Home U.S. Coin Forum

Winners' PICKED Contest 1900 $5 Liberty Half Eagle + a surprise coin for a runner up.

Comments

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

<3

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

A little scruffy, but a decent looking coin, and a generous giveaway.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    Yours is beautiful @bolivarshagnasty What is the grade if I may ask? <3

>
    The 85-S is PCGS MS64. Might need to do reconsideration one day.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks good from the photos. Fantastic giveaway.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was googling to find when a cereal gave away a free gold flake in plastic, was that "Honey Comb"? Greatest cereal give away of all time?

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at the last few photos of your $5 gold I would say it's real, but I'm no expert.

I don't have a $5 gold of my own to show, but I wanted to say that you are an amazingly generous person with much love to give. Your great attitude and positive outlook is contagious and I'm really glad for that.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know the series, but I don't see anything that screams fake. It looks like a pretty decent AU coin and a super generous give away. Thanks for the chance.

Trade $'s
  • BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice give away!

If it were not for a few hits/markers on this coin, I would not have thought the first obverse/reverse pictures were of the same coin in the second obverse/reverse pictures. Amazing how lighting changes things!

This example has been banged around a bit and the weight is right (8.36 g, 8.4 g rounded), thus appears to be legit! Though I am not a gold guy, just need a little nudge to get me started....hint, hint! B)

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice coin you have there... very generous of you for a giveaway prize! Here is a nice moderately-worn Civil War date:

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

that sure looks nice :)

• GeodGeod Posts: 127 ✭✭

I don't have any gold in my meager collection and that would be a nice one to be the first!

Thanks for the chance.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2018 6:34PM

@Paradisefound said:
    I can assure you they are a same coin altogether... pictures were taken in & outdoor :)

@blitzdude said:
    Well in the original picture it looks counterfeit, the natural light coin looks real and not even the same coin to me. If they are the same coin this is exactly the reason why I buy nothing above bullion value via pictures on ebay / internet. Hopefully its at least the correct gold content if fake. If so I would still purchase at melt value and proceed to do exactly that.

I'm not disputing that at all. Just saying the 2 pictures make it look like an entirely different coin thus the reason why it is not good to buy based off pictures. IMO anyway.

Edit: then of course when the OP gets edited and all moved around it makes 75% of the initial replies to the original thread irrelevant. lol Based off your revised thread and revised pictures I would now be fairly confident the coin is legit. Congrats. My spreadsheet says I currently have 10 $5 gold pieces but too lazy to go dig them up from the yard for pictures. None the less good on you for all your contests.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regretfully, I own no half eagles. I don't own this coin either, but I'll post a pic in your honour. Thanks!

Smitten with DBLCs.

• liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks good to me.
    Here is a bright shiny piece of gold.

liefgold
  • OKCCOKCC Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

Just a nice example of good old fashioned real gold. Looks like you started off well. Hard to go wrong there.

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

I do not and never have collected or owned gold coins, but for some reason, I like the year 1900 having all US coins of this year except for gold. Turn of the century coins just have an appealing interest for me and would enjoy owning this one, a very nice example.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin looks real and a super nice gesture, again.

TGIF..... B)

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

These gold giveaways are getting old - been there done that. I am waiting for the Palladium giveaway. :D;)

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2018 2:32PM

But I'll be happy to take the gold if I win. ;)

Tell Mango I'll give him a little extra of whatever those birds eat if he pecks - I mean picks - my name.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Away at a show. Looks OK but images are not sharp.

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! What a giveaway! Thanks for the chance. Here's mine:

edited September 14, 2018 7:46PM

Last time he pecked the heck of one member :# It will be hard to teach the old dog bird <3

@JBK said:
    But I'll be happy to take the gold if I win. ;)

Tell Mango I'll give him a little extra of whatever those birds eat if he pecks - I mean picks - my name.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

He is a really nice looking bird......but oh so naughty.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only $5 gold I own these days.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

It's always Summer in my Heart <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

*drawing Sept 21st B)

@JBK said:
    Hey....the thread says "drawing 1st day of Fall". But does Hawaii have a fall? :/

I figured it was always summer time there. ;)

Maybe this is all a hoax. After all, who in their right mind would give away free gold?

