Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Has everyone seen that 01-S in PC MS65 up for auction? Wow!
    At coin and price.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Need an oxygen tank to view it
    Pretty high up there

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa ... Jeff, I saw your '96-S half dollar in your Everyman Type Set... prooflike? seems pretty rare in that condition. The TrueView is stellar too... nice!

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased the '96 S Half from Don Willis about 3 years ago when his set he sold his set (by piece). Yes it's a proof-like:

The coin in hand looks like my shot; proof like fields and frosted devices. Since the coin circulated there are a lot of minor abrasion scratches (as seen in my photo).

The True View shot changed the lighting to eliminate the scratches, but also the PL fields:

I really liked this coin and paid WAY up for it, but have no intent to sell it anytime soon.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

oih8 - Nice looking '88 V Nick. Selling?

olympicsos - They'd sure be a nice change of style from our current tired designs.

KAJ1 - 01-S in 65? Can't find it. Heritage?

Jeff - That 96-S is such a tough date. Glad you have one you like. I'm still looking for the right 40-45.

Pics for this PM, newp into Elmo's collection, PC-PR-65:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

Vern,
    It was a DL auction, It went for 78k.

• Options

KAJ - Thanks. Never have seen that one before. OGH and CAC (and hit on the chin).

Merry Christmas to all.

Pics for this PM, a raw coin in Paesan' s Stash:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2018 3:43AM

@KAJ1 said:
    Has everyone seen that 01-S in PC MS65 up for auction? Wow!
    At coin and price.

Keys in upper eschelon grades!... reminds me of this previous sale:

Ira & Larry Goldberg Auctions previously sold this NGC 67+ '13-S - see link provided... they have another auction coming up with some Barbers in 2019 - recently announced (a lot of proof Barber quarters including an NGC MS69 Proof Cameo 1911-P) - see link provided.

• Options

I took a look at the 67+ '13 S Quarter; I'm shocked that it's in a holder better than a 62. Look at all the hits on the neck!

• Options
    scodalscodal Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

A couple of new pick ups:

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2018 1:51PM

@scodal said:

nice RPM on that '93 S

also, nice conditions, my best '93 S is a P-62, toned.

On the '96 O, I have a F+ and then never had the chance to go better

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt said:

@scodal said:

nice RPM on that '93 S

also, nice conditions, my best '93 S is a P-62, toned.

On the '96 O, I have a F+ and then never had the chance to go better

Thank you! I hadn't gone looking for an RPM but it was definitely icing on the cake for what I'd consider to be an otherwise pretty and well-struck dime (PC58). The 96-O is currently in an NGC 62 holder but we'll see what happens when it crosses. That's the rarest issue for certified specimens in the series (at least in AU range, and I'd assume that holds true across the board), and took two and a half years to locate an upgrade from a 53.

• Options
    edited December 27, 2018 4:36AM

@scodal said:

Wow. @scodal Great job on the newps.

Vern, Merry Christmas to you (and everyone in addition) as well.

Jeff, The old saying to "buy the coin and not the holder" rings true. Also, that '96-S half I agree is a keeper... especially being so unique.

• Options

I love that 93-S!

• Options

Jeff - Agree with you on the 13-S qtr in 67+, hits like that on a 67+, c'mon.

scodal - Congrats on the two tough newps. The 96-O is my favorite of dates.

Pics for this PM, another from Paesan's raw stash (centered MM):

Vern
    l
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I finally got the 1908-O RPD301. The repunching is in the upper loop of the 8 and NE outside the 8 in the date. I have been looking for this variety for a long time and was able to get this coin from forum member voyageur. Thanks for looking and comments welcome.

• Options

Another recent pickup. Not as darkly-toned as the photo suggests and pretty in hand. The die chip in Liberty's hair is also a cool feature:

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

JeffM, I don't post a lot on this thread, but FYI that 96-S in 58, was mine for a little while. I "overpaid" at a Heritage auction and immediately started getting offers. Ponyexpress sold it for me to Don. Small world.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

@shorecoll said:
    JeffM, I don't post a lot on this thread, but FYI that 96-S in 58, was mine for a little while. I "overpaid" at a Heritage auction and immediately started getting offers. Ponyexpress sold it for me to Don. Small world.

Thanks for the information- it's great to know the history of a coin. Wouldn't it be cool if we had a way to trace ownership back to when it was removed from circulation?

I finally purchased a Barber Coin to fill a hole in a set, a 1903 S Dime:

I'm now missing two coins in my Dime set.

• Options

@shorecoll said:

When you purchased the coin was it in the current holder? I can't find an Auction record of it.....

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2019 6:04PM

Any of you Barber quarter guys have any mint state "S" mint quarters for sale/trade from the 19th and 20th century? I was looking through my type set and one from each century will complete it. Nothing white and dipped please as I prefer toning and originality probably MS62-64 would be a goal.

Here is a half from my type set!

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was not in the current holder and not CAC. It was a Mike Hayes coin in the Heritage 8/11 sale. I'm not 100% sure it's the same, but that coin came to me and went to Don...he may have swapped it for another.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Wouldn't it be cool if we had a way to trace ownership back to when it was removed from circulation?

Enthusiastic YES!!!

• Options

@shorecoll said:
    It was not in the current holder and not CAC. It was a Mike Hayes coin in the Heritage 8/11 sale. I'm not 100% sure it's the same, but that coin came to me and went to Don...he may have swapped it for another.

I took a look at that one- it's not the same coin. Apparently Don bought that one and found one he liked better later.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still adding upgrades to my set. I like the coin more than the holder.

• Options
    edited January 8, 2019 1:56PM

Lots of nice barbers posted here since I last posted.

