Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #5

Comments

• KhaymanKhayman Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    1964-D just sold on eBay
    1976-P just sold on eBay
    A number of other clad dimes just sold on eBay

Justin (monstercoinmart) is doing a super great job selling Roosies! I don’t see anyone pulling down the $$$ on Roosies that Justin is. But, I am his father. Lol.

Wondercoin.

Having worked with Justin in the past on the sale of some of my dimes I can attest to his keen eye, very strong work ethic, congeniality, and passion for his business. A real pleasure to work with.

• onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2018 12:35PM

There are only 2 76P Dimes graded FB in all grades. Both are MS66FB. At one time I believe John owned both of them so no doubt the finest of the 2 are in his set. I think the ebay one sold cheap and I highly doubt another will be made anytime soon. I've been following these and Justin has done a fantastic job with all his listings especially Roosies.

Not sure if it was noted previously but Hansen bought the 1949 68FB 1/0, as well as the recent 1946 68FB

@Khayman said:
    Not sure if it was noted previously but Hansen bought the 1949 68FB 1/0, as well as the recent 1946 68FB

I'd like to know who he was bidding against all the way to $13K.

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

I’d put my set side by side with anyone’s and win the eye appeal test. This is a serious statement.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rainbowroosie said:
    I’d put my set side by side with anyone’s and win the eye appeal test. This is a serious statement.

Did you take the "Pepsi Challenge"?

Later, Paul.

Stooge,
    Going to Fun? Im bringing a Roosie box of 20...see for yourself. ;)

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."

@rainbowroosie said:
    Stooge,
    Going to Fun? Im bringing a Roosie box of 20...see for yourself. ;)

I am. With me there, it'll be the highlight of your trip! ;)

Later, Paul.

Stooge,
    And yours too.

• Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

Just stopped by to say hi guys!!!
    I'll be back to talk to you, but have to go now. "See Ya"

Dan
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

Justin just sold a 1982-P Dime in MS67FB on eBay for $1,500. Pop 7/1. Series appears to continue to chug along strongly. Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

@Dan50 said:
    Just stopped by to say hi guys!!!
    I'll be back to talk to you, but have to go now. "See Ya"

Hey Dan, so glad to see ur still around. Please let us know how you are doing!

Later, Paul.
    edited September 10, 2018 11:33AM

Some of you here may recognize this reverse. If not, it is the recently sold 1964-D MS68FB dime. My question here is how did it receive the FB designation when clearly the lower bands are broken and not complete. Here is the definition for those who forget...

The PCGS "Full Bands" designation for Roosevelts requires that both the upper and lower pair of bands on the torch be distinct and show full separation. The line dividing the bands must be complete and unbroken.

Later, Paul.
  • QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

with all that damage, how did it get a 68 rating?

Dan,
    Where have u been? :)

@QBert said:
    with all that damage, how did it get a 68 rating?

My only guess is that PCGS viewed the Obv as a 69 (take a look at a pic if you have a chance - very nice) and the reverse as a 67, so they averaged it a 68. I was offered the coin and passed due to the terrible looking Rev.

Paul - As for the FB I completely agree with you; no chance of a FB; maybe a newbie grader? lol

• labloverlablover Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2018 5:25PM

@Stooge said:
    Some of you here may recognize this reverse. If not, it is the recently sold 1964-D MS68FB dime. My question here is how did it receive the FB designation when clearly the lower bands are broken and not complete. Here is the definition for those who forget...

The PCGS "Full Bands" designation for Roosevelts requires that both the upper and lower pair of bands on the torch be distinct and show full separation. The line dividing the bands must be complete and unbroken.

Just a thought: In the technical sense it meets the requirements. Yes, there is a cut in the upper lower band, but the separation is not broken in the "line dividing the bands..." Not the best reverse for a MS68FB, but not seeing the Obverse who knows? Perhaps they did average it out.

