Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

Have to say ,this 1934 st Gold is so beautiful and rare its almost like owning a 1933 ! Who knows where the value will be someday ?

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent my 1934 $20 Gold along with 21 other Dan Carr pcs to ICG for grading. Expecting high grades on the gold and several 1918 broken sword Peace Dollars.

Also sent 3 1910 Indian Head Cents along with 2 ea of the silver and brass Saint Gaudens coins.

I also had several of the Apollo Astronauts coins of 2001 & 2009 that I never got around to sending in.

Anxiously awaiting the grades to come in even though the coins haven't made it to Florida yet. :|

GrandAm :)
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm tempted to send the gold in for grading, but I probably won't, because I love the fact that he left the original edge lettering on these. ICG and ANACS completely cover the edges.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2018 7:49PM

You have the most prominent doubling looks....so pretty; prettier than mine. I would keep it as is <3 It commands 30% over premium already....... ;) *I am one of the would be buyer if you wish to part with it :)

@jwitten said:
    I'm tempted to send the gold in for grading, but I probably won't, because I love the fact that he left the original edge lettering on these. ICG and ANACS completely cover the edges.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindyS said:
    One 1934 $20 Fantasy order number 14152 on May 15th at 6:34AM Colorado Time.

I am hoping it looks like gold, not brass I read about earlier.

They're the same color as a Krugerrand or AGE.

thefinn
  • GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2018 2:23PM

Bull nice bunch of DC coins. I counted about 16 or so Gold colored coins. Just wondering are they all Gold? :p:p:p:p:p

From what I hear its almost impossible to get a 70. I think I even read where they wont issue a 70 or not very often. But for DC 69 is better than a 68. I have had about 3 coins graded back a 68 from the Mint! :(

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2018 3:06PM

I'm cool with the color on mine.

Still don't know why its a solid 1/2 gram heavy.

Maybe it got gold plated before Dan got his hands on it ?

Maybe the US Mint made an error ?

I've never owned a Stainty G TWENTY DOLLARS so I am not familiar with over spec weight USA gold.

Wish I had sprung for a 2nd example

;^(

BUT, One is better than none

;^)

Lindy

@thefinn said:

@LindyS said:
    One 1934 $20 Fantasy order number 14152 on May 15th at 6:34AM Colorado Time.

I am hoping it looks like gold, not brass I read about earlier.

They're the same color as a Krugerrand or AGE.

• VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crazyhoundog ~ How in the world do you create those images. They are simply amazing !

Dan Fan
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you. Yes I have sank some serious money into my camera setup.
    Your comments are very well received.
    Thank you :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you ever thought of home tutoring, could be fun
    and lucrative.

@grip said:
    Have you ever thought of home tutoring, could be fun
    and lucrative.

I will help anyone that has a Nikon camera . I only use Nikon and have so all my life. Actually any SLR camera I can help somewhat.
    Thanks again as I love complements on my imaging.
    GREAT subjectmatter, Dan :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭

Love that stack of coins. Sure is fun to get 'em out and play with them ! :)

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't get the whole "MS70" on overstruck coins. I think ANACS started using the grade because ICG did, and they were afraid they were losing business. Just another gimmick to get coins to grade, and for people to ask more for what they got. I couldn't care less with the items I send in if they come back 69 or 70. Now, 68 means there is an issue, like too much of the host showing in areas, weak strike, or a small tick somewhere. And the selling prices show that.

thefinn
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:
    I don't get the whole "MS70" on overstruck coins. I think ANACS started using the grade because ICG did, and they were afraid they were losing business. Just another gimmick to get coins to grade, and for people to ask more for what they got. I couldn't care less with the items I send in if they come back 69 or 70. Now, 68 means there is an issue, like too much of the host showing in areas, weak strike, or a small tick somewhere. And the selling prices show that.

ANACS does not give 70's on O/S coins, 69 is the top grade on O/S pieces.

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2018 2:15AM

@Voyageur said:
    DC creations are fun to display in different ways. Quicklab 41mm capsules are a good fit for 1.5 oz. Owls if you are looking for alternatives to filps, ANACS, or ICG.....

