Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    What are you talking about? You'll be adding these as well.....'22, '23, '24, '25, '26, '27, '28 and '29 <3

@Bullsitter said:

@GRANDAM said:
    1918 Broken Sword Peace Dollar final mintage 421 pcs.

The 1917 was 663 pcs so the 1918 is rarer.

Got the '17 and '18, good Lord willing I'll add the '19, '20 and '21.

I expect we'll see something special for the 100th anniversary in '21.

But has Dan said he'd continue the Broken Sword overstrike after '21? I'd be surprised if he does.

That is, I believe he has plenty of other interesting projects to occupy his talents.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been carrying this 1917 as a pocket piece for months.

What would you grade it? I graded it XF45, is that too low or too high?

• Options
    Mfriday4962Mfriday4962 Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

XF45 is accurate!!! Looks great! I should try that!!(:

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alright, alright, you guys talked me into it...bought the 1918 Peace Broken Sword. :) Might as well, I have all five variations of the 1964-D, 1917, and soon the 1918... Should make for a nice Peace Dollar collection when finally realized.

• Options

Hey Dan, have you thought of a $2 1/2 or $5 Indian overstrike? Is that even possible? I'd love to see the raised field smooth and satiny for a change. 1907? ;)

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renman95 said:
    Hey Dan, have you thought of a $2 1/2 or $5 Indian overstrike? Is that even possible? I'd love to see the raised field smooth and satiny for a change. 1907? ;)

My main area of collecting is the $2 1/2 Indians. I would love one! I think a date in the 1916-1924 range would be cool, since there was already a 1907 $2 1/2 and $5, just not an Indian of them.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@COCollector said:

@Paradisefound said:
    What are you talking about? You'll be adding these as well.....'22, '23, '24, '25, '26, '27, '28 and '29 <3

@Bullsitter said:

@GRANDAM said:

But has Dan said he'd continue the Broken Sword overstrike after '21? I'd be surprised if he does.

That is, I believe he has plenty of other interesting projects to occupy his talents.

Future Peace Dollar over-strikes will definitely include:

"1919" [Broken Sword] (next year);
    "1920" [Broken Sword] (in two years, also a "1920" Morgan based on the 1921 hub style);
    "MCMXXI" [Broken Sword] (in 2021, for the 100th anniversary, also with 2-oz silver medallic versions of normal 1921 Morgan and Peace).

These are also possible:

"1970" (in 2020 on the 50th anniversary of the large dollar copper-nickel clad trial strikes using the Peace Dollar design);
    "1936" (proof-like, to go with the 1936 proof set);
    "1931" (high relief);
    "1929" (remembering the Great depression).

Possible but unlikely:

"1930";
    "1932";
    "1933".

This is exactly why we need a love button

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renman95 said:

Without a raised rim to push metal into, this could be difficult.
    But I plan to give it a try.

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    I've been carrying this 1917 as a pocket piece for months.

What would you grade it? I graded it XF45, is that too low or too high?

Kind of an expensive pocket piece but a condition rarity right ?

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2018 7:38PM

Really shows how great the design is with a little rub visible

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    Bull Nice Picture. Really sharp. Here is my Dan's Gold

Looking good Glen, I wish I had gotten one of those, they are cool as cool can be....and rare.

• Options
    1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2018 3:02PM

i would like to welcome Mfriday4962 to the collecting of DC coins If DC can attract more like him they are going to go way up on value and popularity ! Just to help people understand in last few months besides buying two Gold 1934S he has bought dozens of DC coins !

• Options
    bigmountainlionbigmountainlion Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

How about 1803 or 1805 dollar?

• Options

1934 $10 Indian .... B)

• Options

@bigmountainlion said:
    How about 1803 or 1805 dollar?

@Bullsitter said:
    1934 $10 Indian .... B)

Both are probable at some point.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2018 2:14PM

Original photo. Use the head only .Fore the one on the right.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to have a Daniel Carr gold set. $2 1/2, $5, $10, and $20 Indians. Ok, the $20 is a st gaudens, but close enough!