Sometimes I think those "sliders" get the benefit of the doubt. Just depends on the grader? But, where is the finalizer in those cases?

Makes one wonder...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Here is the Obverse. Pictures are from MonsterCoinMart.

Later, Paul.
    edited September 10, 2018 6:44PM

Boy, that 64D reminds me of my lowly 63D below, very similar to my NGC MS67+*:

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
    edited September 12, 2018 12:26PM

For those who want to enjoy 2-3 hours of interesting reading about this 1964-D dime... go over to NGC and find the old thread on the coin. One of my rare (extensive) appearances over there as well!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

I'm not trying to come down on a nice coin that I would love to own, but the bands are questionable to me. I have had several nice dimes in my possession that had the same kind of slash through a set of bands that I tossed aside w/o sending in for grading.

Later, Paul.

I will be going to FUN in January and it will be the highlight of my trip to be sitting around the dinner table with all my Roosie buddies there. I guarantee the Roosie stories will be endless. Thursday night dinner..... and Friday night dinner. The first bottle of Caymus is on rainbowroosie.

Onlyroosies

@onlyroosies said:
    I will be going to FUN in January and it will be the highlight of my trip to be sitting around the dinner table with all my Roosie buddies there. I guarantee the Roosie stories will be endless. Thursday night dinner..... and Friday night dinner. The first bottle of Caymus is on rainbowroosie.

Onlyroosies

Are we going to Vito's?

Later, Paul.

@Stooge said:

@onlyroosies said:

Onlyroosies

Are we going to Vito's?

We usually always go to Vito's. Only once can I recall a not so good meal. Rainbowroosie gave them an ear-full. I'm bringing a 2009 bottle of Opus One to start us off.

• MACGE1MACGE1 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

@Stooge said:
    I'm not trying to come down on a nice coin that I would love to own, but the bands are questionable to me. I have had several nice dimes in my possession that had the same kind of slash through a set of bands that I tossed aside w/o sending in for grading.

Having owned the coin twice now, I think the coin deserves the FB designation. I must admit that I’ve seen nicer bands just not on a 64d - and I currently own the pop 1/0 ms68. You could say I’m a bit obsessed with the date.

Having sold that pop 1/0 1964-D Dime now at least three different times (LOL) I’m a little sad to see it go. Lol.

One might search a lifetime, and not find an obverse of that Dime date nicer than that coin. It is remarkable in my view.

Wondercoin.

Now that's what I call a spectacular set of Full Bands! Nice coin too.

Later, Paul.
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
    edited September 24, 2018 12:31PM

So my mouth fell open when I seen the latest Roosie pop top listed for sale on GG's. I'm sure a few here have already seen it.

A 1975-D PCGS MS68FB pop (1/0). This is the first 1970's Full Band Roosie dime in an 8FB holder.

I will reserve any further comments until after the auction.

Later, Paul.
    edited September 24, 2018 2:06PM

Doesn’t look FB. But it might be the photo. ;)

I do like the coin. Can't tell from the pic if FB or not. It might be a 2 on a scale from 1 - 10. it would be a great registry coin. John has the pop 1 67+FB in his set and might be worth a shot to send in for up-grade. I also noticed in coinfacts that the 68FB coin was previously graded 67FB. the pic of the 67FB shows slightly better bands.

• cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paul,

There are only 3 TV FB coins and 2 of them are the same coin - for the price difference I'll stick with my 66FB and you can say anything you want about my coin :) You wont hurt my feeling :hushed: Like the small hit on the nose

@cointime I like your dime. I don't have any problem with a nice looking dime in any grade if it's graded properly which yours seems to be, but I'm not quite sure about giving the above '75-D a grade of 8FB. I'd have to see the 7+FB or a 7FB in hand to make the call.

Later, Paul.
    edited September 26, 2018 8:08PM

After many years of collecting, I've come to the collusion, that unless you have more money than you need, chasing after the top Pops is a foolish chase. There will most always be a better coin, even in a lower grade that is better, and will be soon a pop two coin, or pop three.

