Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

May Mail-Call!

Comments

• Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely incredible pickups this month!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! Talk about flipper's paradise. Nice score, Doug!

Arthur

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    WOW! Talk about flipper's paradise. Nice score, Doug!

Arthur

Thanks! It's funny how some random comment will send me down a rabbit hole sometimes, and before I know it, it's a couple hours later, and I'm like, how the heck did I end up here? Haha!

FYI, I did open an additional 3 rack packs based on the "nobodies" from the Jordan sequence that were showing, and hit 3 for 3 on pulling a Jordan, always from the center cell. Then opened one with a Jordan sticker showing (for my PC), and discovered Danny Manning RC, and second year Miller, Pippen, and Rodman are sequenced within about 7 cards of each other. Based on the rest of the cards in the sequence, I can see some of these additional packs were cherry picked because of that.

There are some additional packs with nobodies that don't correspond to any of my limited sequencing knowledge, so I'm going to assume...Magic? Doubt I rip any more just to find out, though.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

Opened 5 total rack packs from that lot, and pulled these 5 Jordans. Nothing really outstanding, as they as have flaws, with the top left one probably being the best. It was fun, though. Done ripping, for now.

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF - I keep looking at the 57' Auto Mantle and it is pretty awesome. I would for sure get that re-holdered into the latest and greatest PSA holder. Sweet Card!!

• yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2018 7:49AM

I picked up this 1962 Post Cereal Ron Santo card. I have Banks and needed Santo. There are only 4 graded PSA 6 and only 10 graded higher.

• hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bambi in hand. Along with a cool looking CD for my CD set :) . With no plans to ever sell cards again, and because I display everything, no scanner pics anymore. Just regular old pics :)

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2018 4:22PM

Great stuff as usual, guys. I dig the '69 Mets banner and of course the '52 Topps Mantle. This Aaron Stand Up is actually an April acquisition but I'm just getting around to showing it now. A nice sharp card from a condition-sensitive issue - really nice for a 6.

Daniel
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to get centering like that Matt.

Job well done buddy.

Mike
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2018 12:45PM

These two modern beauties a from @Counselor right here on CU (thanks again, they're great and I mailed mine today). I don't have a lot of 'shiny' Yankees stuff but these caught my eye, seemed like a good place to start and needless to say I am starting to understand the appeal more and more:

2017 Topps Chrome Update Aaron Judge HMT 40

2017 Topps Chrome Update Aaron Judge HMT 50**

(I think I need to clean the scanner window as the cards and cases are flawless.)

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

A pickup from this year and now Auto Graded.

• MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

Wow on the Russell!!

• Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those "Real One" autographs are tremendous.

I used the 15% 5/4 coupon for this

Also picked this up last week, it's miscut but I've loved this card and decided low grade was OK for me

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach

Son of a horse knuckle! I had stopped getting the discounts fro ebay so I switched my eBay email. Well, somehow, they unchecked that I receive buying discounts in my comm preferences. So that's why I've been missing out on all these eBay bucks and coupons. Hershey squirts!

Arthur

That's an incredible array Stoney - and that's quite a nice 52T Wellman - very nicely centered.

Mike
  • yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

Don Kessinger and Glenn Beckert were the one/two hitters for the Cubs for many years. I picked up their cards from 1973. Looks like Glenn Beckert is telling the home plate umpire about his great savings on GEICO. Also picked up Jose Cardenal. He was a nice spark for the Cubs back then, He was the only Cub player in 1973 to hit at least 300. (he hit 303)

Really nice 73's Micky.

No black prints spray - they look xtra minty.

Mike
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2018 2:38PM

@prgsdw said:
    Great items this month! Really impressive pieces. I love seeing the diversity of what folks collect.

I needed one last item to complete my 1969 Topps football series 1 raw set and it was a tough one, the Piccolo rookie. I didn't want one that was altered or that i'd be unhappy with when I got it in hand, so I decided to wait for a nice graded item to crack out for the set (which I store in Card Saver 1's inside a PSA perfect fit sleeve in a 4 pocket ultra pro platinum page inside an Archival Methods D-ring binder with slip cover). I was fortunate to get this one:

>

I sold my previous 1965 Don Meredith PSA 9 to Abe last fall and started to regret it, so was lucky to add it back a couple weeks ago to my Dallas Cowboys collection along with one of the last cards I needed to complete my 1968 Dallas Cowboys team set (https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/football/team-sets/1968-topps-dallas-cowboys/alltimeset/260643):

>

I started working on the 1961 Fleer Dallas Cowboys team set as well and picked up a few items, here are the highlights:

>

I really like those original Dallas Cowboys jerseys (prefer the predominantly blue to the white) and the early team logos.

