Home U.S. Coin Forum

Winners' PICKED Contest 1900 $5 Liberty Half Eagle + a surprise coin for a runner up.

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that 5 regular days or 5 Hawaiian days? :| I know you have your own time zone, so maybe your calendar is different also?

Anwho, have the newbies who are back posting questionable "pennies" entered the contest? The ones that have not are confirming my theory that many who come here do not read any threads other than their own....

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks good to me, I think. Pretty sure I've got a $5 Lib somewhere around here... picture to come

Collector, occasional seller

• botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

No doubt it's genuine, with convincing circulation markings, and carefully cleaned, with hardly any negative telltale evidence, altogether an attractive piece from an interesting year date.

• TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my #999th post. And.....my one any only gold is coming up next ;)

• KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:
    This is my #999th post. And.....my one any only gold is coming up next ;)

Free Gold! Where else does this happen?
    (I did a gold giveaway on r/silverbugs a few years ago. Got 20 replies and +4 karma)

I'm in. If I win, I promise it will be bartered for some sort of debauchery.

• MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

This has to be the best Give-away I've even seen here. You are a true gentleman.

@MrLee said:
    This has to be the best Give-away I've even seen here. You are a true gentleman.

:o:D:*

• I have none in my personal collection, but I will say what a beautiful coin and piece of history. Old gold is always fun to see. Thanks for the chance!

Great Deals Buying and Selling: Metalsman, BobSav, Rick300, endzone, Swampboy, somecoins, Musca, commoncents05, Refrema, tonyhar, joebb21, kalshacon, JeremyDie1, percyb, scrapman1077, indiananationals, wondercoin, pragmaticgoat, tonedSilver, theboz11, Timbuk3, bigmarty58, HCumberdale, jp84, OnlyGoldIsMoney, UNLVino, coinguy1989, drewsef, coindeuce, pjcoins, giorgio11, Sullykerry52, KollectorKing, privatecoin, jclovescoins, Smittys, bronco2078, ajaan, jdmern, bidask, jrt103, CoinPhysicist, bigjpst, OKCC, Skanderbeg, pruebas, dizzlecc, MasonG, spummybum, SurfinxHI, snowequities

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have any $5 Liberty gold, but your coin is very nice and looks legit! Here is some change that I do have!

One OGH and One Fatty, both CAC

• Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the chance and doing the give away.

In my own words: solid strike, nice cart wheel luster still present, a decent amount of tick marks, but nice coin overall!

• toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very generous offer. Thank you. As one of the “as yet to collect gold” group, I could definitely find a place for this. Probably the first action upon receipt would be to send it to our hosts for continued preservation and protection. <3

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was talking with SeattleSlammer and he said that, if he wins it, to just send it to me and we'll take care of it ;)
    heh heh heh

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭

Wow very generous, thank you.

If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • slider23slider23 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the only $5 Liberty that I have. Thanks for the contest.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2018 8:02PM

4 Hawaiian Days left 'till drawing

@JBK said:

Is that 5 regular days or 5 Hawaiian days? :| I know you have your own time zone, so maybe your calendar is different

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gosh, I have to lean towards contemporary counterfeit. The look isn't right, to me anyways.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • hatchethatchet Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

It looks wonderful, outshone only by your great generosity.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks good to me but I don't have any $5 Liberty Gold to compare it to. :/

GrandAm :)
  • MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭✭

I think it's genuine. A bit baggy but not a lot of wear. If only the rest of us could age as well as gold. Thanks for the generous opportunity.

image Respectfully, Mark
  • baddspellarbaddspellar Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

Alas, I have none to post. I like the design of this coin in general, and the luster on your example.

Dear Mr. Lee
    I am a girl ...... the last time I looked at the mirror; NO DOUBT 100% ;)

@JBK said:

@MrLee said:

:o:D:*

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know summer is almost over. Pf is ushering in the season with grace and pizzazz. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• bugbitbugbit Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Is that 5 regular days or 5 Hawaiian days? :| I know you have your own time zone, so maybe your calendar is different also?

