Home U.S. Coin Forum

Winners' PICKED Contest 1900 $5 Liberty Half Eagle + a surprise coin for a runner up.

Comments

• markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the obverse is a bit more dinged up than the revers, the coin still looks really cool

• coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭

HI and thanks for the contest! It looks Ok from the pics. At first i thought the relief was too shallow on the obverse, and was therefore leaning not genuine. But scrolling further, the rest of the angles make it appear to be "all there"! ill vote REAL.
    Look forward to winning it and examining it in person, haha

BT&C
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

An extremely generous give-away Paradise, thank you !

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks good to me. You are something else girl and I mean that in a very good way. :)

• ProfLizProfLiz Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭

What a generous gesture of community spirit!

I don't know enough about gold authentication to speak to your coin, but here is mine of the same date, authenticated by our hosts:

• JeffnluJeffnlu Posts: 284 ✭✭✭✭

It is hard to imagine that at one time that beautiful gold coin was just some yellow rocks underground.
    Thanks for the offer.

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2018 5:54AM

Your picture run illustrates just how different a coin can look in different lighting and angles.

Its thrilling to imagine a time when your coin circulated.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am thankful for a chance at the contest. My observations: very beautiful coin. I do not have a gold coin but, for some reason, did not enter your last contest. If I had my choice, I prefer raw over slabbed-but understand the risk that can come with that. Thanks!!

• TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

Yes I would! It is a nice looking gold coin. In the first few pictures it looks like it has some nice luster.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paradise I am very pleased to be in the same group of collectors as yourself. Thank you for all you do.

• dmwestdmwest Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭

I had a 1850-C 1/2 Eagle I now wished I had never sold, but sometimes the price is just right. Yours, looks very nice, way nicer than my AU50.

Don't quote me on that.

• calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are most generous !! here is a 1 dollar liberty California fractional for your viewing pleasure !!! I like the $5 also !

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• aus3000tinaus3000tin Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

The coin appears circulated and genuine.

The coin owner appears truly genuine.

Thank you.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez, how could I not post in this thread! A gal with a GG heart (golden and generous)!

If I win, I might have to pick up in person to give you a hug ;)

P.S. Looks legit to me.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks ok to me going on the photos.

Count me in! :smiley:

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to take a picture of my $5 Liberty....but....it turns out my $5 Liberty is a $5 Indian. I don't have a $5 Liberty. I don't know enough to tell a fake from a genuine by a photo so I have to trust it is real. It would go nicely in my collection. B)

You once again have demonstrated your generous nature and giving heart. You overwhelm us all.

• MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Coin! VERY generous giveaway! Thanks for the chance!

I can't find a picture of my $5 Liberty, but here is a picture of a cool medal!

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beautiful gold coin.... Yes, it has seen some commerce, and that adds character. Cheers, RickO

• coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2018 9:40AM

Here are 2 examples of the contrast between 2 of my coins when the lighting is changed (albeit different mints and years)
    The butter yellow color is more desirable but some details are lacking compared to the other.
    Thanks for the contest! Have a great day :smile:

all around collector of many fine things

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately i sold my gold to buy my home. That coin looks good though.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks real to me; a lot of counterfeit $20 Libs. came out of the Mid-east in the 70s from what I heard; I bought one by mistake around 20 years ago, showed it to a dealer or two and instantly they rendered an opinion that they were fake, "didn't look right" one said. Dates were common like 1903. This one looks OK. I went through some time when I gave a lot away including a tube of 1/2 oz. eagles to charities which are always in need. Maybe the free coin could go to a YN or someone else that could really use it.

• TestoonTestoon Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

I’m not an expert on gold but I don’t see any obvious signs of it being fake. Thanks for the opportunity!

