Home U.S. Coin Forum

Winners' PICKED Contest 1900 $5 Liberty Half Eagle + a surprise coin for a runner up.

ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 21, 2018 10:07PM in U.S. Coin Forum

B) A way of giving back to all and not just members who are yet to collect gold .....

I genuinely assume it is a genuine $5 Liberty Half Eagle ..... purchased in August 2017, back at the beginning of my hobby.

Please post yours ($5 Liberty Head Half) or in your own words the observation on this coin to be included in the contest.
*drawing end of Summer > 1st day of Fall <3

Pardon my pictures ... here taken indoor

_ with natural outdoor light_

Comments

• Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that is very generous and it looks great real or not it looks like it may have some hairline scratches but other than that it has nice details.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure. Looks ok to me. Way generous contest. Are you sure?

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is due to the popularity of the last gold coins give aways ;)

@Mdcoincollector2003 said:
    Wow that is very generous and it looks great real or not it looks like it may have some hairline scratches but other than that it has nice details.

edited September 12, 2018 5:53PM

<3<3

@Smudge said:
    Sure. Looks ok to me. Way generous contest. Are you sure?

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2018 8:02PM

OK, I was going to post my Indian Head Gold but as I reread the OP it is asking for Liberty Gold of whcih have no Liberty Head Gold Coins. :(

ooops, wrong picture.

I gotta look for it. :s

I thought I had a file photo of my $5 Gold Indian to post but it turned out to be Indian Head Cents and I haven't been to the bank so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice coin. I'm glad you shifted the lighting around. I find myself doing that while examining coins with my usb microscope. Give mango my regards. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure looks purty!

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simple elegance in a patriotic coin. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• JasonGamingJasonGaming Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin. Some minor hairline scratches on her cheek and reverse field but nothing too obvious. Extremely generous giveaway, thank you.

Always buying nice toned coins! Searching for a low grade 1873 Arrows DDO Dime and 1842-O Small Date Quarter.

calling on @Insider2 & @BillJones to render opinions PLEASE :):):)

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing concerns me a bit. When looking straight down, you should not be able to see any of the reeding on the edge... and you can some in your pics a little. I know this screams fake with the $2 1/2 coins. It might just be from the picture angle though?

• bugbitbugbit Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

The coin looks way too nice to give away, thats for sure.

I'll take more pix on the angles.

@jwitten said:
    One thing concerns me a bit. When looking straight down, you should not be able to see any of the reeding on the edge... and you can some in your pics a little. I know this screams fake with the $2 1/2 coins. It might just be from the picture angle though?

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Nice! :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2018 6:35PM

i have the counterfeit detection book...need to take a look at it.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, I don't have a Liberty Head Gold Half Eagle. I had to look it up! Minted from 1839 thru 1908. The first year had the mint mark on the obverse, then it was switched to the reverse. In God We Trust was added in 1866. This one from 1900 looks absolutely beautiful to me!!!!!! Another generous giveaway PF~

Same one on different angle and the last 4's taken outside in natural sunlite ;)

@DNADave said:
    i have the counterfeit detection book...need to take a look at it.

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2018 6:47PM

• kazkaz Posts: 9,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks genuine to me, letters and numbers flat-topped and squared off, nothing mushy, dentils ok. nice luster too.
    very generous of you to do another giveaway. :)

• jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely looks authentic to me. Thanks for the chance, really appreciate it and your generosity!

• Josh32Josh32 Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

Looks good to me. Thanks for the giveaway!

• tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Well, genuine or not, it is very pretty. I am not sure I am worthy of ownership. But, I'll do my best <3

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731

Everyone is worthy of a present. I am yet to learn US currency. Keep up the good post. :)

@tnspro said:
    Well, genuine or not, it is very pretty. I am not sure I am worthy of ownership. But, I'll do my best <3

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very generous of you. Yours looks better than the XF45 I have in my set.

Here's one of my favorite dirty old gold Charlotte pieces.....

and here's the very first and favorite Dahlonega piece I purchased back in 1975.....

both in PCGS XF45 holders.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• AstroJoeAstroJoe Posts: 308 ✭✭✭

That is a nice coin.
    I don't own any gold.

Joe

Everything is all right!
  • I think it's genuine. Heavily beat up, but genuine.

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first set of photos had me questioning the authenticity but the following photos make me think it is genuine. Definitely not my area but looks good, I would guess AU. Genuine or not... I would accept it!

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way "cool" !!! B)

Timbuk3
    edited September 12, 2018 9:10PM

<3

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredibly generous giveaway, you really do have a heart of gold. I don't have any Gold Coins to show off here. I do however have a Gold CAC I could show. It's round and gold color and fairly desirable. LOL

I see Maui is dry as a bone as far as Olivia concern ..... so your brother and his wife are fine B)

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dry as Kihei goes. Hana as usual has wash outs and flooding along the road. Napili has flooding and road closures.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears to be real, but what do I know? I have a hard time of holding on to gold coins when I do purchase them. Sorry no gold coin to post.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:

I see Maui is dry as a bone as far as Olivia concern ..... so your brother and his wife are fine B)

Thanks for the update. I spoke to him at 1:00 pm PST which was 10:00 am there and he was relaxing by the pool still. He said there was a light mist coming down and it felt pretty nice.

• rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the opportunity, i am seeing pock marks on the reverse, big one above the dot next to the F in Five, aren't marks like this diagnostics of cf coins? Thanks again

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks good to me @Paradisefound .
    I don't have a picture of any gold to post.

• RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

WOW! Your generosity never ceases to amaze me! That's a nice coin for sure. I'll happily and gratefully throw my hat in the ring on behalf of my stepson (yes, the same one :smile: ) He'd faint for sure if he wins.... LOL

I'm no expert, but, it looks AOK to me. I'm wondering if perhaps it is an ex-jewelry piece. It has nice luster in the protected areas but some chatter elsewhere. Just my guess. Anyway, THANK YOU for the chance and many blessings sent your way.

• CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭✭

Looks good to me at first glance.

You're too generous!

Zircon Cases - Protect Your Vintage Slabs www.ZirconCases.com
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

An attractive looking piece.

Thanks for the chance.

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Spartcom5Spartcom5 Posts: 396 ✭✭✭

Definitely a nice piece I'd love to own, can't tell whether or not it is genuine since I have never owned one and am uneducated on them! Seems to be in great condition regardless.

<3Kindness is a language which Deaf can Hear and the Blind can See <3

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

thx for contest

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

the coin is a nice example of an AU grade. Looks like honest wear to me. And a heck uva give-away.

IF this qualifies me, and you pick me (mango picks me), please draw a second time for another person to give it too!

Aloha and a hui hou!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is a fake, it seems to be a counterfeit meant to deceive not collectors, but rather gold owners/users/investors. Sort of a "contemporary counterfeit", presumably made of gold.

I'd be happy to own it either way.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one unbelieveable generous contest. Thank you. Wow. Beautiful coin. What a first gold coin to have and be given to someone. Thank you for the chance.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your kindness is a gift in it's self.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

mahalo!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file