Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2018 4:18AM

@1940coupe said:

@dcarr said:
    I think an explanation is in order.

The summer ANA show comes to Denver only once every 10 years or so. Because I am somewhat local to that location, and because I was scheduled to close shortly after the show on a place for my daughter to live in while she goes to college, I decided to get a table at the show and bring as many things as I could. I did not have a preference for any particular customers. But, of course, people that attended the show had the best chance to pick up some of the more unusual items.

The non-gold special items (some as pictured in this thread) were generally offered for about $200 to $500 each. So they were not cheap. Some people passed on them and others bought.

The octagonal planchet strips were going to be melted, but I had a couple offers to buy them from people that were visiting my workshop. One of those people, for example, was responsible for getting one of my over-strike "1964-D" Peace Dollars on the Pawn Stars TV show. So I felt that warranted a special favor in return.

Several years ago, when I had a few double-over-strike "1970" and "1975" Ike dollars I decided to part with a couple of them. Rather than selling them in private, I offered them in eBay auctions ($1 start bid, no reserve). That gave everyone an equal change to get one. But I did receive some complaints from some other customers who didn't like that I was selling on eBay. I think they felt that buying from me and reselling on eBay was their domain.

It seems like no matter what I do sometimes, there is somebody who is not happy.

I certainly have no problem with people reselling my items on eBay. I don't even file complaints when someone uses my own product images and/or product descriptions in their eBay listings (so long as the thing they are offering actually is one of my products).

But selling special items privately seems to cause more problems than selling publicly. I haven't sold anything on eBay in years. But next time I have a special coins that aren't a normal product, I think I will list them as eBay auctions.

• Options

@1940coupe said:

@dcarr said:
    I think an explanation is in order.

The summer ANA show comes to Denver only once every 10 years or so. Because I am somewhat local to that location, and because I was scheduled to close shortly after the show on a place for my daughter to live in while she goes to college, I decided to get a table at the show and bring as many things as I could. I did not have a preference for any particular customers. But, of course, people that attended the show had the best chance to pick up some of the more unusual items.

The non-gold special items (some as pictured in this thread) were generally offered for about $200 to $500 each. So they were not cheap. Some people passed on them and others bought.

The octagonal planchet strips were going to be melted, but I had a couple offers to buy them from people that were visiting my workshop. One of those people, for example, was responsible for getting one of my over-strike "1964-D" Peace Dollars on the Pawn Stars TV show. So I felt that warranted a special favor in return.

Several years ago, when I had a few double-over-strike "1970" and "1975" Ike dollars I decided to part with a couple of them. Rather than selling them in private, I offered them in eBay auctions ($1 start bid, no reserve). That gave everyone an equal change to get one. But I did receive some complaints from some other customers who didn't like that I was selling on eBay. I think they felt that buying from me and reselling on eBay was their domain.

It seems like no matter what I do sometimes, there is somebody who is not happy.

I certainly have no problem with people reselling my items on eBay. I don't even file complaints when someone uses my own product images and/or product descriptions in their eBay listings (so long as the thing they are offering actually is one of my products).

But selling special items privately seems to cause more problems than selling publicly. I haven't sold anything on eBay in years. But next time I have a special coins that aren't a normal product, I think I will list them as eBay auctions.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/rm/lplqdj4vpw38.jpg guess I missed some how my chance to buiy this ?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2018 8:25AM

@1940coupe said:
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/rm/lplqdj4vpw38.jpg guess I missed some how my chance to buiy this ?

Embedding the image properly

This is awesome. There are some incredible pieces out there to collect!

• Options

@Zoins said:

@1940coupe said:

Embedding the image properly

This is awesome. There are some incredible pieces out there to collect!

Yes no mention on his sight how many he made ? like other strikes ? 1, 2, 50 ?

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2018 10:16AM

Don't feel too bad Coupe. I missed out on this one twice. Ain't that right Zoins?

Coupe let me know when you want to get rid of one of those Buffs you have.
    BTW....Where did you get your multi-struck nickels? I don't see them listed on his site.

• Options
    edited September 9, 2018 9:47PM

@Bullsitter said:
    Don't feel too bad Coupe. I missed out on this one twice. Ain't that right Zoins?

It's part of the thrill of the hunt. There are many of Dan's pieces that I love and don't have but think it's ok. When you have everything, collecting can get boring.

This is one of my favorites because it combines 3 things I love, the American Buffalo motif, his Open House tokens, and his early private pattern coins, of which I'm an avid collector. It was great for Dan to comment on this piece and indicate he supplied the base pattern coin and kept it afterwards for some time, because anyone can supply coins to be overstruck during the Open Houses.