Bill
    witty quote goes here
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2018 5:31PM

Well in the original picture it looks counterfeit, the natural light coin looks real and not even the same coin to me. If they are the same coin this is exactly the reason why I buy nothing above bullion value via pictures on ebay / internet. Hopefully its at least the correct gold content if fake. If so I would still purchase at melt value and proceed to do exactly that.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you weighed it? I don't know the series, but if it weights 8.36-ish grams, my instant expert friends PhotoGrade and eBay pics say it's genuine.

Alas, my only gold is modern, but I'll post the pic anyway.

You are a kind soul.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭✭

Some marks and scratches but enough luster to be pretty! Thanks for your generosity!

CCAC Representative of the General Public
    Columnist for The Numismatist
    2021 Young Numismatist of the Year

edited September 13, 2018 8:03PM

I can assure you they are a same coin altogether... pictures were taken in & outdoor :)

@blitzdude said:
    Well in the original picture it looks counterfeit, the natural light coin looks real and not even the same coin to me. If they are the same coin this is exactly the reason why I buy nothing above bullion value via pictures on ebay / internet. Hopefully its at least the correct gold content if fake. If so I would still purchase at melt value and proceed to do exactly that.

• csdotcsdot Posts: 693 ✭✭✭✭

Here is my gold album, with a $5 Lib. My $2.5s are NGC, so can't include them in the registry.

https://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/mysetregistry/album/146735

<3

@JeffersonFrog said:
    Have you weighed it? I don't know the series, but if it weights 8.36-ish grams, my instant expert friends PhotoGrade and eBay pics say it's genuine.

• JcldJcld Posts: 449 ✭✭✭

Here is mine. 1869-S that I found in a coffee can of nickels in the hoard I inherited. It was the first coin I ever had slabbed.

edited September 13, 2018 10:13PM

@Jcld I can just imagine how pleasantly surprised you were upon finding the :) Beautiful! Liberty
    Thank you for dropping by <3

• Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very generous giveaway. Good looking coin.
    Why would you want to give away your first coin, that started your collecting?
    Thanks for the chance.
    Only 2 golds in my set so far. Heres one

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

edited October 3, 2018 10:52AM

<3It's because it is part of where & who I am here today as a collector; Thanks to the CU and all the members who have guided me thru my learning curve and answered the silliest questions ;)

@Sandman70gt said:
    Why would you want to give away your first coin, that started your collecting?

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks good to me.

And it'd look great in my collection -- especially since the closest thing I have to a $5 gold coin is my 1883 "Racketeer" nickel.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks good to me, I'm thinking AU50

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with others on the observation of the coin and your generosity. Especially like the 1900 date as a turn of the century coin.

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks yummy! Great giveaway.

Many happy BST transactions
  • zippcityzippcity Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭

Love it . It's old, It's gold , what's not to like. 118 years old and still looks marvelous. Your generosity is overwhelming.

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very generous giveaway. Mahalo!

• AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

Great coin & great contest.
    Thanks

• Yacorie1Yacorie1 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

Its a nice looking coin. The only pre-33 gold that I own are some Indians I purchased recently for my kids. You're very generous to offer up a coin like that in a giveaway.

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Count me in too. I’ll reserve judgement until I can view it in person 🙂. Thank you for your generous giveaway

• habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

You the Man Thanks for the opportunity.... had some Double Eagles but sold them in 2007 to get into
    Bust Halves......GOOD LUCK ALL....

Forgot comment Like the look of her but she is a bit clean looking for the marks she wears..

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey....the thread says "drawing 1st day of Fall". But does Hawaii have a fall? :/

I figured it was always summer time there. ;)

Maybe this is all a hoax. After all, who in their right mind would give away free gold?

Oh, yeah, I forgot. :*:p

Yours is beautiful @bolivarshagnasty What is the grade if I may ask? <3

• PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very generous!

Here is mine, my current avatar coin:

I think you are right about being clean so it might be better to keep her as is for example study piece B)
    BTW I am the girl ;)

@habaraca said:
    Forgot comment Like the look of her but she is a bit clean looking for the marks she wears..

My BAD so sorry you are the WOMEN.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file