Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

American Eagle 2018 One Ounce Palladium Proof Coin (18EK) (Sold out...)

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

“The “PM me for price” is annoying.”

Why is it annoying Miles? It takes about 10 seconds to send a PM?

I am just as strong a buyer as anyone. Anyone who sends me a PM sees that in a NY minute.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

It takes less time, Mitch, to just post the pricing.
    Let the chips fall where they may.
    It feels like a “make me an offer” scenario. Which I avoid.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Miles. I have been buying coins here for 17 years now. Closing in on “8 figures” of purchases. I’ve done it both ways. There is a reason I did not post a price this time. And, either way is really fine. All that matters is that my trading partners gets paid in full in a timely matter. That I make certain. Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

How can they not know the price of these..

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only want 1 ONE !!!!!! I better be ABLE to buy it or I am going to be MAD!!!!!! :#:#:#:#

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the sellout will be more like 30-60 minutes - $1400 or so is a big enchilada for some people, so it will temper the pace a bit.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

it's official - $1,387.50

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just called in a favor for 500 out the back door. " I'll wait for delivery each day until 3:00"

Bullsitter,

Spin that wheel and let me know when I can expect delivery.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HATTRICK said:
    Just called in a favor for 500 out the back door. " I'll wait for delivery each day until 3:00"

Bullsitter,

Spin that wheel and let me know when I can expect delivery.

Hat, that was one huge clustermuck... B)

• Options

I agree with the person who said 2 minutes. If it lasts 4 minutes it would surprise me. The premium being offered is already exceptionally high. People are calling friends and family to order for them. Plus the guys who have multiple accounts have people helping them put orders in. The telemarketers are all over this issue so price isn't a significant issue. They love coins in this price range.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2018 10:25PM

:#

@CoinPhysicist said:
    I see @jwitten. I did however think it was interesting that someone was trying to entice people to get the coin from the mint and quickly sell it for $50 more so that they could presumably turn it around and make even more profit on it.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nurmaler said:
    it's official - $1,387.50

Yep.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Provident just emailed their offer.

I'm thinking of revising my sell out estimate to 15 minutes.

• Options

Personally I think 1300 is a bit much for raw.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2018 2:55PM

Chumming the waters:

I just received an email from Provident Metals. They're offering $100 + reimburse for expedited shipping + free shipping to Provident.

Edit: hey Kudbegud, your post must've been just seconds ahead of mine. Hopefully I'm quicker tomorrow. ;)

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

One sold ebay listing was only $999.99 -- with "best offer accepted".

the catch? Shipping was $799.99.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

that seller had no feedback either

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    that seller had no feedback either

Ebay also has rules against excessive shipping charges. I do believe that would qualify. Almost a trickster method.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah, they are trying to get out of final value fees with the high shipping

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

My concerns: Are there 15,000 Palladium coin collectors? My guess is: NO. Question # 2, Are there 15,000 speculators hoping for a "quick kill?" (and that includes the "big boys)... YES. Get in & Out faster. It might take up to one day for as sell out. BTW last years unc. completed sales on eBay for not graded ones are in the $1,300 - $1,500 range.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:

Ebay charges fees on shipping also.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am so thankful of the diversity of opinions and experiences here on the forum! It’s easy to get caught up in the hysteria and forget we have been through this many times before.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Are there 15,000 Palladium coin collectors? My guess is: NO."

This is the point.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    My concerns: Are there 15,000 Palladium coin collectors? My guess is: NO. Question # 2, Are there 15,000 speculators hoping for a "quick kill?" (and that includes the "big boys)... YES. Get in & Out faster. It might take up to one day for as sell out. BTW last years unc. completed sales on eBay for not graded ones are in the $1,300 - $1,500 range.

Completely agree. I'm secretly cheering for a total flame-out. Probably take a few weeks, however.

• Options

@coinpalice said:

No, they are just trying to get people to click on it when they don't notice the shipping. Happened to one of our own earlier in the week on that very coin. FVF are on shipping fees + sale price. There's no escaping the FVF.

For the record, people like this are the reason eBay started charging FVF on the shipping fees. I kind of wish they'd change it so that if you use eBay labels, the shipping charge (no handling) is FVF free. I'm forced to charge OVER the actual shipping fee just to pay the FVF on the shipping fee which leads my inexperienced customers to think I'm profiting on the shipping.

• Options

@dpoole said:

This is the point.

I'm actually planning on collecting the Palladium coins starting in about 5 years when they are selling for $50 above bullion value.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

This will be very simple for me. If I can get one from the Mint, I will take a look, and if it is OK, it will go straight to PCGS, get graded with True View picture, and into my proof set. No flipping here,

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@dpoole said:

This is the point.

I'm actually planning on collecting the Palladium coins starting in about 5 years when they are selling for $50 above bullion value.

Right now, Apmex has the 1oz Palladium Maple Leaf (random year): "As low as $34.99 over spot!"

• Options

@COCollector said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@dpoole said:

This is the point.

Right now, Apmex has the 1oz Palladium Maple Leaf (random year): "As low as $34.99 over spot!"

Yup. And look at the price of U.S. Platinum & Gold Eagles - including the proofs.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unlike most Mint offerings recently, this one appears to have some flippability at least in the short term. I'm in for 1.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2018 6:49PM

@dpoole said:

This is the point.

Agreed. And here's a sobering possibility: The number of collectors might be in the hundreds, not thousands.

