Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    Mfriday4962Mfriday4962 Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

Very nice Chief! The coloring looks fantastic!

• Options
    Will1960Will1960 Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

Great Pics.
    I have the 2015 and a couple of each of the remaining years.
    I think they are my favorite 'coin' to look at and show visitors.
    Especially when I explain to them the process behind design, computer aided die making, etc.
    Even non-coin folks are impressed!

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just picked up the 2nd piece of my favorite release. The 2 oz holgrams. I need the 4 ozer now.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the look of that antiqued silver!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

@drfish Some of those look familiar! Nice job!

• Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭

MattTR nope Mfriday is hanging on tight to your Merlins! Would have loved to have added yours to my group

• Options
    MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

Oh, it was the copper bi-metal you got then!

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Merlin's DrFish
    Are these 2 the Copper and Brass Plated versions, awesome pieces !!

• Options
    edited August 15, 2018 9:15PM

Yes satin copper and brass with rohdium and gold plating, in the picture with 4 medals the next row is satin silver plated and satin silver color toned. I was lucky to track these down from a KOTCT member that had duplicates.

This pic shows the hologram effect much better

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2018 8:46AM

OK anybody have an extra I am game! ;) Dang them Copper and Brass infused ones are cool. After Chief of course since I am sure he needs them 2 in his collection!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2018 10:02AM

I thought my Satin Silver Merlin was nice...those inlay ones are REALLY nice!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

Mintage very low on these

• Options
    edited August 16, 2018 11:27AM

@Gluggo said:
    OK anybody have an extra I am game! ;) Dang them Copper and Brass infused ones are cool. After Chief of course since I am sure he needs them 2 in his collection!

Go for 'em Gluggo. I was just collecting the silver ones, thanks for the thought though. I do like those, they are pretty cool. I wish I had been a member in 2016. There were 29 different Merlin's offered and only 27 different ones minted. I wonder if somebody has all 27?

• Options

The KOTCT member I got these from told me that he has all 27. If I can get photos I will post them here

• Options
    1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2018 2:33PM

Oh its so heart warming ! I ask someone a question and I get nothing yes are no ! Oh I cant talk to YOU

• Options

@dcarr said:
    I think an explanation is in order.

The summer ANA show comes to Denver only once every 10 years or so. Because I am somewhat local to that location, and because I was scheduled to close shortly after the show on a place for my daughter to live in while she goes to college, I decided to get a table at the show and bring as many things as I could. I did not have a preference for any particular customers. But, of course, people that attended the show had the best chance to pick up some of the more unusual items.

The non-gold special items (some as pictured in this thread) were generally offered for about $200 to $500 each. So they were not cheap. Some people passed on them and others bought.

The octagonal planchet strips were going to be melted, but I had a couple offers to buy them from people that were visiting my workshop. One of those people, for example, was responsible for getting one of my over-strike "1964-D" Peace Dollars on the Pawn Stars TV show. So I felt that warranted a special favor in return.

Several years ago, when I had a few double-over-strike "1970" and "1975" Ike dollars I decided to part with a couple of them. Rather than selling them in private, I offered them in eBay auctions ($1 start bid, no reserve). That gave everyone an equal change to get one. But I did receive some complaints from some other customers who didn't like that I was selling on eBay. I think they felt that buying from me and reselling on eBay was their domain.

It seems like no matter what I do sometimes, there is somebody who is not happy.

I certainly have no problem with people reselling my items on eBay. I don't even file complaints when someone uses my own product images and/or product descriptions in their eBay listings (so long as the thing they are offering actually is one of my products).

But selling special items privately seems to cause more problems than selling publicly. I haven't sold anything on eBay in years. But next time I have a special coins that aren't a normal product, I think I will list them as eBay auctions.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/rm/lplqdj4vpw38.jpg guess I missed some how my chance to buiy this ?

• Options
    edited August 19, 2018 8:25PM

Daniel Carr Rocks!

• Options
    Mfriday4962Mfriday4962 Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2018 8:26PM

I will second that Gluggo!

• Options

I tried a GIF but it did not work sorry

• Options

Thank you Robec I did manage to make one not as nice as yours but did not know how to upload. Eventually I will figure it out. Thank you for sharing.

• Options
    nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018 9:13PM

What kind of money do the satin Merlin’s with the mintage Of 35 bring? You don’t see them come up very often.

• Options

@nk1nk said:
    What kind of money do the satin Merlin’s with the mintage Of 35 bring? You don’t see them come up very often.

Depends on the look, I'd say $150-$200+

• Options

Zoins is your 1934 st gold a > @GRANDAM said:

Any more 1934 Gold Double Eagles to add to the total? Or are we all in at 21 pcs?

Total pcs purchased by PCGS Forum Members of Dan Carr's 1934 Gold Saint Gaudens Overstrike.

