Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

North/South/Central American Coins Thursday, let's see them!

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    I bought this coin about 8 years ago. It was struck for use in the British Colonies but is generally classified as British West Indies, so I consider it North American. They never got beyond the pattern stage.

Designed by the famous William Wyon.

Very cool

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice additions, everyone.

@Boosibri Brian, being only casually familiar with Columbian Cundinamarcas, what makes that coin special?

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

@Boosibri Brian, being only casually familiar with Columbian Cundinamarcas, what makes that coin special?

These coins usually come with significant planchet flaws, are poorly stuck, environmental damage, etc etc. I consider the eye appeal of my N50 to be exceptional for the issue.

Here is are two 62's which are essentially finest known which sold for $16k & $11k respectively. I compare my N50 favorably to both pieces aesthetically:

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread continues to deliver!

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just realized a set of these BWI patterns were in the Doug Robins collection.

For more background on this issue, here is what the cataloguer said:

In the early 1820s the British government began the production of coins representing fractions of the Spanish-American dollar. Silver fractional coins of 1/16 to 1/2 dollar were struck in 1820-22 for Mauritius and the West Indies. In 1823 dies were engraved by William Wyon for copper 1/100 and 1/50 dollar coins for Sierra Leone and other British colonies using the Spanish-American dollar and its fractions. A small number of specimens and a larger quantity of business strikes were produced. However, the business strikes were never issued and went into the melting pot in 1825 because the people of Sierra Leone showed little interest in them and British policy had moved in favor of encouraging the use of British Imperial coin in the colonies. The 1823 British Colonies patterns were included in Mr. Robins' collection because early catalogers, especially Breton, included them in their Canadian titles.

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

These coins usually come with significant planchet flaws, are poorly stuck, environmental damage, etc etc. I consider the eye appeal of my N50 to be exceptional for the issue.

Here is are two 62's which are essentially finest known which sold for $16k & $11k respectively. I compare my N50 favorably to both pieces aesthetically:

@Boosibri do you own either/both of those? They are fabulous!!!

• Options

@pruebas said:

@Boosibri said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

I do not but saw them in hand. I only own the N50 from a few posts up.

• Options
    edited January 17, 2019 9:28AM

@Boosibri said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

Thanks Brian - appreciate you sharing your thinking on these. I remember seeing the Millenia example and not being too impressed by it, although i don't think it had any field / planchet defects. I think it was a 61 or 62.

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@pruebas said:

@Boosibri said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

I do not but saw them in hand. I only own the N50 from a few posts up.

You gotta get one for your collection!

• Options

@TwoKopeiki

There must have been a hoard or significant mintage of the 1805-Mo's as most of the really attractive 64's I have seen have been this date/issue. Here is mine:

• Options
    edited January 17, 2019 10:37AM

@Boosibri Beautiful example. There's another P64 in Atlas' inventory, as well. Haven't heard anything about a hoard, but it is one of the most common dates in the Mexico portrait series second to only Ferdinand VII's 1809-TH.

The order is something like: 1754 pillar (hoard coin), 1821 Zacatecas (produced in multiple years), 1809-TH, 1805-TH, 1808-TH Charles IIII, 1810-HJ, 1807-TH, 1806-TH (although not as many MS examples)

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Nice @Boosibri

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    I just realized I haven't added any of my NEWPs to this thread since last February and the 1802/1 I picked-up from Andy at the 2018 NYINC. Adding for posterity. Apologies to all who already saw these in the previous thread.

Love the 1789.
    Wish I still had it.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki - great coins. Always tough from pics but that 1794 in 63+ you just got is outstanding!

My current "Box of 20"

• Options

@TwoKopeiki that is a very eye-appealing group. Have you completed the series and are upgrading? Or are there coins you are still missing?

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:

@Yorkshireman said:

Love the 1789.
    Wish I still had it.

Lee, it's a beauty. I was going to get out of Carlos III portraits until that coin. Now I have 2 out of 3 transitional busts and will look to finish the set with a similarly original 1790 Carolus IV

Here's my other transitional. Also AU53:

@pruebas said:

@TwoKopeiki that is a very eye-appealing group. Have you completed the series and are upgrading? Or are there coins you are still missing?