Oh, yeah, I forgot. :*:p

• This is a very nice coin and at a quick glance, I can't find anything that would indicate this not being a genuine coin. :smile:

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looked legit although I wanted to glance at this on a larger LCD.

It's wild how different your 3 types of photos make the surfaces look.

Thanks for the giveaway and should I win please send this prize to YN member kennytpez instead.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Looks quite genuine to me.

• superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

I think it’s real. Thanks for the chance

Dave

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks genuine to me. When i look at the coin I see power and freedom.

• gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing screams counterfeit. Looks like a nice type set piece.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin at the top of the thread is absolutely genuine.
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • FHCFHC Posts: 323 ✭✭✭

Here's mine. Bought it from @REALGATOR raw and submitted it at a show.

Friday 9/21 6 HST drawing

• woogloutwooglout Posts: 200 ✭✭✭

Me likey! looks legit.

And very generous contest BTW. It's always great when people are givers in this world. We are here for far too short a time.
    I try to give in my own little ways here and there. This is above and beyond I must say. Kudos to you.

• KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is a very generous giveaway @Paradisefound

it looks like old used money to me. good 'ol real money

• RWMRWM Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

My lone $5 Liberty from my type set.

• KnellKnell Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have yet to own any early Liberty Head series gold coins. I'm not an expert but in my opinion could be genuine $5 Liberty. I can't even tell if my $2.50 Indian Head is genuine but I was told it was and bought it from a reputable dealer years ago. By the way this is my very first gold coin purchased before buying the US Mint's $5 PR gold coin yearly. I love the early $5 Liberty reverse eagle design that is why I bought the 2006 SFO old mint Gold PR & UNC coins. Did the US Mint used the same design to the 2006 or at least similar? Thanks and sorry for the bad quality picture below.

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Generous for sure! Looks good to my eyes!

Is YN kennytpez a member here? :)

@Broadstruck said:
    It looked legit although I wanted to glance at this on a larger LCD.

It's wild how different your 3 types of photos make the surfaces look.

Thanks for the giveaway and should I win please send this prize to YN member kennytpez instead.

• jedmjedm Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

What I think? It looks like something I will welcome into to my humble collection when I win the drawing. "...Silver and gold won't buy back the beat of a heart grown cold." Bob Dylan.

• SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are amazing, as always, @Paradisefound

My gold, as you know :*

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

Yes my friend .... don't you just love the feel of gold coin in your hand? Ssshhh don't tell the expert we are fondly handling ours ;)
    Good luck on the contest .... the lightning may strike twice.
    Thank you for dropping by B)

@SiriusBlack said:
    You are amazing, as always, @Paradisefound
    My gold, as you know :*

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a ton of experience with these old coins, but, from what I do have, and what I see, it looks genuine to me.

As for holding them in your hand.....it is pretty awesome. I bought my first gold coin from a forum member about 10 years ago (didn't know it until after we talked, after the purchase, but he was selling in order to help pay for cancer treatments and to make it easier on his family....so they wouldn't have to deal with the raw gold coins after he passed.....said I was the 1st realistic/honest offer he had had on the BST for the coins....everyone else was trying to take advantage and offer extreme lowball amounts....so, while I thought I had offered low (due to them being raw and me not knowing the person on the boards), it made me feel better that he thought the offer was reasonable.).

I finally got them slabbed awhile back, so couldn't hold them raw from that point on, but, they were cool to hold.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's real and would most likely grade 55-58. Very nice coin for a give away.

Trade $'s
  • Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

My observations:
    I believe it is real but simply don't know enough about early gold to tell from pics.

That said, what I DO observe is a coin that had spent a part of it's life in the banking system, being bumped around in bags with others like it. It tells a story of being part of maybe MUCH bigger transactions, maybe helping to finance some amazing construction projects. Maybe, somehow, it found it's way into private hands, to be given as a gift for some milestone event. Set away for a long time and then, one day, released from it's confinement to be sold to a new collector.
    Let's see how this coins story continues...

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 'mintmark puncher' was a bit off their game on this 1907 Lib.

<3 #5 Days until drawing <3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file