Collect what you like, period!!

Just a thought, from a dog's mind...

• QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

@lablover said:
    After many years of collecting, I've come to the collusion, that unless you have more money than you need, chasing after the top Pops is a foolish chase. There will most always be a better coin, even in a lower grade that is better, and will be soon a pop two coin, or pop three.

Collect what you like, period!!

Just a thought, from a dog's mind...

yes, this appears to be true - at least for modern sets. Even the older silvers had some pop 1/2 that over ten years are now pop 10/15. As the the prices goes up, the search increases and hence the pops go up. Not to say that these coins will not be somewhat valuable later (If the series maintains popularity)

edited September 26, 2018 10:44PM

If anyone thinks this is just a modern coin phenomenon, go take a look at the past six years of pop figures on the key date 1912-S Liberty nickel. When I sold at Stacks JHF’s #1 set back then, I think we got around $32,000+ for his MS66 coin. Last (2018) sale at heritage under $3,200. One can possibly lose 80%-90% on great classic coins too obviously.

Wondercoin.

@wondercoin said:
    If anyone thinks this is just a modern coin phenomenon, go take a look at the past six years of pop figures on the key date 1912-S Liberty nickel. When I sold at Stacks JHF’s #1 set back then, I think we got around $32,000+ for his MS66 coin. Last (2018) sale at heritage under $3,200. One can possibly lose 80%-90% on great classic coins too obviously.

Wondercoin.

I believe there was a unique circumstance regarding this as a roll or 2 was discovered and they were slabbed, or a small hoard was found. I forget, but I get what ur saying...

Later, Paul.

They are all unique situations... even the modern ones.

Wondercoin

Hansen just lost one of his pop 1/0 silvers. my 54S 68FB pop 1/0 that I slabbed just turned into a pop 2/0. Anyone want to claim this victory? Does anyone know who made the coin?

@onlyroosies said:
    Hansen just lost one of his pop 1/0 silvers. my 54S 68FB pop 1/0 that I slabbed just turned into a pop 2/0. Anyone want to claim this victory? Does anyone know who made the coin?

Once upon a time way back in 1954 San Francisco, my gran-pappy was a sailor and he was on shore leave. He stumbled on in to the local saloon and had a few rounds. He drank all his money down and left with 1 single bright & shiny dime. He carried that dime with him every day stuffed into his wallet until he passed it onto me in 1986 for my high school graduation. Now I've been sitting on that dime myself for 30+ yrs and just now decided to get it graded. So yes I am the owner!

Believe me??? ;)

Later, Paul.
  • BeefCurry808BeefCurry808 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

Hi roosie community, even though I switched over to the lincoln toners as a completely focused group, I figure a nice roosie will brighten the mood.

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

@onlyroosies said:

It wasn’t me! My coin is still in its 68*FT holder where it shall remain.

Nice 53-S Beefcurry! Welcome to this long-running thread. Hope to see more dimes from you!

• AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

Tried to win some Roosies on GC tonight without any luck. Some 67FBs received strong bids.

Not too early to start FUN planning for Roosie guys. Thursday evening at my room, bring your best red wine. Jim has earmarked an Opus One, Nick is a Caymus Select, and I have something very special planned. Then we stagger across the street to the Capital Grille to eat like kings. Sound like a plan? Anyone else want to join in?

@rainbowroosie said:
    Not too early to start FUN planning for Roosie guys. Thursday evening at my room, bring your best red wine. Jim has earmarked an Opus One, Nick is a Caymus Select, and I have something very special planned. Then we stagger across the street to the Capital Grille to eat like kings. Sound like a plan? Anyone else want to join in?

2009 Opus One from me and can't wait to see my roosie friends. I might even bring a Caymus 40th Anniversary bottle. If you like Pinot Noir, how about a #1 Evening Land? Hope I can make it back to my room... :o