I don't have multi-struck nickel but I have a bisecting reverse die crack coin which I love.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good looking 3's :)

@Zoins said:
    I've always loved red large cents but was afraid of the doctoring. Now I have 3! Thanks Dan! :)

• Options
    edited September 13, 2018 4:25AM

@Bullsitter said:

Coupe let me know when you want to get rid of one of those Buffs you have.
    BTW....Where did you get your multi-struck nickels? I don't see them listed on his site.

EBAY anyone could have had a chance to buy paid a hefty premium auction was for week ! cant get a answer were the peace dollar was bought ?
    click on post above and read( show previous quotes) I watch Ebay 24/7 never happen ? SO AT THIS POINT I DONT CARE

• Options
    edited September 13, 2018 12:44PM

Same bar....after 12 months on some yellow Post-it Notes. Can only imagine another year... :#

• Options

Bullsitter you dont need my nickels be patient there is probably some one out there with a hole sack of them !

• Options
    edited September 13, 2018 3:36PM

For you people who already know your going to get a 1919 ,1920 peace dollar off center PM me maybe we can make a deal ! Update thanks for reply's didn't expect so many

• Options

I am curious if a green or pink Post-It Notes would give their hues respectively ;)

@Bullsitter said:
    Same bar....after 12 months on some yellow Post-it Notes. Can only imagine another year... :#

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ass/u/me that Dan is working on his site?

Have tried to view the "on line store" page for two days and just get a server error page.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2018 9:28PM

@Bullsitter said:

Was this medal also placed in sunlight?

The post-it Notes seem to work better than Taco Bell Napkins,,,,,,,,,, I have had coins in Taco Bell Napkins for years and no toning at all.

I guess that I should have made sure there was some Taco Sauce on the napkin?

GrandAm :)
  • Options

@Paradisefound said:
    I am curious if a green or pink Post-It Notes would give their hues respectively ;)

@Bullsitter said:

I bought different colors and they didn't work, seems lke the yellow ones do the best.

Also not in sunshine, they're sitting on my desk.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bull you have all the neat tricks I am going to try that for the next 12 to 16 months! I got lots of yellow post it note's!

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2018 9:49PM

@Paradisefound said:

I'll try it -- green for one side, pink for the other.

Edit: After Bullsitter's post, I'm wrapping my 2015 FRCC 20th anniversary silver (~2x1 inches) in a YELLOW post-it.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

LOL ...but @Bullshitter say the yellow is the one...meaning has the most chemi :#

@Paradisefound said:

I'll try it -- green for one side, pink for the other.

• Options
    edited September 13, 2018 9:51PM

The bars started changing colors in the flips, on the edge corners. I took one out and put it on a post-it note and forgot about it. A few weeks later I checked it and it had really turned colors....the rest is history.

• Options

Forgot about this one, it's turning but not as fast as the bars.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

The bars started changing colors in the flips, on the edge corners. I took one out and put it on a post-it note and forgot about it. A few weeks later I checked it and it had really turned colors....the rest is history.

For me, it was the bar's edge closest to the flip opening that was changing the most.

So, I'm guessing air exposure hastens the process -- especially if it's warm humid smoggy air.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Bull !!!!!

• Options

Year of the Dog coins are cool, and limited. I like the reverse, pretty cool.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bull, how much for them tongs?

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

m

Think I paid around $15, well worth it.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Do you take PP?

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@Bullsitter said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Do you take PP?

m

Yes sir I do, shipping will be really high though since you're a Michigan fan..... ;):#B)

• Options

I bought 1 each of the Dogs and a few more goodies.

I'll finally get a Gold Winged Liberty, sending in a SG for Dan to restrike....that offer made my year !!

• Options

The year of the Dog Limited 1 per/ House Hold? I tried to place a few but to no avail :/

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    The year of the Dog Limited 1 per/ House Hold? I tried to place a few but to no avail :/

I didn't realize that, so I decided to order the silver and brass also.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@Twobitcollector said:

@Paradisefound said:

Oops, I had not intended it to be that way - just corrected it.
    Let me know if you want to cancel or modify the order.
    I will refund the duplicate shipping and combine the orders.

@dcarr
    Thanks I'm good about the other, would be nice if you would combine shipping.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options

You may combine both orders .... Shipping cost is the least concern for me but the additional packaging coming to the Island is :)o:)

@dcarr said:

@Twobitcollector said:

@Paradisefound said:

Oops, I had not intended it to be that way - just corrected it.
    Let me know if you want to cancel or modify the order.
    I will refund the duplicate shipping and combine the orders.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

To keep my C&G gold 1/4 oz up to date, I’m in on the 2018 $500 PL.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed the spelling of the word "FORTY" on the new piece. Here is what it says about how to spell out '40'.

