the actual coin glow green in the dark!!!!

How many are left?

• Options
    edited March 2, 2019 6:15AM

Comparison Pics

Coin Facts (top and bottom), Middle (from @Twobitcollector thanks!)

2014 SP (Type 5) Clad Anniversary

@Twobitcollector pic

2018 MS Clad

• Options

It almost looks like less defined hair on middle one.

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless I'm missing something, I dont see any discernible difference between the 2018 and 2019 halves.

• Options
    fox9487fox9487 Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

@jabba said:
    I see eBay listening for $25 😯

That's a steal compared to the one listed for $29.00 PLUS $21.20 shipping. Oh My

Successful Transactions: Coinflip, bp777, firstspousecoins, Akbeez, jmlanzaf, JWP
  • Options

@jabba said:

Couple sold on the Bay... Mint is not sold out, either. Mint really needs to publicize.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

doesn't make sense to buy just one or two. go all in and buy 10

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any idea how many of the 50K have sold thus far?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@Hemispherical said:

@jabba said:

Couple sold on the Bay... Mint is not sold out, either. Mint really needs to publicize.

Some people just do not know any better. The seller on those two sold listings made a good profit but at least they did not outright gouge the buyer on shipping. Seriously, take a look at the current listings on Ebay. How can anyone with a good conscience ask for $21.50 shipping for a single $9.95 US mint issue price item. A flat rate padded USPS mailer is in the $7.00 range with $50 insurance included. It really is disgusting and certainly someone I would not ever want to associate with.

Successful Transactions: Coinflip, bp777, firstspousecoins, Akbeez, jmlanzaf, JWP
  • Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

Does it make sense to have these graded? I kind of think that defeats the purpose to some extent as it's supposed to be a fun display item and not something slabbed away in a drawer.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

another shot:

• Options

Need a Kennedy expert to get opinions. The set description says "The Kennedy half dollars feature the original 1964 obverse (heads) design with the image of President John F. Kennedy." In 2014, the two-coin set says "Each coin features the 1964 Kennedy half–dollar coin design on the coin, but is inscribed with the year 2014." These descriptions seem very similar.

The Redbook describes the 2014 set as "high relief", but nowhere does the Mint use that term -- that I could find.

• Options

@jabba said:
    Maybe people don’t know you can order from the mint?
    Did anyone find out for sure if they coins in the set where special in anyway?

Guess that is the $9.95 question. People who already have them in hand should be able to answer that. My opinion is no, looks to be a regular issue Kennedy. Of course keep them sealed, submit and get a label that gives them Rocketship set designation label. To the moon Alice.

• Options

@CoinPhysicist said:
    Does it make sense to have these graded? I kind of think that defeats the purpose to some extent as it's supposed to be a fun display item and not something slabbed away in a drawer.

You answered your own question in a round about way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file