• Options

@jwitten said:

@renman95 said:

My main area of collecting is the $2 1/2 Indians. I would love one! I think a date in the 1916-1924 range would be cool, since there was already a 1907 $2 1/2 and $5, just not an Indian of them.

Why I like would like to see a 1907 $2 1/2: The 1907 $20 coins were minted depicting the Liberty Head (PDS) and with Saint Gaudens' version (UHR, HR, LR); the 1907 $10 coins were both made in Liberty Head (PDS) and Indian designs (Wire, Rolled, NM); the $5 gold coins overlap in 1908 (P) in both Liberty Head and BLP's incused Indian. The $2 1/2 gold coin does not overlap; the Liberty Head ends in 1907 and the Indian begins in 1908. A 1907 $2 1/2 Indian would be consistent with the larger denominated gold.

Btw, I have a bias, I have 12 of the 14 required gold coins for my 1907 Mint Set with Gold registry set. ;)

• Options

Hey Mfriday4962 that is a interesting Avatar you have what is it ?

• Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭

“Hey Mfriday4962 that is a interesting Avatar you have what is it ?”
    It’s a Restore the Republic medal designed by Dan and minted at the Freedom mint. The Ron Paul medals are probably the most recognized in the same series. They’re on the Potrait medal page in the Moonlight mint catalog

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@renman95 said:

Without a raised rim to push metal into, this could be difficult.
    But I plan to give it a try.

How did they do it before?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

I would say overstiking a coin is different than striking a blank ?

• Options

@drfish said:
    “Hey Mfriday4962 that is a interesting Avatar you have what is it ?”
    It’s a Restore the Republic medal designed by Dan and minted at the Freedom mint. The Ron Paul medals are probably the most recognized in the same series. They’re on the Potrait medal page in the Moonlight mint catalog

"Freedom Mint" was just a marketing name used by the person that was distributing them.
    I did the design, sculpting, engraving, and minting. That "Freedom Head" medal was sculpted from a photo of an actual person. The photo was supplied to me by the person who commissioned me to make them.

They are listed in the "Portrait Medals" section here (7th section from the top):
    moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_medals_portrait_list.htm

• Options

Great information DC...

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Freedom mint seems like the right time to come out with a special 4th of July coin for America (us). Just wishful thinking of course. Plenty to buy on his site now.

• Options

• Options

How many Daniel Carr peices of art do you own?

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I requested a self emitting 3D hologram 21 Peace dollar for the anniversary.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@COCollector said:

@Paradisefound said:

@Bullsitter said:

@GRANDAM said:

Future Peace Dollar over-strikes will definitely include:

"1919" [Broken Sword] (next year);
    "1920" [Broken Sword] (in two years, also a "1920" Morgan based on the 1921 hub style);
    "MCMXXI" [Broken Sword] (in 2021, for the 100th anniversary, also with 2-oz silver medallic versions of normal 1921 Morgan and normal 1921 Peace).

These are also possible:

"1970" (in 2020 on the 50th anniversary of the large dollar copper-nickel clad trial strikes using the Peace Dollar design);
    "1936" (proof-like, to go with the 1936 US Mint proof set);
    "1931" [high relief];
    "1929" (remembering the Great Depression).

Possible but unlikely:

"1930";
    "1932";
    "1933".

Dan, thanks for the reply.

Hopefully we'll see a proof-like Peace dollar. And maybe a cameo... DCAM if possible... so far I've only got one.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

@dcarr said:
    I did do some of the "1964-D" Peace over-strikes as PL (some as cameo):

The fields on a Peace Dollar are not consistently basined. They are wavy and irregular. There is also that trough along the back side of Liberty's neck (which is a high ridge on the die). This makes polishing the fields difficult. If I do a "1936" proof-like over-strike I will re-sculpt the fields to make them semi-spherical on the dies.

