Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

May Mail-Call!

Comments

• ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

These came in today, all ebay pickups.

• Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

@Huskies11 said:

Finally got this guy to complete my PSA 10 Manny rookie set. Harder to find than I expected!

Wow, I was talking about this card on another board. How are the corners in-person? They look completely rounded, especially in the back scan.

ok now that Ive gotten it in person, the corners are super funky looking. I am absolutely boggled by it. It looks like a clean slab but I'm now questioning it.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2018 9:50PM

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    While not my most expensive purchase or highest graded card this month, I just couldn't pass up getting ....

Scanning eBay now. Looking to get my own Dick Felt later tonight.

Kevin

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

May have better luck on tinder or craigslist...> @LOTSOS said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    While not my most expensive purchase or highest graded card this month, I just couldn't pass up getting ....

Scanning eBay now. Looking to get my own Dick Felt later tonight.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Huskies11 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@Huskies11 said:

Finally got this guy to complete my PSA 10 Manny rookie set. Harder to find than I expected!

Wow, I was talking about this card on another board. How are the corners in-person? They look completely rounded, especially in the back scan.

ok now that Ive gotten it in person, the corners are super funky looking. I am absolutely boggled by it. It looks like a clean slab but I'm now questioning it.

Nothing sticks out about the slab from the scan. I'd say mech error by PSA but at the same time why would anyone ever submit that card for grading with those corners? This is baffling. That's clearly not a PSA 10. It's an $80 card so still worth it to someone if it's an easy switch. Did you gently run your fingernail inside the seam to see if it would pop open?

Arthur

@ReggieCleveland said:

@Huskies11 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@Huskies11 said:

Nothing sticks out about the slab from the scan. I'd say mech error by PSA but at the same time why would anyone ever submit that card for grading with those corners? This is baffling. That's clearly not a PSA 10. It's an $80 card so still worth it to someone if it's an easy switch. Did you gently run your fingernail inside the seam to see if it would pop open?

Arthur

I did, and nothing. What makes this even more baffling is that the corners don't look damaged, they look almost as if it was produced like this, perfectly rounded as if it was on purpose.

Currently Collecting:

Scooped this one right on these forums from Jerster (thanks again!!!). We'll see what PSA says soon enough but it's a gorgeous copy of a classic...

1955 Topps #164 Roberto Clemente

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭

Hard to find a '52 Mr. Ennis centered. Not perfect but good enough for an upgrade. Doug

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

My unopened binge continues...

mint_only_pls

@Huskies11 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@Huskies11 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@Huskies11 said:

Arthur

I did, and nothing. What makes this even more baffling is that the corners don't look damaged, they look almost as if it was produced like this, perfectly rounded as if it was on purpose.

I wonder > @Huskies11 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@Huskies11 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@Huskies11 said:

Arthur

Someone posted the back of another Pinnacle Manny and those corners are rounded as well. It appears that it's not an issue with your specific card as it is with the Pinnacle Manny, or perhaps the entire Pinnacle set that year. So bizarre.

Arthur

• CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2018 10:37AM

Showed these beauties off in the find thread as well, but super stoked about adding these HOF rookies. Do not hesitate to work with Jerster, first class all the way.

Will be adding Kaline’s signature to his rookie in July.

• yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

I think I might be hooked on the 1911 T205 cards. Because the cards are more than 100 years old, I don't mind having some in bad shape. Here is a PSA 2 of Clark Griffith. He is one of the 27 hall of famers from the set. More importantly, he played several years for the Cubs. This guy was born in 1869!! Imagine that.

These just came back from PSA yesterday.

@1970s That Orr is incredible. I'm not familiar with the issue but it's quite easy on the eyes. I have to admit though, I did a little bottom-of-the-well-in-the-basement-hostage scream on the inside when I saw that sticker on the back. It makes my soul cry.

But then I saw that Lemieux and the Gretzky PC (a personal favorite) and I smiled again.

Arthur

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2018 8:15AM

Great hockey run @1970s! 3 GOAT candidates in any post is always a treat.

Love the Mario. I’ve been waiting to find the right OPC 9 myself. I can’t seem to justify in my head going after a 10. The price difference has to be the biggest spread of any post 1980 Hockey RC.

Kevin

PS The thought of a sticker on a Howe RC made me a bit queezy.

Kevin

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Jeter pickup back from PSA re-holdering.

• Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know just about nothing about hockey or hockey cards, but to echo what others have said, that General Mills Orr is outstanding!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Nicely done, DPeck!....gorgeous card

Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CSUrunandstun said:
    Nicely done, DPeck!....gorgeous card

Thank you!

This is a great card and I feel very fortunate to be able to purchase it and add it to my collection.

I sent a pic of it to Ric via text and he loved it!

• CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Whats the latest on Flair's health?...

Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CSUrunandstun said:
    Whats the latest on Flair's health?...

Not sure. I saw in the headlines that he canceled some shows recently. I only text him every once and awhile but it is cool that he texts back.

Hopefully it isn't anything serious.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Huskies11 Love that Nomar! My introduction to buying PSA graded cards started with the regular & gold versions of that Nomar rookie.

@erikthredd said:
    @Huskies11 Love that Nomar! My introduction to buying PSA graded cards started with the regular & gold versions of that Nomar rookie.

Same! When I started to get back into collecting it was during the start of the Nomar vs Arod vs Jeter debate. Nomar was an amazing talent that I think unfortunately will get overlooked as time goes on. Wish he would've gotten that 2004 ring too :(

Currently Collecting:

edited May 23, 2018 1:30PM

@JRFinest said:
    Odd month for me. Normally I'm a vintage guy.

2016 Heritage Minors - Ronald Acuna : PSA 10
    2017 Bowman's Best (Blue Refractor) : PSA 10 (limited to 150)
    2017 Bowman's Best (Purple Refractor) : PSA 10 (limited to 250)

Gwinnett Braves - Peter Moylan jersey. Game Used.

That Acuna lot is sweet

edited May 23, 2018 1:25PM

I was happy to find this at a reasonable price as their price seems to be trending upward since PSA began to slab them. Sure, it's not perfect - like most of my collection - but it's pretty nice. I'll have to figure out whether or not to slab it - and how to best prepare it for submission - in the event I don't just keep it raw.

1968 Topps Posters Display Box featuring Mickey Mantle

Bottom

Complete Box

I wish the top was in as good condition as the rest of the box is but overall the eye appeal is pretty strong.

• vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

That Mantle box is awesome. I'd fold it out, stuff it, shrink wrap it and display it. Nice scoop whatever you do with it.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

The yellow print mark under Warren's chin might bother some, but I think it added character to a vintage card

Very nice cards as always. The Carlton and Robinson just came back from PSA and the Musial and Abreu are ebay pickups. These Heritage autos have turned into crack for me and have really slowed the progress of my 52 build.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Opening this page and seeing @UFFDAH 's Durant reminds me I never posted one I just picked up. I am a fool for all things Fleer Ultra, especially Gold Medallion, so this was a no-brainer when I spotted it on eBay. I love everything about this card.

Arthur

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yoda99 said:
    1967 Football cards are notorious for being off center. I found what I think is a really nice 1967 Philadelphia card of Bart Starr. You might say that the card is a little rough around the edges, but the fact that it's a 7 prevented me from breaking the bank. I still need about 7 more of his cards including his rookie, so I still have a way to go.

Yoda, very nice pickup. I have been looking for a nicely centered Unitas and next to impossible to find. Congrats.

edited May 26, 2018 2:29PM

The seller didn't mention anything about error boxes and didn't price it like they were error boxes. I thought I saw a little something so I rolled the dice and it paid off. First run, all the errors except INC. Giddy up!

Arthur

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Justin Timberlake played for the Sabres?

@LOTSOS That Hull is fantastic. Seeing any '79 in PSA 10 is such a treat, being programmed to view them in lesser condition from seeing the Gretzkys all the time.

The '90 Donruss errors are a veritable cornucopia of treats for the error collector. The errors themselves are not rare. Finding unopened error wax is extremely difficult and finding high-grade errors is also extremely difficult.

There's a Juan Gonzalez Rated Rookie reverse negative. A Ruben Sierra Diamond King where the vertical black line on the back doesn't reach the top. Two special Nolan Ryan cards that have their backs switched. All of the All-Star cards have Major League Experience on the back above the stats instead of All-Star Experience. The John Smoltz MVP card has a picture of Tom Glavine instead of Smoltz. The MVP cards have no dot after INC on the back. There's a few handful of cards where the black line on the front crosses over one of the letter in their name. There are some D.O.B. errors. Some text errors. The Brian Downing Diamond King is a reverse negative. There are also some checklist errors for good measure.

Arthur

• slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

just picked this up for my collection .

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭

Just got this Sweet Lou Kretlow yesterday. I don't often crack and resubmit but this could be a bump possibility. What do you fellas think? Doug

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Piggs said:
    Just got this Sweet Lou Kretlow yesterday. I don't often crack and resubmit but this could be a bump possibility. What do you fellas think? Doug

Hiya Doug - looks as good as any of the 7s I've picked up.

Mike
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

5) 1977 Topps Hockey Wax pack. Adding this one leaves me with two left to complete my 1970-85 Topps pack run in 8+.

Really nice Kevin - best of luck on the last 2 buddy.

Mike