Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Boy Scouts are dropping the word 'boy' from their name

Comments

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Person Scouts of America"

Will this automatically require a new issue of the Boy Scout commemorative things?

Now we'll have:
    Wimpy Wolf
    Teddy Bear, and
    Lion King Cub

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

the various scout commemoratives were already worthless , I doubt this change could make them worth less

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Excelsior Shoe Company is going to have to revise their 1910 token.

Excelsior Shoe Company Boy Scout Shoe token

They will have to add a girl rider on the horse.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2018 8:18AM

@WillieBoyd2 said:

Yes, remove the word "boy" and add a girl rider - those are the only two changes they need to make. :D

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@WillieBoyd2 said:

Yes, remove the word "boy" and add a girl rider - those are the only two changes they need to make. :D

What about the Swastaka(SP)? How did that ever get on a Boy Scout token??!!

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2019 4:17AM

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

The swastika is actually an ancient symbol that in western culture in the early 20th century was a good luck symbol. It is pictured on this token along with other good luck symbols. It was not until the early 1930s or so that it was adopted by the Nazi Party in Germany and since WWII it has been forever tainted by that association.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2018 8:43AM

@DIMEMAN said:

@JBK said:

@WillieBoyd2 said:

The Swastika was an ancient good luck symbol before the Nazis appropriated it.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

@JBK said:

@DIMEMAN said:

The swastika is actually an ancient symbol that in western culture in the early 20th century was a good luck symbol. It is pictured on this token along with other good luck symbols. It was not until the early 1930s or so that it was adopted by the Nazi Party in Germany and since WWII it has been forever tainted by that association.

I did not know that. I wonder how many people have been offended by this not knowing the history behind it?

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

The token posted is a great example of the truth that living through history and looking back on history are not the same thing. Symbols that endure can change meanings many times over the years.
    Those who would look back and remove parts of the historical record that no longer conform to current ideals should be extremely cautious. A marker or a statue is not necessarily a celebration, but rather a reminder to all that something momentous happened there, good or evil. To remove those markers does a disservice not only to those people trying to see the good, and also to the people trying to avoid repeating the evil.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    o·be·di·ent
    əˈbēdēənt,ōˈbēdēənt/Submit
    adjective
    complying or willing to comply with orders or requests; submissive to another's will.
    "she was totally obedient to him"

with respect to your definition, in the context of the scout pledge, i interpret "obedient" to mean respect for a chain of command, much like the military has...between leader and scout; not as females submitting to males.

finally, pledges and oaths are taken by candidates...who, by definition, seek confirmation of that pledge or oath. if females become candidates for scouts, they are choosing to take the same pledge, just as other scouts have done before them. there's no evidence they are seeking to change it, or that it should be changed.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2018 11:17AM

Obedient is a very strong word.

I agree that it certainly means to follow the chain of command, but .......

Add young impressionable girls, with young boys and statistically, some adult leaders that word may be used in other ways .....

• Options

@steveben said:
    finally, pledges and oaths are taken by candidates...who, by definition, seek confirmation of that pledge or oath. if females become candidates for scouts, they are choosing to take the same pledge, just as other scouts have done before them. there's no evidence they are seeking to change it, or that it should be changed.

In my opinion, your comments are entirely reasonable and on target, but I am in doubt that your prediction will prove accurate. Boys have been taking that oath for over 100 years but I predict that within a year or two of gender-integration the oath will be changed, or there will at least be calls to change it.

There are two types of girls who will join the (Boy) Scouts: 1) those who sincerely want to participate, and 2) those who want to prove something and make changes (or whose parents do). For those in the second group, that oath is low hanging fruit. It is steeped in tradition, but agree or disagree, the tradition is changing. I am surprised the reference to God made it this long, and other parts ("morally straight", etc.) will offend someone. A lot of things will be changing, from latrines to merit badges to who knows what else. That is good news to some, bad new to others, but in any case it is inevitable.

• Options

@JBK said:

@steveben said:

In my opinion, your comments are entirely reasonable and on target, but I am in doubt that your prediction will prove accurate. Boys have been taking that oath for over 100 years but I predict that within a year or two of gender-integration the oath will be changed, or there will at least be calls to change it.

There are two types of girls who will join the (Boy) Scouts: 1) those who sincerely want to participate, and 2) those who want to prove something and make changes (or whose parents do). For those in the second group, that oath is low hanging fruit. It is steeped in tradition, but agree or disagree, the tradition is changing. I am surprised the reference to God made it this long, and other parts ("morally straight", etc.) will offend someone. A lot of things will be changing, from latrines to merit badges to who knows what else. That is good news to some, bad new to others, but in any case it is inevitable.