For example, take a look at the 2010 £5 Palladium Britannia Tristan Da Cunha:

-- Proof, High Relief and DCAM.
    -- Mintage only 399.
    -- Apmex price right now: $1181.20

• Options

I just looked at their 2017 MS70 palladium FS. Currently asking $2,381.50 check/wire.

If you look below the text, their buy price is …………………$1,576.50.

Quite the spread, and it does give one an idea of the $$$ madness that the Proof version will cause.

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    This will be very simple for me. If I can get one from the Mint, I will take a look, and if it is OK, it will go straight to PCGS, get graded with True View picture, and into my proof set. No flipping here,

Me too :) They auto renewed mine with 8 free submissions and this will be one of them .... hopefully :)

• Options

@OPA said:
    My concerns: Are there 15,000 Palladium coin collectors? My guess is: NO.

Yeah, that's my problem too. There aren't 10K platinum collectors, I'm assuming the same for palladium.

I wasn't interested in the bullion last year, but the coin could look pretty good in proof, which qualifies it for my collection.

What doesn't qualify it, is the buy-in price. It's stupid high. What would a PF69 (which is good enough for me, since I can't tell the difference between a 69 and a 70 :) ) cost in a few of years if palladium falls to $500/oz and we find out there's only 9,000 hardcore palladium collectors?

Then, there was this goodie in the law:

(5) QUALITY.—The Secretary may issue the coins described in paragraph (1) in both proof and uncirculated versions, except that, should the Secretary determine that it is appropriate to issue proof or uncirculated versions of such coin, the Secretary shall, to the greatest extent possible, ensure that the surface treatment of each year’s proof or uncirculated version differs in some material way from that of the preceding year.

Should they make this a series of coins in different finishes, it might be more interesting...

Still on the fence...

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COCollector said:
    One sold ebay listing was only $999.99 -- with "best offer accepted".

the catch? Shipping was $799.99.

And that's why we're all stuck paying a FVF on shipping (for those who don't ship free).

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

;) with last day of 10% eBay Bucks .... the choice is 1928 Saint MS65 with spot being as low as it is :o

• Options
    edited September 5, 2018 9:13PM

Don't count on real low palladium price in the next several years. Russia is by far the main world source of Palladium now.

The South African platinum mines are near shut down due to it's pathetic low price, strikes forcing high wages, the Rand currency has plummeted, and new Gov't. "help". They produced a percentage of palladium as a by-product of the platinum mining. Small amounts of palladium are mined in Montana and Canada.

My point is Russia could just make a strategic stockpile and refuse to sell it to the catalytic convertor manufactures in Europe, or sell it all to China if they are fed up with the US and NATO, and the price could go through the roof, (until most cars are electric).

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2018 9:30PM

@Goldminers said:
    Don't count on real low palladium price in the next several years. Russia is by far the main world source of Palladium now.

The South African platinum mines are near shut down due to it's pathetic low price, strikes forcing high wages, the Rand currency has plummeted, and new Gov't. "help". They produced a percentage of palladium as a by-product of the platinum mining. Small amounts of palladium are mined in Montana and Canada.

My point is Russia could just make a strategic stockpile and refuse to sell it to the catalytic convertor manufactures in Europe, or sell it all to China if they are fed up with the US and NATO, and the price could go through the roof, (until most cars are electric).

Very interesting post!!

It will be interesting to see (or for my kids to see) how much these metals tank once catalytic converters are no longer needed.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

Be back right on this spot bright and early Hawaii time tomorrow and report in B)
    Hope this is not a hype but if it is ..... heck why not; I love the giant mercury <3

• Options

@CoinCrazyPA said:

@COCollector said:

@dpoole said:

This is the point.

Agreed. And here's a sobering possibility: The number of collectors might be in the hundreds, not thousands.

For example, take a look at the 2010 £5 Palladium Britannia Tristan Da Cunha:

-- Proof, High Relief and DCAM.
    -- Mintage only 399.
    -- Apmex price right now: $1181.20

Key difference its not an American coin.

AMERICAN Eagles are American coins and look at the essentially bullion prices for Platinum eagles, even in proof despite mintages of less than 10,000

platinumeagleguide.com/mintages/

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dpoole said:

But how many are buying multiples to resell at a huge premium?

I have one from last year, and I'm definitely getting one this year. Now next year, probably not so much. These are mucho pricey and even though I love the reverse, I may be content with just the first two. What happens when the mint decides to mint an EU or RP ?????? Those special finishes probably won't happen until 2027, you know...the 10'th anniversary special.

• Options

@Onastone said:

@dpoole said:

But how many are buying multiples to resell at a huge premium?

I hold long term, so I'm looking beyond the immediate flip. Once demand dries up and the palladium collectors have theirs, then what?

I have one from last year, and I'm definitely getting one this year. Now next year, probably not so much. These are mucho pricey and even though I love the reverse, I may be content with just the first two. What happens when the mint decides to mint an EU or RP ?????? Those special finishes probably won't happen until 2027, you know...the 10'th anniversary special.

Not necessarily. Look at this post (it's one of mine) and the highlighted part of the law...

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12084190/#Comment_12084190

I am leaning toward sitting this one out. My gut says not to buy. Good thing this didn't happen around the brass mac token times, otherwise my gut would definitely be giving wrong impressions.... :wink:

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

Should they make this a series of coins in different finishes, it might be more interesting...

Oh I missed this. You're right, this might get interesting!!!

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2018 7:41AM

I'm collecting Mercury Dimes and Walking Liberty Halves at the moment, so I'm trying really hard to talk myself out of trying to get one of these today! Lol!

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in for 50

Don't quote me on that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file