Thank you. Over the last year I've taken a good hard look at my set (I was missing only a handful of coins at that time from the 1791-1821 run) and realized that somewhere along the way I got too focused on the registry and, as a result, added a lot of coins over the years that I was not 100% happy with just to fill the holes. As a result, I sold close to 30 coins from my primary collection and used the money to add the coins you see above. That also put me way behind in terms of set completion, but for the first time in a long time - i'm completely fine with it.

Need an upgrade?

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

@Yorkshireman said:

Love the 1789.
    Wish I still had it.

Lee, it's a beauty. I was going to get out of Carlos III portraits until that coin. Now I have 2 out of 3 transitional busts and will look to finish the set with a similarly original 1790 Carolus IV

Here's my other transitional. Also AU53:

@pruebas said:

Thank you. Over the last year I've taken a good hard look at my set (I was missing only a handful of coins at that time from the 1791-1821 run) and realized that somewhere along the way I got too focused on the registry and, as a result, added a lot of coins over the years that I was not 100% happy with just to fill the holes. As a result, I sold close to 30 coins from my primary collection and used the money to add the coins you see above. That also put me way behind in terms of set completion, but for the first time in a long time - i'm completely fine with it.

Need an upgrade?

Always, if the price is right ;)

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2019 9:59AM

It's 2:00 am, August 28, 1918.

You are awakened from a drunken stupor by the sounds of yelling and gunshots. You fumble in the dark, trying to remember where you are. The warm, spice-scented air wafts through the window and on it, night sounds of crickets and cicadas, intermingled with sounds of commotion, panic, and thunder in the distance. You reach for a match and, in the flickering light, see the pile of cash you won on the night stand.
    Piecing together the events of the last 3 days, you realize:

"Nogales. I'm in Nogales".

But is it Nogales, Sonora or Nogales, Arizona? And then you hear double-timed bootsteps in the hall, and a pounding on the door in time with the pounding in your head...

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

@Weiss - love the backstory :) Pesos and Reales are nice, too!

• Options

@Weiss I think he is in Nogales, AZ!

• Options

Crap, @Abuelo . Maybe it was me who had that whole bottle of mezcal!

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will you stake a fellow American to a meal?

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    edited January 24, 2019 1:25PM

As I watch the slow boat shipping from Dallas, TX, I gotta make due with another cheap thrill from one of the local shops:

Topical for current events and a possible 10,000,000 % inflation for 2019:

1929 5 Bolivares Y#24.2 (low 9?)

I can't pass up cheap ~100 year old central- and South-American silver crowns.

This one struck me, no pun intended, by the chop at 12:00. It's relatively deep, crisp and seemingly purpose-placed. And as you can see it's got a 3-dimensionality where the arms of the stars come to an incuse point in the center of the punch.

Thoughts? Could it have really traveled overseas? Maybe a local version of a chopmark? Just plain old post mint damage? Or was there a revaluation that this might have designated?

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2019 6:28PM

@pruebas so you did it...

• Options

@Abuelo said:
    @pruebas so you did it...

🤔

• Options

@pruebas I was bidding for that coin... now I know where it ended up.

• Options

@Abuelo said:
    @pruebas I was bidding for that coin... now I know where it ended up.

Are you sure? I had the only bid on it, IIRC.

• Options
    edited January 31, 2019 6:44PM

@pruebas Is it the 64?

• Options

@pruebas I think I confused it with the Norweb that Heritage sold in 2016... :s

• Options

@Abuelo said:

Yes, it is not the Norweb/Rudman coin. That was a different type.

• Options

@pruebas said:

@Abuelo said:

Same type, KM309 with 8R value under the eagle.

• Options
    edited January 31, 2019 7:14PM

@Abuelo said:

@pruebas said:

@Abuelo said:

Same type, KM309 with 8R value under the eagle.

The Norweb was a KM-308, or so the holder said. I’m no expert on these though.

• Options

@pruebas Both are 309.

• Options
    edited January 31, 2019 7:18PM

Yes, upon further study, I see you’re correct. The Norweb coin was misattributed by NGC and HA as KM-308.

I believe they both came from the same source. That owner sold the Norweb coin to Rudman and my coin to the Millennia collector.

• Options

Yes, the 308 has the 8R at 10 o'clock and is substantially rarer.

• Options

Lovely Iturbide, I need one for my collection