Steve

All Beauties!

• prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Dave! Those wrappers are fantastic, very neat. They look practically brand new!

edited May 12, 2018 4:29PM

Wow - what a nice card Steve - Piccolo

Who doesn't remember the tear jerker about his life.

I like the spelling on the card - I thought he just spelled it Brian?

I'm a big fan of "Dandy Don" - another nice flash of good memories.

Good looking cards - very nice pickup buddy.

Mike
  • prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Mike! Yes, I believe the spelling was an uncorrected error that year. Meredith's son just did a very nice documentary of the ice bowl for the 50th anniversary last fall, you should check it out if you haven't seen it already, it was really well done.

That's three great posts in a row there.

@BPorter26 That's an outstanding Dr. J. Bare minimum black in the top left quad, no barnacle beneath his elbow, no fisheyes in the red team name, great centering, sharp, clean edges, just masterful. Virtually none of the issues that plague that card. COngrats on an awesome pickup!

@Tomi I have always loved that Ripken and all of the hobby legend that goes with it. It's very underrated and I feel like I haven't seen one in a while. Glad someone is showing one off, and a beauty at that!

Tim, I am a sucker for those '36 Goudey Premiums. Such a nice looking set that seems to get no love. That Dickey is right in your wheelhouse, congrats!

Arthur

I sold my PSA 8 DR, J a few years ago and have regretted it ever since, but I was able to pick this one up last week.

Very nice 8 Bobby - glad to see one is back home again.

Mike
  • minnesotahuskerminnesotahusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

@mintonlypls Will PSA reslab that 1961 pack on their dime to get the spelling of Ashburn correct? I am an Ashburn guy and this pack makes me drool.

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Minnesotahusker...

I was disappointed in the misspelling of Ashburn too. I did not notice when I purchased...but I am hopeful PSA will correct and place in the most modern slab.

mint_only_pls
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Donato, I've never seen those before. Was it common knowledge when they came out that the ghost writing was there or was this a hobby secret for a while? Also, are there versions of those cards without the ghost writing? I'm fascinated by these, very interesting.

Arthur

Hi Arthur,

I don't think it was common knowledge that there were Ghostwriting cards found in packs of 1993 Pacific cards. It does not say anywhere on the boxes or the packs that these cards come in, to look for Ghostwriters.

Yes, there are versions of these cards without the Ghostwriting. Like any other 90's product there are 100's of thousands of regular versions of these cards with no messages on the back.

Thanks for your interest. Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

@divecchia said:

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Donato, I've never seen those before. Was it common knowledge when they came out that the ghost writing was there or was this a hobby secret for a while? Also, are there versions of those cards without the ghost writing? I'm fascinated by these, very interesting.

Arthur

Hi Arthur,

I don't think it was common knowledge that there were Ghostwriting cards found in packs of 1993 Pacific cards. It does not say anywhere on the boxes or the packs that these cards come in, to look for Ghostwriters.

Yes, there are versions of these cards without the Ghostwriting. Like any other 90's product there are 100's of thousands of regular versions of these cards with no messages on the back.

Thanks for your interest. Donato

Wow. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall of the guy that first spotted the ghostwriting. I may need to start buying '93 boxes. This is right in my wheelhouse.

Arthur

• Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

Finally got this guy to complete my PSA 10 Manny rookie set. Harder to find than I expected!

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Huskies11 said:
    Finally got this guy to complete my PSA 10 Manny rookie set. Harder to find than I expected!

Those black borders are incredibly tough to hit Gems on, very nice!

@Huskies11 said:

Wow, I was talking about this card on another board. How are the corners in-person? They look completely rounded, especially in the back scan.

• hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

@Huskies11 said:

Wow, I was talking about this card on another board. How are the corners in-person? They look completely rounded, especially in the back scan.

Gotta admit that is funky looking

Another recent Durant pick up.