You should never use fourty. It is an incorrect spelling of forty. Fourty is not correct in British or American English, and it appears to have never been the correct spelling. When writing out the number 40, forty is the only correct option.

So, is this an error on the new DC piece?

thefinn
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2018 2:01AM

@thefinn said:
    I noticed the spelling of the word "FORTY" on the new piece. Here is what it says about how to spell out '40'.

You should never use fourty. It is an incorrect spelling of forty. Fourty is not correct in British or American English, and it appears to have never been the correct spelling. When writing out the number 40, forty is the only correct option.

Intentional, not an error:

"NOTE: 'Fourty' is an old-time spelling, considered by some to be incorrect today, but widely used years ago."
    http://www.dc-coin.com/coloradogoldrushsesquicentennialpioneergold1troyoz999satinfinish-1-1-1-3-1-1-1-1-1-1-2-1-1-1-1.aspx

Centuries ago "40" was spelled "fourty". But apparently it changed in the early 17th century, when the King James version of the Bible was published using "forty" exclusively.

Likewise, I'd like to see "fourteen" changed to "forteen". Think of the savings in keystrokes and printer ink. Saves space too. Also consistent with "fortieth".

And someday we'll all fully embrace the Metric System. :)

• Options
    edited September 15, 2018 7:10AM

@thefinn said:

I was thinking FOURTY might be exactly what you use when you don’t want a piece confused with a genuine US coin.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm , just can’t get with the one ounce proof - maybe someone can post a more flattering picture. Maybe this design has been over saturated with similarity to previous releases.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

PS - hair strand going to viewer-s left appears to be a SNAKE! If so, muy bueno.
    IMO, even though I bought a number of these in the last issue, the design “over-accessorized” Ms. Liberty with CROWN and SHIELD and WINGS, etc.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

@Zoins said:

@thefinn said:

I was thinking FOURTY might be exactly what you use when you don’t want a piece confused with a genuine US coin.

Can you think of another $40 coin?

thefinn
  • Options

@COCollector said:

@thefinn said:

Intentional, not an error:

"NOTE: 'Fourty' is an old-time spelling, considered by some to be incorrect today, but widely used years ago."
    http://www.dc-coin.com/coloradogoldrushsesquicentennialpioneergold1troyoz999satinfinish-1-1-1-3-1-1-1-1-1-1-2-1-1-1-1.aspx

Centuries ago "40" was spelled "fourty". But apparently it changed in the early 17th century, when the King James version of the Bible was published using "forty" exclusively.

Likewise, I'd like to see "fourteen" changed to "forteen". Think of the savings in keystrokes and printer ink. Saves space too. Also consistent with "fortieth".

And someday we'll all fully embrace the Metric System. :)

So, it was used 300 years before the $20 saint came out? Hmmm.....

thefinn
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

I'll finally get a Gold Winged Liberty, sending in a SG

Curious on your thoughts on the restrike vs the .999 piece?

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK I decided to jump on a few of the forty dollar silver coins plus a few of the Dog's for my doggie!

• Options
    edited September 15, 2018 11:07AM

@thefinn said:

@Zoins said:

@thefinn said:

Can you think of another $40 coin?

If you’re not overstriking, it’s worth being a bit safer.

I can think of people convicted of counterfeiting for making rounds that don’t use any existing coin design.

I actually like the Fourty because it makes you think twice.

• Options

@Zoins said:
    ... I actually like the Fourty because it makes you think twice.

I like "Fourty" too. That's one reason I'm ordering it.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    PS - hair strand going to viewer-s left appears to be a SNAKE! If so, muy bueno.
    IMO, even though I bought a number of these in the last issue, the design “over-accessorized” Ms. Liberty with CROWN and SHIELD and WINGS, etc.

It's a bit much, I'll grant you that, but I like the historical significance so much so that the MCMVI Concept shares some space in my av. The 'concept' closely resembles an early sketch of ASG's idea of what a new-and-improved $20 could look like as per TR's direction.

• Options

@cheezhed said:

@Bullsitter said:

I'll finally get a Gold Winged Liberty, sending in a SG

Curious on your thoughts on the restrike vs the .999 piece?

I don't own the .999 piece but the photos of it from others here are gorgeous.
    I love all the O/S pieces and sometimes you get some very interesting pieces.
    I was dumb as a rock for not buying the .999 but I'm one happy camper for getting another shot.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file