I could'n resist, they look so good. I only wish I had a 2015 to go along with the other 3. Just click the image to see it full screen

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN

I am a huge Dan Carr fan especially the Clark and Gruber pieces. Great designs and his engraving is next to none.
    Keep em coming Dan my man.....

1934 Saint Gaudens is............OUT FOR DELIVERY.... :#

Seems longer to reach your destination than my home state B).....glad you will finally see her <3

@Bullsitter said:

edited June 28, 2018 1:42PM

@Paradisefound said:
    Seems longer to reach your destination than my home state B).....glad you will finally see her <3

@Bullsitter said:

It was in Chicago for 5 days. Then Atlanta and then to me in LA...........Lower Alabama, where it's hotter than hell... >:)

Photos asap.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2018 10:42AM

@Bullsitter said:

I would have to meet the postal delivery person at their vehicle to relieve them from having to carrying such an anticipated parcel.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

@oih82w8 said:

@Bullsitter said:

I would have to meet the postal delivery person at their vehicle to relieve them from having to carrying such an anticipated parcel.

I'm standing by the window looking and when he shows I'll do just that.

@crazyhounddog said:
    Here's my 2015.....

Hounddog, those images are off the charts, awesome.

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2018 11:08AM

Like Al Bundy waiting for pizza.......https://goo.gl/images/t64v4o

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang these things are gorgeous

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2018 9:24PM

1918 Broken Sword Peace Dollar final mintage 421 pcs.

The 1917 was 663 pcs so the 1918 is rarer.

GrandAm :)
  • BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy sh*t , Dcarr, and others should start hiring you to shoot for their web site. Wow. @crazyhounddog

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
    edited June 29, 2018 2:21AM

@GRANDAM said:

I imagine they will be gone very soon, high grade 370 pieces.

• Mfriday4962Mfriday4962 Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

Wow 421 pcs is a lot...

@Mfriday4962 said:
    Wow 421 pcs is a lot...

For a D.Carr piece...yes.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

@BruceS said:
    Holy sh*t , Dcarr, and others should start hiring you to shoot for their web site. Wow. @crazyhounddog

I would happily do that :)

edited June 29, 2018 11:00AM

One would hard pressed (pun not intended) to find any D. Carr items not SOLD OUT on his website...maybe half-a-dozen items, including the 1918 Broken Sword.

I agree, I love his work but I do buy them for a future investment...

edited June 29, 2018 10:39AM

@GRANDAM said:

Got the '17 and '18, good Lord willing I'll add the '19, '20 and '21.

What are you talking about? You'll be adding these as well.....'22, '23, '24, '25, '26, '27, '28 and '29 <3

@Bullsitter said:

@GRANDAM said:

edited June 29, 2018 10:54AM

@Paradisefound said:
    What are you talking about? You'll be adding these as well.....'22, '23, '24, '25, '26, '27, '28 and '29 <3

I'll take 'em... B) and thank you kindly.

Lol ha right... I will get all of them!

I have the 17 & 18 broken sword so why wouldn’t I buy the others?
    Great work and I’m a fan :)

Ordered some more items from Dan early this morning...they have already been shipped.

Getting it done in Colorado...... B)

@Bullsitter said:
    Ordered some more items from Dan early this morning...they have already been shipped.

Getting it done in Colorado...... B)

Me too :) Fast shipping these days.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to see Dan had some more 1918 coins for sale. A few weeks back he was all sold out better jump on board, like Bull said they will be gone. Poof and it will be too late. There will always be one person who will wish they had one. If they only bought earlier.

Dang Bull got some more coming good for you!

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:

@Bullsitter said:

@GRANDAM said:

I expect we'll see something special for the 100th anniversary in '21.

But has Dan said he'd continue the Broken Sword overstrike after '21? I'd be surprised if he does.

That is, I believe he has plenty of other interesting projects to occupy his talents.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

I've been carrying this 1917 as a pocket piece for months.

What would you grade it? I graded it XF45, is that too low or too high?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file