I totally agree. I'm in the "bad news" group and proud of it. :)

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spoke with a Girl Scout leader and she said its the Boy Scouts that are changing to let the girls in. As for now the Girl Scouts have no plan to change their name. Whether the Girl Scouts decide to let the boys in remains to be seen. Its probably more accurate that the boys/men are allowing/encouraging the change, not the girls/women. I highly suspect its about nothing more than the dollars.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

This way, the Scouts can accomodate hermaphrodites without offending anyone.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

@Kkathyl said:
    Really awful.

Yup.

+2

• Options

@BryceM said:
    I’m not so sure their decisions are based on the finances. Many of their largest sponsors are Church-affiliated groups and many of those have abandoned ship or likely will soon due to the drift away from traditional values and morality.

I predict the current catering to the en Vogue PC crowd will greatly hasten their already rapidly-progressing demise. Membership is in free-fall and has been so for several years. I have no problem treating all of God’s children as true equals in this world, but not every organization or every group of people needs to be exactly the same. Once we are, there are no longer any cultural treasures to celebrate.

TOTALLY AGREE!!!

• Options
    davidkdavidk Posts: 275 ✭✭✭

Well hopefully the food will be better and the camps cleaner :D

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a young son. I was planning to get him into Cub Scouts eventually. But given the PC turn, I’ll find something else to fit the bill.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

Despite the change, a coin weenie still feels the same.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    I’m not so sure their decisions are based on the finances. Many of their largest sponsors are Church-affiliated groups and many of those have abandoned ship or likely will soon due to the drift away from traditional values and morality.

I predict the current catering to the en Vogue PC crowd will greatly hasten their already rapidly-progressing demise. Membership is in free-fall and has been so for several years. I have no problem treating all of God’s children as true equals in this world, but not every organization or every group of people needs to be exactly the same. Once we are, there are no longer any cultural treasures to celebrate.

Declining membership for whatever the reason forced their hand. Financially they were going to die unless they changed something. I give them credit for trying. It still may not work. Girl Scouts could die as well

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Despite the change, a coin weenie still feels the same.

going forward , that will be the issue

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2018 7:44PM

I’m an Eagle Scout, former assistant scoutmaster (twice) and spent 3 years as scoutmaster. I’ve camped at the National scout ranch at Philmont and spent well over 100 nights camping with my troop. It guts me to see them moving so sharply away from what was a great source of education, mentorship, camaraderie, and enjoyment for me.

They were in gradual decline yes. Probably that is a natural consequence of our detachment from the outdoors, increasing secularism, the fact that national and council leadership grew increasingly out of touch, and kids who can’t sit still for more than 11 seconds without an electronic device.

They forgot their core demographic though (Christian, middle-America) and started changing things that DEEPLY offended their base. Those changes quickly opened gaping holes in a hull that was only leaking before. Yes, at this point they’re adrift, and grasping for anything that will float. I doubt they’ll attract any more girls than your average high school football team. A few will join and do great things, but not enough to cause anything more than logistical issues at their many scout camps and other facilities. Just wait to hear news of the first (Boy) Scout impregnated at scout camp.

They might survive, but it will be a mere shadow of what it was in post-WWII America.

Oh, and to keep this coin-related, I earned 42 merit badges as a kid and I never even looked at the coin collecting merit badge.

• Options

@BryceM said:
    Just wait to hear news of the first (Boy) Scout impregnated at scout camp.

Will there be badges for that ?

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the bright side, maybe Boy Scout memorabilia, badges, sashes etc. will rise in value. I got a bunch of it. Almost made Eagle, but lost interest. I wish I would have gone on and gotten it, just not so much anymore. The PC crowd is trying to ruin everything.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@BryceM said:
    They were in gradual decline yes. Probably that is a natural consequence of our detachment from the outdoors, increasing secularism, the fact that national and council leadership grew increasingly out of touch, and kids who can’t sit still for more than 11 seconds without an electronic device.

They forgot their core demographic though (Christian, middle-America) and started changing things that DEEPLY offended their base. Those changes quickly opened gaping holes in a hull that was only leaking before. Yes, at this point they’re adrift, and grasping for anything that will float. I doubt they’ll attract any more girls than your average high school football team. A few will join and do great things, but not enough to cause anything more than logistical issues at their many scout camps and other facilities. Just wait to hear news of the first (Boy) Scout impregnated at scout camp.

They might survive, but it will be a mere shadow of what it was in post-WWII America.

I hear you.

My 15 & 14 year old nephews seem to think this is a great idea. Each generation seems to more tolerant of the previous one. However, in this case I think they have toughts of conquests of another kind that have nothing to do with merit badges.