Anwho, have the newbies who are back posting questionable "pennies" entered the contest? The ones that have not are confirming my theory that many who come here do not read any threads other than their own....

-I'm a newbie
    -I've commented above
    -l've posted a question about a questionable LARGE cent
    -I'm on here trying to learn every day not just about the coin I personally posted
    -Thanks for asking

• PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

My entry :)

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 905 ✭✭✭✭

Looks real to me. Why would counterfeit have handling marks. I see mint bloom and nearly if not MS 60.

Welcome to the big coin family @bugbit :) Have fun as you learn and don't hesitate to ask & post questions B)

@bugbit said:
    -I'm a newbie
    -I've commented above
    -I'm on here trying to learn every day not just about the coin I personally posted
    -Thanks for asking

• CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the chance.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • AstroJoeAstroJoe Posts: 308 ✭✭✭

I'm not an expert on gold coins, and I don't own any gold.
    What I see are marks most due to the softness of gold?
    No scratches, doesn't appeared to be cleaned.
    Still it is an appealing coin, better than pic would indicate.

Joe

Everything is all right!
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do the 2 gold crowns I have in my head count as an entry? :D Thanks for the chance.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    B) A way of giving back to all and not just members who are yet to collect gold .....

I genuinely assume it is a genuine $5 Liberty Half Eagle ..... purchased in August 2017, back at the beginning of my hobby.

Please post yours ($5 Liberty Head) or in your own words the observation on this coin to be included in the contest.
    *drawing end of Summer > 1st day of Fall <3

Pardon my pictures ... here taken indoor

_ with natural outdoor light_

Nice circulated piece! Nothing to post but nuggets. Great giveaway you're having, couldn't pass it up, thanks.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

....days to go <3

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

has a nice au58 look to it! thank you

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.

@bugbit said:

@JBK said:

-I'm a newbie
    -I've commented above
    -Thanks for asking

That is all extremely good news. It sets you apart from many of the new members. And you might just be rewarded with free gold! :p

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Best I can do:

Thanks for the contest.

:)

Frank

BHNC #203

• ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

Wow, what a nice looking coin to give away Paradisefound, you are very nice and generous person and an asset here on the forum!

I personally don't own any old gold half eagles but sure would be very appreciative to win such a nice looking one as the one you are giving away and to receive it from a very nice person like yourself, it would never leave my collection.

• KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks legit to me as well, really generous giveaway. Thanks for the chance!

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover

I need to set up a bunch of alt IDs to increase my odds in these giveaways..

So, if you see JBK1, JBK2, JBK3, etc. they are NOT related to me. ;)

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice... Thank you.

• Wow what a a great contest!

I hope I look as good at 118 years old!

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2018 2:58PM

Wow. Very cool. I have but one. It fills (one of the ) "D" positions in my quest for at least one coin from every mint:

• CaptMorgansCaptMorgans Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

Gorgeous giveaway. Good Luck to All!

• John2000John2000 Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

Very nice original looking piece. Very generous giveaway. Good luck too all.
    John.

I may not know what I'm doing most of the time, but I'm Damn good at it. 😇 😈

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't believe it's a real US Mint made coin. But, still gold and pretty!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

@AUandAG said:

Hi, what makes you think it's not a genuine US coin?

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Genuine, AU with honest wear/circulation marks and a lot of character - neat coin.

Thank you for the generous contest.

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool giveaway! Here's a cool $5 Liberty that I had awhile back, loved the CC mint mark and how circulated it was... it was a coin that did some spending back in its day!

:+1:

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:

2 days to go

I just had to give that a 'like'.

:)

Frank

BHNC #203

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

@John2000 said:

@AUandAG said:

The hair curls on the neck are disconnected. The reverse banner edges seem really weak.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

@AUandAG said:

@John2000 said:

@AUandAG said:

The hair curls on the neck are disconnected. The reverse banner edges seem really weak.

Could those things be attributed to worn dies, light strike, or something?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file