Looking forward to attending FUN this year, first time in at least a decade. erwindoc, if I'm lucky I might find an AU 1893-S or 1902-S that thrills me. If so my MS example could be available. But that's a big if.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2019 8:04PM

Vern,

I haven't even tried looking for myself yet for mint state "S" coins. Thought I would ask some of you guys here. I have a local show coming up in February (Knoxville) that I try to attend, so maybe Ill find one there. The mint state set is a back seat project anyway to my album set! Ill post some images later on. It has been fun so far!

Jason

• Options

Had a great time at FUN, and added 3 coins to my collection, but no barbers.

Jason - Good luck in Knoxville.

Pics for this PM, an oldie but a goodie, PC30:

Vern
    l
  • Options

I found an 1899-P Barber dime in nice AU raw. Check out all the die cracks... a whole section die crack is in the northwest portion.

• T

• Options

@sedulous said:
    I found an 1899-P Barber dime in nice AU raw. Check out all the die cracks... a whole section die crack is in the northwest portion.

That's a really nice raw find!

• Options

I won this tonight. Think it will cross? I know... hard to tell from Images. I guess I will have a better idea when in hand.

• Options

I sold this coin a while back when I needed some funds.
    Brought her back home a few weeks ago!

• Options

Tim - I like those die cracks as well, good find.

KAJ - Looks like plenty of luster, I'd guess you'll have a good chance of getting the cross. And beautiful V Nick, congrats on bringing her back home.

Pics for this PM, a half that recently came back home, PC53:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Nice Half, Vern. I had to miss FUN this year- too many demands from clients. Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you, Vern...

• Options

@KAJ1 said:
    I won this tonight. Think it will cross? I know... hard to tell from Images. I guess I will have a better idea when in hand.

1899-S has nice luster Keith. I agree with Vern it should cross dependant upon the darker toned cheek area and if that portion shows any wear once you see it in hand... can't tell from the pixelated picture. It has got a great look with gentle toning from what can be seen there. This date is one of my favorites in the series. The '99-S doesn't get the accolades it deserves. Confirmed when relatively comparing date and mint population figures. V Nickel is beautiful!

• T

• Options

@barberkeys said:
    Tim - I like those die cracks as well, good find.

Thanks Vern!

Pics for this PM, a half that recently came back home, PC53:

Wow, very pretty!

• Options

My objective has been to build a set of problem-free original Barber dimes, and as a result I almost always reflexively ignore 'details' coins. Still, there was something about this one (an NGC AU Details - Obverse Cleaned) that kept me going back to the photos to study it further. It was a pretty coin (in my opinion) with great detail, but that seems to be true of so many coins (especially tougher dates) that, on closer inspection, are sadly (but irredeemably) flawed or altered. Ultimately, I did something I said I'd never do, and pulled the trigger on a details-graded coin.

When it arrived, I took a look under magnification. I still couldn't see any harsh scratching, or even any substantial cluster of parallel lines that would be a telltale indicator of a prior cleaning. Instead, there were a few obverse scrapes that looked a lot more like circulation hits than the product of any concerted effort to alter the surface. I took it to a few trusted dealers to get their opinions. While one remained somewhat skeptical the general consensus was cautious optimism that it could straight grade, and so I decided to break it out and submit it for crossover.

Apparently our hosts agreed, and today I received word that it successfully crossed as an AU55!! I've certainly made a few missteps and bad bets on the way to assembling a set, but thankfully not this time. Sometimes it pays off to take a chance and go with a hunch.

• Options

Jeff - Perhaps at FUN next year. It's always great to meet a fellow barber die-hard.

scodal - Great call on a tough coin. I assume you mean you cracked it out of the details holder and sent it in raw.

Pics for this PM, recent acquisition for my friend Elmo, PC-PR65:

Vern
    l
  • Options

@barberkeys said:
    Jeff - Perhaps at FUN next year. It's always great to meet a fellow barber die-hard.

scodal - Great call on a tough coin. I assume you mean you cracked it out of the details holder and sent it in raw.

Pics for this PM, recent acquisition for my friend Elmo, PC-PR65:

Thanks, Vern. The coin was submitted raw although I didn't do the actual cracking. I've watched a few how-to videos but ultimately still felt more comfortable asking a trusted professional to do the honors. If I ever do make an attempt myself, I might try starting with a 1916 instead...

• Options

Pretty dime!

• Options
    edited January 19, 2019 9:14AM

Previously mentioned '99-P AU dime with reverse die cracks I just noticed has a slight RPD too... very much evident within the last 9

Here is the full obverse...

• T

• Options

Over time, learning how tough the '01-O/HorizO Barber dime really is... PC25:

Do any of you have O/Horizontal O pics to share from your collections? Do you have a quantity more than 1?

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    Over time, learning how tough the '01-O/HorizO Barber dime really is... PC25:

Do any of you have O/Horizontal O pics to share from your collections? Do you have a quantity more than 1?

I have 2, sadly both are G-04.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

Another recent newp. 1900-S Barber Quarter in PC45 off of eBay from George Nadeau.

Check out the RPD... nice date repunching:

• T

• Options

Here's my 1901 O FS 501- it's in a PC 30 holder:

It was purchased raw a few years ago.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1901-O/Horiz O is a tuff coin. I have a PCGS58 in my set. I had an extra PCGS40 that I cherrypicked on ebay. I sold that coin to Teaparty and I think they still have it. I had it on B, S and T with no interest so I sold it to Teaparty.

• Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

I miss you!

Doug

• Options

Tim - Lot's of meat on your 00-S for a 45. Nice newp.

Doug - Understandable.

Pics for this PM, PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Pics for this AM, another recent newp, PC45:

• T

• Options

Steve Hustad just contacted me back on that 1900-S RPD quarter...

"What you have there is a 190/00-S, RPD-S, hub types I/II, (type I obverse, type II reverse)."

• T

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file