I have mixed feelings on this topic

m

I agree with your agreement. And BryceM hit the nail on the head! :(:(:(:(:(

• Options
    RoscoRosco Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭

*Indian Guides
    *Cub Scouts
    *Webelos
    *Boy Scouts, for me.
    Never achieved Eagle Scout, some of the absolute best times of my youth.

R.I.P Son 1986>2020

• Options

@Rosco said:
    *Indian Guides
    *Cub Scouts
    *Webelos
    *Boy Scouts, for me.
    Never achieved Eagle Scout, some of the absolute best times of my youth.

I eas in Indian guides before cub scouts. How politically incorrect would IG be considered now.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cub Scouts and Webelos for me

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem with social engineering is that the social engineers don't always know what the outcome is going to be, and their motives aren't always the best either.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    kenriles012kenriles012 Posts: 170 ✭✭

This is a numismatic forum. This thread and many other recent ones have little to nothing to do with the hobby. If you want to discuss, rant, whine, or debate about current events or politics there are plenty of places to do it. This thread should have been removed long ago.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Dime ..... The First Amendment is super important.

I absolutely love the United States of America and I personally would Never burn the American Flag, But I will stand by those who want to demonstrate their right to freedom of speech.

This is the great USA and we need to fight back against those who want to limit the first amendment and who want to jail reporters because of what they report.

Yes, the First Amendment is VERY important. But burning the Flag is not speech. Did you read my post that had the actual words in it and the breakdown I did on it word for word. I didn't change a thing.....left it exactly as the writers wrote it. Can you imagine how our forefathers would feel if the saw that burning the Flag was OK and the First Amendment was interpreted as saying "THAT"!

Technically, it's expression which is not included in the 1st Amendment as such. What forms of non-spoken/non-verbal expression would have been considered acceptable in those times?

There are those who don't believe that the Second Amendment applies to certain modern firearms.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davidk said:
    Well hopefully the food will be better and the camps cleaner :D

Watch it there. Some may construe your comment to be sexist in tone. Implying that the girls joining the Scouts will be relegated to traditional "women's work",I.E. cooking/cleaning. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@kenriles012 said:
    This is a numismatic forum. This thread and many other recent ones have little to nothing to do with the hobby. If you want to discuss, rant, whine, or debate about current events or politics there are plenty of places to do it. This thread should have been removed long ago.

The very first post and some others mentioned coins....

In any case. It's a nice diversion from all the threads about supposed doubled dies.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder what their magazine will be called now?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is Sick, Sad, and unfortunately the way it is probably going.

@halfhunter said:

• Options

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    People want to make this a PC issue but It’s still about the Benjamin’s. The Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts are both private sector organizations and both are broke. I think some would rather have both to cease to exist then combine and change.

m

As long as they still have the rights to Girl Scout cookies, there will be Girl Scouts. Those things get my money every time!

Doug
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2018 6:37PM

;)

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting back to the original focus, and as I had all the requirements for Eagle scout except the last project, well I made the "Life" rank, lol. They did have stamp and coin collecting merit badges right?

"Gender neutral" seems to be the trend with bathrooms on up. A local woman failed to lock the door of the local gas station latrine and I surprised her a couple days ago and swiftly exited and apologized.

There was a military tradition behind BSA does not undermine the value and many tools learned by boys becoming young men over the last 100 or so years. Many leading thinkers from Socrates on esteemed the military training; in many ways our culture has become soft and effeminate. My sister in law said how her father used to have the older brother take the younger one down to the basement to beat him up and toughen him up. At least that wouldn't have happened in the scouts much; instead some discipline is taught, I'm not sure what the alternatives are.

SIMPLE TRUTHS FROM WILL ROGERS Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco. Never kick a cow chip on a hot day. Never miss a good chance to shut up. Always drink upstream from the herd. If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging. Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier'n puttin' it back. The quickest way to double your money is to fold it and put it back into your pocket. After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut. Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. If you're riding' ahead of the herd, take a look back every now and then to make sure it's still there. There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works. There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

@halfhunter said:

@halfhunter said:

Ugh, those Mardi Gras beads have to go!!! Not a huge fan of the green tie. Does no one do leather bolos anymore?

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@BryceM said:

I hear you.

My 15 & 14 year old nephews seem to think this is a great idea. Each generation seems to more tolerant of the previous one.

As a brilliant man once said; "It's evolution baby!"

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    edited May 6, 2018 1:20AM

@SeattleSlammer said:

@1Mike1 said:

LOL change is happening all around you. I'm not sure what that has to do with political correctness or fascism.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file