Dan when you sold these you graded them MS-66 PL lower than other coins so my question is if you have one graded by ANACS at MS-68 wouldn't that be the best you could get

• Options

Its the Wizard again fighting the evil doer's of the world!

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

The fields on a Peace Dollar are not consistently basined. They are wavy and irregular. There is also that trough along the back side of Liberty's neck (which is a high ridge on the die). This makes polishing the fields difficult. If I do a "1936" proof-like over-strike I will re-sculpt the fields to make them semi-spherical on the dies.

I sure didn’t see those 64 Peace dollar cameo being offered when I bought my die pair 5. I guess I missed out :|

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

@1940coupe said:

@dcarr said:

Dan when you sold these you graded them MS-66 PL lower than other coins so my question is if you have one graded by ANACS at MS-68 wouldn't that be the best you could get

I usually label such coins with a low-ball grade so that buyers will be pleased when their example arrives and it is a higher grade than that. I think I decided on the "66" grade because the PL over-strike Peace showed a fair amount of die stress lines, host coin artifacts, etc. I think an MS-69PL grade is possible, although MS-68 is more likely.

• Options

@dcarr said:

Thats a nice picture presentation with that DARK BLACK! Nice job sir.

• Options

@crazyhounddog said:

@dcarr said:

I sure didn’t see those 64 Peace dollar cameo being offered when I bought my die pair 5. I guess I missed out :|

When I offered these in 2010, the order of release was:

Die Pair 5 brilliant satin quad-struck with lighter force.
    Die Pair 5 brilliant satin single-strike with higher tonnage.
    Die Pair 6 brilliant satin.
    Die Pair 6 proof-like.
    Die Pair 6 matte.

The last two types were only available for a relatively short time near the end of the run.

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    OK back to business I got this from one of the great people here on this board.

Gluggo, you have become a Daniel Carr Monster. You're keeping me on my toes.... ;)

I like that Oregon Beaver.

• Options

@dcarr said:

@crazyhounddog said:

@dcarr said:

Die Pair 6 proof-like.
    Die Pair 6 matte.

The last two types were only available for a relatively short time near the end of the run.

I wonder which one this is? I mean I know it's a die pair 5 but it was so long ago I don't remember all of the details.
    Thanks for any help.....

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

@crazyhounddog said:

@dcarr said:

@crazyhounddog said:

@dcarr said:

Die Pair 6 proof-like.
    Die Pair 6 matte.

I wonder which one this is? I mean I know it's a die pair 5 but it was so long ago I don't remember all of the details.
    Thanks for any help.....

That is probably a single-strike later-issue Die Pair 5.
    I think the earlier Die Pair 5 over-strikes do not have the die pair listed on the certificates.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got mine today, long wait - of course they shipped whilst I was in Asia and then took a circuitous route to get here via mail.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

@dcarr said:

@crazyhounddog said:

@dcarr said:

@crazyhounddog said:

@dcarr said:

Die Pair 6 proof-like.
    Die Pair 6 matte.

Thanks for any help.....

That is probably a single-strike later-issue Die Pair 5.
    I think the earlier Die Pair 5 over-strikes do not have the die pair listed on the certificates.

Thank you, Dan. Much appreciated ;)

• Options

@Zoins said:

@jwitten said:
    Oh dear, right as I'm trying to cut back purchases and save a little money, lol. Looks like the one I have been waiting for finally came out... an actual overstrike! I went ahead and pulled the trigger! I also picked up a couple of the feeders, those look neat.

Awesome and out of stock already!

I hope Dan does a "TWENTY DOLLARS" winged liberty!

Also noticed the nice looking large and half cents too, and that the 1933 Gold DE is no longer available.

cant believe Zoins has just disappeared I am pretty sure he bought the gold 1934 ! late at night when you come on forum if you look you can see who is on line and it was is usually chief , me , Dan Carr and Zoins almost every night so rest in peace Zoins who ever you were !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file