GrandAm - 1 pc
    1940coupe - 1pc
    Felinfoel - 1 pc
    Paradisefound - 1 pc
    LindyS - 1 pc
    jwitten-1 PC
    Mfriday4962 - 2 pcs
    Lakesammman - 2 pcs
    Justacommeman - 1 pc
    coinsarefun - 1
    66Tbird - 1
    Bullsitter - 1
    MsMorrisine - 1 pc
    JazzmanJAB - 1 pc
    Jim G. - 1 pc
    renman95 - 1 pc
    drfish - 1
    Greg G - 1 pc
    jmski52 - 1 pc

We are up to 21 pcs,,,,,,,,, we are getting close to half the entire mintage!!!!!

you can add Zoins to this list ! Zoins is yours off center like jwitten are is it perfect

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2018 5:13AM

OK, I just received notice of 1 more purchase by a Forum Member. I will add it.

Total pcs purchased by PCGS Forum Members of Dan Carr's 1934 Gold Saint Gaudens Overstrike.

GrandAm - 1 pc - ICG MS70
    1940coupe - 1pc
    Felinfoel - 1 pc
    Paradisefound - 1 pc
    LindyS - 1 pc
    jwitten-1 PC
    Mfriday4962 - 2 pcs
    Lakesammman - 2 pcs
    Justacommeman - 1 pc
    coinsarefun - 1
    66Tbird - 1
    Bullsitter - 1
    MsMorrisine - 1 pc
    JazzmanJAB - 1 pc
    Jim G. - 1 pc
    renman95 - 1 pc - ANACS MS69
    drfish - 1
    Greg G - 1 pc
    jmski52 - 1 pc

We are up to 21 pcs,,,,,,,,, we are getting close to half the entire mintage!!!!!

Thanks for the update 1940coupe

Anyone know of any more to add?

Now how many have had your Gold Double Eagle graded and what did it grade, and who graded it?

I will post your grade if you provide it to me.

Updated due to an error,,,,,,,, back to 21 pcs.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2018 10:11PM

I actually don't have a 1934 gold. I do have some 1907 and 1933 pieces, but not gold ones. There must have been a misunderstanding.

I was waiting for a winged liberty gold TWENTY DOLLAR overstrike like "ASG_MCMVI_os1". Two were struck but none have been offered.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM
    Thank you for your time tallying :) Back to 21 but it is a good stat B)

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    OK, I just received notice of 1 more purchase by a Forum Member. I will add it.

GrandAm - 1 pc
    1940coupe - 1pc
    Felinfoel - 1 pc
    Paradisefound - 1 pc
    LindyS - 1 pc
    jwitten-1 PC
    Mfriday4962 - 2 pcs
    Lakesammman - 2 pcs
    Justacommeman - 1 pc
    coinsarefun - 1
    66Tbird - 1
    Bullsitter - 1
    MsMorrisine - 1 pc
    JazzmanJAB - 1 pc
    Jim G. - 1 pc
    renman95 - 1 pc
    drfish - 1
    Greg G - 1 pc
    jmski52 - 1 pc

Thanks for the update 1940coupe

Anyone know of any more to add?

Now how many have had your Gold Double Eagle graded and what did it grade, and who graded it?

I will post your grade if you provide it to me.

Updated due to an error,,,,,,,, back to 21 pcs.

MS69, ANACS. Pic is somewhere in this thread.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

PocketArt, thanks for posting!

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, I gotta get at least one of those Merlin pieces but it seems I’m always asleep at the switch.
    Darn it :|

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Another color

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

@nk1nk said:

Given the extremely low mintage and the extremely high demand of the 2016 pieces, I think it'll cost quite a bit more than that if you're referring to a silver piece. The last copper 2016 piece that I sold went for a bit over $200.

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2018 6:44AM

My favorite Carr posession!

(so much for ANACS conservation)

Thanks Chief! (from long ago)

(l8-)>>

• Options

Very nice 70 grade on the 1906 Gold Piece!

• Options

@illini420 said:

@Bullsitter said:

@nk1nk said:

Given the extremely low mintage and the extremely high demand of the 2016 pieces, I think it'll cost quite a bit more than that if you're referring to a silver piece. The last copper 2016 piece that I sold went for a bit over $200.

I could see that, good news for the owners... :#

• Options

@edgar said:
    My favorite Carr posession!

(so much for ANACS conservation)

Thanks Chief! (from long ago)

Great grades on both pieces Edgar. I still think of this coin, it's the one Dan uses on his site. I'm happy it's in good hands. That 1906 MS70 is gorgeous, I'm still kicking my own butt for not buying one..... :'(

• Options

Anyone have any info on when some new issues will be coming?

• Options
    VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the Knights of the coin Table (KOTCT) website on Daniel's the "Year of the Dog Design:

"Here is what my 2018 "Year of the Dog" coin will look like:"

Dan Fan
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    @GRANDAM
    Dan told me a couple weeks ago; these are on his planning for 2018:

2018 Clark Gruber 1/4 - troy oz "Half Eagle" gold
    2018 Clark Gruber 1-troy oz silver round (39mm) proof-like Winged Saint Gaudens design
    2018 Year of the Dog (39mm) silver round

Lesher dollars too?

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

I would not want to mess with that dog,,,,,,, he looks mean.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL

@GRANDAM said:
    I would not want to mess with that dog,,,,,,, he looks mean.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2018 9:07PM

@Mfriday4962 said:
    Another great piece by Daniel...
    BIG 73MM
    2006 Tantalum Medal
    Population of 2

WOW !!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji